Bloody bowhunters

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Bloody bowhunters

Post by AnotherMisfire » 24 Feb 2016, 11:07 pm

For anyone who saw 7.30 on Wednesday... All I can think is how can hunters be so dumb when it comes to dealing with the media and putting forward our case.

For those of you who didn't see it. Essentially a feral cat bow hunter copped online hate for posting pictures of feral pest control of cats (unfair), so goes hunting with 7.30 (questionable), manages to hit a cat twice with bow arrows and not kill it, but rather have it run off into hiding, not to be found (sigh).

Segue into SSAA Farmer Assist - so firearms holders are now dragged into it.

To be honest - the ABC reported fairly - but this lack of media sense among some hunters gives me the s**ts. If a paintballer needs a licence, why don't bow hunters? This could have been such a good info/public awareness piece if it wasn't for these bow hunters.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4413231.htm
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: Bloody bowhunters

Post by brett1868 » 24 Feb 2016, 11:24 pm

:lol: Not really fair to tar them all with the same brush, many are highly skilled and act responsibly. Just like shooting they have their share of Cowboys as well I see. If I had 2 good knees I'd be having a crack at bow hunting, all the joy of hunting and none of the grief of waiting periods, PTA's, inspections or being slammed by the media every chance they get. I'm considering getting a knee replacement this year so possibly can try the bow out if the pain is reduced enough. Either that or put the cash towards the Korth .357 I recently had the pleasure of fondling and using the change for a walking stick and painkillers :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AnotherMisfire » 24 Feb 2016, 11:38 pm

Yeah I know...

My view of what got filmed is that they were doing the right thing - but that isn't gonna wash with the general public.

I just wonder if the fact they haven't had to suffer the pain of licensing makes them less aware of what a small bit of bad PR can do.

But dammit guys - if the ABC is there filming you - wait for a f***ing 100% clean shot.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Feb 2016, 5:07 am

What? He didn't retrieve his $30 odd bucks worth of arrows!??!

A joke in poor taste, perhaps.

Bow hunting is illegal here in Tas. Bloody stupid! I do agree there are too many 'roo (or insert animal here) with arrow in head' stories. These aren't from 'hunters', they are from idiots.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Feb 2016, 7:56 am

Gwion wrote:What? He didn't retrieve his $30 odd bucks worth of arrows!??!

A joke in poor taste, perhaps.

Bow hunting is illegal here in Tas. Bloody stupid!

I'm pretty sure that only applies to game animal like deer, rabbits/hares can be taken with bows, and I've heard plenty of cases of recurves and compounds used on them with success.

Crossbows aren't available here though sadly.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 25 Feb 2016, 8:35 am

From: http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/wildlife-manag ... quirements

I have highlighted the relevant phrase. Some people insist that some things are legal in Tas but have not read or understood the specific language of the regulation. SImilarly, some people think some things are illegal or difficult for the same reasons. It say's nothing about "game species", it says "all species"; which is inclusive of all species listed on the information page. Hunting is classed as hunting. There is no distinction between pest/feral shooting and hunting other than that covered by the Crop Protection Permit system.

Hunting Regulations - including Bag Limits

General Regulations Applicable to all Species

There are a number of [i]regulations applicable to all species
. The important ones are listed below.
Hunting at night is prohibited. (Night means the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.)
The use of baits, live decoys, traps, snares, spears, bows and arrows, explosives, poison, bird lime and chemical compounds is prohibited.
Solid jacketed military ammunition is prohibited.
Hunters must produce their current Firearms Licence to obtain a game licence unless they are exempt under the Firearms Act 1996 and the Wildlife (General) Regulations 2010.[/i]
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Feb 2016, 8:43 am

Damn, that sucks.

Bowfishing is still legal right?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 25 Feb 2016, 9:12 am

You would have to check fisheries (IFS) for that.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 25 Feb 2016, 10:59 am

I would have gotten a crossbow ages ago if it was legal. I've used an Excalibur crossbow a few times and I'm really impressed with its capabilities, especially its silence!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Squiddy » 25 Feb 2016, 11:04 am

I must say the rules on required calibres etc for hunting could do with a review. You can use a bow and arrow for Deer, but the minimum cartridge required is a .270 (for most kinds of deer here in Vic).

Rules out the .260 and 6.5s which are more than equal to the task...
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 25 Feb 2016, 11:21 am

If you look at the regs for deer there is also a requirement for the type of arrow head. It's just as important as choosing the right bullet.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Feb 2016, 5:40 pm

I Feel sorry for Zac. He will get a lot of flack over this but was just trying to do the right thing.
Lesson learned, unless you know what you are doing and can with certainty predict the result, don't play with the media.

At least the ABC was fair.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AnotherMisfire » 25 Feb 2016, 9:32 pm

Agreed OldBloke...

Does remind me of the saying ... When you're in a hole - put down the shovel...
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Feb 2016, 10:21 am

AnotherMisfire wrote:Agreed OldBloke...

Geeez,,,,,, is that where I've gone wrong all these years ?

I've got to the stage sometimes that I thought daytime was only 1 hr around midday. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AnotherMisfire » 27 Feb 2016, 1:09 am

Die Judicii wrote:

I've got to the stage sometimes that I thought daytime was only 1 hr around midday. :lol:

My parents told me when I was six and digging in the sandpit that if I kept going I'd eng up in China.

I don't think they realised I wasn't a great detector of sarcasm until a few hours later when I'd excavated the majority of the sandpit and was about to crack the metre mark...
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by RDobber » 03 Mar 2016, 2:29 pm

Geez bow hunting cats.

Sounds like challenging work to get a broad-head through something that doesn't need much to put it down humanly.

Buy a rimfire :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 03 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

Kind of agree. Cats are not a great target with a bow. Would be very easy to stuff a shot due to the speed of the arrow, the nimbleness of the cat and the fact you need to get within reliable range with out spooking the little darling.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 03 Mar 2016, 3:43 pm

Blunt tips work well on small game like cats, same type that is used on rabbits. My bow skills are pretty average but I've seen blokes hit moving targets with good consistancy. Like anything the skill of the operator determines the outome.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by pajamatime » 04 Mar 2016, 1:45 pm

AnotherMisfire wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

My parents told me when I was six and digging in the sandpit that if I kept going I'd eng up in China.

I don't think they realised I wasn't a great detector of sarcasm until a few hours later when I'd excavated the majority of the sandpit and was about to crack the metre mark...

my parents said the same thing and I attempted the same dig. needless to say i was destroyed when I realized I was never going to reach china. =(
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 05 Mar 2016, 8:54 pm

AnotherMisfire wrote:Yeah I know...

My view of what got filmed is that they were doing the right thing - but that isn't gonna wash with the general public.

I just wonder if the fact they haven't had to suffer the pain of licensing makes them less aware of what a small bit of bad PR can do.

But dammit guys - if the ABC is there filming you - wait for a f***ing 100% clean shot.

Yeah, I'm sure a license would have ensured a headshot. No need to even practice.

If you ever want to learn to hunt, pair up with a bow hunter. Shooting a bunny at 400m is fun and all, and good shooting, but it is not hunting. You bowhunt a few years and you'll be able to leave all your gear at home and go hunting with a rock and a knife. These people hunt. When the rifle hunters are coming home empty handed, the bow hunters are filling the freezer. I can't believe it's not popular over there. You guys seem pretty enthusiastic about hunting.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 05 Mar 2016, 9:17 pm

Title_II wrote:
AnotherMisfire wrote:Yeah I know...

Yeah, I'm sure a license would have ensured a headshot. No need to even practice.

If you ever want to learn to hunt, pair up with a bow hunter. Shooting a bunny at 400m is fun and all, and good shooting, but it is not hunting. You bowhunt a few years and you'll be able to leave all your gear at home and go hunting with a rock and a knife. These people hunt. When the rifle hunters are coming home empty handed, the bow hunters are filling the freezer. I can't believe it's not popular over there. You guys seem pretty enthusiastic about hunting.

It's growing. A lot of gun shops are stocking archery gear.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Mar 2016, 9:31 pm

I just can't be bothered chasing arrows, that's for fit people :lol:

Bow hunters have done a good job of giving the general hunting community a bad name here in Australia. A photo of a poorly placed arrow in a Kangaroo did the rounds recently and judging by the comments, all hunters are cruel sick twisted bastards. ( I believe hunting roos with bows n arrows is illegal here )

There has been numerous similar negative stories surrounding bow hunting here in Australia , PETA and RSPCA lap it up and paste it all over the net.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/anima ... j2ab5.html
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... a/2674420/
http://ktla.com/2016/02/11/multiple-bir ... ea-police/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rgery.html

When something gets away with an arrow or two hanging out of it, it's like a big red flag that doesn't go unnoticed.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 05 Mar 2016, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 05 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

The same douchebag is on Facebook posting up images of him and a mate "practising" in a motel room into a beer carton....... Looks like they are having an awesome party

You just want to sit him down and slap the bejesus out of him..

if the anti's see it, you can bet your butt the bow guys will need a licence..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 05 Mar 2016, 10:12 pm

There's a bloke in town who practises in his front yard. Nobody seems to care.

Those negative stories just make news because arrows are visible and somebody got a pic/footage. Most bow hunters, like shooters, are responsible people. A tiny minority of shooters illegally shoot natives and we get tarred with the same brush by the antis so lets not fall for that trap.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 10:50 pm

When those photos and news stories of "bowhunter leaves arrow in kangaroo" do the rounds, it usually turns out that some latch key teenager was given a bow for target work and decides to go take pot shots with out knowing (or caring) a thing about ethical hunting or game regulations.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 05 Mar 2016, 11:19 pm

PETA is a terrorist organization. If they are keeping that kind of company, you should just use CS on them or deport them to Afghanistan.

Although I don't hunt I do have a hunting certificate and every year when I get my fishing license I pay the $5 for a PETA stamp. Hoping to finally bag my limit this spring.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Mar 2016, 11:59 am

Peta stamp?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 06 Mar 2016, 12:10 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Peta stamp?

Bag limit of 12.

pajamatime wrote:
AnotherMisfire wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

my parents said the same thing and I attempted the same dig. needless to say i was destroyed when I realized I was never going to reach china. =(

Mine told me the same thing but at least I am on the other side of the world. Seems your parents had a bad sense of direction. You would have dug to New Jersey. :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

hell no. no kid deserves that!
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia