Aus isn't the only country that victimises victims...

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Aus isn't the only country that victimises victims...

Post by David Brown » 23 Feb 2016, 4:59 pm

Gen93

You are making too much sense! Stop it immediately :-)

So in Victoria you can't have a small blade knife on you even if you have a useful reason, like using it at work. I carry one all the time. And there is no way on earth I would want to use it for self defence. It is not big enough and it would only add to the problem. A nice XDM or M&P or RAP etc would however be a nice option.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Feb 2016, 6:38 pm

David Brown wrote:Gen93

You are making too much sense! Stop it immediately :-)

So in Victoria you can't have a small blade knife on you even if you have a useful reason, like using it at work. I carry one all the time. And there is no way on earth I would want to use it for self defence. It is not big enough and it would only add to the problem. A nice XDM or M&P or RAP etc would however be a nice option.

Sorry DB, I'll try to contain myself..... ;)

Knife carriage only with as a 'lawful excuse', occupation etc, say farmer (who might need to undertake an emergency castration :lol: :unknown: ) I'm trying to think of another job where a knife is a common tool, no doubt there are many more....

But a knife "to cut my apply at lunch".... would probably see you in more crap than - a one legged.... dang I think I've run out of funny material today.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by David Brown » 24 Feb 2016, 11:02 am

I use mine opening cartons, cutting packing straps…..has been used on fruit a couple of times.

Was that going to be than a three legged cat with a dog after it?
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 24 Feb 2016, 11:28 pm

chacka wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:We can not carry a knife, period, certainly not for self defence...
We can not own a gun for the reason of self defence...

But I'm unaware of any law that prohibits or permits the use of particular means or methods of self defence.

So, I would like to see the law that says "use of X in self defence is illegal"

I don't have the information handy to copy paste a quote from but I'm pretty sure it's worded in one of the acts that carrying anything for the purposes of self defence is illegal.

Do most people understand how completely insane that sounds? And how malevolently totalitarian it is?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by David Brown » 25 Feb 2016, 9:02 am

As best I can sum it up, it is this. If you need to use force in self defence you can use whatever you have available so long as it is reasonable. In other words you are threatened with death by spaghetti and you defend with an AR15. Kind of silly but you get the point.

If you use whatever is at hand, be it a cordless drill and drill bit, baseball bat or 1911, thats OK. But you are never allowed to have them close at hand for the purpose of self defence. You can have them for their normal intended purpose of course and the secondary use is OK if necessary. For firearms the only primary uses are occupational, hunting or target sports and they must be locked away except while being used, transported to and from your home or while cleaning.

You are not permitted to just have loaded 1911's laying around the house, that is unsafe storage.

The old joke about your wife being raped and murdered……just ask the crime to hold on a few minutes while you unlock the safe, get the pistol out, then unlock the ammo box (separate of course) and load the magazine.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 01 Mar 2016, 10:52 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:you can not carry a baseball bat in the car.....(might be construed as carrying for S.Defence/offence)
You CAN carry a baseball bat, mitt and balls and associate stuff - because you are prepared for a random game of baseball!! ;)

Keeping a breaker bar in the car is great for..... changing tires.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Firearms related media and politics