Ch 7 Sunrise program 24/4/2016

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Ch 7 Sunrise program 24/4/2016

Post by brett1868 » 24 Apr 2016, 12:14 am

I've been seeing ads on ch7 tonight for a story airing in on Sunday 24/4 about how we're being flooded by a rapid fire gun designed to circumvent legislation. I'll be recording the show and then lodging a formal complaint as per the procedure below.

I'll be lodging a complaint based purely on the Ad...then another after I watch the program and getting a firm understanding on how many of the rules they have breached.

I suspect they will breach section 3.3 of the code.
http://www.freetv.com.au/media/Code_of_Practice/Free_TV_Commercial_Television_Industry_Code_of_Practice_2015.pdf

Formal Complaints
Telephone comments and email comments will be passed on to appropriate network staff, but are not dealt with under the Seven Network's formal complaints handling procedures.
If you wish to lodge a formal complaint in relation to something you have seen or heard on the Seven Network you must send a letter or fax to Seven, or electronic form via the Free TV website ( http://www.freetv.com.au/ - as of March 1, 2010) within 30 days of the relevant broadcast.

If your complaint relates to a matter covered by the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice, the network is required to investigate your complaint and provide you with a substantive written response within 30 working days.

A copy of the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice can be obtained from Free TV Australia at http://www.freetv.com.au/

Formal complaints can be sent by mail to:

The Complaints Officer
PO BOX 777
PYRMONT NSW 2009
or by fax to:
(02) 8777 7180
or via electronic form found on the Free TV website (from March 1, 2010):
http://www.freetv.com.au

Your complaint should include the following information:
• The date, time and location of the broadcast;
• The name of the program;
• Reason for your concern;
• Your name and address
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Ch 7 Sunrise program 24/4/2016

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Apr 2016, 1:46 am

Well done Brett,

I personally don't watch much tv any more and my blissful ignorance to the world around me as the media would portray it is quite comforting.

We definitely need people such as yourself with the time and will to subject themselves to the frustration of sitting in front of the TV just to be labeled criminals waiting to happen by someone who can't distinguish or refuse to accept the difference between criminals with illegally owned firearms and LAFO'S

Keep those bastards honest!
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 24 Apr 2016, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 24 Apr 2016, 1:59 am

It truly is amazing how neurotic some people have become over there.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Apr 2016, 2:44 am

I've pulled the following text from Facebook
It was posted and probably written by a fb page called Firearm Owners United.

It's a great insight into how the media are being so affective in their campaign to bully and harass lafo's and turn the undecided sheep again lafo's.

It all reminds me of a song , Garth Brooks , Friends In Low Places

Heres the text ...
Here's some super sluthing, from other members of the shooting community. It's pretty interesting, and if you cant put 2 and 2 together, this may help you out a little. Special thanks to WiSH (http://www.ic-wish.org/)

As WiSH pointed out in another thread, the innocent and innocuous sounding 'Alannah and Madeline Foundation' has members that hold prominent positions in commercial news, TV and radio services, in addition to many other influential parties. Here they are again to refresh your memory:

Quote from: WiSH on April 20, 2016, 10:18:22 PM
In fact...looking at the complete list of Directors etc...this explains a lot (especially about why the Herald Sun have been running with as many anti-Adler fear stories as they can muster):

John Bertrand AM, Chairman, The Alannah and Madeline Foundation
Dr Judith Slocombe, Chief Executive Officer, The Alannah and Madeline Foundation
Peter Blunden, Victorian Managing Director - Editorial, News Limited
Richard Broug, General Manager, Global Retail Business, Paspaley Group
Terry Hearity OAM, Former National Sponsorship Manager, Australia Post
Launa Inman, Non-Executive Director, Commonwealth Bank Australia
Holly Kramer, Non-Executive Director, Nine Entertainment Co.
Greg Sutherland, Chief Marketing Officer, Australia Post
Paul Waldren, Managing Director, The Health Consultancy

International Advisory Board

Dr Edward de Bono, Founder, World Centre for New Thinking

Advisory Board and Partners

John Atkins, WA Chairman, ANZ
Tony Beddison AO, Chairman, The Beddison Group
Frank Gullone, Managing Director, Gullone Group
Russel Howcroft, Executive General Manager, Network Ten
Martin Jolly, Senior Vice President and Managing Director, IMG Australia and New Zealand
Robert Masters, Principal, Rob Masters & Associates
Eddie McGuire AM, President Collingwood Football Club
Neil Mitchell AO, Media Presenter, 3AW Southern Cross Broadcasting
The Hon. Alastair Nicholson AO RFD QC, Former Chief Justice of the Family Court of Australia
Ross Oakley, Chairman, Oakley Enterprises
Stuart Painter, Partner, Ernst & YoungRob Speedie PwC Partner
Tony Phillips, Former Chief Marketing Officer, Woolworths
John Steven, Partner, Minter Ellison
Rob Speedie, Partner, PwC
John Murphy, Non-Executive Chairman, PFD Food Services

Given the membership and their objectives, is it any wonder the media do their bidding, twist facts and reports the way it does. We certainly have many examples of such biased reporting and harassment - the reporting of the Ricky Muir video being a current case in point.

It's clear the reporting of anything to do with the Adler, NFA and virtually all firearm related issues show extreme bias, are generally illogical, unfair and seek to influence public opinion using fear and emotion rather than facts and reality.

Australian Hunting Podcast Ozzie Reviews Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party Gabriel Buckley - Liberal Democrats QLD David Leyonhjelm - Liberal Democrats Senator NSW Senator Ricky Muir
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 24 Apr 2016, 2:49 am

I keep telling you, send these idiots here. For journalistic research. If they are afraid of guns, I'll terrify them for fun. First, simply by being armed. Second, I'll take them on an educational trip to my buddy's range.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 24 Apr 2016, 7:46 am

Cheers Brett, I would get and watch it but I'm in bed and it's warm and it's Sunday, so yea. I will however watch once you post it and post a complaint if it breaches.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 24 Apr 2016, 7:54 am

It looks like their paranoia caused by the supposedly dangerous rapid fire Adler lever action shotgun has got the better of them again, I am seriously fed up this biased bulls**t and then they start the news bulletin with the carnage and deaths on our roads only halfway through the long weekend but want to "strengthen" gun laws, am I missing something :? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 24 Apr 2016, 9:41 am

bentaz wrote:I have long given up on commercial tv but if you can share the footage mate, I'll do the same and lodge a complaint too.

lol just imagine if they try to copy right takedown the footage just after stealing it already from Ozzie Reviews that would be amusing.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Apr 2016, 9:44 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Cheers Brett, I would get and watch it but I'm in bed and it's warm and it's Sunday, so yea. I will however watch once you post it and post a complaint if it breaches.

APATHY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 24 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

Nioa has got lots of money from us over the years. Why doesn't it get off its arse and start getting injunctions against a few people. Codes of practice are not enforcable by law. They are funded by the media to sidestep the issue.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

Cheers Brett, Pulling a top job as usual.

I actually got up and watched it in the hope that it might have been reasonably well conducted.

The channel people that hold these discussions should have knowledge in the subject that they have at hand.
If they do not have fluent knowledge on the subject, they should sit in the middle and keep their mouths shut.

Near the beginning of the segment, the ignoramus male channel person referred to the Adler as a Rapid Fire Rifle.

As for the rest of the segment, the channel people who SHOULD have been running it,,, more often than not allowed it to develop into an unchecked rabble of the guests trying to out talk each other.

Very poor on the compares behalf, and unprofessional to say the least.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Apr 2016, 10:57 am

I have just completed and lodged my formal complaint in detail.
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Apr 2016, 11:22 am

Brett, perhaps make ABCs Media Watch aware of it too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Apr 2016, 11:30 am

I had an early start in the office today so I'll watch when I get home tonight. I'll make a point list of what they breached to put in the letter of complaint. The thing about the code is that they must formally reply to each and every complaint which taxes resources.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 24 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm

I wonder, is SSAA doing anything about it? Is there anyone here who's involved with them in that capacity, to answer this?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 24 Apr 2016, 1:48 pm

Yep SSAA are doing magazines,insurance,membership drives and s**ty stuff they sell with their name on it... Should just about cover it? Personally I don't think they do anything.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 24 Apr 2016, 2:13 pm

I just submitted a complaint, I'm not the most eloquent gent, but I focused on the issue of the Adler A110 being purported as a "rapid fire rifle" at the start of the peice, and Samantha Lees comments regarding criminal history checks.

A comment like that, deliberate or not, puts images in the viewers mind of those evil scary black things used by madman to murder innocent people in the USA, which really shapes the rest of the article to being based on emotions and not facts.

As for Samantha Lees comments, one simply has to provide links to relevant state and territories POLICE firearms licencing websites, yes funny that, our POLICE are the ones who issue licences, how convenient that they also have access to every ones full criminal history should they wish to view it for the purposes of say, a firearms licence application! :sarcasm:
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Apr 2016, 2:29 pm

complaints? they'll thank you for your enquiry and advise that no rules have been broken....

Because there is no requirement to be truthful in the 'stories' on an ENTERTAINMENT program, in addition the show provided 'both' sides...

Yes SL is so full of CRAP its no longer funny, each of her points were false or out right lies....but at least she's now saying cartridges rather than bullets....

All that Borsak or Liontamer had to respond to SL and GCA was with the following questions:

Who do you represent?
-To which she would look bewildered, more so than normal, then proclaim to speak for ALL Australians... or some similar fantasy..

How many people are in your organisation?
-Recalling her side kick's famous senate hearing refusal to answer for fear of laughs of derision when the truth should come out....

What messed up logic gives you the right to claim to speak for anyone other than your membership of 3 individuals and a fax machine?
-When GCA are ALWAYS referred to as the eperts on matters they clearly know very very little about.... they under these always biased circumstances are given more respect, more airtime and a reverance, when the groups that actually represent real people are overlooked and offered a fraction of the respect they deserve.... ust look at how these sneering presenters treat the 2 ACTUAL Parliamentary REPRESENTATIVE of thousands of REAL people....GCA shouldnt even be on the same stage as them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klS-OJfwwkk

download if you're interested before the tards claim some copyright infringement and conveniently 'disappear' the clip...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 24 Apr 2016, 2:48 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:complaints? they'll thank you for your enquiry and advise that no rules have been broken....

Because there is no requirement to be truthful in the 'stories' on an ENTERTAINMENT program, in addition the show provided 'both' sides...

There is no reason to let them party in an echo chamber.

Are they leaving gun owners alone because they won't change your minds? Obviously not. They are harassing you. Are you harassing them? If you ignore them, it simply makes them believe that everybody agrees with them and they can say whatever they want about you without any repercussions.

You must ALWAYS stand up for yourselves.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Apr 2016, 4:34 pm

The fact is that the limited online media that allow comments is over whelmingly supportive of the law abiding firearm owner.... and critical to highly critical of the opinions espoused by the GCA / GREENS 'types'...

However....this is totally disregarded by the conventional media AND THEY PERSIST IS PRESENTING GCA as well as AMF / MIKAC as representing the righteousness.... and the majority . ...

They
Dont.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Apr 2016, 7:08 am

Die Judicii wrote:
I actually got up and watched it in the hope that it might have been reasonably well conducted.

The channel people that hold these discussions should have knowledge in the subject that they have at hand.
[u]If they do not have fluent knowledge on the subject, they should sit in the middle and keep their mouths shut.[/u]

JD, you've obviously never watched one of these breakfast program discussions before!!! :silent: :crazy: :unknown:

The stream of conciousness (stretching that term to breaking point here) of shear ignorance and stupidity that spews from these programs is a sad indictment of Australia's lowest common denominator; which is what/who these programs are designed to appeal to! :problem: :huh:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 25 Apr 2016, 7:52 am

scotty87 wrote:A comment like that, deliberate or not, puts images in the viewers mind of those evil scary black things used by madman to murder innocent people in the USA, which really shapes the rest of the article to being based on emotions and not facts.

Those are called handguns, not shotguns. We have more people beaten to death than killed with all longarms combined in the US. If you are referring to "assault weapons," they kill less than 100 people in the US each year, in a country of 330 to 350 million people. If you are talking about mass shootings, most in the US are done with handguns, and the worst we have had have been with handguns (since the 1920s, anyway), including Virginia Tech.

The US is not a good example for banning shotguns.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Apr 2016, 10:31 am

Title_II wrote:
scotty87 wrote:A comment like that, deliberate or not, puts images in the viewers mind of those evil scary black things used by madman to murder innocent people in the USA, which really shapes the rest of the article to being based on emotions and not facts.

Those are called handguns, not shotguns. We have more people beaten to death than killed with all longarms combined in the US. If you are referring to "assault weapons," they kill less than 100 people in the US each year, in a country of 330 to 350 million people. If you are talking about mass shootings, most in the US are done with handguns, and the worst we have had have been with handguns (since the 1920s, anyway), including Virginia Tech.

The US is not a good example for banning shotguns.

Not even 100..... I could not find any evidence to suggest its even 30!

As far as in Australia, mass shooting or even 'shootings' I can not recall ever involving semi-auto mil 'type' of firearms other than PA. Some well known shootings involved older mulsurp types...Post office shooting in Melbourne I believe involved an M1carb... that was supposedly shortened, thereby rendering it a manually cycled firearm...not that the readership of the papers need to know such an irrelevant detail... :thumbsdown:

Hoddle Street (conveniently) involved a 22 semi, a pump 12g, and either a Garand or an M14, not sure....

Oh.... and there was the recent kerfuffle when the original WW1 45 automatic machine Tommy gun was found.... gee they really thwarted another mass casualty event there.....
Yet there was no evidence it was at most a modern semi auto, at least a good functional replica...went quiet didnt it.

Australia is neither a good example concerning shotguns.... at least in VIC with about what 30 to 40% of the population, they were not even REGULATED until the 1970's, and from then to 1990, the homicide, firearm and non fa, increased not insignificantly...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 25 Apr 2016, 8:32 pm

Those are called handguns, not shotguns. We have more people beaten to death than killed with all longarms

I feel sorry for the handgun blokes because they are copping the blame for the illegal market when the facts are most the black market handgus are imported illegally, stolen from police/security/military organisations and the more recent market is home made.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bluerob » 26 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

juststarting wrote:I wonder, is SSAA doing anything about it? Is there anyone here who's involved with them in that capacity, to answer this?

Hate to read like I'm some sort of sage advice provider (or similar), but, have you say, in the last 10 years, ever seen the SSAA in any media (apart from their own)?

Nope.

I don't need their insurance, stubby holders or pink handgun cases. I'd like to see them regularly in mainstream media explaining the benefits (and absolute fun) at whatever shooting sport. Start with clay shooting?

I'll renew my membership once I see them in the media actually pushing our sport. I had been a member for nearly 32 years, but, can't see the point anymore.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 26 Apr 2016, 11:02 am

bluerob wrote:I don't need their insurance, stubby holders or pink handgun cases.

That's all I see them as too.

They're a business which publishes a magazine and sells random bits. Not an industry group representing us shooters.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by adam » 26 Apr 2016, 11:21 am

I think it's great the attention that you guys are paying to what the media is doing in this area, as well as posting through the complaints. I do though have my concerns about how the industry is regulated. (Just looking at the trouble or former prime minister had with the ABC not sticking to it's own legally binding charter) and whether effort could be invested in a more beneficial way.

I'm not trying to discourage the complaint process, but I am concerned as to how effective it may be, and whether there are any other options available? With the lack of action from the SSAA it seems we either need a change of leadership within there...?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics