National Firearms Agreement

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: NFA

Post by Cryptic » 29 Sep 2016, 6:18 pm

Just got this emailed
Gun World would like to thank Hon Bill Byrne, Police Minister (QLD) for arranging the QLD Firearms Consultation Forum. A number of key issues affecting stakeholders were discussed including the NFA and other issues affecting the LAFO community.

Key points to come out of the forum were:

No compulsory buyback of firearms in QLD!!
No changes to current categorization of firearms due to appearance!!
Changes to Domestic Violence legislation will include temporary revocation of a firearms license if a police protection notice is issued, until such time the matter is brought before a judge. If the temporary order is not upheld once brought before a judge, licenses will be immediately reinstated.
Police cannot process brokerage due to a 'proposed dealer strike' if a dealer is located within 100km of a police station (precludes majority of metropolitan stations! )
Issues relating to what other changes the NFA will include have not been agreed to between any of the states. Until such time as these are discussed at COAG, what such changes would potentially look like are unknown. There is a belief is that there is no such appetite for any drastic changes.

Gun World will be there representing the shooters of Queensland in the next meeting! Should there be any critical issues that the shooting community would like raised, please email info@gunworld.com.au .
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 29 Sep 2016, 6:57 pm

Good news I say.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 29 Sep 2016, 9:35 pm

Cryptic wrote:Just got this emailed

Changes to Domestic Violence legislation will include temporary revocation of a firearms license if a police protection notice is issued, until such time the matter is brought before a judge. If the temporary order is not upheld once brought before a judge, licenses will be immediately reinstated.

I don't mind this, a lot of violence happens between couples and taking the firearms out of the mix might actually save a decent amount of lives, I think a few people might get caught up in it but overall it would be a change I would support objectively I think.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sydor » 29 Sep 2016, 10:04 pm

Cryptic wrote:Just got this emailed
Gun World would like to thank Hon Bill Byrne, Police Minister (QLD) for arranging the QLD Firearms Consultation Forum.
No compulsory buyback of firearms in QLD!!
No changes to current categorization of firearms due to appearance!!
Changes to Domestic Violence legislation will include temporary revocation of a firearms license if a police protection
Gun World will be there representing the shooters of Queensland in the next meeting! Should there be any critical issues that the shooting community would like raised, please email info@gunworld.com.au .

:drinks:
Thanks Mate! Good news and I hope we would have something like Gun World in Victoria.
Sydor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by doc » 30 Sep 2016, 11:57 am

Thanks Cryptic. This is good news! Hopefully there are enough key people involved that are really interested in the real problems and how to go about addressing them than just hurting farmers and law abiding citizens more.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by deadkitty » 01 Oct 2016, 7:20 pm

Gwion wrote:Not alienating the general public by calling anyone who slightly disagrees with a certain perspective a "latte sipping, tree hugging, ignorant city dwelling greenie oxygen thief" would be a start.

Convincing the general public that the pressure on our freedoms is pressure on their freedoms through thoughtful and intelligent dialogue and pointing out the falsehoods directed at the shooting public might; just might; get some more mainstream polis with a sense of decency to support shooters' rights and oppose restrictive bills when they come through parliament.

Couldn't have said it any better , thank you
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jandamurra » 07 Oct 2016, 2:25 pm

I've heard talk of another buyback, despite the government saying there wouldn't be any more after the 2003 one for handguns.
Possibly this is just a garbled version of stories like this-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-14/i ... ty/7843608 .
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by doc » 07 Oct 2016, 2:41 pm

Jandamurra wrote:despite the government saying there wouldn't be any more

Doesn't matter what the topic is - that phrase alone would probably have most people being skeptical at the least. A sad situation where we straight out can't take our own elected government at their word anymore. Broken promises seem to be the norm.

But I've been pleasantly surprised by the government on a few occasions - fingers crossed that this is just a chinese whisper that's gone from the amnesty to something unrelated.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Jandamurra » 13 Oct 2016, 3:41 pm

doc wrote:
Jandamurra wrote:despite the government saying there wouldn't be any more

Doesn't matter what the topic is - that phrase alone would probably have most people being skeptical at the least. A sad situation where we straight out can't take our own elected government at their word anymore. Broken promises seem to be the norm.

But I've been pleasantly surprised by the government on a few occasions - fingers crossed that this is just a chinese whisper that's gone from the amnesty to something unrelated.

I would actually welcome a buyback.
There are other things I would welcome far more-such as the repeal of all laws pertaining to civilian weapons passed this century and last everywhere in Australia-but another buyback would be rather good, too.
Another buyback would-
1) Show the government to be publically eating crow when they said there wouldn't be one.
2) Ditto about their claims that the first national buyback removed the need to ever do it again by reducing crime and violence.
3) Cost a bloody fortune. This could get politicians and others to start talking about various expense associated with the NFA, such as registries.. In all the lead-up to any buyback, there'd be a lot of talk about not being able to justify it [see 2)].
4) If only a minority of guns were surrendered or registered back in '97, what makes the government think they'll land most of the unregistered guns in another buyback?
Perhaps the best thing would be for another national buyback to be proposed and then for it to be shot down. But if it goes ahead, they'll get relatively little at great expense just like in 1997 and end up with even more egg of their face.
The blow
But as I said, it was only something I heard.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by dpskipper » 13 Oct 2016, 4:10 pm

I agree another buy-back might kickstart some talk in the media/gov on "why exactly do we need another buyback" but I really doubt it. The media would just hail it as another pro-active crime reducing action by our lord and savior Malcolm Turnbul. Any mention of the flip side of the coin would be quickly stifled.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics