Guns in the media today

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Guns in the media today

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2016, 7:08 pm

How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Guns in the media today

Post by AusTac » 23 Feb 2016, 7:40 pm

Not a bad read all be it with a hint of bias/emotional appeal
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Feb 2016, 7:52 pm

The barrett is banned by the geneva convention..........is funny.

When these parasites proclaim to speak on our behalf.... Australians dont get the gun thing..... its annoying.

This is on sbs tonight.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2016, 8:23 pm

Some B.S about the 50BMG being banned by the Geneva convention, it's a myth cause the fifty been killing people since before WWI. The U.S are not signatories of the Geneva convention anyway from what I've read so that comment is strange. I suspect they were wound up by the boys trying to big note the rifle and making it sound more dangerous or cooler then it is. I agree that most Aussies don't understand the U.S gun culture and they sorta tried to educate us a bit by explaining a little about the 2nd amendment. Most people here are enthusiasts and have an enthusiasts level of knowledge about firearms where as the average mug on the street only knows what the media wants them to know. Similar to how many tourists get here thinking they'll see kangaroos everywhere and it's a short taxi ride to Ayers Rock. When my wife first arrived in Australia 13yrs ago her entire knowledge of this country was acquired through Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin. Landing in Sydney she was amazed that we had tall buildings, roads, trains and very upset the first skips she saw were at the Zoo and not hopping around the streets of downtown Sydney.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 23 Feb 2016, 8:41 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Feb 2016, 7:20 am

Dont know about the banned bit..... bit of a stretch - I know the Geneva conventions cover prisoners of war and there treatment, dont be cruel etc, there is the Hague convention that bans expanding projectiles, US is a signatory to both, not the Taliban, hence non-fmjs in the barries in their backyard..

This is just ordinary reporting, these guys make documentaries. That start by saying "we're anti-gun".... hand them a gun and theyre like a pig in the proverbial (though they acted like idiots when not firing them)
So reality is - they are/were NOT anti-gun but had simply never shot or shot very little before..... unfortunately the trend for the non-shooters is to take the ANTI stance, because thats 'what you do' probably helps them fit into the leftist media/tv/doco industry....

interesting is how much they enjoyed shooting once they were exposed to it.... not many noobs hand back the gun and say "Nah... this is not as enjoyable as I expected..." They invariable hand it back once the mag is empty.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 7:41 am

brett1868 wrote:Landing in Sydney she was amazed that we had tall buildings, roads, trains and very upset the first skips she saw were at the Zoo and not hopping around the streets of downtown Sydney.

I was training with an Israeli who i was friendly with. He was telling me how he was surprised not to see 'roos in Melb; i laughed.
He then went on to say something about driving his 4wd on the highway back home. I feigned surprise and he enquired why i was surprised. I said, " i thought you all just rode camels on sand dunes!"

He didn't get the joke and was not impressed. Any training sessions we had after that had an added element of realism. :unknown:
Last edited by Gwion on 24 Feb 2016, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 7:46 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
interesting is how much they enjoyed shooting once they were exposed to it.... not many noobs hand back the gun and say "Nah... this is not as enjoyable as I expected..." They invariable hand it back once the mag is empty.

Like the redhead, Cary, on "Mythbusters". Said that before she started on the show she was not fond of guns, now her favourite part of work is the episodes that involve shooting; like cutting down a tree with a gatt, for instance.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 24 Feb 2016, 8:24 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Dont know about the banned bit..... bit of a stretch - I know the Geneva conventions cover prisoners of war and there treatment, dont be cruel etc, there is the Hague convention that bans expanding projectiles, US is a signatory to both, not the Taliban, hence non-fmjs in the barries in their backyard..

Absolutely legal to use the M82A3 aka XM107 against personel. What's banned is SLAP ammo because it is dangerous to use in that weapon.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Heckler303 » 24 Feb 2016, 5:04 pm

If only they could find a way to stop turning their weapons on each other. Ending gun violence is one of the most serious and complex problems this country faces. And the most unique to the “land of the free”

Knew it, had to be some kind of BS statement in there somewhere. Aside from that last bit, okay read actually.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 24 Feb 2016, 6:15 pm

Like the redhead, Cary, on "Mythbusters". Said that before she started on the show she was not fond of guns, now her favourite part of work is the episodes that involve shooting; like cutting down a tree with a gatt, for instance.

She's looks exceptionally happy at the end....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqW9D29eE0I
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 26 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm

Wow. I'm not sure what's more impressive, the destruction of the tree, or that it cost thousands of dollars worth of ammo to do it (can you imagine at aussie prices, 2250 rounds)
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 26 Feb 2016, 1:44 pm

sbd3927 wrote:Wow. I'm not sure what's more impressive, the destruction of the tree, or that it cost thousands of dollars worth of ammo to do it (can you imagine at aussie prices, 2250 rounds)

Her arse.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 26 Feb 2016, 3:12 pm

I'm sure she has a far flung fan base. Hot. Redhead. Can handle tools and build stuff.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Feb 2016, 3:36 pm

Title_II wrote:
sbd3927 wrote:Wow. I'm not sure what's more impressive, the destruction of the tree, or that it cost thousands of dollars worth of ammo to do it (can you imagine at aussie prices, 2250 rounds)

Her arse.

my arse.... ;)

She doesnt do it for me.....

and a tree at 20 paces is kind of wasting the dillon.....twilight, from a chopper, tracers....is how you do it. :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Feb 2016, 3:59 pm

brett1868 wrote:

She's looks exceptionally happy at the end....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqW9D29eE0I

There is an episode where they use phone books to bullet proof a car, she was very happy to stop the car with the 50 BMG.

Mythbusters do lots of gun stuff.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 27 Feb 2016, 5:29 pm

Mythbusters do lots of gun stuff

I think Jamie is a prepper as most of the guns they use tend to be from his collection. I'll have to see if I can find the episode with the 50BMG phonebook armour plating.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Feb 2016, 6:00 pm

lots of guns is prepping?

Most interesting was the shoot into the water episode, where the high speed rifle rounds, Browning, aught six etc disintegrated, while the slower pistol rounds didnt, but they went farther under the water....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 03 Mar 2016, 1:13 pm

Just saw the Ads on Ch 7 about the upcoming special on the Port Arthur massacre...The timing reeks of an underlying anti gun agenda.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/#page1
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 03 Mar 2016, 3:40 pm

brett1868 wrote:Just saw the Ads on Ch 7 about the upcoming special on the Port Arthur massacre...The timing reeks of an underlying anti gun agenda.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/#page1

I won't be wasting any time watching it. It's time I could be using prepping brass and cleaning rifles :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by huccl » 10 May 2016, 10:52 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:lots of guns is prepping?

It is if you're wearing a flannel shirt and trucker hat :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics