$2500 fine for loaded gun

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: $2500 fine for loaded gun

Post by GLS_1956 » 29 Jul 2016, 12:50 pm

I understand your frustration at seeing certain people get away with activity that would land ordinary citizens in jail. We have that here as well. In fact one such case is running as the Democratic candidate for President of the USA. Who by the way is making removing our gun rights a major part of her campaign.

We also have entertainers, athletes, and criminals getting away with crimes all the time. the governments' and regular populaces, tolerance for criminal acts seems to grow daily. As long as you either vote for the powers that be or do not hurt me seems to be the norm.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bluerob » 29 Jul 2016, 1:10 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Mick fined $2,500, get into his MILLION dollar Rolls and drives away.... probably mostly annoyed at the inconvenience of attending court.

So Unregistered, Cat E firearm, unlicensed, prohibited? the books says 180,000 fine or 10yrs I believe....

But I guess the judge considered the list of his friends, enemies, acquaintances, business associates or those otherwise involved in his particular industry who are no longer 'with us'...

Greg Workman (1995)
Alphonse Gangitano (1998)
John Furlan (1998)
Charles Hegyalji (1998)
Vince Mannella (1999)
Damian Catania (1999)
Gerardo Mannella (1999)
Joseph Quadara (1999)
Francesco Benvenuto (2000)
"Mad" Richard Mladenich (2000)
Mark Moran (2000)
Dino Dibra (2000)
Victor Peirce (2002)
Paul Kallipolitis (2002)
Nik "The Russian" Radev (2003)
Jason Moran (2003)
Pasquale Barbaro (2003)
Willie Thompson (2003)
Mark Mallia (2003)
Michael Marshall (2003)
Housam Zayat (2003)
Graham "The Munster" Kinniburgh (2003)
Andrew "Benji" Veniamin (2004)
Lewis Moran (2004)
Terrence Hodson (2004)
Christine Hodson (2004)
Lewis Caine (2004)
Mario Condello (2006)
Des Moran (2009)
Carl Williams (2010)

But he's not a crim, his 18months locked up for killing Veniamin (his mate) in self defence was just in the course of getting off the charges....he's an honest hardworking 'business man' :roll:

With a rep for being a violent stand over figure, or as he puts it 'professional mediator'.....

Onya Mick

Didn't he shoot his mate with the gun that he was going to be shot with, or........? :allegedly:
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Jul 2016, 1:31 pm

So it goes ....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2016, 2:57 pm

All this just indicates to me that the justice system needs a good overhaul.
Some citizens ( the poor ) get the book thrown at them and others ( the rich or powerful ) always get off the hook.

I wonder if the judge got a visitor one dark night prior to the day in court? Or an incentive in the bank account?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 29 Jul 2016, 9:17 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:So... The judge has basically said that personal defence is a valid reason for posessing a firearm, and therefore has minimized the penalty...

Wow.

Just wow.

Yeah, that's how it appears. No doubt the $2500 fine was only a fraction of the cost of legal representation. I think it's a good decision. Take away the prejudicial attitude towards the the defendant, you would hope that the same type of logic would apply to anybody.

So many people on this forum support the reason of self defense as a genuine reason for possessing a firearm yet some of those people complain when by way of leniency the law condones that exact idea because the individual involved has some notoriety.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2016, 10:59 pm

Happy Hunter. I think the main issue most have is that a known underworld heavy gets off with a slap on the wrist for what would land the rest of us in prison or at least be a financially crippling fine for most.

It isn't right.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Firearms related media and politics