FUDDS the disease of the shooting community

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

FUDDS the disease of the shooting community

Post by pajamatime » 24 Jan 2016, 3:39 pm

Gun Gripes Episode 94: "Fudds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL1aiZoeOA
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: FUDDS the disease of the shooting community

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Jan 2016, 6:33 pm

Significant contributor to the handgun buyback.....baaaaa I dont shoot 45s... and of course 96,,,ooooh I dont reallllly need a semi auto, dont have one anyhow :evil: :thumbsdown:

Same with the Adler, some feel they dont shoot a lot of shotgun, would miss a shottie lever. Theyve missed the point at that stage. As is clear as the sun rises in the east, the grabbers are NEVER finished.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 25 Jan 2016, 3:09 am

Difficult subject. It is usually beneficial to diplomatically find a way to get their support. There are a lot of Fudds in the US NRA, even though the NRA is full-on Gun Generation 2.0 now.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Strikey » 25 Jan 2016, 10:42 pm

Bugger, I must be a Fudd, don't care about any firearm with a barrel shorter than 20" with no butt or kickpad affixed and anything you have to load from the pointy end :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2016, 6:59 am

I watched about 1/3 of the video. These guys are about 20 years behind the times. Has any of them ever met Wayne LaPierre? I have. He practically stared down the barrel of my loaded AR-15 and went so bananas about "Assault Weapons Bans" that I thought he might whip something out and shoot all 3,000 of us there if anybody contested it.

Like I said, NRA has some Fudds, but NRA leadership is all in, Gun Generation 2.0 now, and has been for quite a while. 2A for the sake of 2A. Weapons for the sake of defense and independence. You guys saw the two video series we had on here a couple months ago. It is pretty clear what they stand for and it is their public face.

They do still support hunting and sport, and there is nothing wrong with it. The most common classes NRA instructors teach are self defense classes.

I think these two bumpkins have been hanging out too much at some Fudd gunshop or at Arfcom and have not spent enough time paying attention to what is going on or getting involved in it. They are very uniformed. Even the idea that the one guy first heard the term "Fudd" a few days ago suggests he doesn't drop his sister and get outside much.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by pajamatime » 26 Jan 2016, 11:00 am

Title_II wrote:I watched about 1/3 of the video. These guys are about 20 years behind the times. Has any of them ever met Wayne LaPierre? I have. He practically stared down the barrel of my loaded AR-15 and went so bananas about "Assault Weapons Bans" that I thought he might whip something out and shoot all 3,000 of us there if anybody contested it.

Like I said, NRA has some Fudds, but NRA leadership is all in, Gun Generation 2.0 now, and has been for quite a while. 2A for the sake of 2A. Weapons for the sake of defense and independence. You guys saw the two video series we had on here a couple months ago. It is pretty clear what they stand for and it is their public face.

They do still support hunting and sport, and there is nothing wrong with it. The most common classes NRA instructors teach are self defense classes.

I think these two bumpkins have been hanging out too much at some Fudd gunshop or at Arfcom and have not spent enough time paying attention to what is going on or getting involved in it. They are very uniformed. Even the idea that the one guy first heard the term "Fudd" a few days ago suggests he doesn't drop his sister and get outside much.

Sorry title I should have been a bit more detailed in the reasoning behind my post.
The reason why Australia has struggled to get any real progress in the last 20 or so years is because we have actual fudds in control of organisations like the SSAA. Closest thing to fudd free leadership in AU would be shooters union (gun rights advocate and international NRA affiliate) and combined firearms council of Victoria ( which is hoping to go more national in time ). These groups only progress if they get solid grass roots membership support :friends:
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2016, 1:13 pm

No worries, mate.

I know exactly how you feel!

We have Fudd problems as well. I was just explaining that the video was a little off-base in my opinion. NRA has a Fudd history, but their American Rifleman magazine has a black rifle on the cover almost every issue and they added a new magazine 10 years ago dealing strictly with 2A and killing bad guys. Others might disagree with me, but these two seemed kind of out of touch.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by pajamatime » 26 Jan 2016, 3:00 pm

Title_II wrote:No worries, mate.

I know exactly how you feel!

We have Fudd problems as well. I was just explaining that the video was a little off-base in my opinion. NRA has a Fudd history, but their American Rifleman magazine has a black rifle on the cover almost every issue and they added a new magazine 10 years ago dealing strictly with 2A and killing bad guys. Others might disagree with me, but these two seemed kind of out of touch.

actually It did raise my eyebrow to hear such things being said about the NRA as their actions don't look fuddy at all. I think back before 1975 the NRA was suffering in a similar way to how the SSAA are in Australia today. "towing the line and not protecting gun rights in its entirety" if you know what I mean? but today the NRA seems predominantly from at least a leadership point of view very pro gun rights in general but maybe gun gripes is referring to some of NRA member base?
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2016, 3:38 pm

NRA has a well-earned reputation for being a Fudd and compromise organization as you have pointed out. Those days are over, and these two guys are out of the loop. Which ALSO means they are probably not pulling their own weight for gun rights.

Fudds can still be a problem, and actually the NRA state reps (vs. national) are still complained about from time to time due to seemingly putting their own interests ahead of ours.

Some people will not forgive the NRA for past transgressions, real or imagined. This is how I feel:

"Then Jesus told them this parable: ‘Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, “Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.” I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent"

NRA is the biggest kid on the block. I am delighted to have them on our side TODAY, and generally willing to help them. There are other organizations I support and participate in as well, some of which may be "better" in certain ways, but can not summon the same pull on the national stage.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rakk » 05 Feb 2016, 11:00 am

I'm an idiot... Was trying to work out what FUDD was initials for :lol:

Took my a while to remember ol' Elmer.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by anthillinside » 07 Feb 2016, 11:16 am

As an IT acronym about 20 years ago Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (the spreading of)
Basically a negative form of "Spin”
Just another way to sway others to your point of view.
But the Elmer reference works for me to. :D
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Feb 2016, 11:19 am

anthillinside wrote:As an IT acronym about 20 years ago Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (the spreading of)

I thought a fudd was like the sound a useless cartridge makes when you fire it.

Guess fudds really are useless
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by pajamatime » 14 Feb 2016, 12:30 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
anthillinside wrote:As an IT acronym about 20 years ago Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (the spreading of)

I was shown this recently and if you watch the whole thing you come to realize that it was the Fudds that caused our problems to begin with and if that makes you mad at their behavior then you have ever right to be but its probably best you politely tell them that you won't tolerate what they are doing to gun rights in this country.

https://youtu.be/CC6aEx6xYFY
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 14 Feb 2016, 1:15 pm

pajamatime wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

I was shown this recently and if you watch the whole thing you come to realize that it was the Fudds that caused our problems to begin with and if that makes you mad at their behavior then you have ever right to be but its probably best you politely tell them that you won't tolerate what they are doing to gun rights in this country.

Exactly. Put into a different scenario, here is an equivalent scenario to what fudds in the shooting community are like:

Imagine you have a favourite restaurant you like eating at, it serves really good food and fine drinks, so you go there to have some really great dishes. Some people like spicy food, others like the deserts, some stick with juicy steaks, but then you get to the ones who only decide to eat the one dish everytime, and it as basic as basic can be, so bland and uninteresting, but they don't want anything else. Lets say its just a plate with one bit of tofu on it, and a glass of water.

Suddenly, the restaurant's rivals and people who dislike the restaurant start to file complaints. Saying stuff like the spicy food is too spicy and dangerous to be given to people. Restaurant now can't sell the spicy food, so everybody who liked suddenly go without it. Guy with tofu doesn't even try to stop it from happening, he keeps on being stuck in his own universe eating tofu. He might even be supporting that dish off the menu.

Now we have a batch of those in the restaurant still who want to keep going there, they join up with the desert crew, and really enjoy their cakes and ice cream. Suddenly, rival companies and people who dislike shop start up again and spin yarns that the deserts cause diabetes and rot kids teeth. For public safety, they take all the deserts off the menu. The people who liked the deserts protest, but to no avail, the cakes are gone. The guy with his tofu still doesn't care one bit.

So suddenly, we find the last group enjoying the juicy steaks that , mixed in with people who still really want to keep going there are one of the only ways this restaurant can make a profit and keep going. Rivals and the people who dislike the shop come in again, then complain about how the steaks cause heart disease, bringing up biased evidence and literally junk so that they can have the steaks removed from the menu. Then, the store takes off them too. Even after all the protests to keep them up there, they no longer can produce them to the public that really like the shop. This goes on and on, removing this drink, this bread, this cracker, down and down, while the guy who only eats tofu still gos there and sits in the corner, watching as the place turns into a hollow shell. Yet, he still couldn't give a damn about it.

finally, he goes to the restaurant, when no one else is there, only to find out it has been closed down due to bankruptcy. He sits at the doors and screams that he can't get his own way, shouting at passing people that they never helped stop this from happening. So whatnow? He realises his selfishness cost him everything, because he never understood that really, they all were in it together. This is the reason our gun rights have been stripped away, because selfish asshats never stood up and fought. They only care when its their firearm that is in the eyes of big brother. Then we all have to gang up with them to stop it from happening, though they never did it for us.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 14 Feb 2016, 2:44 pm

In the meantime I put a deposit down on Adler, for when they land, just because :) I don't even like leaver action, but I dislike greens more.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 22 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

I'd like to see "to annoy the greens" under the genuine reason on a license/PTA form :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by pajamatime » 22 Feb 2016, 5:54 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
pajamatime wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Exactly. Put into a different scenario, here is an equivalent scenario to what fudds in the shooting community are like:

Imagine you have a favourite restaurant you like eating at, it serves really good food and fine drinks, so you go there to have some really great dishes. Some people like spicy food, others like the deserts, some stick with juicy steaks, but then you get to the ones who only decide to eat the one dish everytime, and it as basic as basic can be, so bland and uninteresting, but they don't want anything else. Lets say its just a plate with one bit of tofu on it, and a glass of water.

Suddenly, the restaurant's rivals and people who dislike the restaurant start to file complaints. Saying stuff like the spicy food is too spicy and dangerous to be given to people. Restaurant now can't sell the spicy food, so everybody who liked suddenly go without it. Guy with tofu doesn't even try to stop it from happening, he keeps on being stuck in his own universe eating tofu. He might even be supporting that dish off the menu.

Now we have a batch of those in the restaurant still who want to keep going there, they join up with the desert crew, and really enjoy their cakes and ice cream. Suddenly, rival companies and people who dislike shop start up again and spin yarns that the deserts cause diabetes and rot kids teeth. For public safety, they take all the deserts off the menu. The people who liked the deserts protest, but to no avail, the cakes are gone. The guy with his tofu still doesn't care one bit.

So suddenly, we find the last group enjoying the juicy steaks that , mixed in with people who still really want to keep going there are one of the only ways this restaurant can make a profit and keep going. Rivals and the people who dislike the shop come in again, then complain about how the steaks cause heart disease, bringing up biased evidence and literally junk so that they can have the steaks removed from the menu. Then, the store takes off them too. Even after all the protests to keep them up there, they no longer can produce them to the public that really like the shop. This goes on and on, removing this drink, this bread, this cracker, down and down, while the guy who only eats tofu still gos there and sits in the corner, watching as the place turns into a hollow shell. Yet, he still couldn't give a damn about it.

finally, he goes to the restaurant, when no one else is there, only to find out it has been closed down due to bankruptcy. He sits at the doors and screams that he can't get his own way, shouting at passing people that they never helped stop this from happening. So whatnow? He realises his selfishness cost him everything, because he never understood that really, they all were in it together. This is the reason our gun rights have been stripped away, because selfish asshats never stood up and fought. They only care when its their firearm that is in the eyes of big brother. Then we all have to gang up with them to stop it from happening, though they never did it for us.

excellent post m8! Thank you.
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 22 Feb 2016, 9:32 pm

I was pretty sure that fudd is - Elmer Fudd. That is, a dude or dudette who cares about their thing - in this instance, for example, hunting rifle, but nothing else, like handguns or semi-auto rifles, etc. Pretty much the Australian shooting community in the past. Well, I don't shoot this, so I don't care rather than having a united front.

This is different to FUD which is an IT acronym for 'fear, uncertainty and doubt', another name for a scare campaign.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 29 Feb 2016, 11:59 am

Elmer Fudd is right.

Only cares about their one specific discipline and not the bigger picture.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by happyhunter » 29 Feb 2016, 12:21 pm

juststarting wrote:I was pretty sure that fudd is - Elmer Fudd. That is, a dude or dudette who cares about their thing - in this instance, for example, hunting rifle, but nothing else, like handguns or semi-auto rifles, etc. Pretty much the Australian shooting community in the past. Well, I don't shoot this, so I don't care rather than having a united front.

This is different to FUD https://tails.boum.org/news/index.en.htmlwhich is an IT acronym for 'fear, uncertainty and doubt', another name for a scare campaign.

You got it arse about. The FUDDS were membersof the target/clay shooting fraternity. It was hunters who had their guns confiscated. The clay "pidgeons" got to keep their self loaders.

Fist time I heard the term FUD was in reference to the negative proganda generated by microsoft agains free operating systems. That was way back.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by pajamatime » 05 Mar 2016, 11:54 pm

BBJ wrote:Elmer Fudd is right.

Only cares about their one specific discipline and not the bigger picture.

Yep that's the one. :thumbsup:
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Mar 2016, 6:28 am

pajamatime wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:
pajamatime wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

excellent post m8! Thank you.

I was in the mood to write something down, no problem :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Mar 2016, 5:59 pm

I don't think it's fair to label individuals in the shooting community as " fuds " or " part of the problem "
We have 2 distinct players
Shooters and anti gun activists

Most shooters simply enjoy shooting and some are passionate enough and have the time to activity lobby in our favor ... most just shoot.

Anti gun activists have only 1 job to do ... activity campaign against us.

I think the real dease of the shooting community is anti gun activists.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Mar 2016, 5:46 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I don't think it's fair to label individuals in the shooting community as " fuds " or " part of the problem "

Most shooters simply enjoy shooting and some are passionate enough and have the time to activity lobby in our favor ... most just shoot.

Anti Gun activists are part of the problem, but fudds make it a whole lot worse. Shooters that actively agree to more restriction/banning certain types of firearms or believing gun control actually helps in any form is how the 96 NFA started and the pistol buyback happened. If you have somebody you know who is anti gun, try taking them out shooting with you, educate them and bring them up to speed that firearms are not the problem, whether they be semi, lever, pump, bolt or single shot.

The ones that will accept legislation willy nilly, argue against ownership of certain types of firearms e.t.c are the assholes that are just plain lazy. Fudds are what gun control advocates love, so naturally we should do our best to remove as many as possible.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 07 Mar 2016, 6:02 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I don't think it's fair to label individuals in the shooting community as " fuds " or " part of the problem "

I think the large piece being missed is that they are not 2 distinct players. We have shooters that ARE anti gun activists. Fudds are not merely disinterested, the majority agree with additional legislation restricting our rights. I am disinterested in a lot of guns, types of gun collecting, and gun sports. Am I somebody else's Fudd? No.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Mar 2016, 7:11 am

Heckler303 wrote:

The ones that will accept legislation willy nilly, argue against ownership of certain types of firearms e.t.c are the assholes that are just plain lazy. Fudds are what gun control advocates love, so naturally we should do our best to remove as many as possible.

Why would we remove anyone from our incredibly small user base???

Yes there are fuds, there are fuds in every day life for every hobby, sport and recreation.

So whether we have fuds or not is irrelevant as their number needs to be counted in our overall strength..

Where our problem lies is representation. Like the anti's keep saying the "gun lobby"

How can you expect shooters to be unified when our so called gun lobby is fractured.

We have the
SSAA
Shooters Union
NRAA
And then the Facebook groups
FOU
OSA
Vic firearms council
Etc

And not one of them speaks for ALL disciplines..
There is nearly 1,000,000 shooters in Australia politicians should be scared of that number but the reality is we are fractured so badly from the individual to our representation.

I don't know what the answer is. We need a clean out at the ssaa and they to start being more like the NRA as they already have the numbers and no one else is close to those numbers.

Removing fuds as I see it would hurt our numbers too much.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Mar 2016, 2:03 pm

Wylie27 wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Yes there are fuds, there are fuds in every day life for every hobby, sport and recreation.

So whether we have fuds or not is irrelevant as their number needs to be counted in our overall strength..

Where our problem lies is representation. Like the anti's keep saying the "gun lobby"

How can you expect shooters to be unified when our so called gun lobby is fractured.

We have the
SSAA
Shooters Union
NRAA
FOU
OSA
Vic firearms council
Etc

There is nearly 1,000,000 shooters in Australia politicians should be scared of that number but the reality is we are fractured so badly from the individual to our representation.

I don't know what the answer is. We need a clean out at the ssaa and they to start being more like the NRA as they already have the numbers and no one else is close to those numbers.

What's the honest point of having them when they basically work for the enemy? Some you can teach and help stop their fuddism, but the hard set fudds are what hurt us the most. The SSAA is full of them, so if anything was to get done you would need to remove the top fudds and put in new people who know how to work with the public and also fully support firearms with no set limit, because then we would start getting some progress done, inch by inch.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Mar 2016, 2:03 pm

Wylie27 wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

We have the
SSAA
Shooters Union
NRAA
FOU
OSA
Vic firearms council
Etc

What's the honest point of having them when they basically work for the enemy? Some you can teach and help stop their fuddism, but the hard set fudds are what hurt us the most. The SSAA is full of them, so if anything was to get done you would need to remove the top fudds and put in new people who know how to work with the public and also fully support firearms with no set limit, because then we would start getting some progress done, inch by inch.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Mar 2016, 2:04 pm

Wylie27 wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

We have the
SSAA
Shooters Union
NRAA
FOU
OSA
Vic firearms council
Etc

Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Mar 2016, 2:35 pm

If we got rid of the fuds from the ssaa then the shooters Union could potentially have more members. :sarcasm:

It's apathy, it's protecting my interests etc. that's what drives fudism..

Ohh well it's a shotgun, I have no interest in that.. Insert your category of interest here.

I see it every day at my local and this is with NEW members..

i ask you this question because you are new to shooting.. How many fuds have you actually come across and why do you say they are fudds?

Not having a shot, I am seriously interested as you have formed strong opinions
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics