Semi auto vs bolt, lever, pump actions.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Semi auto vs bolt, lever, pump actions.

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Mar 2016, 8:26 am

Vichandgunner wrote:Police are not the issue. Policy makers are. Many police couldn't care less how many/what type of guns a licensed shooter owns. Many are shooters themselves.

If you are going to get shirty when GCA make up sweeping generalizations and stereotypes about gun owners, why are you making similar sweeping statements about all police?

:welcome: Officer 'Smith'....

We dont need 'all' police officers to be biased against guns, or more so 'guns owned by law abiding citizens', all we need is the top brass to form that opinion and take it to the minister who unfortunately, without fail it would seem, feels compelled to accept the advice as from the experts and it is generally converted into law.

In this land police EFFECTIVELY legislate on firearms.

The police policy is to reduce the numbers of firearms in the community.
YOU, as an organisation make no distinction between the legally or illegally held firearm. Now - you want the numbers reduced. Eventually - you want all guns removed from the community.

Yes, we've all heard the "I'm not against guns, just doing my job" argument....It doesnt wash anymore... indeed, it hasnt washed since the Nuremberg Trails when the "I was just following orders" defence wash quashed.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 9:30 am

Vichandgunner wrote:Police are not the issue. Policy makers are. Many police couldn't care less how many/what type of guns a licensed shooter owns. Many are shooters themselves.

If you are going to get shirty when GCA make up sweeping generalizations and stereotypes about gun owners, why are you making similar sweeping statements about all police?

..and some police are hitman (hi Roger and Paul), same are abolone poachers and others hunt illegally in national parks.. so what's your point?

Oh yeah, and some are commisioners who are pushing hard for gun tighter gun control. Take firearms admin out of the hands of police as they only have one mentality and that is restrict, prohibit and control.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Vichandgunner » 08 Mar 2016, 4:29 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

We dont need 'all' police officers to be biased against guns, or more so 'guns owned by law abiding citizens', all we need is the top brass to form that opinion and take it to the minister who unfortunately, without fail it would seem, feels compelled to accept the advice as from the experts and it is generally converted into law.

YOU, as an organisation make no distinction between the legally or illegally held firearm. Now - you want the numbers reduced. Eventually - you want all guns removed from the community.

Yes, we've all heard the "I'm not against guns, just doing my job" argument....It doesnt wash anymore... indeed, it hasnt washed since the Nuremberg Trails when the "I was just following orders" defence wash quashed.

I'm not here to get in an argument, just don't agree with the amount of anti-police sentiment I feel exists in the community, I feel it's counter productive to our aims.

I'm not a cop, know a few though, and wouldn't mind looking at joining up.

I certainly don't want all guns removed from the community, I love shooting. So do most of the cops I know. If police policy was aimed at removing guns from us, they wouldn't be approving record numbers of licenses and PTA's.

My point is simply that you jump on the generalizations that anti-gunners make, but you seem to keep on falling into the trap of making the same generalizations yourself. Direct your anger somewhere it will make a difference - local members. Ranking police command members have a lot of input, but pollies listen to their voting base above all else.

Also, comparing Aussie police with Nazi war criminals? Hope you don't really think that way.
Vichandgunner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 08 Mar 2016, 4:37 pm

I agree with much of what has been stated. I do not believe that public safety is at all the reasoning behind gun control. I do however believe public safety is a selling point for gun control. (And my golly it worked in 96 didn't it)

I think gun control is about population control an unarmed populace are not citizens they are slaves.

I personally don't want a semi for my current needs. I would definately want one to protect my home (wife and two young kids) from a home invader and my fellow Aussies for the government/invasion but that's exactly why I can't have one!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vichandgunner » 08 Mar 2016, 4:46 pm

I agree, they aren't doing it for public safety in the slightest.

Not 100% sold that it's population control though, seems more like a quick easy way to win votes.

Also a supporter of self defence and castle doctrine.
Vichandgunner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 6:16 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:I have all three types of actions listed plus single shots and Member-Deleted is correct. The only difference is mechanical/appearance, the type of action makes no difference in lethality. The war that caused the greatest number of American casualties, our Civil War 1861-1865, was for the most part fought with muzzle loading single shot rifles, over 200,000 direct combat and 750,000 total.

That's an interesting statistic that debunks the fear whipped up on modern technology. From the FBI's own data, the cartridge that tops the list for civilian deaths each year is the 22LR and the 38 special and 40 S&W tops the list for killing LEOs.

There's a stat that says in Australia, the rifle most often used in crime is the Stirling Model 20, and that was 20 years after the ban on semiautos. Ironically, most are sawn off and won't cycle due to lack of back pressure. Kmart must have sold a bucket load of them.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Mar 2016, 6:47 pm

Vichandgunner wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

I'm not here to get in an argument, just don't agree with the amount of anti-police sentiment I feel exists in the community, I feel it's counter productive to our aims.

I certainly don't want all guns removed from the community, I love shooting. So do most of the cops I know. If police policy was aimed at removing guns from us, they wouldn't be approving record numbers of licenses and PTA's.

My point is simply that you jump on the generalizations that anti-gunners make, but you seem to keep on falling into the trap of making the same generalizations yourself. Direct your anger somewhere it will make a difference - local members. Ranking police command members have a lot of input, but pollies listen to their voting base above all else.

Also, comparing Aussie police with Nazi war criminals? Hope you don't really think that way.

Correction, FUTURE officer Smith ;)

You're misunderstanding the reflection of official police position in relation to firearm - with ill feeling. The Various police 'forces' have their position on the record, including in the Senate inquiry report. They want less number of firearms IN THE COMMUNITY and they see those firearm as a "health and safety" .... even the legally possessed firearm that spend most of their time safely locked away when not in use.....I hope you understand that many shooters have no ill feeling toward the police officers, but see this bias as a huge conflict of interest and therefore they should not only not be knocking on doors of responsible law abiding members of the community at any 'reasonable' hour, but further to that that should have NOTHING to do with licensing. Period.

You're funny. You think the record numbers of PTAs are perhaps the result of the police 'encouraging' lawful firearm possession? Or perhaps their generosity at approving so many?? ITS THE RESULT OF INCREASING NUMBERS OF SHOOTERS! That concerns 'command'....as much as it does the tards...

Your best comment was "but pollies listen to their voting base above all else."....... of course they do. Something tells me you'll make a good cop one day....

Who mentioned Nazis? I referred to an outcome of the trials.

So what shooting do you do? or did you ust ump on to defend the 'brotherhood'....

Oh, and :welcome: :allegedly:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 08 Mar 2016, 7:32 pm

Vichandgunner wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

I think you are confusing the "police" as refered to as the organisation and not the individuals who obviously come from all walks of life and have their own ideas on all sorts of things. I'm sure we all know individuals who are members.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 08 Mar 2016, 7:48 pm

Everyone has a car and therefore are a normal everyday posession everyones used to, when something goes wrong ( old guy makes a drive through of a shop front ) the driver is blamed as they should be and they their license is reviewed etc etc

A firearm whatever sort,action,caliber it is really arn't isn't something the younger generation hasen't grown up with ( myself included ), all the people who have crept into the law making positions only see firearms as killing tools, i mean thats ultimately why police/security guards/ money in transit officers are issued with handguns right? As such they are so narrow minded and obsessively focused on controlling said firearms they can't see the bigger picture.

Kinda off topic, but yeah
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Vichandgunner » 08 Mar 2016, 8:05 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Correction, FUTURE officer Smith ;)

You're misunderstanding the reflection of official police position in relation to firearm - with ill feeling. The Various police 'forces' have their position on the record, including in the Senate inquiry report. They want less number of firearms IN THE COMMUNITY and they see those firearm as a "health and safety" .... even the legally possessed firearm that spend most of their time safely locked away when not in use.....I hope you understand that many shooters have no ill feeling toward the police officers, but see this bias as a huge conflict of interest and therefore they should not only not be knocking on doors of responsible law abiding members of the community at any 'reasonable' hour, but further to that that should have NOTHING to do with licensing. Period.

You're funny. You think the record numbers of PTAs are perhaps the result of the police 'encouraging' lawful firearm possession? Or perhaps their generosity at approving so many?? ITS THE RESULT OF INCREASING NUMBERS OF SHOOTERS! That concerns 'command'....as much as it does the tards...

Your best comment was "but pollies listen to their voting base above all else."....... of course they do. Something tells me you'll make a good cop one day....

Who mentioned Nazis? I referred to an outcome of the trials.

So what shooting do you do? or did you ust ump on to defend the 'brotherhood'....

Oh, and :welcome: :allegedly:

You know what, fair enough, I can see where you're coming from with the conflict of interest. Point to you.

No, I don't think it's a sign of them encouraging firearm possession, I never said anything like that. My point was just that they aren't providing a barrier to new shooters or gun owners beyond the scope of the already existing restrictive laws.

Dont see what that has to do with making a good cop. My point is there's lots of shooters. Show the pollies how much we can swing the vote and they may start to listen.

You mentioned the trials, I'm saying it's not really comparable, with Police, from my point of view, not committing gross crimes against humanity. I understand that you have differing views regarding safe inspections and that's cool. World would be boring if we all agreed.

As my name would tend to suggest... Shoot Cat H in Victoria, don't have an A/B license as it doesn't interest me as much.
Vichandgunner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 11 May 2016, 3:38 pm

happyhunter wrote:I think you are confusing the "police" as refered to as the organisation and not the individuals who obviously come from all walks of life and have their own ideas on all sorts of things. I'm sure we all know individuals who are members.

There are members here who've said they're cops. A few of them are with us :thumbsup:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 12 May 2016, 3:18 pm

Vichandgunner wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

No sacred cows.

People need to be held accountable. Will they hold you accountable as a licensed firearms owner? You bet your bottom.

When the government tries to oppress you, hold them accountable. Don't let them pass the buck, and sure as heck don't give them a pass. Every one of them is accountable. From top to bottom.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Firearms related media and politics