Rumours of a buy back?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Rumours of a buy back?

Post by AusTac » 14 Sep 2016, 10:10 am

Opinions?

Has anyone heard what they are actually going after? Be it action caliber rifle handgun?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Rumours of a buy back?

Post by Supaduke » 14 Sep 2016, 10:27 am

I did nearly choke on my weetbix this morning when the radio news described it as "a voluntary buyback amnesty, the same as what occurred in 1996"

I don't recall volunteering..... I recall a letter threatening me with jail
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Sep 2016, 10:56 am

Supaduke wrote:I did nearly choke on my weetbix this morning when the radio news described it as "a voluntary buyback amnesty, the same as what occurred in 1996"

I don't recall volunteering..... I recall a letter threatening me with jail

Spot on and a few shooters will dig out the old .22 single shot from the shed, you know, the 1950 model that grand dad used for shooting rats AND hand it in and go and get a nice new shinny 12g Alder lever action! BUT not 1 crim. will hand in any of their weapons. Waste of time, money and resources.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Sep 2016, 10:59 am

Quick google search and the only news articles on it are from the age, apparently the third piece from a three day 'investigative' item.

Sounds like a couple of reporters trying to peddle their rubbish as news.

The scary part, though, is they have pollies giving them quotes. At least the mexican opposition is against the idea and talking common sense, that it should be crims and not lafos targeted.

Edit: i searched google, not ebay
Last edited by sandgroperbill on 14 Sep 2016, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Sep 2016, 11:04 am

I dunno. Crims might hand in single shots that are virtually worthless to them to get something for them, single shots, etc, then spend the money on the black market.

Then, there's always that distinct possibility that firearms handed in for destruction get pulled from the crusher and find their way onto the black market.

I know, I know, it's never happened before... :sarcasm:
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by nooman » 14 Sep 2016, 11:09 am

I thought it was just going to be an amnesty, no buy back. Not sure what they aim to achieve with it :\
nooman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Sep 2016, 11:38 am

No buy back..... 'Amnesty' targeting the crooks.. I'm wondering whyTF are the feds announcing this??

Keenan was questioned as to the incentive for participating.... ie. WHY would a crim hand in his AK47 which is the objective apparently in response the the Vic SHOOTING / CRIME wave (rapidly reciprocating vertical closed hand motion)

What a joke.
Crims will voluntarily hand in their shooters.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 14 Sep 2016, 11:39 am

I thought Victoria has a permanent amnesty anyway?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Sep 2016, 1:01 pm

earlier on 3AW, if you can hold yourself together listening to Mitchel <<who is involved with AMF>> he's definite anti material...."I'm all in favour......reduce the number legal or illegal...." :thumbsdown:

Gun amnesty and Jeff Bournman on AW, listen here
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Supaduke » 14 Sep 2016, 1:45 pm

I always laugh at the old line the media pushes about "guns are easy to obtain on the black market". I beg to differ. Any decent quality black market firearm costs a lot of money. Nor are they on sold to just anyone. Maybe ratty old single shot .22's and busted up single shot shotties but a decent semi auto pistol or rifle is not easy to obtain.

I tested blokes out in my younger days whenever the claim of easy access to firearms was spouted. Ok then, get me one. Not one was ever produced, ever.

I'm not saying they can't be obtained, just not nearly as easily as made out.

On the rare occasion I have seen illegal firearms they are treasured and the owners very secretive about them. The thought they would sell said item to some random clown with cash in his hand is laughable.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Sep 2016, 2:39 pm

Every year we have anmesty in South Australia, there was talk of making the anmesty permanent rather than annual.

Im a little surprised it's being made to be such a big deal.
I guess it makes the police look like they are doing something.

With decent semi auto rifles fetch around
$20 000 and semi auto pistols going for the $5000 mark, I can hear the criminals starting to stampede towards the gun dealerships and cop shops eager to hand them over.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by nooman » 14 Sep 2016, 3:38 pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa ... c3be69654c

"Mr Keenan said the amnesty was aimed at reducing the number of guns in the “illegal and grey market”.

“Some of that will be somebody who might have grandpa’s old gun in the back shed that wasn’t registered that we want handed in,” he said.

But the Justice Minister did not explain how the government would entice criminals to hand in their illegal firearms."

"Mr Keenan stressed that the amnesty was not a buyback"

So they want criminals to hand in their guns but don't want to give them money for it and they expect the number of guns to be handed in in the thousands...this amnesty has already failed
nooman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 14 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

Supaduke wrote:I always laugh at the old line the media pushes about "guns are easy to obtain on the black market". I beg to differ. Any decent quality black market firearm costs a lot of money. Nor are they on sold to just anyone. Maybe ratty old single shot .22's and busted up single shot shotties but a decent semi auto pistol or rifle is not easy to obtain.

Pigs backside, it's raining glocks.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Sep 2016, 4:56 pm

it was reported at the big failed greens anti-gun fest (senate hearing) that pistols were thousands $5k was it ???
Then it was reported that we are awash with them and the price is around 1k.....

What is true is that this is the realm of fantasy, how many, how much.... fact is there are probably half a million SKs out there from pre 96... then add to that countless containers pouring through our rock solid tight-as borders :roll:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by tom604 » 14 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm

an amnesty is a good idea,get rid some of the old .22's ect that some people may have in the back shed :thumbsup: you may get lucky and get a few from the crims but i wouldn't hold my breath :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 14 Sep 2016, 6:56 pm

I've been in the transport game a long time. The original source of things falling off trucks. Also had a lot to do with docks, containers in and out.

Countless containers? , Raining glocks? Honestly you guys are talking out of your rectums. Your know it all attitudes and assumptions that the rest of us dont know jack sh1t is patronising at best. I respect the fact you guys have a differing point of view but FFS no need to be so bloody belligerent. My opinion is based on experience with some of the dodgiest people that roam these streets. Truckies....

For 11 years my brother-in-law was president of an Outlaws motorcycle club chapter. More dodginess (although most bikies are just lost boys and not bad blokes)

Reasonable quality firearms are NOT easy to come by. People that do have them from pre-96 don't just sell them to any clown. I have heard big noters spout it a million times about having access but never see the proof. Real crims don't talk it up.

P.s HH, my offer remains the same, get me one.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 14 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm

lost boys? maybe the old ones,the new ones are just flogs :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Sep 2016, 10:20 pm

Nope no buy back as such has been mentioned just hand em in if ya don't want em anymore :thumbsup: The smart people will take them to a firearms shop and sell them I would imagine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Sep 2016, 10:34 pm

tom604 wrote:lost boys? maybe the old ones,the new ones are just flogs :unknown:

I agree.

Anyonewho wants to be a gang member is a total dropkick.
Joining a gang is for someone who can't stand on their own two feet.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 14 Sep 2016, 11:10 pm

tom604 wrote:lost boys? maybe the old ones,the new ones are just flogs :unknown:

Yep, a lot of them are. A lot of them maintain an overly aggressive persona which can be frustrating when trying to talk to them. A lot of them are just social outcasts looking for some sort of belonging. It's an interesting study of the human condition. You get the thought when talking to a lot of them "ok you're tough , enough already , I get it" most of them are fairly normal dudes
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by adam » 16 Sep 2016, 9:52 am

I think a gun amnesty is a good idea. What I didn't understand is why it's not permanent. I would have thought that the government would want to encourage anyone who has possession of an unregistered firearm who wants to get rid of it to hand it in.

I agree that the vast majority of criminals are unlikely to hand back illegal firearms in the first place and it will have little impact on crime, but it makes sense for situations like Jnr cleaning up the shed after his father has passed away and finds an unregistered firearm that's fallen down the back behind some cupboard, etc to be able to feel free to hand it into police without concerns about what might happen if he does.

But I'm beginning to wonder if the reason for not making it permanent may be so the government can look good every time they bring one out for a while - as though they're "doing something" from a media perspective about gun crime. It's not really effective, but makes the uneducated think as though they're doing good - just playing politics?

And if it's a cross between two ineffective options - either having temporary amnesties every now and then to give the image as though they're doing something, vs a compulsory buy back (or confiscation) of legal owners for the same political image - I'll take the amnesty. :)
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 16 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm

adam wrote:I think a gun amnesty is a good idea. What I didn't understand is why it's not permanent. I would have thought that the government would want to encourage anyone who has possession of an unregistered firearm who wants to get rid of it to hand it in.

I agree that the vast majority of criminals are unlikely to hand back illegal firearms in the first place and it will have little impact on crime, but it makes sense for situations like Jnr cleaning up the shed after his father has passed away and finds an unregistered firearm that's fallen down the back behind some cupboard, etc to be able to feel free to hand it into police without concerns about what might happen if he does.

The police ballistic test every gun they get to try and link it to other crimes, they oppose the amnesties because if the gun has been used in a crime they cannot prosecute if it was handed in during an amnesty.

There is a provision in the firearms act for executors of deceased estates to deal with firearms so if a deceased person has guns the executor can legally deal with them without needing a firearms license.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 16 Sep 2016, 12:37 pm

...but it makes sense for situations like Jnr cleaning up the shed after his father has passed away and finds an unregistered firearm that's fallen down the back behind some cupboard, etc to be able to feel free to hand it into police without concerns about what might happen if he does.

That is already the status quo. Jnr finds uncle's old shotgun, takes it to his local gun dealer, the gun dealer calls registry on the phone and provides the serial number, registry designates it an "amnesty" gun, Jnr puts n a PTA and comes back in a few days to the LGS to pick up his legally registered and owned firearm.

Having gone through this process twice I recommend handing any amnesty gun to your gun dealer and NOT the police.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by adam » 16 Sep 2016, 2:55 pm

It looks like I had the wrong understanding of a number of things. Thanks for the information.

I had no idea that an amnesty mean that they could not prosecute for prior offenses with that firearm.

Also thanks for the update on the details regarding deceased estate. I'm assuming this includes unregistered / illegal firearms?

If all the above is real, then am I correct in assuming that a amnesty doesn't appear to serve much more real purpose other than a political stunt? If it's just a stunt, I still prefer that over Howards political stunt though!
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Sep 2016, 3:57 pm

Could not prosecute??
Absolutely not. If they ever link you to a firearm you're gone... Its the anonymity... drop it off, walk away.

Do you really think a crim is going to hand in his favourite 9mm that he/she had shot 3 guy dead with THEN leave his contact details?? :lol:

dont think so.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 16 Sep 2016, 4:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:

Yep, a lot of them are. A lot of them maintain an overly aggressive persona which can be frustrating when trying to talk to them. A lot of them are just social outcasts looking for some sort of belonging. It's an interesting study of the human condition. You get the thought when talking to a lot of them "ok you're tough , enough already , I get it" most of them are fairly normal dudes

Interesting you get that impression when talking to 'them'. When I was working in a motorcycle engineering shop we did a lot of custom work for blokes who were motorcycle club gang members and they never came across as anything but polite and grateful for a job well done. In fact, they are very handy people to know.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 16 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm

happyhunter wrote:
Supaduke wrote:

Interesting you get that impression when talking to 'them'. When I was working in a motorcycle engineering shop we did a lot of custom work for blokes who were motorcycle club gang members and they never came across as anything but polite and grateful for a job well done. In fact, they are very handy people to know.

Like I said, most of them are pretty normal dudes, not the scary monsters portrayed by the media.

Yep I probably said 'them' a few too many times.
They do refer to themselves as 1%'ers for a reason though. They don't consider themselves part of society.

I also found it odd that they shun and have disdain for the law, that it encroaches on their freedom. Yet subjected themselves to their own very stringent laws and codes of conduct.

Bikies sure know how to party though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics