And still they whinge.....

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

And still they whinge.....

Post by Browning » 29 Dec 2016, 5:39 am

Top Stories: Rifle association leasing land from Government below market value
http://ab.co/2hsP3qO

I'm not in NSW but this affects us all.......
Poor old Mr Thistlewaite and his children who hear cracks in the distance..... For gods sake...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: And still they whinge.....

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Dec 2016, 7:45 am

Oohh... It is being rented at $26.5k per year. Oh no no no no no. That is totally unacceptable. So Mr Thistlewaite wants to turn it into a public park, instead...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Dec 2016, 7:48 am

...which would not only mean no rent, but would then also incur maintenance costs.

Well done, Mr Thistlewaite. Well done indeed.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Dec 2016, 7:50 am

Oh. And they've been there 150 years, so the distant cracks were definitely there first. You can't complain when they've been there many, many decades before you decided to move to the area.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 29 Dec 2016, 8:01 am

I'm obviously not "in the know" but in general I have no problem with people complaining about utilization of government property and appearances of political deals at the expense of the taxpayer.

But Mr Thistlethwaite said it was no place for a shooting range.

"I've got two young kids and I take them down to Malabar Park regularly on a Saturday," he said.

"You hear the rifle cracks in the background and my kids ask 'what is that, Dad?'"

"It's the Jolly Green Giant and your dad's a pussy, Son."

They should move in next door to me.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Dec 2016, 8:41 am

"You hear the rifle cracks in the background and my kids ask 'what is that, Dad?'"

That's the sound of people enjoying themselves son, something I forbid you and your friends to do.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Dec 2016, 9:16 am

It is, IMHO, shameful that that sporting shooters have to fork our $30 odd grand.... just to have somewhere to shoot.... It's not a fair/equitable use of public land?? just look at every other sport from lawn bowls tennis footy you name it, that in the vast vast majority use 'public' land (though that term is a fallacy in itself).... most if not ALL others pay a 'peppercorn' rent/lease... ie, well below 'market' rates...if they DO want 'market' rates, then look at all the clubs in leafy suburbs, Tennis clubs, bowls and see how they will go... with their dozen members..
Footy? equate the ovals to the "median house price" too, the under 10's memberships would be multiplied by a factor of what, 5 or 10?? or more...

As far as ANZAC goes, there should be NO cost, and an ongoing 'agreement'... NOT a lease with enough termination/ default clauses that would have the shooters out 'at a whim'; eg;

Standard of premises - if at any time the premises or any part of the premises is not in a safe condition that is fit for its purpose and permitted use in accordance with all applicable laws and authorisations;...

What is safe? is there a standard? Fit for purpose is hugely vague and subject to interpretation... what laws and authorisations, current? future?

That is just one example of the 'escape' clauses, one that I myself would have written to give the lessor comfort in the knowledge they they can cause a default.... should it be 'required'...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by straightshooter » 29 Dec 2016, 10:29 am

In spite of a final, unappealable High Court decision in favour of the NSWRA the process to torment the shooters off Anzac range goes on ad nauseum..
I am sure that the NSWRA would eagerly accept a move to another range if the federal government were to adhere to the conditions stipulated by the High Court and they were adequately compensated for loss of improvements.
Then all this whinging, politicking and and trying to influence the opinions of the uninformed masses would stop and the real agenda can then start.
What's the real agenda?
You don't have to be too bright to work that one out..
The NSWRA is a secure tennant of developable land worth billions of dollars.
When they are gone then it's high rise with ocean views here we come.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 29 Dec 2016, 11:55 am

My gun club leases our land from the local city, we adjoin the police range, in the country side. Being next to the police range negates any possible complaints about gunfire noise. Even if we owned the land outright Oklahoma, as do many other American States, has laws on the books guarding gun ranges from being sued for the activity held on the property. "Sorry fella, you knew there was a gun range there when you built your house. Don't gripe about the sound of gunfire."
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 29 Dec 2016, 12:36 pm

Any place you step in the Lehigh Valley you have 10 gun clubs (or fish & gun and hunting clubs) within 10 miles, at least two in every compass direction, and maybe one or two public indoor ranges as well. Most boroughs have two gun clubs and most townships have several. This is a really good area for that kind of thing. That being said, I usually shoot on private property.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Dec 2016, 2:55 pm

"You hear the rifle cracks in the background and my kids ask 'what is that, Dad?'" Solution is very, very simple! issue all members with suppressors for the rifles. See, easy fixed.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Dec 2016, 3:12 pm

Perhaps Mr Thistlewaite would lead the motion to change the NFA rules to permit the use of Suppressors on a Health and Safety issue. If the Parks Service have access on a WPH and S issue, surely Shooters should also. :clap:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2016, 3:48 pm

They will never stop, they have a job to do and until they succeed it will never end, we too have a job to do and that is to ensure they never do!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Dec 2016, 8:50 pm

(sniff, sniff) I smell redevelopment - High rise apartments, 2, 3 story mansions with water views but I don't see a park like Mr. Thistlewaite suggests.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 29 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm

Valuable land next to the Sewerage treatment works??
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 30 Dec 2016, 5:37 am

I find ballroom dancing really pox and annoying, grown men on skate boards, 'man buns' , blokes wearing girl's jeans and grown men wearing their cap backwards. we should ban all of that.

Oh that's right, I accept that some people like different things than I do, it doesn't affect me either so I just let them go about their business.
Be nice if certain do-gooders had the same attitude.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 30 Dec 2016, 6:23 am

p3seven wrote:Valuable land next to the Sewerage treatment works??

Without going too deeply into the ins and outs of the obstacles encountered in high rise developments, a major issue is how to deal with sewerage.
Here you have a development site with a direct down hill, no easements required, no sewer main amplification required, no sewer licence required and finally no pump out required, site.
It's a developers dream.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 30 Dec 2016, 6:31 am

RoginaJack wrote:(sniff, sniff) I smell redevelopment - High rise apartments, 2, 3 story mansions with water views but I don't see a park like Mr. Thistlewaite suggests.

Don't be so cynical.
The park will be on the residual bits of land too contaminated to economically rehabilitate and thus won't be built on.
Please understand that the whole area was used as a tip in the years long before there was much in the way of environmental consciousness not to mention what got dumped there over the years 'on the sly'.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 31 Dec 2016, 4:15 am

What's a tip? Thanks
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Cryptic » 31 Dec 2016, 5:02 am

Title_II wrote:What's a tip? Thanks

Tip: Be good to your mum.

Tip is term for rubbish dump.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 31 Dec 2016, 5:05 am

Just had a thought Title. You probably wont get the be good to your mum comment as it is part of an old Aussie pizza hut ad.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 31 Dec 2016, 5:17 am

Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bourt » 03 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Oh. And they've been there 150 years, so the distant cracks were definitely there first. You can't complain when they've been there many, many decades before you decided to move to the area.

And yet there is no shortage of idiots that do it.

People move in next to amusement parks and complain the roller coasters are too loud.

They move in near naval bases and complain the ships block the view.

Move next to pubs with live music venues and complain they are too loud.

The list goes on.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics