Shot dead with a blank?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Shot dead with a blank?

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 7:22 am

bentaz wrote:
Title_II wrote:We don't have anybody here that's been in the military? All you do all day when you are not shooting other people is fire blanks at each other.

I've never done it as a civilian and would not. Unless it was under controlled conditions for a training purpose.

We weren't supposed to fire at someone within 2 meters i think it was.

They told us 20 feet. That went out the window halfway through the first mag and it was never heard of again :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Itshurting » 26 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

This is what happens when you circumvent the very strict protocols of using a licensed armourer in the Film/TV industry.
I've been in that business for 25 years and have worked numerous armourers and nothing like this has even come close to happening.
I've heard that these guys had "mates" that supplied the firearms and supposedly "safe" rounds rather than employing a reputable and trusted professional armourer.
This will serve to make it harder and more regulated for the next production that requires firearms action.
The industry union is said to be already looking to tighten the safety requirements even though these guys were surely working outside of the union and industry guidelines.
As we say in the biz "You pay peanuts , you get monkeys"
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars".

Remington
Henry
Mossberg
Krico
Cashmore
Pardus
Itshurting
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jan 2017, 5:08 pm

Of the "firearms" used, the handguns were only replicas and the other was a 12g D/B cut down shotgun. Apparently, this was the weapon used, with a blank cartridge. The type of blank used is still being investigated, along with a re-enactment to ascertain what went so horribly wrong .Aa armourer was also in attendance.Very, very tragic.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Walt68 » 03 Feb 2017, 5:33 am

Served for 18 years, blanks will kill you at close range, had a bloke in Rockhampton cut the projectile out of a shotgun slug, shot his dog in the head from less than 5 metres and killed it
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Korkt » 03 Feb 2017, 9:45 am

WTF was he doing?
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 03 Feb 2017, 12:33 pm

Korkt wrote:WTF was he doing?

Being a moron, obviously!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 03 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

Walt68 wrote:Served for 18 years, blanks will kill you at close range, had a bloke in Rockhampton cut the projectile out of a shotgun slug, shot his dog in the head from less than 5 metres and killed it

I've poured thousands of rounds of blanks into people so close that some of them probably had powder burns. If you are using a blank adapter there is almost no danger directly in front of the rifle.

Yes, blanks can kill you at close range. That should not be something you should have encountered during your service. I don't remember shooting shotgun wads at dogs, maybe I missed that day ;)

Without a blank adapter, things get more sketchy. But the fact that your weapon sounds loud and is not cycling should be a clue. Throw in a cleaning rod and you can get your gear back from a monkey :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Walt68 » 03 Feb 2017, 4:54 pm

Civilians have poor training and think blanks are safe, they would probably not have used a BFA, the idiot in Rockhampton thought it would be safe as there was no projectile, his very limited understanding of firearms did not include the knowledge about wads.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Title_II » 03 Feb 2017, 5:51 pm

There is absolutely no doubt, you are 100% correct, of course. And it does NOT go without saying, it needs to be said. Not sure about OZ, but at least around these parts we have plenty of idiots. Well, everybody is ignorant until they learn, so that expands the problem.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Firearms related media and politics