POLL - should gun laws be tightened?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

POLL - should gun laws be tightened?

Post by pajamatime » 06 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm

The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: POLL - should gun laws be tightened?

Post by rsj223 » 06 Apr 2016, 3:04 pm

Done
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Apr 2016, 3:13 pm

Done a couple of times.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 06 Apr 2016, 3:16 pm

So there it is! Over 95% percent of Australians think our laws dont need tightening! Lol
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by adam » 06 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm

Noisydad wrote:So there it is! Over 95% percent of Australians think our laws dont need tightening! Lol

As much as I like the current result, I hate to say it, but I think that figure isn't a true representation of the public. (Although what polls are)...

There are a lot of the public that are ill informed by the media, and just unaware in general regarding guns - I certainly don't believe that 95% of the population are well informed... on any subject let alone firearms.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 06 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Done a couple of times.

:clap:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 06 Apr 2016, 4:56 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Done a couple of times.

well thats just unfair lol
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 06 Apr 2016, 5:45 pm

Done!
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2016, 6:40 pm

Done, winning. I think a voting appliance should be my next weekend project.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Apr 2016, 7:52 pm

Done and dusted.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Apr 2016, 8:54 pm

Would it be bad if I did this more than twice.....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2016, 9:18 pm

It doesn't let you, if you check total number of votes, I don't think they will change. Unless you do it from browser and phone, etc. But that's only limited to couple of devices... Orrrrrrr install Tor browser, force IP change and go for your life, but that would be unethical you see.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Apr 2016, 9:48 pm

It lets me... :)

Which is why I asked..
Yes A tor like setup
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 06 Apr 2016, 9:54 pm

adam wrote:
Noisydad wrote:So there it is! Over 95% percent of Australians think our laws dont need tightening! Lol

As much as I like the current result, I hate to say it, but I think that figure isn't a true representation of the public. (Although what polls are)...

There are a lot of the public that are ill informed by the media, and just unaware in general regarding guns - I certainly don't believe that 95% of the population are well informed... on any subject let alone firearms.

Because it's a voluntary poll it's not a truely random, representative sample. Cant remember what the average error is for such things is but given the extreme percentage (even allowing for the error) its still a statistically significant number.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2016, 11:03 am

this is the outcome.... if it was a "free the refugees" poll it would be taken up by the lefty media... with emotive calls to free (the criminals who seek to flout the immigration laws and absorb them into the suburbs...)...

Gun polls that in any way support gun rights.... although this one is really about keeping the current laws...go nowhere and are forgotten quickly.

<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Apr 2016, 11:23 am

Poll closed. They didn't leave it open all that long,
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by adam » 07 Apr 2016, 11:43 am

Do they normally leave it open longer? I thought most polls were normally closed within a short period of time?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 07 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

Interesting - they use the Sydney Shooting as an example of why we should tighten gun laws.

I may be mistaken here, but I think he may have been using a pistol that was procured illegally, rather than a registered hunting rifle with all the bells and whistles?
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

The % was edging higher and higher.....another day and it would have reach 98% I suspect...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 07 Apr 2016, 2:31 pm

How do you "tighten" gun laws? The phrase means nothing.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by adam » 07 Apr 2016, 2:40 pm

happyhunter wrote:How do you "tighten" gun laws? The phrase means nothing.

Well, going from previous examples it means targeting LFO's and making life harder for us.

Maybe introducing laws that mean we have to pick up every empty shell or case because it's part of ammunition and if empties are unsecured we commit a felony...

Maybe introducing laws telling us that we must notify LRD every time we take our firearms out, and everytime we bring them back...

Maybe limiting magazines to 1 round each...

Anything really that works towards the end goal of total confiscation of all legally owned firearms - whilst doing jack all about criminals...

But you're right - the phrase "tightening gun laws" has a very sinister and deliberate omission of certain important details.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Apr 2016, 5:10 pm

The tards continually bleat over how the gradual winding back of the NFA is placing the community in danger, driving the increase in gun crime and other blah blah...more laws more more .....

So I thought I'd have a bit of a look, and see how the 'effective' gun laws of 96 are being loosened, whittled away or 'frayed' at the edges in Victoria.....

1996, 1996 Firearms Act -- 164 pages = 1st version of NFAish gun law
2000, 1996 Firearms Act -- 193 pages
2004, 1996 Firearms Act -- 272 pages
2008, 1996 Firearms Act -- 319 pages
2012, 1996 Firearms Act -- 322 pages
2016, 1996 Firearms Act -- 329 pages

Gee, I hope we come to our sense soon and stop winding back the laws.......
Seriously, at this rate the Act will be in volumes like Corporate and Tax law.... FFS, would it be that crazy to maybe simplify the laws?? Would we descent into pure anarchy if we trimmed a bit here and there??

Lets look at history;

Firearm Act of 1958 (in force until 1996), 29 pages!!
Firearm Act of 1951, 33 pages
Firearm Act of 1928, 20 pages
Firearm Act of 1921, 25 pages
Pea rifle and saloon gun Act of 1912, 4 pages

And what I believe was the first gun law in Vic;
The Swivel Gun Act 1887 (Controlling punt guns) in full took up just 1 page!

From what I can tell, shotguns (greater than 30in o/a, greater the 16in barrel) were defined as NOT firearms until licensing in 1972.... when 3 categories of guns were introduced,
Cat A - Shotgun
Cat B - Pea rifle (max 0.229inch cal., 22s/l/lr, 3gr charge max, 56gr proj. max or shot)
Cat C - other

Of course handguns have been regulated/licensed/registered since 1921 ! ... I just wish someone would send a memo to the criminal world....But think about it, regulated for almost a century, and if you believe the hype, mostly from the popo, the streets are flooded with handguns (going for as little as a grand$ apparently)

How did we do it??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Tomotron » 03 Apr 2022, 9:36 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:The tards continually bleat over how the gradual winding back of the NFA is placing the community in danger, driving the increase in gun crime and other blah blah...more laws more more .....

So I thought I'd have a bit of a look, and see how the 'effective' gun laws of 96 are being loosened, whittled away or 'frayed' at the edges in Victoria.....

1996, 1996 Firearms Act -- 164 pages = 1st version of NFAish gun law
2000, 1996 Firearms Act -- 193 pages
2004, 1996 Firearms Act -- 272 pages
2008, 1996 Firearms Act -- 319 pages
2012, 1996 Firearms Act -- 322 pages
2016, 1996 Firearms Act -- 329 pages

Gee, I hope we come to our sense soon and stop winding back the laws.......
Seriously, at this rate the Act will be in volumes like Corporate and Tax law.... FFS, would it be that crazy to maybe simplify the laws?? Would we descent into pure anarchy if we trimmed a bit here and there??

Lets look at history;

Firearm Act of 1958 (in force until 1996), 29 pages!!
Firearm Act of 1951, 33 pages
Firearm Act of 1928, 20 pages
Firearm Act of 1921, 25 pages
Pea rifle and saloon gun Act of 1912, 4 pages

And what I believe was the first gun law in Vic;
The Swivel Gun Act 1887 (Controlling punt guns) in full took up just 1 page!

From what I can tell, shotguns (greater than 30in o/a, greater the 16in barrel) were defined as NOT firearms until licensing in 1972.... when 3 categories of guns were introduced,
Cat A - Shotgun
Cat B - Pea rifle (max 0.229inch cal., 22s/l/lr, 3gr charge max, 56gr proj. max or shot)
Cat C - other

Of course handguns have been regulated/licensed/registered since 1921 ! ... I just wish someone would send a memo to the criminal world....But think about it, regulated for almost a century, and if you believe the hype, mostly from the popo, the streets are flooded with handguns (going for as little as a grand$ apparently)

How did we do it??

The Firearms Act 1996 (Vic) is now 367 pages as of the 01/07/2020. :crazy:
https://content.legislation.vic.gov.au/ ... orised.pdf
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Madang185 » 05 Apr 2022, 1:25 pm

In this writers opinion it is right and proper that there are sane and sensible laws that control and licence firearm owners and firearms. There are however major problems within Australia appertaining to such laws.

Firstly neither the Politicians nor the media will acknowledge that only honest citizens obey such laws.

Secondly, it is evident that Politicians are ill informed. They listen to those who agree with their dubious laws that attack the law abiding licenced firearm owners but not the criminal element in our society who are literally getting away with murder

Thirdly, any Politician who wants attention, and they all do, merely has to utter the words, Gun Control, and the media will be on his doorstep post haste.

Finally, whenever there is a problem in society involving firearms of any sort, the licensed owners are immediately attacked by Police Command and the media, we are simply convenient scapegoats. As an example. A Police Officer in Victoria of recent date claimed that many firearms are simply stolen because of the flimsy containers in which they are kept. I may be mistaken but I understood that within Victoria it was incumbent on the local Firearms Officer to inspect all such containers within his Jurisdiction? Mine certainly were and so were those of my mates. Perhaps a case of not enough Police Officers to do the job?
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2022, 2:06 pm

Madang185 wrote:In this writers opinion it is right and proper that there are sane and sensible laws that control and licence firearm owners and firearms. There are however major problems within Australia appertaining to such laws.

Firstly neither the Politicians nor the media will acknowledge that only honest citizens obey such laws.

Secondly, it is evident that Politicians are ill informed. They listen to those who agree with their dubious laws that attack the law abiding licenced firearm owners but not the criminal element in our society who are literally getting away with murder

Thirdly, any Politician who wants attention, and they all do, merely has to utter the words, Gun Control, and the media will be on his doorstep post haste.

Finally, whenever there is a problem in society involving firearms of any sort, the licensed owners are immediately attacked by Police Command and the media, we are simply convenient scapegoats. As an example. A Police Officer in Victoria of recent date claimed that many firearms are simply stolen because of the flimsy containers in which they are kept. I may be mistaken but I understood that within Victoria it was incumbent on the local Firearms Officer to inspect all such containers within his Jurisdiction? Mine certainly were and so were those of my mates. Perhaps a case of not enough Police Officers to do the job?

The onus is on us to have security that complies with the requirements, regardless of whether Police have time to inspect them. As law-abiding owners there is no reason the Police should have to bother inspecting our security, we know the legal requirement, we obey it.

Our firearms get stolen because Police have no interest in preventing crime and our justice system has no interest in dealing with those that do get caught. It is far far easier and more economically advantageous to ignore crime and simply fine people for silly misdemeanours on the road. If Police enforced the laws we already have, and Justice dealt with those miscreants to the extent of our laws, we wouldn't so often become victims of crime.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 06 Jul 2022, 7:54 pm

Madang185 wrote:In this writers opinion it is right and proper that there are sane and sensible laws that control and licence firearm owners and firearms. There are however major problems within Australia appertaining to such laws.

You do realise your agreement with the first pararaph( licencing and control) are the reason all the other problems you mention occur.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Firearms related media and politics