NFA no longer looking at lever actions?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

NFA no longer looking at lever actions?

Post by PaladinAus » 06 Apr 2016, 8:36 pm

Saw this pop up in my news feed.

http://www.firearmscouncil.org.au/index ... #more-1207

Does anyone have any further info on this?
PaladinAus
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: NFA no longer looking at lever actions?

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2016, 9:21 pm

Now I would like a semi-auto.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2016, 9:22 pm

And a suppressor would be nice too
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

You can get both of those still. The pain in the arse is included with them.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2016, 9:36 pm

No I can't. Don't have a farm and live on Vic and work in the city, I am the opposite of "get it" will potentially, but practically - no
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Stubbles McBeard » 06 Apr 2016, 10:23 pm

Semi auto rimfires should be cat A, hell I'd be happy if they were cat b, sound moderators should be mandatory in some cases, and highly recommended for all other shooting.
Stubbles McBeard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2016, 10:24 pm

Yep
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 07 Apr 2016, 8:06 am

it would be nice to see you guys get your pump shot guns back
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Apr 2016, 8:53 am

wrenchman wrote:it would be nice to see you guys get your pump shot guns back

We had so much crap over lever action shotguns, pump actions would probably have even worse media backlash. Unless we silently bring them in and have no publicity over them.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2016, 9:48 am

Ideally there should be a licensing system, than allows firearm possession and use.....

Thats it. No cat a b c d e h z x y.....

If you're deemed fit and proper is the deciding factor.

Up until relatively recently air gun, 22s and shotties were NOT DEFINED AS FIREARMS for the purposes of the gun law....and totally UNREGULATED. YET our crime rates and homicides rates have fluctuation year by year decade by decade ..... due to factors other than firearm access....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 07 Apr 2016, 10:06 am

Sounds moderators first, semi autos next. If we are clever and patient we mayy be able to do it. I have faith :D
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 07 Apr 2016, 11:02 am

Ideally there should be a licensing system, than allows firearm possession and use.....

Thats it. No cat a b c d e h z x y.....

If you're deemed fit and proper is the deciding factor.
Thats it in a nut shell
I do no agree to any classisification of a firearm if your a fit and proper person to own any firearm that should be it.

This is the stupidity of Australian gun laws I cant own semi auto 22 rifle its dangerous but i have a 22 semi auto HANDGUN
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by adam » 07 Apr 2016, 11:14 am

Whooa there just a little. I saw a movie once. This guy... well he only needed one hand to both pump and shoot - and he was shooting at people (oh, well at least machines that look like people which is close enough). We couldn't allow that in our society. Many kittens could be harmed!!!! :sarcasm:

Sarcasm aside - If the information on that link is true however, it is indeed a definite pleasant win - one I doubt would have happened if JH was still PM. Good to hear some good news. Thanks for posting.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 07 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm

think like a anti ask for the moon make lots of noise that they aint fare and take what they give and go back for more.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm

Reality check time;

The NFA is a federal 'suggestion'.... the buzz words are 'consistent national gun laws'...this is convenient, but not necessary..
If the Minister of Justice announces no change to the NFA it mean that there was no consensus found at the most recent love-in....aka COAG.... but COAG would only be 'advised' to adopt a new or modified NFA if the 'Law, Crime and Community Safety Council' also convened by the AG dept decided to do as such....

Since the last go, remember when the justice minister decided all the states agreed, when they hadnt? they have not as yet convened the next Police ministers and hangers on meeting.... AKA LCCSC.

The COAG of 1 April did not discuss the NFA because it was not an agenda item because the LCCSC has not AS YET reported on the matter. The next LCCSC meeting is ??? can't say, dont know, its top secret, security reason, as advised by the AG's office.

What I do know is that the next meeting is in Queenstown NZ, yes it involves the kiwis, just as the original NFA was an AustralASIAN police ministers meeting 'construct'.... [that had been prepared 5 or so years in anticipation of its adoption....]

I 'suspect' this meeting will be toward the end of this month of April. If anyone can find a shred of info on it please advise...

So, the LCCSC may well resolve to 'adjust' the NFA, then forward to the next COAG their advice...next COAG is however after the expiration of the 5+lever shotgunsemiautolevergunweapon ban......

The Feds will NEVER allow the ban to lapse (on top of which they'd like to see levers further regulated, as we know)

So my crystal balling is as follows;

LCCSC meet and agrees on new NFA (x?x April, 2016 )
Special COAG meeting is convened (May 2016)
Either all states agree (you know, for the children.... someone think of the children)
Or some state only agree
Regardless either some states or all states enact the new NFA provisions...

The states remain FREE to change their STATE laws as they desire. At any time.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 07 Apr 2016, 4:06 pm

adam wrote:

Whooa there just a little. I saw a movie once. This guy... well he only needed one hand to both pump and shoot - and he was shooting at people (oh, well at least machines that look like people which is close enough). We couldn't allow that in our society. Many kittens could be harmed!!!! :sarcasm:

Sarcasm aside - If the information on that link is true however, it is indeed a definite pleasant win - one I doubt would have happened if JH was still PM. Good to hear some good news. Thanks for posting.

No that was one of those lever action shotguns capable of firing 7 rounds in 1 min

Chronos

Winchester 1887

Upon arriving in the present (believed to be 1995 in the film), the Terminator T-800 Model 101 (Arnold Schwarzenegger) enters a biker bar and takes the clothes and firearm off a biker. As he prepares to leave on the biker's Harley Fatboy, the T-800 is confronted by the bar owner (Peter Schrum), who fires a warning shot from his sawed-off Winchester 1887. The Terminator coolly walks over and snatches the gun from his hand. The Terminator keeps the gun as his main weapon for a good portion of the film until he comes upon Sarah Connor's (Linda Hamilton) armory, where superior weapons are at his disposal.
Three versions of the gun were used during filming. The first was the iconic "Rosebox Shotgun" with a sawed off barrel and stock and the trigger guard cut out. This is the gun seen through most of the film. The second version had a large lever loop so the gun could be flip cocked one-handed while riding a motorcycle (similar to the actions seen in True Grit and The Rifleman) - James Cameron says in the commentary how Arnold accidentally picked up the wrong shotgun and tried to flip cock it and nearly broke three fingers. The third gun was the rubber prop gun for stunt work. Despite having a five round tube magazine plus one in the chamber, the gun is often shown firing seven or eight rounds before reloading. It is possible to "hot-load" the gun to hold seven rounds by placing a round directly on the carrier after loading five into the magazine and then another round on top, so that closing the action will chamber said round. Doing so is fairly risky, as closing the action too quickly can discharge the gun.
Since Winchester had stopped producing the Winchester 1887 shotgun before the film, the armorers had to find pristine condition guns which were no longer in production! The guns in the film are indeed genuine Winchester shotguns and not a foreign copy such as the Norinco YL1887L (which wasn't released until 2002) or any of the Aldo Uberti copies (they weren't producing an 1887 shotgun at the time). The report of the shotgun is said to be two cannons firing at once.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Terminator_2: ... ester_1887
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 07 Apr 2016, 5:20 pm

But wait. They have formed a working group, which now means continual assessment and recommendations.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by adam » 07 Apr 2016, 7:07 pm

Chronos wrote:No that was one of those lever action shotguns capable of firing 7 rounds in 1 min

Thanks for the correction. :lol: Been a while since I've seen that movie - lever action... no wonder they consider them bad.

Also cheers for the trivia - an interesting find!
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics