Steve Lee on the SSAA

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Steve Lee on the SSAA

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Nov 2016, 4:40 pm

All I can say is that I totally agree. It's high time the ssaa cut out all the dead wood and became a vocal lobby group rather than sitting back doing sfa.
They have the funds, they have power in numbers but they have no balls.
Screenshot_2016-11-14-17-02-46.png
Screenshot_2016-11-14-17-02-46.png (344.5 KiB) Viewed 5736 times

Screenshot_2016-11-14-16-46-06.png
Screenshot_2016-11-14-16-46-06.png (189.16 KiB) Viewed 5736 times

Screenshot_2016-11-14-16-46-22.png
Screenshot_2016-11-14-16-46-22.png (247.68 KiB) Viewed 5736 times

Thank you Steve Lee :drinks: and wake up SSAA.

EDIT ; It looks like James Walsh from the Sydney branch has his heart in the right place.
Perhaps it's a matter of having the right candidates ready for the next SSAA election and ensuring that members actually vote rather than just throwing the paperwork in the bin.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Steve Lee on the SSAA

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2016, 5:13 pm

steve lee, the bloke that just got his ass handed to him by nsw FAR for breaking about 20 firearms laws? hardly any kind of role model to be commentating on firearms politics :thumbsdown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Nov 2016, 5:18 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing his side of the story.
Especially seeing how your talking about our black and white, well written fa laws that aren't open to interpretation of any kind.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 14 Nov 2016, 6:48 pm

What did steve do exactly to get in bother with the law?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Nov 2016, 7:19 pm

albat wrote:What did steve do exactly to get in bother with the law?

I have absolutely no idea but according to Chronos he must have broken almost every firearms law ever invented ... but be assured his dealings with the police on firearms matters beares no relevance on his opinion of the ssaa.

His sentiment is perfectly in line with the ssaa's shortfalls.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 99problems » 14 Nov 2016, 7:55 pm

albat wrote:What did steve do exactly to get in bother with the law?

Have you watched his Ilikeguns music video on youtube, crimes against music perhaps!
99problems
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by albat » 14 Nov 2016, 8:11 pm

Yes ive seen his stuff online music has to be up there with the ozzie reviews tunes i reckon !!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Nov 2016, 8:12 pm

No.... dont start on the Steve Lee saga.... 'chronos' knows that at the other place the discussion was shut down. Leave it be.

As far as this matter is concerned... I honestly feel pissed off, annoyed, disappointed that the shooting club that many Aussie shooters are members of.. must become a LOBBY group... as opposed to a SPORTING CLUB.... simply to keep the grabbers, or those who so vehemently seek to regulate our sport/passtime/recreation away..

Out of interest, the term 'lobby group' originated at a time (it is said) in Washington DC, over a century ago, when group of people seeking to influence the Politicians/President, would gather in the Lobby of a particular Hotel with the hope of accessing the attentions of those of influence - a fleeting word or two for their 'cause'...

So in other words, our 'club' , the SSAA is reduced to a desperate bunch of marketers who hope to ever so breifly get in the ear of the pollies as they come and go from their favourite watering hole with the HOPE that they can be convincing enough to stop them from writing more laws that further regulate shooting and gun ownership.....

A lobby group is most concerned with political machinations, access, manoeuvres, favors, relationships..
A sporting club with the sport and its advancement to the direct benefit of the members.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Nov 2016, 8:42 pm

We have other sporting codes lobbying against shooters. Afl , cricket Australia to name a couple

The least the SSAA could do is be a sporting association that lobbies for it's own good.

They don't even look at it as future proofing ... that would make good business sense.

Lobbying would be a direct benefit to shooters.

Did you read the comment from the Sydney President ? He himself would like to lobby more but others in the organization would like to keep the status quo.... his own words
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Nov 2016, 8:44 am

on_one_wheel wrote:We have other sporting codes lobbying against shooters. Afl , cricket Australia to name a couple

The least the SSAA could do is be a sporting association that lobbies for it's own good.

They don't even look at it as future proofing ... that would make good business sense.

Lobbying would be a direct benefit to shooters.

Did you read the comment from the Sydney President ? He himself would like to lobby more but others in the organization would like to keep the status quo.... his own words

Yes, my point is that its a sorry state of affairs when our sporting reps need to lobby, simply to keep our sport 'legal' and to battle off the attackers... as opposed to the usual lobbying of sporting codes simply for funding.... Cricket Aus or the AFL dont need to lobby to stay alive, neither does ANY our sport.

Its difficult when the regulators and the media accept the situation; when we even have registered charities lobbying / activist'ing' AGAINST our lawful pursuit ... WE are subsidising as tax-payers the activism of AMF to fight to take our guns;

THE ALANNAH & MADELINE FOUNDATION is registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission
THE ALANNAH & MADELINE FOUNDATION is endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient,
GST Concession
FBT Rebate
Income Tax Exemption.

The grief they cause within the shooting fraternity, surely disqualifies them from qualifying as a public benevolent organisation...
For one thing we should be directing some effort/interest against that trojan horse group, reduce violence against kids, but prominent on their website is a button to sign their gun laws petition to "keep the kids safe" inference that lawful guns = violence to kids (actually a direct statement effectively)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by trekin » 15 Nov 2016, 9:11 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:No.... dont start on the Steve Lee saga.... 'chronos' knows that at the other place the discussion was shut down. Leave it be.

As far as this matter is concerned... I honestly feel pissed off, annoyed, disappointed that the shooting club that many Aussie shooters are members of.. must become a LOBBY group... as opposed to a SPORTING CLUB.... simply to keep the grabbers, or those who so vehemently seek to regulate our sport/passtime/recreation away..

Out of interest, the term 'lobby group' originated at a time (it is said) in Washington DC, over a century ago, when group of people seeking to influence the Politicians/President, would gather in the Lobby of a particular Hotel with the hope of accessing the attentions of those of influence - a fleeting word or two for their 'cause'...

So in other words, our 'club' , the SSAA is reduced to a desperate bunch of marketers who hope to ever so breifly get in the ear of the pollies as they come and go from their favourite watering hole with the HOPE that they can be convincing enough to stop them from writing more laws that further regulate shooting and gun ownership.....

A lobby group is most concerned with political machinations, access, manoeuvres, favors, relationships..
A sporting club with the sport and its advancement to the direct benefit of the members.

However, the majority of shooters feel pissed off, annoyed, disappointed that the LOBBY group that they joined, has become nothing more than a SPORTING CLUB
"About Us

The Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia (SSAA) was established in 1948 in order to promote the shooting sports and protect firearm owners’ interests. Those roles remain the same today, and with more than 180,000 members and 400 clubs, the SSAA is the premier sports shooting body representing licensed owners in Australia."
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 15 Nov 2016, 11:21 am

I heard that that Steve got his guns nicked because of his countless videos he did showing all his cool toys. It was brought to the attention of the Firearms Branch who took them. Steve went to court and won and they where ordered to hand them back, but refused to. He talked about it on an interview with Hickok45 whilst in the USA.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Nov 2016, 11:55 am

trekin wrote:"About Us

The Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia (SSAA) was established in 1948 in order to promote the shooting sports and protect firearm owners’ interests. Those roles remain the same today, and with more than 180,000 members and 400 clubs, the SSAA is the premier sports shooting body representing licensed owners in Australia."

That's exactly why I discontinued my membership.

False advertising at it's best.

The ssaa are way too quiet while police ministers and politicians are trying to re classify certain firearms.

I still follow the SSAA on their social media pages just in case they miraculously get vocal.

I'm yet to even see them mention the "military appearance laws" that have been taken to a whole new level in Tas.

It's almost like they have a dilligaf attitude.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dpskipper » 15 Nov 2016, 12:51 pm

I think other entities like Firearms Owners United are doing a better job than SSAA.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2016, 2:37 pm

They, SSAA, got the Tasmanian state government to back down on the "appearance" laws.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 Nov 2016, 2:43 pm

Perhaps the time has come for some new blood in the SSAA.

I like what Shooters Union are doing in Qld I am going to join Shooters Union NSW.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 15 Nov 2016, 3:45 pm

dpskipper wrote:I heard that that Steve got his guns nicked because of his countless videos he did showing all his cool toys. It was brought to the attention of the Firearms Branch who took them. Steve went to court and won and they where ordered to hand them back, but refused to. He talked about it on an interview with Hickok45 whilst in the USA.

That may be what he told them, the truth may be somewhere between what he says and what they charged him with but suffice to say if you're going to make vids involving firearms please make sure you aren't shown breaking the law

Baronvonrort wrote:Perhaps the time has come for some new blood in the SSAA.

I like what Shooters Union are doing in Qld I am going to join Shooters Union NSW.

I'm not sure splitting shooters into ever smaller groups is a solution but the Shooters union has been fairly successful in Qld, perhaps they will gain popularity in NSW when they get their first range operational but from what I've seen they are not much more than a shooting club at the moment

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Nov 2016, 6:31 pm

Gamerancher wrote:They, SSAA, got the Tasmanian state government to back down on the "appearance" laws.

Dont over-estimate their effort.... Though I'm sure they sent in a response, MANY shooters did so as well... sending in very 'to the point' emails, as I did (and I even for a second thought twice about sending what I said... once 'send' was pressed...

It was the MANY shooters rather than the one impotent org.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Nov 2016, 6:44 pm

trekin wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:No.... dont start on the Steve Lee saga.... 'chronos' knows that at the other place the discussion was shut down. Leave it be.

However, the majority of shooters feel pissed off, annoyed, disappointed that the LOBBY group that they joined, has become nothing more than a SPORTING CLUB
"About Us

Move forward to today though, and it just sounds a lot more 'romantic' and positive/effective to say it was to 'promote and protect.....'

Back in the day it was a bunch of blokes shooting the three-ow...and wanting to be left alone.

Dont get me wrong.... Its great that their fighting etc... but it reflects a certain desperation in the present political / social environment....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2016, 9:52 pm

Genesis, I personally know the state president and it was after he had meetings with relevant minister and police reps and explained the pitfalls of their proposals that they backed down. Just because the biased media doesn't report the facts, doesn't mean that SSAA isn't doing anything.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Nov 2016, 10:00 pm

ok
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by DreddEmpire » 16 Nov 2016, 8:07 am

dpskipper wrote:I heard that that Steve got his guns nicked because of his countless videos he did showing all his cool toys. It was brought to the attention of the Firearms Branch who took them. Steve went to court and won and they where ordered to hand them back, but refused to. He talked about it on an interview with Hickok45 whilst in the USA.

Intersting mate. Is there a link to that? Would love to see it.
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Nov 2016, 8:36 am

ADMIN NOTE;

I'm posting this link to avert 15 pages of what did or did not transpire in the S.Lee saga. If you make the call that its his business only (though its a public record) please delete.

Lee v Commissioner of Police

Yes, youtube was indeed evidence held against him...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 16 Nov 2016, 12:15 pm

Thanks G, that made for some good reading materiel if I have trouble sleeping of a night. Interesting case that highlights the pitfalls of posting things on YouTube / Facebook and even on here. Guess the lesson to take from this is that if in doubt then get a ruling from the registry, if they won't give it to you in writing then do as I do and take notes of who I spoke to, date, time and bullet points on what was said or agreed to.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics