$2500 fine for loaded gun

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

$2500 fine for loaded gun

Post by happyhunter » 26 Jul 2016, 9:21 am

Magistrate Gwynn explained that she did not see imprisonment as the appropriate sentence due to Gatto's "different circumstances," particularly given police members advised him of threats to his safety.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/mick- ... qd2o5.html
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Re: $2500 fine for loaded gun

Post by Supaduke » 26 Jul 2016, 9:39 am

Funny story, I nearly had a car accident because of Mick Gatto being a flog. I was in Carlton and a big brand spankin Rolls Royce came around me while trying to turn right at the lights. I pulled up next to him at the next set of lights to have a word. I looked in and low and behold it's Mick f&@king Gatto. I wisely decided to drive on. (Does that make me a pussy?)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 26 Jul 2016, 9:44 am

Lucky your not columbian ( i hope ) supaduke or you'd probably be a statistic.

Thats complete bulls**t
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2016, 12:14 pm

Superduke, it seems obvious now that I read this that you do not own a cape. Other wise you would have jumped out of the car tackled Gatto to the ground and arrested him. Sorry just one of those days.............LOL

TBO I think its piss week of the judge to have not given him a prison sentence. A known criminal just got off the hook with what is to him a tiny fine for possessing a loaded firearm. (Probably a number of offences there) How many LAFOs have been fined similar amounts for minor offences such as forgetting to lock away a few shells or I heard of one bloke who forgot to lock up his 22LR when he got home after an outing on Saturday night, was inspected early sunday morning and lost all of his firearms which were worth a lot more that gattos fine.

Should sack the judge
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 26 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

its an effing joke , laws for some laws for others.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 26 Jul 2016, 7:38 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Superduke, it seems obvious now that I read this that you do not own a cape. Other wise you would have jumped out of the car tackled Gatto to the ground and arrested him. Sorry just one of those days.............LOL

TBO I think its piss week of the judge to have not given him a prison sentence. A known criminal just got off the hook with what is to him a tiny fine for possessing a loaded firearm. (Probably a number of offences there) How many LAFOs have been fined similar amounts for minor offences such as forgetting to lock away a few shells or I heard of one bloke who forgot to lock up his 22LR when he got home after an outing on Saturday night, was inspected early sunday morning and lost all of his firearms which were worth a lot more that gattos fine.

Should sack the judge

Lets take an open perspective. In some countries it is no big deal to keep a loaded gun in the house for self defense, or even to carry it on your person. If somebody has a good reason to believe they are being targeted in the way Mr. Gatto was as he was informed by the police, I can understand why he would keep a loaded gun handy even if it was against the law to do so. Appears the judge sees it the same way and believed the bloke's life was in actual danger.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 26 Jul 2016, 7:38 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Superduke, it seems obvious now that I read this that you do not own a cape. Other wise you would have jumped out of the car tackled Gatto to the ground and arrested him. Sorry just one of those days.............LOL

Should sack the judge

Lets take an open perspective. In some countries it is no big deal to keep a loaded gun in the house for self defense, or even to carry it on your person. If somebody has a good reason to believe they are being targeted in the way Mr. Gatto was as he was informed by the police, I can understand why he would keep a loaded gun handy even if it was against the law to do so. Appears the judge sees it the same way and believed the bloke's life was in actual danger.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2016, 7:56 pm

I view it this way.
I cant apply for a gun or licence on the basis of personal protection so why is is ok for a criminal?
Secondly it is now common knowledge if a criminal breaks firearm laws they just get a slap on the wrist. This encourages them to break into our houses and steal them and then perhaps use them.
My view is lockem up.

PS Might be differant for a kid with one or two minor convictios but not career criminal.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 26 Jul 2016, 8:13 pm

How do you know he is a career criminal? I wouldn't believe everything the media reports. There has been much exaggeration, specially after that stupid underbelly rubbish a few years back.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2016, 8:17 pm

happyhunter wrote:How do you know he is a career criminal? I wouldn't believe everything the media reports. There has been much exaggeration, specially after that stupid underbelly rubbish a few years back.

OK, fair comment, but IF he is a career crim that is my view.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by doc » 27 Jul 2016, 8:48 am

Oldbloke wrote:OK, fair comment, but IF he is a career crim he'd be in politics

Fixed it for you.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2016, 9:05 pm

:clap: :lol: :thumbsup: :lol: Well said, full points doc.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 27 Jul 2016, 10:52 pm

doc wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:OK, fair comment, but IF he is a career crim he'd be in politics

Fixed it for you.

hahaha.. he already is, just in a different way.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 Jul 2016, 11:42 am

So... The judge has basically said that personal defence is a valid reason for posessing a firearm, and therefore has minimized the penalty...

Wow.

Just wow.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 29 Jul 2016, 11:25 am

happyhunter wrote:How do you know he is a career criminal? I wouldn't believe everything the media reports. There has been much exaggeration, specially after that stupid underbelly rubbish a few years back.

very good point,,everyone has had at least one death threat made against them and had the cops warn them that their life was in danger :allegedly:

a bit strange that a lot of people that he knows go to jail or the dirt farm but lets not jump to conclusions :lol: :lol: :friends: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by doc » 29 Jul 2016, 12:17 pm

- Unregistered Firearm
- Unlicensed Person?
- Possession of a dangerous & prohibited (or at least controlled) weapon.
- Not stored within a safe hard to penetrate
- Stored Loaded
- What else...?

However, I can understand the whole 'fear for life' perspective and that needs to be considered. He didn't use it out of his house to commit a crime (that is known of) - unlike some 7-11 burgs, so I guess that's at least something. (The intent appears to be for self defense, and not attack).

I'd like to think that the same consideration or more would be given to the licensed owners when they have a slip up too such as a couple of shells that fall out and roll under the seat of a ute...
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by AusTac » 29 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm

doc wrote:
I'd like to think that the same consideration or more would be given to the licensed owners when they have a slip up too such as a couple of shells that fall out and roll under the seat of a ute...

Your kidding right? One loose round and kiss your license good bye
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Jul 2016, 12:27 pm

Mick fined $2,500, get into his MILLION dollar Rolls and drives away.... probably mostly annoyed at the inconvenience of attending court.

So Unregistered, Cat E firearm, unlicensed, prohibited? the books says 180,000 fine or 10yrs I believe....

But I guess the judge considered the list of his friends, enemies, acquaintances, business associates or those otherwise involved in his particular industry who are no longer 'with us'...

Greg Workman (1995)
Alphonse Gangitano (1998)
John Furlan (1998)
Charles Hegyalji (1998)
Vince Mannella (1999)
Damian Catania (1999)
Gerardo Mannella (1999)
Joseph Quadara (1999)
Francesco Benvenuto (2000)
"Mad" Richard Mladenich (2000)
Mark Moran (2000)
Dino Dibra (2000)
Victor Peirce (2002)
Paul Kallipolitis (2002)
Nik "The Russian" Radev (2003)
Jason Moran (2003)
Pasquale Barbaro (2003)
Willie Thompson (2003)
Mark Mallia (2003)
Michael Marshall (2003)
Housam Zayat (2003)
Graham "The Munster" Kinniburgh (2003)
Andrew "Benji" Veniamin (2004)
Lewis Moran (2004)
Terrence Hodson (2004)
Christine Hodson (2004)
Lewis Caine (2004)
Mario Condello (2006)
Des Moran (2009)
Carl Williams (2010)

But he's not a crim, his 18months locked up for killing Veniamin (his mate) in self defence was just in the course of getting off the charges....he's an honest hardworking 'business man' :roll:

With a rep for being a violent stand over figure, or as he puts it 'professional mediator'.....

Onya Mick
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 29 Jul 2016, 12:50 pm

I understand your frustration at seeing certain people get away with activity that would land ordinary citizens in jail. We have that here as well. In fact one such case is running as the Democratic candidate for President of the USA. Who by the way is making removing our gun rights a major part of her campaign.

We also have entertainers, athletes, and criminals getting away with crimes all the time. the governments' and regular populaces, tolerance for criminal acts seems to grow daily. As long as you either vote for the powers that be or do not hurt me seems to be the norm.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bluerob » 29 Jul 2016, 1:10 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Mick fined $2,500, get into his MILLION dollar Rolls and drives away.... probably mostly annoyed at the inconvenience of attending court.

So Unregistered, Cat E firearm, unlicensed, prohibited? the books says 180,000 fine or 10yrs I believe....

But I guess the judge considered the list of his friends, enemies, acquaintances, business associates or those otherwise involved in his particular industry who are no longer 'with us'...

Greg Workman (1995)
Alphonse Gangitano (1998)
John Furlan (1998)
Charles Hegyalji (1998)
Vince Mannella (1999)
Damian Catania (1999)
Gerardo Mannella (1999)
Joseph Quadara (1999)
Francesco Benvenuto (2000)
"Mad" Richard Mladenich (2000)
Mark Moran (2000)
Dino Dibra (2000)
Victor Peirce (2002)
Paul Kallipolitis (2002)
Nik "The Russian" Radev (2003)
Jason Moran (2003)
Pasquale Barbaro (2003)
Willie Thompson (2003)
Mark Mallia (2003)
Michael Marshall (2003)
Housam Zayat (2003)
Graham "The Munster" Kinniburgh (2003)
Andrew "Benji" Veniamin (2004)
Lewis Moran (2004)
Terrence Hodson (2004)
Christine Hodson (2004)
Lewis Caine (2004)
Mario Condello (2006)
Des Moran (2009)
Carl Williams (2010)

But he's not a crim, his 18months locked up for killing Veniamin (his mate) in self defence was just in the course of getting off the charges....he's an honest hardworking 'business man' :roll:

With a rep for being a violent stand over figure, or as he puts it 'professional mediator'.....

Onya Mick

Didn't he shoot his mate with the gun that he was going to be shot with, or........? :allegedly:
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Jul 2016, 1:31 pm

So it goes ....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2016, 2:57 pm

All this just indicates to me that the justice system needs a good overhaul.
Some citizens ( the poor ) get the book thrown at them and others ( the rich or powerful ) always get off the hook.

I wonder if the judge got a visitor one dark night prior to the day in court? Or an incentive in the bank account?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 29 Jul 2016, 9:17 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:So... The judge has basically said that personal defence is a valid reason for posessing a firearm, and therefore has minimized the penalty...

Wow.

Just wow.

Yeah, that's how it appears. No doubt the $2500 fine was only a fraction of the cost of legal representation. I think it's a good decision. Take away the prejudicial attitude towards the the defendant, you would hope that the same type of logic would apply to anybody.

So many people on this forum support the reason of self defense as a genuine reason for possessing a firearm yet some of those people complain when by way of leniency the law condones that exact idea because the individual involved has some notoriety.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2016, 10:59 pm

Happy Hunter. I think the main issue most have is that a known underworld heavy gets off with a slap on the wrist for what would land the rest of us in prison or at least be a financially crippling fine for most.

It isn't right.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Firearms related media and politics