Define 'Mass Shooting'

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Define 'Mass Shooting'

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2016, 5:24 pm

So, i have been in a protracted debate regarding the claim that there have been "no mass shootings" in Australia since NFA was introduced as it really gets my goat.

It has now been stated that a mass shooting is defined "in Australia" as 5 or more people shot 'indiscriminately', not including the shooter in the same or a similar location.

It seems there are a number of different definitions, depending on where you look.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Define 'Mass Shooting'

Post by valkyrie » 19 Jun 2016, 6:12 pm

American figures are based on 4 people shot. Can include the shooter. Also no one actually has to die, only be shot so using the american definition the nsw police caused a mass shooting a cluple of weeks ago. Taxpayer dollars at theri best
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2016, 7:05 pm

Seems like a very convenient definition to me. I wonder when it was instituted and by whom.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Jun 2016, 7:16 pm

Well.... although Aussies normally have a VERY short memory - the last MASS shooting in Australia was....

10 days ago, c/o our finest of NSW police.

Remember? 4 or 5 shot by by the popo in a public place, almost killing a bunch of older citizenry for the sake of protecting their own skins??

'Shooting' is a vague difficult to define description as it does not reference the actual injury 'level' and is therefore only used to emotionally describe and categorise nefarious firearm activities. Mostly for and by the tard who seek to remove the guns from 'us'...

Mass killing and Mass shooting are conveniently confused regularly and INTERCHANGED BY THE PRESSTITUTES. For obvious reasons.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 Jun 2016, 7:27 pm

Gwion wrote:So, i have been in a protracted debate regarding the claim that there have been "no mass shootings" in Australia since NFA.....

It has now been stated that a mass shooting is defined "in Australia" as 5 or more people shot 'indiscriminately', not including the shooter in the same or a similar location.

It seems there are a number of different definitions, depending on where you look.

If they redefine it into 5 or more shot that makes Monash university a mass shooting along with the police shooting at the Lindt siege which saw 4 women wounded with 1 killed along with the single male offender with a beard.
(Not having a go at the Police it's a tough job )

Yes there are a number of different definitions according to where the goal posts are with the person you are talking to.

At least that person sounds like he doesn't include family homicides in mass shooting numbers by using 'indiscriminately'.
We have only had 5 mass shootings where the victims were unknown to the offender before our 1996 laws.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/10/ ... 42556.html
Last edited by Baronvonrort on 19 Jun 2016, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2016, 7:29 pm

My argument was similar.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2016, 7:33 pm

The goal posts shift constantly.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 19 Jun 2016, 7:35 pm

Mass stabbings are how we roll in Oz.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2016, 7:39 pm

My argument was that saying there have been no mass shooting since the NFA in confirming its success was a false argument and pointed out the importance of seeing the bigger picture in an overall historical context and that there has in fact been multiple/mass shootings since the NFA.

Also that firearms violence trends remain relatively unchanged in the historical context and the NFA has done little to effect the trend.
Last edited by Gwion on 19 Jun 2016, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Jun 2016, 7:39 pm

Its ALL a word GAME...
Mass shooting
Multiple shooting
Mass killing
Multiple killing....

All achieve the goal of gasping in terror readership...

Of course multiple is more than one, so if there are 2 victims its multiple, if its 3 or 4 or more then 'mass' kicks in... to get the attention of who's attention there is to be got...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2016, 7:39 pm

Deleted double post.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 Jun 2016, 8:06 pm

Gwion wrote:The goal posts shift constantly.

The goal posts move in sync with backpeddling. :D
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Jun 2016, 8:10 pm

Whenever the killing by way of firearms stats are purposefully segregated from other means.... you know the author, speaker, mouthpiece has ulterior motives.

A death is a death, is a death,we know there have been many mass-killings over the last 20yrs, stabbings, burnings, motor vehicle etc, but these are overlooked by the grubs because these deaths have a lesser worth....when theres no gun!!

They say Howards laws have saved so many suicides.... because the firearm suicides have gone down, while totally neglecting the FACT that there are MORE suicides now!, just less by firearm...
Like saying Iraq hasnt had a mass shooting for XX long so is therefore safe..... when they have mass suicide killings everyday practically, but they dont count because they werent gun deaths....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by tom604 » 19 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm

there has been a few "mass" killings,backpacker hostel,old people home,both with fire and the knifing's in cairns? the farmer that killed/shot his family and himself.
but it all depends on the media's view of them :thumbsdown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 19 Jun 2016, 8:22 pm

Also that firearms violence trends remain relatively unchanged in the historical context and the NFA has done little to effect the trend.

The governments own statistics show firearm related violence had been trending down long before the NFA was introduced and the trend continues to decline. It is one of the statistical truths that the anti gun people conveniently ignore.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 19 Jun 2016, 8:28 pm

Not to mention the woman that killed seven or eight kids up in QLD not to long back.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2016, 8:35 pm

Was extremely frustrating to have friend completely ignor reference to abs and aic links backing up your arguments. Let's just say I had more respect until now for this person.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Jun 2016, 8:37 pm

happyhunter wrote:

The governments own statistics show firearm related violence had been trending down long before the NFA was introduced and the trend continues to decline. It is one of the statistical truths that the anti gun people conveniently ignore.

I had shown that not only did the downward trend exist.... but it was interupted - that is paused for a couple of yrs by little johnnies meddling...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Jun 2016, 7:34 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

I had shown that not only did the downward trend exist.... but it was interupted - that is paused for a couple of yrs by little johnnies meddling...

Just as a most inconvenient refresher;
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Jun 2016, 7:41 am

I think the new mass shooting definition involves 1 or more people these days :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Jun 2016, 7:47 am

I find it quite disgusting and revolting the way the local media pounce on ANY firearm incident, a single fatality, more so if it involves an 'interest group', even if there are no fatalities.....and take the opportunity to push the gun control agenda... I believe this is most a murdoch directive, given that he controls a huge chunk of our local news and media.. he is a gun-grabbist, he is a bilderberger (that is NO longer a 'conspiracy theory')...

The fact that say deaths, multiple deaths don't rate a mention then firearm injuries do?? How many 2x, 3/4/5+ motor vehicle fatalities occur in North America?

There was an horrific boating/tourist incident overnight in Russia, involving the deaths of 15 children....will it rate a mention given that a firearm wasnt involved? will it be more than a 5 second grab, or more than a text scrolling across the screen during the sport report? Will the same LBGT or other victimised group vigilise in cities calling for tougher boating rules in Russia?? Will the local tards call for tougher boating rules in Australia to stop such an atrocity here?

And of course the recent high profile childrens safety anti-bullying group AMF, will they have anything to say?

Nah. Wasnt a mass shooting.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 20 Jun 2016, 3:16 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I think the new mass shooting definition involves 1 or more people these days :unknown:

Apparently not in Australia, mate. If it was, govt & media would have to admit that the NFA isn't the prime example for international firearm regulation they claim it to be.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 20 Jun 2016, 5:34 pm

Talk of "Mass Shootings" is Bullsh*t and smoke up the peoples *ss. I live in Oklahoma in 1995 168, possibly more, people were murdered in the Murrah Building bombing. McVeigh used ammonia fertilizer and auto fuel. Islamic extremist terrorists used box knives and airliners to murder thousands.

Evil finds away. Only good people with arms can stop evil.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Return to Firearms related media and politics