SSAA...actually doing something?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

SSAA...actually doing something?

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Mar 2016, 6:43 pm

I just watched this and thought.....wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82x8pJ73mpM

This needs to be on TV.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: SSAA...actually doing something?

Post by adam » 25 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

Heckler303 wrote:This needs to be on TV.

Might be nice, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone would put in a complaint to the ACMA if a station even thought about airing it as too offensive, and it'd be off quicker than a brides nighty...

It's fine to have shows that show murder, rape, etc on TV - but something that shows guns used in a good healthy safe light.... shame! At least that's what the Greenies and hoplophobics would be thinking...

Even so - that should be no reason not to try and get it aired. With any luck I'm wrong. Would be good to see more olympians and commonwealth athletes on there as well..
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 26 Mar 2016, 4:22 pm

So they are posting a firearm advocacy video on YouTube, preaching to people who would explicitly look for firearm videos on YouTube? Facepalm is strong here.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wes » 31 Mar 2016, 12:16 pm

I felt for a second I was going to get rick-rolled if I clicked the link :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seik » 26 Jul 2016, 1:52 pm

juststarting wrote:So they are posting a firearm advocacy video on YouTube, preaching to people who would explicitly look for firearm videos on YouTube? Facepalm is strong here.

Preaching to the choir aren't they.

Get it out to the PUBLIC, SSAA!
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jul 2016, 2:20 pm

Complete waste of effort telling firearms owners how great it is to own firearms...and we members pay them to do this?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 30 Jul 2016, 7:46 am

I think it's great even if they only play it in their lounges at their ranges. I see that many people shooting on form 15bs of a weekend that are required to watch the safety video, having an ad break like that might be all it takes to help someone decide to sign up for a safety course and get licenced. More licenced shooters is always going to benefit us in the long run. I doubt it would get on well on TV, it would get torn apart by the project and the like.

I reckon more radio advertising is the way to go, a gun store on the sunshine coast runs a radio ad for their business that also encourages people looking to become licenced to drop in.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2016, 10:22 am

Knockers. Looks very professional to me. Yes would be better on TV. There will be budget issues and some stations might refuse to air it. Perhaps it will be in the future. But its a start.

I think Eagle Park range was closed one day last week for Photos/video for a new web site. SSAA Must be trying to raise its profile.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Jul 2016, 10:35 am

Oldbloke.

Budget issues? The SSAA?? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh that's funny.

Let's run the numbers.. In 2016 they say there is 180,000 members..

Membership is $85 per person. But let's say it's on average $65 due to the family discounts. That works out to be 11.7million just in membership fees..

Each of the ranges they own and operate would also be financially viable..

Both nationally and state wise the SSAA can afford a tv campaign.

The stations will also take what ever revenue they can get both FTA and free to air.

They don't because they do not want to rock the political boat and more restrictions placed on shooters means more money for them...
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2016, 1:41 pm

You seem to have your finger on the pulse so to speak concerning all of the expenditure, income and current bank balance. Can you tell us what the current balance actually is? Might be interesting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Jul 2016, 1:45 pm

It's public record as they are an association..

Google it...

They have the finance to run an in depth national campaign..

They choose not too
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jul 2016, 7:35 pm

I see the SSAA are a little quite on the appearance laws that look like being enforced.

The only thing I've seen is "we will keep our members informed"

Weak as PI$$

They no longer get my $85 per year.

Silly old snoozers that are happy with their single shot target rifles.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 30 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm

all they do is take cash and play with themselves.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Angel » 30 Jul 2016, 8:47 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I see the SSAA are a little quite on the appearance laws that look like being enforced.

Weak as PI$$

So if you dont pay b the ssaa, do you still belong to a club? I thought b you had to be part of a shhoter association as you genuine reason. (Ex. Farmers / coloectors etc.)
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm

Angel wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I see the SSAA are a little quite on the appearance laws that look like being enforced.

Weak as PI$$

So if you dont pay b the ssaa, do you still belong to a club? I thought b you had to be part of a shhoter association as you genuine reason. (Ex. Farmers / coloectors etc.)

I'll be handing in my guns and focusing on cars when joining a club becomes mandatory. It's currently not the case in SA.
I'm just not into clubs of any kind.

If they think guns are dangerous, wait until they see what I can do with a car and my spanners.
How's a 1000hp Kingswood on the street sound MR Government Bureaucrat :lol:

I only shoot on private property.

The SFFP get my money now, they've got backbone.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm

Angel wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:So if you dont pay b the ssaa, do you still belong to a club? I thought b you had to be part of a shhoter association as you genuine reason. (Ex. Farmers / coloectors etc.)

Not in Victoria. All we need is an "Expression of Interest to Hunt on Crown Land" which costs $11.00 from the Game Management Authority, or whatever they're calling themselves this year.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2016, 11:09 pm

Seems to me many complain we do not have a strong gun lobby. But the same people will not suport the SSAA by being a member. If you do not want to be part of the solution then stop winging like a 5 yr old.

SSAA are far from perfect but they are having a crack. If you dont like it faaark off. And dont use their ranges.

Or join and be part of the it, have a say in the management.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2016, 11:44 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'll be handing in my guns and focusing on cars when joining a club becomes mandatory. It's currently not the case in SA.
I'm just not into clubs of any kind.

I'm similar. I find hunting to be a very introspective experience best enjoyed alone, and most other hunters I know are the same. The few occasions I have been roped into hunting with other people I prefer to forget, they were all yahoos that should never have had firearms in my opinion - zero respect for their prey. When I'm shooting for my own improvement I also prefer to be left to concentrate rather than have to conform to a "club" environment. I have zero interest in "beating" anybody else in an arbitrary competition. My only goal is to better my shooting so that the animal I'm shooting at experiences no pain or fear.

Unfortunately, the solitude of hunting makes it an easy target for those who oppose us. They invariably hang together in large mobs as it's the only way they can make themselves herd (not a typo), and they get off on bullying individuals into submission.

Because hunting in WA is essentially made impossible (basically you buy a ticket to hunt from one of the biggest landowners just so you can buy some nicer firearms regardless of whether you ever actually use them for hunting), when I moved there I went into motorcycle racing to quell that urge to constantly test myself against myself. I also shot IPSC pistol for many years and enjoyed that, primarily because you have to compete to be allowed to own handguns. But more enjoyable were the many days I spent alone at the pistol club running through my own courses of fire on my own terms, as were the days I spent alone at the racetrack cutting lap after lap. Now that I'm back in the free world I'm having to make room for shooting and motorcycle racing :-)

When I find a club that allows a shooter to simply come along whenever he wishes to spend several hours bettering himself without regard to competing against others they'll be welcome to my money.

And finally, to return to the topic, when SSAA starts supporting hunters and shooters I will return their support with my money. While they're content to support only themselves they can do so without my assistance.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2016, 12:09 am

Oldbloke wrote:Seems to me many complain we do not have a strong gun lobby. But the same people will not suport the SSAA by being a member. If you do not want to be part of the solution then stop winging like a 5 yr old.

SSAA are far from perfect but they are having a crack. If you dont like it faaark off. And dont use their ranges.

Or join and be part of the it, have a say in the management.

I was a member but nothing ever seemed to come of it so I gave it up, like many others I think.
Can you provide some examples of them "having a crack" at supporting shooters? Did they put anything out promoting our lifestyle in the eyes of the general public leading up to the election, 'cause I missed it if they did. The general public doesn't even know the SSAA exists in my experience.

I've never even found one of their ranges, though I have found a range near me that vehemently refuses any association with SSAA right there on their homepage (doesn't look to me like SSAA is offering any support to at least one group of shooters).
"Secondly, we are not in any way associated with the SSAA. It is irrelevant."
http://www.lilydalerifleclub.com.au/
If I were SSAA and sincerely supported shooters I would be making a serious effort to find why an actual shooting club is so against what we do, and fix it.

Any ranges they do have should be widely advertised to the non-shooting public to "come in and try" at the very least, in my opinion. I don't recall ever seeing any advertising for the shooting sports in any of the media that matters to non-shooters. Possibly People Magazine came close occasionally many years ago.

This is SSAA Victoria's social media "presence" for example, and you'll only find it via a deliberate search for it.
https://www.facebook.com/search/2796638 ... rface=tyah
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2016, 9:15 am

Understand where you guys are coming from. They seem to be media shy. But it wont get better unless you get involved.

http://ssaavic.com.au/index.php/2015-12 ... -the-board
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2016, 9:20 am

bentaz wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I also promote the sport by dragging anyone and everyone that I can out for a shoot and then bugging them till they get their licence.

Quite possibly the best possible way of increasing shooter numbers, but now made illegal, even on your own private property, in every state except WA. Now we can only bring a mate along to an approved range...when it's open. Now it's illegal to even let somebody handle our firearms except at an approved range. How do we bring new shooters in under these conditions? Sure, we can show our guns to friends and family _secretly_ on the understanding that both of us will be in trouble if word gets about...but why on earth should we have to behave like this. It's a bloody ludicrous situation.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2016, 11:53 am

Oldbloke wrote:Understand where you guys are coming from. They seem to be media shy. But it wont get better unless you get involved.

They don't seem media shy about promoting themselves to existing shooters, but the only result from that is likely to be more money in membership fees so they can redecorate their offices and take home a bigger wage every week.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 02 Aug 2016, 6:39 am

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Understand where you guys are coming from. They seem to be media shy. But it wont get better unless you get involved.

They don't seem media shy about promoting themselves to existing shooters, but the only result from that is likely to be more money in membership fees so they can redecorate their offices and take home a bigger wage every week.

The nice green jackets and the wives wine tours have to be paid for.....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Angel » 04 Aug 2016, 5:59 pm

I'm genuinly curious, why is there such anti ssaa rhetoric being displayed. My local range is ssaa qnd they are a good bunch of blokes that just want to enjoy the sport. Im only new to shooting but they have been good with me.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 04 Aug 2016, 6:04 pm

Angel wrote:I'm genuinly curious, why is there such anti ssaa rhetoric being displayed. My local range is ssaa qnd they are a good bunch of blokes that just want to enjoy the sport. Im only new to shooting but they have been good with me.

All members of the shooting fraternity, are generally 'good blokes / gals'.
Most of the negative comment you read, relates to ( perceived ? ) pathetic administration ....
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2016, 6:12 pm

Angel wrote:I'm genuinly curious, why is there such anti ssaa rhetoric being displayed. My local range is ssaa qnd they are a good bunch of blokes that just want to enjoy the sport. Im only new to shooting but they have been good with me.

The members are fine, just like all of us.
It's the organisation that is the problem.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Aug 2016, 9:12 pm

That's because some people join the SSAA thinking that they are joining an organisation that will fight against further restrictions and perhaps try to have some of the stupid restrictions undone.
They think the SSAA will lobby for whats right like a pro gun lobby group would.

Eventually people realize that the SSAA couldn't fight their way out of wet a paper bag.

They don't have the testicular fortitude to stand up and make noise against the government and police whenever further unnecessary restrictions are tabled.

People are just plain disappointed when they discover that the SSAA are little more than a club.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 04 Aug 2016, 9:27 pm

More than a club?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 04 Aug 2016, 11:12 pm

Went to a SSAA range to book training and got spoken to rudely and treated like crap. Went around the corner to QRA was spoken to friendly and ended up booking with them. Have never dealt with SSAA since.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 08 Aug 2016, 2:03 pm

Cryptic wrote:Have never dealt with SSAA since.

Vote with your feet :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics