John Howard saved thousands of lives since '96?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

John Howard saved thousands of lives since '96?

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2016, 11:18 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 34534028a0

According to these morons thousands of Aussies would've been killed by legally-owned firearms if it weren't for Howard's anti-gun paranoia, so University of Sydney are giving him a Doctorate!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: John Howard saved thousands of lives since '96?

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 29 Sep 2016, 11:32 pm

People are really strange, they idolize some really stupid people for really stupid reasons.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 30 Sep 2016, 12:07 am

the man's a hero :sarcasm: :thumbsdown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Sep 2016, 12:22 am

Wrote something quite long and provocative here, but decided to replace it witha simple instruction.

Google philip alpers.

'Nuff said
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 30 Sep 2016, 5:03 am

Honorary degrees are an insult to those who actually earn them . ...

As far as saving lives - pure fantasy in fact the gun laws cost more lives by delaying the established downward trend in gun deaths . .
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 30 Sep 2016, 8:13 am

Who's life did he save in Iraq?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 30 Sep 2016, 11:05 am

happyhunter wrote:Who's life did he save in Iraq?

He's such a coque spank.... he takes the honour for the 96 PAM laws, (the only Federal laws related to buyback compensation, as far as I'm aware)... he's saved so many people :roll: All he saved was countless leftist media appointments praising himself, while we pay for him to jaunt around the world.

But does he take personal responsibility for sending our troops on the pointless futile Afghan 'expedition' that cost TOO MANY Aussie lives??, just 1 would be too many, but it was 40odd... I bet that one was Parliament, the people, their will or some crap, and certainly NOT him....

Iraq, Syria, same BS send us where we shouldnt go.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by doc » 30 Sep 2016, 11:54 am

bladeracer wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-university-academics-furious-about-honorary-doctorate-for-former-prime-minister-john-howard/news-story/e5154a6bc1b04cf17cfc3f34534028a0

According to these morons thousands of Aussies would've been killed by legally-owned firearms if it weren't for Howard's anti-gun paranoia, so University of Sydney are giving him a Doctorate!

Why not. They gave Obama the Noble Peace Prize. The left don't require anything of real value to reward - just someone who sides with their ideologies that's a public figure. I'm surprised that Howard only get's a doctorate.

What this really does is devalues the credibility and standards of the rest of the doctorates handed out by the university of Sydney, and completely exposes how low their bar is when it comes to valuing real facts within their studies.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Sep 2016, 6:14 pm

What, saved lives??

The Australian suicide rates have hit a new 10 year high with the number climbing to above 3,000 in 2015! This is the first time this figure has been reached AND rising more than 5% in 12 months.

(Source Gold Coast Bulletin, Thursday, 29th Sept. P. 02)

This is 57 per week or 8 people per day!

I'm just really over this bulls**t about John Howard, the great Savour who turned up to a meeting of law abiding citizens wearing a bullet proof vest Shame!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2016, 6:22 pm

RoginaJack wrote:What, saved lives??

The Australian suicide rates have hit a new 10 year high with the number climbing to above 3,000 in 2015! This is the first time this figure has been reached AND rising more than 5% in 12 months

You're blaming JWH for this ?

I blame him for stupid getting more STUPID !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 30 Sep 2016, 7:01 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:What, saved lives??

The Australian suicide rates have hit a new 10 year high with the number climbing to above 3,000 in 2015! This is the first time this figure has been reached AND rising more than 5% in 12 months

You're blaming JWH for this ?

I blame him for stupid getting more STUPID !

He's indirectly responsible if you consider for 11 years his government pulled money from social support systems including mental health.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2016, 7:06 pm

Some would wish the root cause of suicide, to be as simple as that.

And, who should be held responsible for suicides due to: bank foreclosures, jilted lovers, drug affected souls, mental illness ?

Seriously, such simplistic views are worthless / very telling, in blaming Howard for anything /everything.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 30 Sep 2016, 7:14 pm

With today's prevalence of personality disorders it wouldn't take much for some people to make the choice to top themself. Losing their job, debt, hard time at the dole office would be enough for somebody that was already depressed or borderline. Plenty of blokes do it after a break up and lose custody of their kids.

Howard was a pr1ck so may as well blame him.. lol
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Sam45 » 30 Sep 2016, 7:18 pm

John Howard was a complete coward standing up on his pedestal with a vest underneath his suit. He did what he did to further his career. Nothing more, nothing less. The man is a parasite.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2016, 7:35 pm

Sam45 wrote:John Howard was a complete coward standing up on his pedestal with a vest underneath his suit. He did what he did to further his career. Nothing more, nothing less. The man is a parasite.

He did what he thought best.

"further his career " ???

You surely jest ( or have an axe to grind, or worse )

He is a man of principle.

A coward .....or just plain wise / smart ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Sep 2016, 7:37 pm

Wank.jpg
Wank.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 5317 times

No need to add to the above. Its self explanitory.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2016, 7:40 pm

Another vote for Donald Trump....

Oldbloke, you're the redneck Howard was afraid of.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2016, 8:51 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:He did what he thought best.

"further his career " ???

You surely jest ( or have an axe to grind, or worse )

He is a man of principle.

A coward .....or just plain wise / smart ?

He did what he thought best for his own personal paranoia, nothing to do with what was best for Australians.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Sep 2016, 9:14 pm

Mr Winchester - I'm not blaming JWH for the shocking suicide rate but he has claimed that the gun buyback has saved many lives but where?
There are many others that have also claimed that the gun buyback has saved lives and reduced crime. For example Mr Roland Browne from Gun Control Australia (GCA) claims that the reforms to the gun laws saw a dramatic decrease in suicide rates and gun deaths rates across Australia. He also claims the gun laws saw a reduction in violence in the home and a reduction in assaults with guns.
See - http://ssaa.org.au/news-resources/resea ... ate-timing
The Statistics just don't support these claims.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Sep 2016, 9:19 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Another vote for Donald Trump....

Oldbloke, you're the redneck Howard was afraid of.

I vote for a revolution. We wont need our firearms. Just build a guillotine.

Guillotine.jpg
Guillotine.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 30 Sep 2016, 9:44 pm

Of course he saved lives.

Countless thousands of feral cats, foxes and rabbits!
How much did it cost the economy, both the buybacks and the damage by uncontrolled pests.

Any comments about suicide rates should be ignored unless they also admit the increases due to legalised gambling. Better heighten the fence on Melbourne's west gate bridge further. (so popular as a suicide point the media is not allowed to cover the story in fear it would increase the number of jumpers further, good thing Australia has no freedom of the press laws)
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 30 Sep 2016, 10:07 pm

"How much did it cost the economy, both the buybacks and the damage by uncontrolled pests."

Scumbags tried to subsidise the buyback with the planned resale of mine :wtf: , well until I jumped the counter and used their f/n crusher myself.. A painful protest :( ..

I'll cock my leg on his grave for that one.... :!:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2016, 11:23 pm

If his goal had genuinely been to remove unlicenced firearms from the community he would have simply allowed handed in legal firearms to be sold back into the legal firearms community and recouped at least some of the cost of the buy back.
He had only two goals, and both were to appease his personal unfounded phobia and hatred of inanimate objects, regardless of whether they had ever or would ever have been used in violent crime. The first was to publicly destroy a huge number of firearms to boost his ego. The second was to build a system that would legally allow mass discrimination against any Australian that had any interest in firearms and shooting based on the falsehood he created that licenced firearms owners are evil and criminal and immoral.
As the prime minister of a country he should've been standing behind legal firearms owners against such unfounded discrimination, not creating it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 01 Oct 2016, 12:49 am

How many people think J Howard had anything to do with the controlling laws that were introduced after port Arthur, he may have implemented them but the time frame was to quick someone had the thing written out and stashed waiting for an excuse .Howard I never liked as a PM the last Good liberal pm was Gorton and he was National party.
As for Howard gun laws saving lives (funny i typed lies there) history will judge him. My own opinion it will show him as a fool at least at worst a war criminal that led this country to make the same mistakes as Blair and Bush .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2016, 1:47 am

pomemax wrote:How many people think J Howard had anything to do with the controlling laws that were introduced after port Arthur, he may have implemented them but the time frame was to quick someone had the thing written out and stashed waiting for an excuse .Howard I never liked as a PM the last Good liberal pm was Gorton and he was National party.
As for Howard gun laws saving lives (funny i typed lies there) history will judge him. My own opinion it will show him as a fool at least at worst a war criminal that led this country to make the same mistakes as Blair and Bush .

I think they started pushing to disarm Australians in the mid-sixties. Maybe driven by suddenly finding Aussies standing up against the government sending troops to Vietnam?
But I think Howard has such a strong personal hatred of firearms and firearm owners that he was just the first one willing to throw hundreds of millions of taxpayer's dollars away on a folly that achieved nothing tangible at all. It did do a terrific job of driving a huge wedge between firearms owners and non-firearms owners though, which I'm quite sure he's far more proud of.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Oct 2016, 8:58 am

pomemax wrote:How many people think J Howard had anything to do with the controlling laws that were introduced after port Arthur, he may have implemented them but the time frame was to quick someone had the thing written out and stashed waiting for an excuse .Howard I never liked as a PM the last Good liberal pm was Gorton and he was National party.

Johnnie 'came to power' in March 1996, PAM followed quickly on 28 April.... the laws were NOT his doing, his was just the name at the top, at the time...

We've covered ad nauseam about the development of the gun control wish list that was development by bureaucrats, certainly by 1991 (refer cabinet FOI docs) , and translated into state laws in 96.....

We've actually had gun laws since 1897 when punt guns were controlled, the later 'Pea rifles' were controlled so minors couldnt use them (as much), then handgun laws in the 1920 (IIRC) so a century after handgun controls we're being told illegal handguns are out of control in Vic - so much for that experiment...
Shotguns (and airguns) were not even defined as firearms until the 70's!! (Hence the streets ran red with blood until then.... oh they didnt.....)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm

Rumour has it that the Gun Laws adopted by Howard was in fact "borrowed" from the Labour Party. This may explain how the laws were enacted so quick and not opposed or challenged by the Labour Party.
despite what JWH claims, the currant Gun laws have not stopped one drive by shooting, armed robbery or any other gun crime or taken any unlicensed weapon of the streets.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Oct 2016, 12:25 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Rumour has it that the Gun Laws adopted by Howard was in fact "borrowed" from the Labour Party. This may explain how the laws were enacted so quick and not opposed or challenged by the Labour Party.
despite what JWH claims, the currant Gun laws have not stopped one drive by shooting, armed robbery or any other gun crime or taken any unlicensed weapon of the streets.

More a reality than a rumour; the Labs were in power from 1983 to 1996, during which time the laws were construed, but blaming either wouldnt be correct as such matters of gun controls always have 'bi-partisan' support.... They both want it, historically though the reds are obviously more inclined to 'disarm the proles'..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Oct 2016, 10:36 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:historically though the reds are obviously more inclined to 'disarm the proles'..

Utter bullshyte.....

Look out! There's a RED under the BED!

Get out of 1957, Gen and look at real history.

Both moderate AND totalitarian regimes from both the left AND the right of politics have put restrictions on civilian weaponry throughout history.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 02 Oct 2016, 2:54 pm

Gwion wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:historically though the reds are obviously more inclined to 'disarm the proles'..

Utter bullshyte.....

Look out! There's a RED under the BED!

Get out of 1957, Gen and look at real history.

Both moderate AND totalitarian regimes from both the left AND the right of politics have put restrictions on civilian weaponry throughout history.

You know how it goes. Go far enough in either direction and you end up in the same place. The colors might be different but the zealotry remains the same. (Reminds of the Led Zepplin movie)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics