Cat C owners switching to Adlers

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Cat C owners switching to Adlers

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 May 2016, 9:57 am

Recently a 730 epidode had an appearance by a very knowledgeable gunsmith, believe he even 'advises' the government on matters..... relating to what I dont know (but suspect it could be hydroponic drug cultivation :unknown: :lol: )

What concerning piece of stupidity that emanated from his cake hole was that Cat C owners were switching FROM category C shotguns - thats pumps and semis, TO the rapid fire new tech long range sniper rifle gun weapon Adlers....

He was demonstrating the type of weapon gun rifle that these Cat C owners were beating his door down to swap for the Addies;

Positive is that these dangerous military firearms are getting off the streets...into the possession of this drug addict... sorry 'gunsmith'....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Re: Cat C owners switching to Adlers

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 May 2016, 10:49 am

Well, that stopped me for a moment. My eyes took in a "black rifle", but then my brain refused to acknowledge that cocking indicator. I had to look for some time to actually believe I was looking at a Martini. The stupid that infests the ABC is endless, and certainly mindless. What hope for reason against that level of idiocy?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 May 2016, 10:53 am

More effective than a semiautomatic shotgun then ?

Smells fishy, the lengths GCA will go to are amazing.

Has anyone done any groundwork on this so called gunsmith?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 15 May 2016, 11:33 am

That is the most ridiculous looking POS I have ever seen. It's gotta be made up for the story.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 May 2016, 11:35 am

The story I saw claimed Cat C license holders were trading in pump-semi autos because the Adler holds more than 5 rounds.

For those in NSW it's illegal to use the tubular magazine extensions to increase magazine capacity so I doubt anyone from NSW would be silly enough to get rid of their Cat C for an Adler.

(4)
(e) a tubular magazine extension that is capable of extending the capacity of any firearm.
www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_ ... /sch1.html

Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 15 May 2016, 11:52 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:He was demonstrating the type of weapon gun rifle that these Cat C owners were beating his door down to swap for the Addies;

Where the f*** do I even begin

If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 May 2016, 12:05 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Well, that stopped me for a moment. My eyes took in a "black rifle", but then my brain refused to acknowledge that cocking indicator. I had to look for some time to actually believe I was looking at a Martini. The stupid that infests the ABC is endless, and certainly mindless. What hope for reason against that level of idiocy?

Martini??? what is this evil you speak of :lol:
I couldnt believe my eyes to actually see what I was a seein'..... if its not the most ridiculous non-sense, the guy is telling us about the shotgun thats so awesome while fondling a fully tactically kitted out one of these;
Patent V.Martini, 1869
I believe coming from this Patent Peabody 1862

Ye, a tactical rifle (possibly shotgun) over one and a half centuries old in design, that we warred with against the Zulus all those years ago....

I'd bet that if you stuck an AR1 stock off the end, gave it a quad pic rail outfront, mounted an M16 style upper receiver handle.... VIC pol would recategorise it to cat D.... :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 May 2016, 12:07 pm

Title_II wrote:That is the most ridiculous looking POS I have ever seen. It's gotta be made up for the story.

No. I'm quite sure the 'gunsmith' in the story is a special kind of..... something....

I couldnt find the 730 episode... iview programs expire...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 May 2016, 12:35 pm

Just to keep all up to date with developments of the Adler A110, and to remind all prospective Adler owners of the A120 model- with 300 round extended velocity rapid drum magazine clip variant (standard capacity before extended'ing is 200 bullets weapons) as follows;

This is the 200 clip bullet version.... I'm trying to locate the extendeded version

Keep it on the down-low, :silent: we dont want Davie Shiitbrick and his band of developmentally retarded hangers-on...catching on to this...game changer...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 May 2016, 1:12 pm

So Bentaz walks into the gunstore and asks for a Greener GP pistol grip stock.....

The sounds of Crickets reverberate across the walls of the store.......accompanied by the bewildered blank gaze of the proprietor

"No... Really...."
says Bentaz, as the proprietor slowly raises his outstretched index finger and points to the door.

:lol: :friends:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2016, 1:24 pm

Interesting story, they name the gunsmith but I'm not about to slag him off as yet till I know more about his background.

Watch it here....
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4452362.htm
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 May 2016, 1:47 pm

aaaah there it is.. good one Brett :thumbsup:

Why wouldnt you name him? he elected to go on 730, in a self promoting story, he's riding the wave of anti-Adler HYSTERIA while at the same time advertising his 'service' to all Adler owners.??? how effed up is that??... I will neither name him but I'll paste the transcript from the ABC here;

All I'll say is that if the Addie is moved to cat C..... then the few dollars he makes out of this may well be some of the last he makes in the industry

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Broadcast: 28/04/2016

Reporter: Dylan Welch

An Adelaide gunsmith has attracted controversy after his decision to legally modifying a shotgun to match the ammunition load of a higher capacity version which was banned from importation last year.
Transcript
LEIGH SALES, PRESENTER: Today's 20th anniversary of the Port Arthur Massacre has sparked much discussion of Australia's national gun control laws and warnings to ward against complacency.

Against that backdrop, it may disturb some people to learn that a shotgun with high ammunition capacity is now doing the rounds of collectors and shooters.

Last year 7.30 reported on the imminent arrival of the Adler gun in Australia, and soon after the story aired, the Government announced it was suspending importations.

But as Dylan Welch reports, the ban hasn't stopped the gun's appearance and in some cases it's being modified to an even higher capacity than originally designed.

NIK HALLIWELL, , GUN MODIFIER: Alright. If you want to count out seven rounds, we'll load it up, we'll go from seven.

DYLAN WELCH, REPORTER: OK.

Under Australia's importation laws, this shouldn't be happening.

NIK HALLIWELL: That's the sixth magical one. Seven. Alright, do you want to take a step back? Here we go. Ya ready? (Fires gun) That's it, we're all clear.

DYLAN WELCH: So that was seven cartridges, the original design?

NIK HALLIWELL: Yep that was seven in the magazine, but none in the chamber, so as it was originally designed coming out of the factory.

DYLAN WELCH: Adelaide gunsmith Nik Halliwell's firing the Adler Lever Action Shotgun. It's been modified to get around the suspension of the importation of the seven or eight-shot Adler.

NIK HALLIWELL: That was straight seven shots in about 10 to 12 seconds, so it's not as rapid as you might expect.

DYLAN WELCH: The gun has infuriated Australia's gun control lobby, which believes it's an attempt to undermine the 1996 National Firearms Agreement reached following the Port Arthur massacre.

ROLAND BROWNE, GUN CONTROL AUSTRALIA: They are a military type of gun and they have no place in a civilian society. John Howard moved Australia towards having shotguns with a maximum of two cartridges at a time. That's the safest position for Australia. We don't need people really setting themselves up as Rambo in the suburbs with weapons like this.

ROBERT BROWN, SHOOTERS, FISHERS & FARMERS PARTY: That is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard. It is not a military-type firearm. It is a - what the Americans would call a sporting firearm. Most of the people, I assume, who would have bought it in Australia would have bought it for pig hunting.

DYLAN WELCH (July, 2015): It can fire eight shots in as many seconds using a firing mechanism straight from the Wild West.

Two weeks after we aired this story last year, then-Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced he was banning the importation of the gun due to its high magazine capacity.

It was a small inconvenience for the gun's importer, Robert Nioa. He quickly imported thousands of Adlers with a five-shot capacity that is easily modifiable to take more rounds.

NIK HALLIWELL: Hey, good morning. How you doing?

DYLAN WELCH: Good.

NIK HALLIWELL: Come in, come in.

DYLAN WELCH: Thank you.

Nik Halliwell runs a gun-modification workshop in the Adelaide suburbs.

NIK HALLIWELL: I've spent 20 years in the trade as a precision machinist running an outworking for several large companies. I've also worked for the military as well doing an support Armoured Corps role in that. I used to gunsmith for other people professionally and decided to break away and start my own company.

DYLAN WELCH: He's an industry expert being consulted by the state Police Minister regarding changes to firearms regulations. He's also one of the few people in Australia able and willing to legally modify the Adler five-shot gun to an eight or 11-shot firearm. His decision has attracted controversy and this is the first time he's spoken publicly.

So this is the magazine, the stock standard magazine?

NIK HALLIWELL: Yep, that's the standard tubular magazine underneath. What basically happens with these is this is currently a five-shot capacity and to pull it apart, give it a bit of a wiggle just lightly and we just keep pulling and then it comes out. And with an extension piece on, they're gonna sit roughly about there, so it's gonna extended it by about - by about two extra shells.

DYLAN WELCH: Modifying the gun takes Nik Halliwell about 10 minutes. This piece of tubing allows the gun to fire an extra two shells before reloading and turns it into the banned gun. It's so easy, he also emails three-page do-it-yourself guides to people who know their guns.

For months, owners of the Adler have been talking about modifications.

ADLER GUN OWNER: It would be really nice if they'd allow us to get the, um, eight-shot magazine. I believe there's some companies already doing extension tubes for them ...

DYLAN WELCH: While the Federal Government has temporarily banned importation of the seven-round Adler, most states have no restriction on how many rounds you can have in a lever-action shotgun, which means when Nik Halliwell modifies the five-round Adler, it's perfectly legal.

NIK HALLIWELL: All I'm doing is using state and territory laws quite openly and it's quite clearly stated in the law that we're allowed to do this. It's quite permitted.

DYLAN WELCH: But his work's still controversial given the import ban. It's come to the attention of police in other states and politicians opposed to the gun.

NICK MCKIM, GREENS SENATOR: The intent of the 12-month ban was very clear. We now understand that there are people working around that by engaging in modifications of magazines to allow for more shots than is currently covered in the import ban and we would like to see a lot of these loopholes cleared up, tightened up.

DYLAN WELCH: But Australia's most powerful pro-gun political party, the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party, disagrees.

ROBERT BROWN: If it's legal in South Australia and he's not prosecuted, I can say to you that it doesn't really matter from a public safety point of view how many rounds they can change the magazine over.

JOHN HOWARD, THEN PRIME MINISTER (June 6, 1996): I'm sorry about that, but there is no other way - there is no other way!

DYLAN WELCH: In the wake of Martin Bryant's murderous rampage, John Howard convinced all Australian states to enact identical legislation which tightened gun ownership controls and restricted access to some rapid-fire guns. Gun Control Australia says the Adler threatens that hard-won accord.

ROLAND BROWNE: It's a breach of the spirit of the 1996 Port Arthur round of gun laws that came in following the massacre and it needs to be banned in Australia.

JOURNALIST: This idea that it's contrary to the spirit of the '96 agreement, what do you say to that?

ROBERT BROWN: So what? Who cares? We don't want the '96 agreement. The '96 agreement, as I've just said, was a piece of garbage. It should be - it should be torn up. The states had before 1996 very strict firearm laws. Yeah, it went bad in Tasmania, very bad, but every state had the capacity then to do what they thought they needed to do.

DYLAN WELCH: 7.30's been told that gun owners using more powerful guns in the heavily restricted firearms category C and D are switching to the Adler, which sits in the less-restricted category A.

Would you choose this shotgun if you were a professional shooter or a farmer?

NIK HALLIWELL: A lot of the professional shooters C and D class that I work with who run, say, a pump-action C-class shotgun, they're actually converting to these as a category A because they can have more shots, so if they're culling from helicopters or chasing down pigs and dogs, it makes it easier for them to get repeated shots.

DYLAN WELCH: The gun is set to cause controversy for months yet with concerns the importation ban due to expire in August will lapse before the Government has made a final decision about what to do with the Adler.

LEIGH SALES: Dylan Welch reporting.

c/- ABC, http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4452362.htm
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2016, 6:48 pm

Only reason I didn't name him was that I'd forgotten his name by the end of the clip and was in a rush to post and hit the range :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 15 May 2016, 7:36 pm

The gunsmith in question is a well respected contributer on a certain Australian technology forum, he does alot of custom work, bolt handles, muzzle brakes and builds custom rifles and does cerakoting as well as the adler stuff. I believe his work is all to a high standard. IIRC from his posts on the other forum he used to do work for/with APRS and nightforce.

I don't think he should cop flak from the firearm community, the media has well and truly taken its stance with the Adler and will mince anyone's words however they want, thats not about to change no matter how well presented an argument or individual is.

Some of his work:

https://mobile.facebook.com/iceng.au/?_rdr
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 15 May 2016, 8:00 pm

I try not to get too involved in your politics as a guest and out of courtesy, but I am starting to get really pissed.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2016, 9:08 pm

scotty87 wrote:The gunsmith in question is a well respected contributer on a certain Australian technology forum, he does alot of custom work, bolt handles, muzzle brakes and builds custom rifles and does cerakoting as well as the adler stuff. I believe his work is all to a high standard. IIRC from his posts on the other forum he used to do work for/with APRS and nightforce.

I don't think he should cop flak from the firearm community, the media has well and truly taken its stance with the Adler and will mince anyone's words however they want, thats not about to change no matter how well presented an argument or individual is.

Some of his work:

Thanks Scotty, sometimes we forget how sneaky the media is. It's entirely possible they misrepresented their intentions when interviewing him, hence my reserved judgement. He interviews well, but the media probably took bits and pieces and put a total spin on it in favour of the anti's.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2016, 9:12 pm

Title_II wrote:I try not to get too involved in your politics as a guest and out of courtesy, but I am starting to get really pissed.

You're not a guest, you're a brother so feel free to get involved in our politics as you can only improve it :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 May 2016, 9:41 pm

scotty87 wrote:The gunsmith in question is a well respected contributer on a certain Australian technology forum, he does alot of custom work, bolt handles, muzzle brakes and builds custom rifles and does cerakoting as well as the adler stuff. I believe his work is all to a high standard. IIRC from his posts on the other forum he used to do work for/with APRS and nightforce.

Some of his work:

So maybe he thought that appearing on the ABC, showing how the Adler can be modified 'in 10 minutes' to bypass the import restrictions was going to support the case against further lever restrictions??

Voice-over while he's loading the 7 rounds: "......This shouldnt be happening" which says it all really....

I'm sure he's a good bloke and all... but he was on there, it would appear mainly (solely?) promoting his business of modifying Adlers (and tactical Martinis :lol: ).
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2016, 9:52 pm

I'm curious what story the reporters fed him, surely no one is naïve enough to be a gunsmith and give the anti's yet another excuse to bash us. He's essentially shooting himself in the foot if he knew the angle of the story and still agreed to do the interview. I'd like to think he's been used by the media till proven otherwise.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 16 May 2016, 9:10 am

brett1868 wrote:
Title_II wrote:I try not to get too involved in your politics as a guest and out of courtesy, but I am starting to get really pissed.

You're not a guest, you're a brother so feel free to get involved in our politics as you can only improve it :)

Thank you :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 May 2016, 9:30 am

NEW Adler A120 coming soon!, c/-enoughguns....

is now no.1 on the google search above the 'granulator'... :D

Should go on abused guns... but I cant decide whether I should 'let go' the standard 120, or the extended drum mag version;

Too much? :P
Yeah, I've had some feeding issues :lol:

Post script, perhaps I should contact our friend Nik Halliwell, 'Gun Modifier' and see if he can sort the feeding issue for me... :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 16 May 2016, 5:59 pm

Classic Genesis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Classic

:lol: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 16 May 2016, 7:41 pm

What? No way a right minded person would swap out a cat C for a clunky lever shotgun.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by knowsnothin » 16 May 2016, 8:33 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:NEW Adler A120 coming soon!, c/-enoughguns....

is now no.1 on the google search above the 'granulator'... :D

Should go on abused guns... but I cant decide whether I should 'let go' the standard 120, or the extended drum mag version;

Too much? :P
Yeah, I've had some feeding issues :lol:

Post script, perhaps I should contact our friend Nik Halliwell, 'Gun Modifier' and see if he can sort the feeding issue for me... :unknown:

You need a high powered nikko stirling scope on it to take advantage of its super-assassin sniper capabilities
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 17 May 2016, 9:20 am

Seems the extension needs a prohibited weapon's permit in NSW

"Tubular Magazine Extension Capable of extending the capacity of any firearm = prohibited weapon permit required."

Taken from
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0011/209477/FACT_SHEET_Firearm_Magazines_October_2012.pdf
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics