John Howard saved thousands of lives since '96?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: John Howard saved thousands of lives since '96?

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Oct 2016, 4:09 pm

Gwion wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:historically though the reds are obviously more inclined to 'disarm the proles'..

Utter bullshyte.....

Look out! There's a RED under the BED!

Get out of 1957, Gen and look at real history.

Both moderate AND totalitarian regimes from both the left AND the right of politics have put restrictions on civilian weaponry throughout history.

Whats a moderate regime? as opposed to a totalitarian regime? I'm always willing to learn something....

I dont suppose you can name any examples and provide the legislation?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by doc » 03 Oct 2016, 10:35 am

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Some would wish the root cause of suicide, to be as simple as that.

And, who should be held responsible for suicides due to: bank foreclosures, jilted lovers, drug affected souls, mental illness ?

Seriously, such simplistic views are worthless / very telling, in blaming Howard for anything /everything.

Agreed. Blaming John for that is about on par as giving him a Doctorate because he's saved thousands of lives. Both statements are just as absurd as the other - just from opposite sides of the fence.

pomemax wrote:How many people think J Howard had anything to do with the controlling laws that were introduced after port Arthur, he may have implemented them but the time frame was to quick someone had the thing written out and stashed waiting for an excuse.

If Howard was only ever a puppet and had no invested interest, then he wouldn't be crying out for tougher firearm laws now.

I agree that it's likely there's more than just Howard involved with the speed at which the laws were brought through - but Howard's continued commitment to the "cause" indicates to me that he's no innocent bystander - but rather he has a personal invested interest in seeing this through. Whether that's because he's been conned into believing what he's saying, or otherwise who knows...
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by pomemax » 03 Oct 2016, 12:30 pm

doc wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Some would wish the root cause of suicide, to be as simple as that.

And, who should be held responsible for suicides due to: bank foreclosures, jilted lovers, drug affected souls, mental illness ?

Seriously, such simplistic views are worthless / very telling, in blaming Howard for anything /everything.

Agreed. Blaming John for that is about on par as giving him a Doctorate because he's saved thousands of lives. Both statements are just as absurd as the other - just from opposite sides of the fence.

pomemax wrote:How many people think J Howard had anything to do with the controlling laws that were introduced after port Arthur, he may have implemented them but the time frame was to quick someone had the thing written out and stashed waiting for an excuse.

If Howard was only ever a puppet and had no invested interest, then he wouldn't be crying out for tougher firearm laws now.

I agree that it's likely there's more than just Howard involved with the speed at which the laws were brought through - but Howard's continued commitment to the "cause" indicates to me that he's no innocent bystander - but rather he has a personal invested interest in seeing this through. Whether that's because he's been conned into believing what he's saying, or otherwise who knows...

Doc that,s my point i don,t think Howard wrote anything he reminds me of a kid who,s copied someone else work then claims it as his own with no real concept of whats in the work .But now he got to say its ALL CORRECT
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 04 Oct 2016, 11:05 pm

No emotion, just look at the facts;

JHs gun buyback cost taxpayers 500 million dollars.

Crime figures, including violent crime, continued to drop after 1996.
The figures dropped exactly the same as the crime figures in New Zealand (I believe NZ dropped slightly more).
And New Zealand introduced no new gun laws. Similar culture, similar crime patterns, similar gun usage.

Looks like semi auto rifles and high cap magazines were not the problem after all. 10 years of statistics to back this up.
If these were evidence based laws they would be repealing them right now. I will not hold my breath.

Remember that this was not done by the Greens. This was done by the Liberals.
It was an expensive publicity stunt that did nothing except demonize gun owners who did the right thing.
Next time you are in a polling booth think about it.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics