QLD Pol minister investigated, shooting rats in suburb home

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

QLD Pol minister investigated, shooting rats in suburb home

Post by RealNick » 29 Feb 2016, 8:00 am

Googled this after hearing it on the radio.

Read the bold bit, what a load! :lol:

Call for investigation into Police Minister Bill Byrne shooting rats at his suburban home

PREMIER Annastacia Palaszczuk has been called on to stand down gun-toting Police Minister Bill Byrne for using a rifle to shoot rats in his suburban home.

The Opposition will today write to Police Commissioner Ian Stewart calling for an ­investigation into whether Mr Byrne has complied with Queensland’s Weapons Act, which he ­administers.

Shooters groups also warned he may have committed an offence and urged Queenslanders to use baits rather than the Minister’s method for urban rodent ­removal.

However, the Queensland Premier is standing by Mr Byrne, with her office insisting firing a weapon at home was legal and any offence would be outdated anyway.

The Weapons Act restricts recreational licence holders to shooting on rural land with the owner’s approval, while those with a club licence can only fire a weapon at a shooting range.

Mr Byrne told The Courier-Mail that on a number of occasions he’d taken aim at rats with his .22 calibre rifle inside the roof of his Rockhampton home.

The former army officer’s comments were aimed at shooting down malicious rumours that he was reprimanded by the army for firing a weapon during a domestic dispute in the 1990s.

“This rumour started out a long time ago when I was still in the military,” Mr Byrne said, adding he’d fired rat-shot bullets to “remove rats and the like” in his home.

Opposition police spokesman Jarrod Bleijie said Mr Byrne needed to come clean about what gun licence he held at the time.

“There are holes throughout the Minister’s story,” he said. “Annastacia Palaszczuk should immediately stand the Police Minister down until police assess the situation.”

Queensland Shooters Union president Graham Park said Mr Byrne may have “committed an offence under the Weapons Act”.

“This is why we are always trying to work with the government, so we can streamline legislation so police resources aren’t used on things like mouse shootings,” he said.

He recommended using baits rather than bullets.

Earlier, Ms Palaszczuk said Mr Byrne had appropriately dispelled the rumour.

Ms Palaszczuk’s spokesman last night said that the Opposition was entitled to make a complaint, however Mr Byrne was allowed to shoot a gun in his own home.

“As owner of the property, Bill didn’t require anyone’s consent,” the Premier’s spokesman said.

I bet you're all confident now that you can use your rifle in your house in the suburbs completely legally and not be charged with anything, right?

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: QLD Pol minister investigated, shooting rats in suburb h

Post by brett1868 » 29 Feb 2016, 8:06 am

We get some bloody big cockroaches in NSW, might follow his example and get some rat shot for the 22 :lol: or maybe not....
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 29 Feb 2016, 8:21 am

Well the next big arse huntsman we get is going to cope a 12 gauge
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Feb 2016, 8:42 am

This is incredible .... The quarterwit Premier of QLD actually gave an approval for all firearm owners in 'her' state to legally discharge their firearms in their own home???

If she actually stated that (I'd like to hear it or read it on a press release from her office, not an interpretation on the couriermail site....)
Then she WILL be wishing she could 're-live' the day she said it and a retraction will follow....

As far as the allegations go, true or otherwise of marital issues+firearms use..... WHY is he still you PolMin?? run out of candidates again?
If there are any black or grey marks allegations or not - then the individual is not worthy of such a ministerial role.

....and the bit about the outdated offence..... well, once he retrospectively changes the law or issues his own exemptions.... he'll be right.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by David Brown » 29 Feb 2016, 9:14 am

Gen93

Nail on head!

To be frank, or Bill if you prefer :-) I think shooting rats with ratshot is a fair thing, the real problem is our stupid laws. Mind you even in the USA inside city limits on suburban blocks this would not be legal. But even if you did have a pest problem and you did shoot them……..why the heck would you admit that on public record. That is dumb.

I think maybe they were onto bigger incidents (allegedly rumours only) and he thought that little admission would satisfy the wolves. Problem is the next ack are a bit more hungry….
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Feb 2016, 9:29 am

Admitting to any wrong doing, especially firing a gun in you HOME.... is beyond stupidity.. he's obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed - sharp as a bowling ball but they're not usually kept in the shed :)

But yes, the issue isnt whether we should be able to shoot rat shot in the house....IMHO within the confines of your property you should be able to do anything you like provided you do not injure anyone else.... point is this guy is supposedly the top dog when it comes to enforcing firearm, sorry, theyre 'weapons' in Qld....Law - he expects the book to be thrown as such insignificant acts as inadvertently leaving a 22 round under the front seat of the ute on the way back from the hunt or range....

So the question is, its mid morning, why hasnt he been stood down yet pending investigations (read pending search for another candidate)

Deflection.....did you shoot the gun while arguing with the missers??!! No, I was shooting at rats.... silly man
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by TheDude » 29 Feb 2016, 9:33 am

Sure what he has admitted to doing over 20 years ago is against the current weapons act but what were the laws back then?
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 29 Feb 2016, 9:50 am

Yep…..the act was 1990.

Cop this from todays news

Opposition police spokesman Jarrod Bleijie said Mr Byrne needed to come clean about what gun licence he held at the time.
“There are holes throughout the Minister’s story,” he said. “Annastacia Palaszczuk should immediately stand the Police Minister down until police assess the situation.”
Queensland Shooters Union president Graham Park said Mr Byrne may have “committed an offence under the Weapons Act”.
“This is why we are always trying to work with the government, so we can streamline legislation so police resources aren’t used on things like mouse shootings,” he said.
He recommended using baits rather than bullets.

Not mass….but MOUSE :lol: :lol:

Graham Park…….that is GOLD :drinks: And they printed it whats more!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 29 Feb 2016, 10:45 am

David Brown wrote:To be frank, or Bill if you prefer :-) I think shooting rats with ratshot is a fair thing, the real problem is our stupid laws.

The rats aren't the problem mate, it's the hypocrisy (as I'm sure you agree).

If one of us was caught/admitted to doing it we'd get strung up no questions asked.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by adam » 29 Feb 2016, 1:22 pm

David Brown wrote:Gen93

Nail on head!

To be frank, or Bill if you prefer :-) I think shooting rats with ratshot is a fair thing, the real problem is our stupid laws.

Agreed. Rat shot .22 poses very little risk, and I don't see an issue with it whatsoever. The only reason there is an issue with it is because we live in a nanny state where if a kid carries a toy gun that looks too realistic people fly off the handle. The idea of firing a real gun (even though it's just ratshot) has the hoplophobics running for the hills with their hands waving in the air.

I'd prefer to see this as an opportunity to try and bring in a bit of common sense back into the laws instead of backing the current stupid laws and saying that he should be strung up.

I agree there's probably some hypocrisy here, but that's politics. Why not use it to our advantage and get behind him and work together instead of trying to throw him to the wolves that so often want to attack us for petty issues too?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Feb 2016, 2:17 pm

I think it has little to do with whether it was ratshot.

Fact is these pollies, who suffer from generational parasitism [theres your word for the day, repeat it until you understand what it means]

.... generation after generation of these party members who follow the leader, solely due to their forebears carrying out the gun control agenda (among other agenda) - singing to the tune of those next to them, or more so those PAYING them off (who really want the gun control then disarmament)...do they do the same BECAUSE it will enable their snouts to remain firmly implanted in the great trough of the public purse....

These guys have placed all the restrictions upon the Australian people when it comes to firearms, theyve classified everything that goes bang, and even what doesnt go bang.... as a 'firearm' centrefire, rimfire, air-guns, even fake guns! no matter.

But now it doesnt suit them? because 'it was only rat shot'.... and 'it was in my own home'

OK.

Game on mofos.

Its 'was only rat shot' and its 'in MY home' too! what so you now?

Will they 'overlook' me if I do the same??? Hell no, because I'm not the police minister! neither am I 'one of them'.

So dont go the "its only rat shot" route - THEY decided to class everything, even non-guns as guns under the same law, then control them with some of the most intrusive, extreme, punitive gun laws ever, law aimed expressly at those will to sign up to the gun licensing regime and {try their best to} comply with the laws of the day.... Lib or Lab - they all sat in Cantberra back in 96 (AND long before 96!) and all nodded IN UNISON like a great pall of communistic control falling upon this once(??) great nation.

String him up and make a great example....

OR alternatively, given that I only support violence, in response to violence (biblically old school perhaps) agree that the laws are ridiculous, achieve nothing and repeal ALL firearm licensing laws across the nation and have a big rethink.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by David Brown » 29 Feb 2016, 3:13 pm

OR alternatively, given that I only support violence, in response to violence (biblically old school perhaps) agree that the laws are ridiculous, achieve nothing and repeal ALL firearm licensing laws across the nation and have a big rethink.

I agree absolutely.

Now is an excellent opportunity to overhaul a system of laws and regulations that are cumbersome at best. The whole mess needs unwinding and some common sense laws implemented.

Shooters Union has called on the government to to do exactly that, consult with the industry and get it right. Be interesting to see if the TV news media publish that sentiment on tonights news. The joker in front of the camera…..well I wouldn't listen to him :lol: :unknown:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 01 Mar 2016, 6:13 am

Now is an excellent opportunity to overhaul a system of laws and regulations that are cumbersome at best. The whole mess needs unwinding and some common sense laws implemented.

Unwinding current laws would be excellent but the common sense part is what I'm doubful of obtainng from the current crop of law makers, specially when the current crop of stasi police have the governments ear.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by trekin » 01 Mar 2016, 8:11 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:I think it has little to do with whether it was ratshot.

Fact is these pollies, who suffer from generational parasitism [theres your word for the day, repeat it until you understand what it means]

.... generation after generation of these party members who follow the leader, solely due to their forebears carrying out the gun control agenda (among other agenda) - singing to the tune of those next to them, or more so those PAYING them off (who really want the gun control then disarmament)...do they do the same BECAUSE it will enable their snouts to remain firmly implanted in the great trough of the public purse....

These guys have placed all the restrictions upon the Australian people when it comes to firearms, theyve classified everything that goes bang, and even what doesnt go bang.... as a 'firearm' centrefire, rimfire, air-guns, even fake guns! no matter.

But now it doesnt suit them? because 'it was only rat shot'.... and 'it was in my own home'

OK.

Game on mofos.

Its 'was only rat shot' and its 'in MY home' too! what so you now?

Will they 'overlook' me if I do the same??? Hell no, because I'm not the police minister! neither am I 'one of them'.

So dont go the "its only rat shot" route - THEY decided to class everything, even non-guns as guns under the same law, then control them with some of the most intrusive, extreme, punitive gun laws ever, law aimed expressly at those will to sign up to the gun licensing regime and {try their best to} comply with the laws of the day.... Lib or Lab - they all sat in Cantberra back in 96 (AND long before 96!) and all nodded IN UNISON like a great pall of communistic control falling upon this once(??) great nation.

You are correct, in that it does have "little to do with whether it was ratshot." It also has little to do with what a lot of other commentators, both public and Government are carrying on about. The straight up fact is that what the Minister did, was NOT a breach of the the QLD Weapons Act, AT the period in time that he did it. Hell, I may, or may not, have done exactly the same thing back then, but i ain't go'na admit it now, because the way some people, particularly the media and the Opposition here in QLD, are carrying on we will end up having the firearms laws retro'ed so that anyone who used a semi auto RF/CF rifle/shotty or pump shotty back in the day, for sport or hunting can now be charged for doing so.
If there is only one line in that whole story we, as LAFO, should be focusing on, it is this one;
“As owner of the property, Bill didn’t require anyone’s consent,” the Premier’s spokesman said.

If Bill, or me, or even you didn't require anyone’s else's consent prior to '97, then why the f#*k are we required to now!!!!
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 01 Mar 2016, 8:52 am

I'd prefer to see this as an opportunity to try and bring in a bit of common sense back into the laws instead of backing the current stupid laws and saying that he should be strung up.

I agree there's probably some hypocrisy here, but that's politics. Why not use it to our advantage and get behind him and work together instead of trying to throw him to the wolves that so often want to attack us for petty issues too?

And that is what we are trying to do. But so far the new police minister has not been all that engaging.

If we could get a re-write here, then it could be used in others states. Be rather ironic to have a NFA where each letter actually represented reality……stop dreaming, back to reality.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 05 Apr 2016, 1:02 pm

David Brown wrote:To be frank, or Bill if you prefer :-) I think shooting rats with ratshot is a fair thing, the real problem is our stupid laws.

That's problem one.

The other one is how they're applied in an unequitable fashion, that's what people are preemptively getting people pissed here.

If you or I did this, instant confiscation of guns, loss of license and charged with an offence. No two ways.

Honestly, will you be surprised if this just gets swept under the run and quietly fades away to be forgotten, no charges laid or dropped on some technicality? Of course you won't.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics