Ch 7 Sunrise program 24/4/2016

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Ch 7 Sunrise program 24/4/2016

Post by Title_II » 24 Apr 2016, 2:48 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:complaints? they'll thank you for your enquiry and advise that no rules have been broken....

Because there is no requirement to be truthful in the 'stories' on an ENTERTAINMENT program, in addition the show provided 'both' sides...

There is no reason to let them party in an echo chamber.

Are they leaving gun owners alone because they won't change your minds? Obviously not. They are harassing you. Are you harassing them? If you ignore them, it simply makes them believe that everybody agrees with them and they can say whatever they want about you without any repercussions.

You must ALWAYS stand up for yourselves.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Apr 2016, 4:34 pm

The fact is that the limited online media that allow comments is over whelmingly supportive of the law abiding firearm owner.... and critical to highly critical of the opinions espoused by the GCA / GREENS 'types'...

However....this is totally disregarded by the conventional media AND THEY PERSIST IS PRESENTING GCA as well as AMF / MIKAC as representing the righteousness.... and the majority . ...

They
Dont.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Apr 2016, 7:08 am

Die Judicii wrote:
I actually got up and watched it in the hope that it might have been reasonably well conducted.

The channel people that hold these discussions should have knowledge in the subject that they have at hand.
[u]If they do not have fluent knowledge on the subject, they should sit in the middle and keep their mouths shut.[/u]

JD, you've obviously never watched one of these breakfast program discussions before!!! :silent: :crazy: :unknown:

The stream of conciousness (stretching that term to breaking point here) of shear ignorance and stupidity that spews from these programs is a sad indictment of Australia's lowest common denominator; which is what/who these programs are designed to appeal to! :problem: :huh:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 25 Apr 2016, 7:52 am

scotty87 wrote:A comment like that, deliberate or not, puts images in the viewers mind of those evil scary black things used by madman to murder innocent people in the USA, which really shapes the rest of the article to being based on emotions and not facts.

Those are called handguns, not shotguns. We have more people beaten to death than killed with all longarms combined in the US. If you are referring to "assault weapons," they kill less than 100 people in the US each year, in a country of 330 to 350 million people. If you are talking about mass shootings, most in the US are done with handguns, and the worst we have had have been with handguns (since the 1920s, anyway), including Virginia Tech.

The US is not a good example for banning shotguns.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Apr 2016, 10:31 am

Title_II wrote:
scotty87 wrote:A comment like that, deliberate or not, puts images in the viewers mind of those evil scary black things used by madman to murder innocent people in the USA, which really shapes the rest of the article to being based on emotions and not facts.

Those are called handguns, not shotguns. We have more people beaten to death than killed with all longarms combined in the US. If you are referring to "assault weapons," they kill less than 100 people in the US each year, in a country of 330 to 350 million people. If you are talking about mass shootings, most in the US are done with handguns, and the worst we have had have been with handguns (since the 1920s, anyway), including Virginia Tech.

The US is not a good example for banning shotguns.

Not even 100..... I could not find any evidence to suggest its even 30!

As far as in Australia, mass shooting or even 'shootings' I can not recall ever involving semi-auto mil 'type' of firearms other than PA. Some well known shootings involved older mulsurp types...Post office shooting in Melbourne I believe involved an M1carb... that was supposedly shortened, thereby rendering it a manually cycled firearm...not that the readership of the papers need to know such an irrelevant detail... :thumbsdown:

Hoddle Street (conveniently) involved a 22 semi, a pump 12g, and either a Garand or an M14, not sure....

Oh.... and there was the recent kerfuffle when the original WW1 45 automatic machine Tommy gun was found.... gee they really thwarted another mass casualty event there.....
Yet there was no evidence it was at most a modern semi auto, at least a good functional replica...went quiet didnt it.

Australia is neither a good example concerning shotguns.... at least in VIC with about what 30 to 40% of the population, they were not even REGULATED until the 1970's, and from then to 1990, the homicide, firearm and non fa, increased not insignificantly...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 25 Apr 2016, 8:32 pm

Those are called handguns, not shotguns. We have more people beaten to death than killed with all longarms

I feel sorry for the handgun blokes because they are copping the blame for the illegal market when the facts are most the black market handgus are imported illegally, stolen from police/security/military organisations and the more recent market is home made.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bluerob » 26 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

juststarting wrote:I wonder, is SSAA doing anything about it? Is there anyone here who's involved with them in that capacity, to answer this?

Hate to read like I'm some sort of sage advice provider (or similar), but, have you say, in the last 10 years, ever seen the SSAA in any media (apart from their own)?

Nope.

I don't need their insurance, stubby holders or pink handgun cases. I'd like to see them regularly in mainstream media explaining the benefits (and absolute fun) at whatever shooting sport. Start with clay shooting?

I'll renew my membership once I see them in the media actually pushing our sport. I had been a member for nearly 32 years, but, can't see the point anymore.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 26 Apr 2016, 11:02 am

bluerob wrote:I don't need their insurance, stubby holders or pink handgun cases.

That's all I see them as too.

They're a business which publishes a magazine and sells random bits. Not an industry group representing us shooters.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by adam » 26 Apr 2016, 11:21 am

I think it's great the attention that you guys are paying to what the media is doing in this area, as well as posting through the complaints. I do though have my concerns about how the industry is regulated. (Just looking at the trouble or former prime minister had with the ABC not sticking to it's own legally binding charter) and whether effort could be invested in a more beneficial way.

I'm not trying to discourage the complaint process, but I am concerned as to how effective it may be, and whether there are any other options available? With the lack of action from the SSAA it seems we either need a change of leadership within there...?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics