The AR-15 or really any semi-auto used for hunting.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

The AR-15 or really any semi-auto used for hunting.

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Jul 2016, 1:28 am

I know the semiautomatic rifle is banned to you in Australia. But maybe, maybe, this article might be of use to you.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/7-animals-hu ... 16393.html
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Re: The AR-15 or really any semi-auto used for hunting.

Post by Noisydad » 08 Jul 2016, 6:29 am

I remember way back ( he's says in a croaking old voice) when blokes were buying .30 carbines for shooting pigs in lignum swamps because of their compact size. Lots of tractors and rice headers in southern NSW had one in a rack in the cab. In the late 70s and early 80s they sold for around $120 -$170.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 08 Jul 2016, 7:00 am

I used a semi auto for hunting countless times.
Remember the Sterling model 110?, 10 shot .22LR, with a blow back action. Mine was a piece of junk, but I use to keep the ammo factory people employed all by myself!
Out in Victoria on the gravel hills where burrows were everywhere and rabbits numbered in the thousands, the semi auto ruled. Even in my mind today I could not see a bolt action keeping up, it is almost a laugh to think about it. The virus sorted that out pretty good but the bunnys are making a comeback.
Then there was the mini 14 in .223 chasing pigs in Queensland. That was when I learnt to reload!"........ The rest is history.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2016, 8:42 am

Yep, I had my fatherinlaws sterling semi 22RF. Thanks to little Johnny, no more.
But I think this sums it up. "The semiautomatic feature, which allows these guns to shoot up to 45 rounds a minute, is not always necessary, but useful in some situations, hunters say."

Personally I have never really needed one because of the type of hunting I do, some hunters do though. But the bans on pumps is just stupid in my book.

Lets ban cars, they kill a few hundred every year. :sarcasm: Oh and swimming pools and boats too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 08 Jul 2016, 9:19 am

Noisydad wrote:I remember way back ( he's says in a croaking old voice) when blokes were buying .30 carbines for shooting pigs in lignum swamps because of their compact size. Lots of tractors and rice headers in southern NSW had one in a rack in the cab. In the late 70s and early 80s they sold for around $120 -$170.

:drinks: to the "good old days" when common sense was, well, common (in most parts).

I had a Ruger Mini 14 which accounted for alot of pigs in amongst the lignum. The M1 .30's were common with a few Sydney hunters I took out a few times too. My best mate had an AR10 that accounted for alot of pigs, goat etc. Pump-action shotgun (mine) and my best mates SPAS12 sorted a few too. Google the SPAS12. I only used it once.

Then the SKS arrived and you could buy a semi auto heavy hitter for bugger all and a particular gun store would do a deal on crates of ammo. They appeared at AG shows and sold quicker than beer. Sydney blokes arrived in droves with these (where I lived).

One quick story about the SKS. Took some blokes out (I'll leave out the often used term) who arrived for 5 days of shooting. They blew their ammo off in 2 and the LGS was a 3 hour drive away and double the price for ammo. Thankfully they went home. They scared anything off when they came across the 1st mob of pig's. I thought I was in the middle of a fire fight. Ammo cases bouncing off the windscreen and christ knows where else. I was finding SKS cases for months.

You'd be surprised how many .222's were around in those days and also accounted for alot of ferals.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't miss semi auto centrefire rifles. If you can't manage a bolt action and a smart calibre, you shouldn't be shooting, IMHO.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 08 Jul 2016, 9:46 am

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't miss semi auto centrefire rifles. If you can't manage a bolt action and a smart calibre, you shouldn't be shooting, IMHO.[/quote]

:drinks:
Have to agree, The semi auto had a place in my safe but these days my hunting / shooting does not require it. My little bolt gun is far better than any semi auto that I ever owned.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Jul 2016, 9:46 am

Your mob over there GLS.... really need to stop trying to justify the need of semi-autos, particularly the AR15 - as necessary for hunting...
YES a semi auto is almost absolutely necessary in some situations, such as here in Aus, the return of mainstream use would do so much to help control of various pest species, from rabbit and birds(sg) through to even the horses and camels... particularly the pigs, when a large mob is encountered...

But your 2nd amendment right is based on countering a feral government....and you know theyve gone feral when they use so much energy trying to take away that right....trouble is the ferals in Washington DC, are the loudest ones...

The Assault rifle ban that 'sunset' over a decade ago, was a lot different to the semi-auto ban here... over there the sale of new rifles ceased (correct me if I'm wrong) while existing rifles were left alone...'grandfathered'

While in Australia, at the SAME time of the U.S.assault weapon ban - NOT AT ALL COINCIDENTALLY our own assault weapon ban (control /buyback/ registration / licensing ) was being FINALISED. It was a further step of buyback (read confiscation with threat of jail time) and stripping all semis away then licensing the very very few who qualified, larger scale farmers, commercial cullers also of sufficient scale...

I have no doubt the same forces were behind both the USA and Aus 'bans', some may argue until they realise who was supporting a certain Dr Peters, who sent her to Aus, financed her and also financed every gun control activity up to current.....

Anyhoo, Semi-autos are not banned here, yes, it has been said many time, (full)autos have been highly controlled in various states since around ww1 or earlier, semis not. The current situation (at least as of 2 years ago) in the example of the municipal district I live in with over 140,000 people is as follows, contrary to the high anti-gun sentiment ingrained in many people courtesy of the news media;

17,000+ shotguns (inc.airguns, possibly rimfires)
8,000 approx. centrefire rifles
350+ SEMI AUTO (combination unknown)
1,000 appro handguns

Total firearm ownership approx 19 to 20 arms per 100 people. (bit above national average)

This data was published via a media outlet obtaining Victoria data, so is not entirely correct with descriptions, but its what we have...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Jul 2016, 9:58 am

Bills Shed wrote:To be perfectly honest with you, I don't miss semi auto centrefire rifles. If you can't manage a bolt action and a smart calibre, you shouldn't be shooting, IMHO.

:drinks:
Have to agree, The semi auto had a place in my safe.

Bill[/quote]

It could have a place in my safe...
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2016, 11:12 am

I recon a 10/22 is a necessity for rabbits.

Some days you have multiple targets, say 6 to 12 rabbits all sunning themselves in close proximity to each other. You shoot the first one and the other hesitate for a handful of seconds .....pop pop pop pop pop pop ... blody wonderful stuff and impossible wirh a bolt action.

Semi auto center fire is not permitted for roos so that's out but still has it's place for pigs, horses, donkeys, camels and so on if you do that kind of work.

My first ever hunting experience as a young lad was with 2 blokes who packed 2 skk's with 30 shot clips and 2 massive boxes of mill surp ammo (or was that sks?) , a 308 and 2 marching 45 semi auto pistols. We were like a rolling vehicle of death ... goats, pigs and plague numbers of roos. That was Wilcannia 1995.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Jul 2016, 12:31 pm

Genesis93: I'm in complete agreement with you on the Second Amendment. It is all about freedom and resistance to tyranny. Something way too many politicians don't understand.

I just shared because so many people claim there is no other use for ARs or any semi-auto other than use against our fellow man.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Jul 2016, 12:38 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:Genesis93: I'm in complete agreement with you on the Second Amendment. It is all about freedom and resistance to tyranny. Something way too many politicians don't understand.

I just shared because so many people claim there is no other use for ARs or any semi-auto other than use against our fellow man.

:thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 08 Jul 2016, 12:42 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:Genesis93: I'm in complete agreement with you on the Second Amendment. It is all about freedom and resistance to tyranny. Something way too many politicians don't understand.

Don't give an inch on your constitutional rights the gun grabbers will never be happy.

I don't really like AR15's I think they are cheap ordinary rifles that had a poor reputation for reliability after Vietnam, I would prefer the Ruger SR556 takedown with the 300 blackout kit the gas piston are superior IMO.

I would take a Ruger SR22 rifle as well. :D
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Jul 2016, 1:18 pm

The type of firearm is irrelevant... it's the fact that the government, or more so a faction of the government want to take them away...when just as in the Australian example; the ownership and use represented a negligible risk to the community, not zero....just in everything in life theres a risk.

Semi-auto rifles are used in so few deaths.... that the figure is, over the 300+Million population STASTICALLY -IN-SIGNIFICANT.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Jul 2016, 1:29 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:The type of firearm is irrelevant... it's the fact that the government, or more so a faction of the government want to take them away...when just as in the Australian example; the ownership and use represented a negligible risk to the community, not zero....just in everything in life theres a risk.

Semi-auto rifles are used in so few deaths.... that the figure is, over the 300+Million population STASTICALLY -IN-SIGNIFICANT.....

Would you believe it also, in the 4 years leading up to PAM: Number of deaths ao called 'Assault weapons/rifles': 0.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2016, 1:52 pm

My very first rifle was the 10/22 (a wonderful first rifle for anybody) when I was seventeen, by the time I was eighteen I owned 11 longarms, including several semi-auto's and an 8-shot pump shotgun.

I have no hankering for semi's or pumps nowadays, but I thoroughly enjoyed them when I was a youngster and I wouldn't take that opportunity away from future shooters.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by coloradoboy » 08 Jul 2016, 9:09 pm

great rifle. but nah when the shtf you want the ak-47. that will never let you down. the ak is extremely awesome at killing bad guys as well.

I have an ak. great rifle, you can drag itthough dirt and it will still kill when you want.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
coloradoboy
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Jul 2016, 10:25 am

I want a semi.... simply because our 'rulers' deny them from us.... and also because of the massive inequity in society, when the law enforcers publicly get around with AR15, both semi auto AND auto, MP5, 10,000+ handguns (just in Victoria) of 40S&W, many in 45ACP, pump and/or semiauto shotguns, sniper rifles

ALL at the ready to point at the civilians when they misbehave......

However the civilians who DO NOT 'misbehave' are not only denied the right to an equal 'fire power'.... but are even denied the right to ballistic protection, vests etc... why? of course they want the least 'resistance' should they wish to 'enforce' the laws....

Gee I'd love for one of the many police officers reading this to comment on why law abiding responsible members of the community can not own one of these;

anyhoo, I'd want an AR15...simply because there are so many parts and options, combinations.... an AR10 for firepower....a Barry82... just for fun, and to introduce friends to shooting :P

and a Maschinenpistole 40, and a Sturmgewehr.... I'll tick the semi-auto box for that one :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Firearms related media and politics