What does "category b OR the following weapon" mean?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

What does "category b OR the following weapon" mean?

Post by bigtone » 20 Aug 2016, 2:07 pm

At the top of a watermarked government document called a permit to acquire are the words "this permit authorises...............being the holder of licence no..............to acquire one firearm/weapon of Category B OR the following weapon;....................."

So what does that actually mean according to the weapons act and the weapons regulation? Please note that the "OR" is actually in capitals and bold type.
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: What does this mean?

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2016, 3:06 pm

bigtone wrote:At the top of a watermarked government document called a permit to acquire are the words "this permit authorises...............being the holder of licence no..............to acquire one firearm/weapon of Category B OR the following weapon;....................."

So what does that actually mean according to the weapons act and the weapons regulation? Please note that the "OR" is actually in capitals and bold type.

I would guess it is to give you the option of choosing any Cat B firearm, or giving the details of the specific firearm you're buying.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 20 Aug 2016, 3:08 pm

In any state other than Queensland maybe you might be right.
Most Queenslanders haven't even read that part of a PTA .
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2016, 7:33 pm

bigtone wrote:In any state other than Queensland maybe you might be right.

Not sure what you mean, I'm just reading it in English as it's written :-)
I seems to me that generally you would simply accept the form with nothing more than name and licence number.
But, it has the option if you have already lined up a purchase to include those specific details.
Can't see any reason to opt for the latter even if you have got a specific in mind, unless perhaps it saves some time in processing the application?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 20 Aug 2016, 7:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I seems to me that generally you would simply accept the form with nothing more than name and licence number.
But, it has the option if you have already lined up a purchase to include those specific details.
Can't see any reason to opt for the latter even if you have got a specific in mind, unless perhaps it saves some time in processing the application?

Well....... If you take that legal document to a Qld firearms dealer and ask for a cat b weapon which is not the weapon described on the form you will discover the wide rangimg control that officer CB from weapons licensing has verbally inflicted upon our dealers. They will not honour that official watermarked document because of the threats made by a pig out of control! Try it for yourself and see what reaction you get.
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2016, 7:58 pm

bigtone wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Well....... If you take that legal document to a Qld firearms dealer and ask for a cat b weapon which is not the weapon described on the form you will discover the wide rangimg control that officer CB from weapons licensing has verbally inflicted upon our dealers. They will not honour that official watermarked document because of the threats made by a pig out of control! Try it for yourself and see what reaction you get.

Hmmm...yes, that makes sense, if you choose to list details of a specific firearm then that's the only firearm it authorises.
Do you mean that Police are _requiring_ you put down specific details and not allowing the first choice?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2016, 8:13 pm

After discussing it with my girlfriend I think I can see where you're coming from now.
It depends on whether the OR is inclusive or exclusive.
But I can't see the form without filling out a page of information first.
Would you have a screenshot perhaps?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 20 Aug 2016, 8:59 pm

Yes . In Qld you are required to tell them what calibre, action and category of the weapon you intend to acquire. You are also required to nominate a dealer. If you change your mind about the calibre then the form allows you to change that to anything in the same category but officer CB has decided without legislation to deny that right.
Last edited by bigtone on 21 Aug 2016, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

Since it doesn't say anything about striking out any that don't apply I agree that it is an inclusive "or" that allows you to do either of those things. But maybe it's been defined somewhere else as an exclusive "or"?
Does it say if the application is to be filled out by the applicant or a Police officer?
The way it reads it appears to be filled out by Police, in which case I guess they are the ones making the choice rather than the applicant, but they should still strike out the first choice if they're not allowing it.

Does anybody ever apply for a permit without already having found a firearm they want?
Here in Victoria it's my understanding that you can't even put in a PtA on a firearm you haven't already bought.
The only thing optional on our PtA is the serial number, you have to list all the other details of the specific firearm you're applying for.
Attachments
PtA.JPG
PtA.JPG (56.69 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 20 Aug 2016, 9:26 pm

We usually decide on a calibre and a dealer and then apply for the PTA. I had to blank out almost everything on that PTA because the pigs could identify me from even just the calibre. It comes pre printed in all the spots I have blanked out. The dealer fills in the rest.
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by doc » 21 Aug 2016, 2:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:Here in Victoria it's my understanding that you can't even put in a PtA on a firearm you haven't already bought.

Just wondering where you've gotten that information from?

I ask, as I know of at least one person who's put in for a PTA, and due to changing circumstances ended up discarding that PTA and getting a different once done for a different firearm. They hadn't purchased the firearms until after the PTA arrived.

An electronic PTA in Vic I believe requires a serial number, but even the PTA that returns doesn't contain the serial number entered, thus allowing you to purchase any gun of that make, model and caliber.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2016, 3:32 pm

doc wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Here in Victoria it's my understanding that you can't even put in a PtA on a firearm you haven't already bought.

Just wondering where you've gotten that information from?

I ask, as I know of at least one person who's put in for a PTA, and due to changing circumstances ended up discarding that PTA and getting a different once done for a different firearm. They hadn't purchased the firearms until after the PTA arrived.

An electronic PTA in Vic I believe requires a serial number, but even the PTA that returns doesn't contain the serial number entered, thus allowing you to purchase any gun of that make, model and caliber.

As I said, it's just my understanding of it, I don't know if it's law. And as I posted earlier, without the serial number being required the permit does indeed allow you to choose from several of the _same_ rifles.
I guess if I ordered a rifle in I could put in a PtA right away, and then if the rifle doesn't show up I'd bin the PtA, but I still would've paid for the rifle before expecting my dealer to order it. With every rifle I've had sent down from elsewhere I've always paid for them before they've been sent. When the rifle arrives at my dealer in the morning, he puts through the PtA which is approved within just a few hours, and I go into town to pick it up that same day. I can't imagine why I might want to do a PtA before buying the rifle but I guess some people could do it that way.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Aug 2016, 5:59 pm

No way I'm handing over cash until I have PTA in hand...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Rakk » 29 Sep 2016, 1:56 pm

Just be thankful you're not in WA.

I think it's $180 for the application there. That's "application" not "approve permit".

If you're knocked back $180 gone.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: What does "category b OR the following weapon" mean?

Post by Gun-nut » 14 Oct 2016, 4:57 pm

PTA's are a pain in the arse, and must go!
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Spudman75 » 14 Oct 2016, 6:11 pm

Rakk wrote:Just be thankful you're not in WA.

I think it's $180 for the application there. That's "application" not "approve permit".

If you're knocked back $180 gone.

In SA we must supply model, calibre AND the serial number... so if you get knocked back you essentially have a firearm that you have already paid for in full that you now must get the dealer to sell. It is a totally corrupt system. I am happy enough to register, but only after I have it in my hands. The whole PTA process is like asking mommy and daddy if you can have an ice cream where you have already paid for it with your pocket money in advance.
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 14 Oct 2016, 6:13 pm

So glad I'm in VIC! Never even seen a PTA :/
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 7:32 pm

juststarting wrote:So glad I'm in VIC! Never even seen a PTA :/

Me either.
Spotted two rifles in the shop today, handed over the money and brought them home with me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Oct 2016, 4:27 am

G'day bladeracer,
The only fixed point on your Cat B PTA is the caliber. You can chop and change make and model, but must stick with the caliber. For this reason, if you have decided to buy, for example, a 25-06, you apply for the PTA and list Ruger 77 then go shopping and buy a Remington 788. Another reason to "pre-order" PTA's is gun shows and auctions. I often apply for up to 10 of the beggars, but don't pay the fee. If I find something, all that's needed is to hit the bank on Monday, pay for the appropriate PTA, and pick up my new toy. Handguns are another kettle of fish, you must specify a serial number to get the PTA.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics