Michael Diamond

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Michael Diamond

Post by Angel » 30 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I don't know him personally and I certainly don't want to crucify the man, but what is your take on the Micheal Diamond saga? Has he done more harm than good?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympics/

Cheers.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Michael Diamond

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Jun 2016, 4:41 pm

What he's done is got caught drink driving with his shotgun in the boot, ergo, drunk in charge of a firearm. Stupid mistake emanating from domestic troubles, and I wouldn't hang a man for that. Could happen to anyone, but reinforces the message, don't drink untill your gun is in the safe.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 30 Jun 2016, 4:48 pm

I don't know the whole story but s**t happens, going to give him the benefit of the doubt
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Jun 2016, 4:52 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:What he's done is got caught drink driving with his shotgun in the boot, ergo, drunk in charge of a firearm. Stupid mistake emanating from domestic troubles, and I wouldn't hang a man for that. Could happen to anyone, but reinforces the message, don't drink until your gun is in the safe.

And now he automatically represents the nearly 2 million LAFOs in Australia.

Well done, Diamond. Well done.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jun 2016, 5:04 pm

Hasn't been found guilty in court and he'll be fighting the charges, yet one of the lady hockey players has been allowed to compete despite also being charged with DUI. On the surface it appears to be a case of double standards or reverse discrimination, guess more will be know once he goes to court. Personally I have no time for drink drivers (Brother killed by drunk driver 2000), since it's a charge only and not a verdict he should be treated as innocent till proven guilty.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

brett1868 wrote: since it's a charge only and not a verdict he should be treated as innocent till proven guilty.

Innocent until proven guilty? But this is Australia! How could someone even suggest something so rational :sarcasm:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 30 Jun 2016, 5:16 pm

so i have read the article,shooting Australia told the AOC that they were not going to nominate Diamond :| so the AOC couldn't excuse the breaches like they did with another athlete (minus the gun in the boot) so it was out of AOC's hands/control,,shooting Australia is :allegedly: standing by Diamond in these trying times :huh: so if shooting Australia had nominated Diamond then AOC could of excused the breach and he could of gone to Rio and won another medal.

i don't know if i would want those guys to be standing by me or anywhere near me, still he's got time for a :drinks: :violin:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jun 2016, 5:38 pm

Doh....you're right, it wasn't the AOC's call but Shooting Australia's. I heard somewhere that someone qualified better then him in the lead up competitions which is why he wasn't nominated by Shooting Aus. No matter who competes there I hope all the shooters bag a pile of Gold just to stick it to the anti's :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2016, 7:28 pm

" I hope all the shooters bag a pile of Gold just to stick it to the anti's :) "

+1 And the greedy politicians
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jun 2016, 7:34 pm

It goes to show just how scrutinized and regulated we are as a group.

I cant think of any other sports that would attract that sort of punishment in similar circumstances.
Discuss thrower banned after found pissed behind the wheel with discuss in the boot. Facing DUI and discuss charges ?

Meanwhile, AFL and NRL stars are being let off the hook regularly for beating their wives, taking drugs, DUI, pissing in their own mouthes :lol: , rape and the list goes on.

If we were to put a rugby team together for the Olympics and only chose ones with squeaky clean records, I'd be surprised if they could find a full team.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jun 2016, 8:00 pm

Wonder what would've happened if he'd was DUI and had a CRICKET bat in the boot? :sarcasm:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

Firearms license suspended - no license no shooting I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm

Firearms license suspended - no license no shooting I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tiger650 » 30 Jun 2016, 8:58 pm

No natural justice for we folk, Diamond has been accused but not convicted yet suffers severe penalties.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-28/e ... ce/7545632

The above slimy piece of s#it and all his family should be in jail but they are special.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 30 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm

Not to be 'that guy' but you don't get 'accused' of drink driving. You fail a preliminary breath test, you then go to the station/bus and provide a secondary sample. Fail that and you are done. Depending on what range you are over the limit your license is suspended or cancelled on the spot. You don't get accused of Drink driving , you get caught drink driving.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Angel » 01 Jul 2016, 8:36 am

on_one_wheel wrote:If we were to put a rugby team together for the Olympics and only chose ones with squeaky clean records, I'd be surprised if they could find a full team.

LOL I love Rugby League but you are absolutely correct....
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Jul 2016, 9:47 am

Thats me in the photo....no its not, but I'm betting you perved before reading this line... :shock:
Although I'm not as hot on the olympics anymore, I only watch the 'pure sportsmanship' type of sporty sports, where the competitors rely only on their natural abilities, inherent skills, along with years of tiresome training.........

.....like this sport, Beach Volleyball :P
[funny the Olympic rules requires the mandatory itzy bitzy 'uniform' and disqualification if the women actually try to cover their bods.... :unknown: so it has absolutely nothing to do with pure viewer bait, not complaining though]

And of course the shooting sports which attract only just north of zero air-time, except if theres a WINNNNER in the ranks who snatches a gold, then theres a 5 second audio grab, Perhaps a page 3 quarter page image.... then its back to bad shooters, bad gunses....

AS FAR A diamond goes, regardless of the politics, if he was the highest qualifying then they have ZERO excuse at the AOC for not supporting him, the idea, so we're told is the "go for GOLD".... if there is someone more worthy, then move along, you've had your go Mike....thank you for representing our nation :thumbsup: ..

As far as this line goes about him not being able to train....just quietly - you are EXEMPT from holding licence when under supervision on a range mate :allegedly: I dont think the prohibited person, whether or not he's as yet classified as such, can actually disqualify an individual from the exemption!!

As far as the media coverage, yes, if he was a she, then the drinking charges even if confirmed BY A COURT OF LAW ..... would have been disregarded, wiped away for national honour so SHE could compete in the sport she had trained for, for so many long years....and she would have been excused/exonerated in the great court of public opinion, given the benefit of the doubt.... but in this age of total geneder equality, that would never happen....

..... what? The FEMALE hockey player, not only LIED about a drink driving charge, but was then still allowed to attend the Ollies!?

Well, of course, just like racism only applies the inhabitant of a developed nation with the fairer shade of skin..... sexism only applies to males, their action, and decisions relating to them.

Carry on. :drinks:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Supaduke » 01 Jul 2016, 10:25 am

Come on mate, you know only White Males can be racist. Everyone else is just an oppressed minority (cough)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Jul 2016, 11:55 am

First up, this is not his first charge and not the first time his firearms licence was suspended.

He also had stated this hasn't affected his preparation as he doesn't train.......

Shooting Australia binned him not the AOC.. He has a right of reply which he is doing.

He was caught high range drink driving, with a gun and ammunition in the car. He was not going to the range OR leaving a range....

Lets keep it to the facts and not conspiracy theories like every other thread of late....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Jul 2016, 2:06 pm

Supaduke wrote:Come on mate, you know only White Males can be racist. Everyone else is just an oppressed minority (cough)

SHUDDUP..... i demand a safe space. :huh:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

You don't allegedly have a BAC above the legal limit. You are either over the limit or not over, and he's a proven drink driver so that makes him an idiot.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 01 Jul 2016, 5:20 pm

happyhunter wrote:You don't allegedly have a BAC above the legal limit. You are either over the limit or not over, and he's a proven drink driver so that makes him an idiot.

Agreed, Olympian or not. Caught red handed. And like the rest of us in a similar situation gets his punishment. No firearms license so no guns, no shooting. It just won't do to have unlicensed shooters on your Olympic team. It's unfortunate but in some ways it's a good thing that he is not given special treatment.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigM » 01 Jul 2016, 7:22 pm

While he was over the limit to drive, it has not actually been established that he was driving in this condition.
The gun was locked in the car and possession seems hard to prove.

It is not as black and white as some are presenting.

Pity that he is guilty until proven innocent.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 02 Jul 2016, 2:13 pm

bigM wrote:While he was over the limit to drive, it has not actually been established that he was driving in this condition.
The gun was locked in the car and possession seems hard to prove.

It is not as black and white as some are presenting.

Pity that he is guilty until proven innocent.

From what I heard-read he was not driving but standing beside car when police turned up, if his brother dobbed him in then he will be done for DD.

If he had a Cat A shotgun no legal requirements for transporting It he does have to explain how he would take it from car to gun safe, if there was another Cat A license holder living with him he could say they could have brought it in.

From what I understand there is a young kid who met all the selection criteria and should have been chosen over MD, the Olympic selections can be a farce I recall a person who met all the criteria for Sailing in 2000 yet was bumped for someone who didn't meet the selection criteria.

Alcohol causes a lot of problems, as a former bouncer I think we have 3 types of drunk which are happy-depressive and aggressive, if you're not a happy drunk don't get drunk.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 26 Jul 2016, 3:50 pm

But they need to get drunk so they can do stupid things and say "It wasn't my fault, I was drunk".

Because that is a rock solid excuse for anything :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by southwest shooter » 29 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

loves a few coldies from what i hear.
southwest shooter
Corporal