How serious are they about gun crime??!

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: How serious are they about gun crime??!

Post by Wes » 19 Sep 2016, 10:42 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:The ludicrous example of the female with a box full of prohibited unregistered guns next to her in the car.... thats why they reversed the burden of proof so NOW .... SHE would have to prove they WERE NOT hers..... as per my analogy above. Its a band aid show them we're getting tough move by the gov.

That was the recent one 6 months ago or something and she had 12 or 13 guns?

Didn't she basically say they were her boyfriends? She new full well they were there though.

And I think throughout, and definitely afterwards, posted a bunch of stuff on social media saying 'Ha ha, get f%#ked cop" and the like.

Nothing....

*Facepalm goes here*
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 19 Sep 2016, 10:48 am

I read an interesting article in the SSAA recently about how serious they are about gun crime. (or the lack thereof). Was quite a concerning article to read at the end of the day and pretty summed up much of what has been written in this thread (plus some other information).
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 11:40 am

Wes wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:The ludicrous example of the female with a box full of prohibited unregistered guns next to her in the car.... thats why they reversed the burden of proof so NOW .... SHE would have to prove they WERE NOT hers..... as per my analogy above. Its a band aid show them we're getting tough move by the gov.

That was the recent one 6 months ago or something and she had 12 or 13 guns?

Didn't she basically say they were her boyfriends? She new full well they were there though.

And I think throughout, and definitely afterwards, posted a bunch of stuff on social media saying 'Ha ha, get f%#ked cop" and the like.

Nothing....

*Facepalm goes here*

I've probably said this before but i just don't get how that worked. According to the firearms act, it is illegal to be in possession of an unregistered firearm or any firearm if you are not licenced. Possession is defined as having free access to the firearm. It doesn't matter if she "owned" the firearms, she was in POSSESSION of them and was BREAKING THE LAW!!!

I just don't get it... if i let a mate shoot my 22lr at some cans in the paddock and he doesn't have a licence i would get the book hurled at me if the police found out. On the other hand, illegal firearms, possession and failure to abide by transport and storage laws by an un-licenced person has no come back..... :huh: :crazy: :wtf: :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 19 Sep 2016, 12:05 pm

This incident gets my blood boiling every time I think about it.

And then there's that guy in SA that tried to sell a firearm (can't remember if it was semi or auto) to an undercover cop.

It's ok, though, it wasn't working properly, so nevermind the intent or his criminal history. Just fine him a few hundred dollars and let him be on his way...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by doc » 19 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

Gwion wrote:I've probably said this before but i just don't get how that worked.

I agree. I keep thinking of the possibilities myself and can only come up with one plausible option - and that's corruption in the court systems. Maybe this person potentially had connections or something similar. I hope I'm wrong (and I probably am) - but I can't come up with another scenario where the outcome makes any sense.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Firearms related media and politics