Shot dead with a blank?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Shot dead with a blank?

Post by albat » 24 Jan 2017, 1:45 pm

In relation to the sad death of a stunt man in brisbane cbd yesterday i heard on the news that he got shot dead with a firearm on set and was killed with a blank got no idea how that goes down? Anyone?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Shot dead with a blank?

Post by Ed9362 » 24 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

maybe a barrel obstruction. he was only 1.5 meters away from the shotgun when it was fired (according to news.com.au).
Brandon lee died about 20 years in similar circumstances.

these jerkoffs were filming a video clip for a rap song. I really wish they wouldn't flash guns around acting like inner city American gangsters trying to look tough. its not a good look for us
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2017, 1:53 pm

albat wrote:In relation to the sad death of a stunt man in brisbane cbd yesterday i heard on the news that he got shot dead with a firearm on set and was killed with a blank got no idea how that goes down? Anyone?

Depends on the circumstances. Firing a blank against somebody's head could cause enough trauma to kill.

Also depends on the type of blank.
Even a crimped blank probably still has a cardboard wad.
Other blanks have no crimp but heavier wads.

I believe the official finding with Brandon Lee was that the bullet from a dummy round had come adrift and lodged in the bore of the revolver, and was then fired by a blank loaded after it.

I can't see any reason for them to have a real firearm on set though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WhelanLad » 24 Jan 2017, 2:03 pm

knowing BnE an their music, it could be of any sort of 're enactment' moment of the past 2 years events for a new song, they arnt really guns and gangs at all , more peace and love the aussie way..

weird though, yeah I agree.. good music n good lads
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 24 Jan 2017, 2:08 pm

WhelanLad wrote:knowing BnE an their music, it could be of any sort of 're enactment' moment of the past 2 years events for a new song, they arnt really guns and gangs at all , more peace and love the aussie way..

fair enough, I don't know any of their music.

just assumed a rap song would be about the usual s**t.

my mistake. (I still don't like them waving guns around. apparently its dangerous)
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by WhelanLad » 24 Jan 2017, 2:18 pm

yep, youtube - the sea is rising - Bliss n eso . or any from the album 'flying colours' :)
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Jan 2017, 2:20 pm

WhelanLad wrote:knowing BnE an their music, it could be of any sort of 're enactment' moment of the past 2 years events for a new song, they arnt really guns and gangs at all , more peace and love the aussie way..

Hadn't heard this story but i agree: Bliss'N'Esso are more peace and good times with a little political comment (like most Aussie HipHop or as i call it, SkipHop).

Bad news and bad planning from the film crew. Thoughts go out to all involved. Tragedy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 24 Jan 2017, 2:24 pm

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Jan 2017, 2:27 pm

There was an actor who shot himself in the head with a blank... the concussive force did it...
Depending on the type of blank, the wadd still travels with velocity...

There have been a few where a live round was loaded into the 'prop' gun... either mistake or otherwise... who know is this happened here...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jan 2017, 2:55 pm

Possibly the so called blank was a regular shell with the shot removed, pretty sure just the plastic wad on its own at 1.5m would be lethal. Yet another tragic loss due to negligence which could have been prevented. Behind every "Accident" there's an act of negligence.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 24 Jan 2017, 5:05 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 24 Jan 2017, 5:07 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by deye243 » 24 Jan 2017, 5:28 pm

brett1868 wrote:Possibly the so called blank was a regular shell with the shot removed, pretty sure just the plastic wad on its own at 1.5m would be lethal. Yet another tragic loss due to negligence which could have been prevented. Behind every "Accident" there's an act of negligence.

would hardly give you a bruise as 90% of the powder doesn't burn as their is no pressure did this heaps of

times years ago trying to make blanks that actually go bang we could actually see the wad and it wasn't going

fast at all about as fast as you could throw one , just a thump and unburnt powder every where .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Jan 2017, 8:06 pm

happyhunter wrote:Ok, just guessing, but the Brandon lee accident happened when they loaded a dummy rounds, no primer, no powder but with projectiles for the close up front shot of the revolver to look realistic. Then when they removed the dummy, the projectile stayed jammed in the lands. Then a blank was inserted for the shooting scene and the rest you can work put for yourselves.

proj, no powder, just primer, squib, jambs proj in barrel, LOAD blank, discharge blank proj goes to Bruce Jnr's gut...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

Something was overlooked here.

Always point a firearm in a safe direction.
Always treat a firearm as loaded.
Never point a firearm at something that you don't want to kill or destroy.

Someone was killed here by an act of stupidly.

Blanks still fire massive volumes of hot gas at extreme pressures ( shock horror, is that why they go BANG !)

Honestly can anyone here say they'd load a blank and fire it directly at a mate from any range ?
I know that I wouldn't.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 24 Jan 2017, 9:13 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Honestly can anyone here say they'd load a blank and fire it directly at a mate from any range ?
I know that I wouldn't.

I have. Thousands upon thousands of them.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Ed9362 » 24 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Something was overlooked here.

Always point a firearm in a safe direction.
Always treat a firearm as loaded.
Never point a firearm at something that you don't want to kill or destroy.

Someone was killed here by an act of stupidly.

Blanks still fire massive volumes of hot gas at extreme pressures ( shock horror, is that why they go BANG !)

Honestly can anyone here say they'd load a blank and fire it directly at a mate from any range ?
I know that I wouldn't.

+1

we all know guns are not toys. seems Hollywood(and their Aussie cousins do not understand this)
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 3:37 am

We don't have anybody here that's been in the military? All you do all day when you are not shooting other people is fire blanks at each other.

I've never done it as a civilian and would not. Unless it was under controlled conditions for a training purpose.

Of the four rules:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

I believe the golden rule is, "If you don't point that thing at me you'll never end up shooting me."

I've had two negligent discharges in my life (actually the second one probably doesn't count) and had a weapon malfunction and fire. But I am so anal about never letting a muzzle cover something of value (outside of listed exceptions) that I never hit anything of value.

As far as Hollywood not knowing the rules of safety is concerned, just like the military it is their job to point guns at each other and shoot blanks. And most of those guns are real (although the majority have Hollywood barrels). If you don't like it, don't play a part in a movie. Just like the modern US Army, Hollywood didn't draft you.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 7:22 am

bentaz wrote:
Title_II wrote:We don't have anybody here that's been in the military? All you do all day when you are not shooting other people is fire blanks at each other.

I've never done it as a civilian and would not. Unless it was under controlled conditions for a training purpose.

We weren't supposed to fire at someone within 2 meters i think it was.

They told us 20 feet. That went out the window halfway through the first mag and it was never heard of again :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Itshurting » 26 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

This is what happens when you circumvent the very strict protocols of using a licensed armourer in the Film/TV industry.
I've been in that business for 25 years and have worked numerous armourers and nothing like this has even come close to happening.
I've heard that these guys had "mates" that supplied the firearms and supposedly "safe" rounds rather than employing a reputable and trusted professional armourer.
This will serve to make it harder and more regulated for the next production that requires firearms action.
The industry union is said to be already looking to tighten the safety requirements even though these guys were surely working outside of the union and industry guidelines.
As we say in the biz "You pay peanuts , you get monkeys"
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars".

Remington
Henry
Mossberg
Krico
Cashmore
Pardus
Itshurting
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jan 2017, 5:08 pm

Of the "firearms" used, the handguns were only replicas and the other was a 12g D/B cut down shotgun. Apparently, this was the weapon used, with a blank cartridge. The type of blank used is still being investigated, along with a re-enactment to ascertain what went so horribly wrong .Aa armourer was also in attendance.Very, very tragic.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Walt68 » 03 Feb 2017, 5:33 am

Served for 18 years, blanks will kill you at close range, had a bloke in Rockhampton cut the projectile out of a shotgun slug, shot his dog in the head from less than 5 metres and killed it
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Korkt » 03 Feb 2017, 9:45 am

WTF was he doing?
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 03 Feb 2017, 12:33 pm

Korkt wrote:WTF was he doing?

Being a moron, obviously!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 03 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

Walt68 wrote:Served for 18 years, blanks will kill you at close range, had a bloke in Rockhampton cut the projectile out of a shotgun slug, shot his dog in the head from less than 5 metres and killed it

I've poured thousands of rounds of blanks into people so close that some of them probably had powder burns. If you are using a blank adapter there is almost no danger directly in front of the rifle.

Yes, blanks can kill you at close range. That should not be something you should have encountered during your service. I don't remember shooting shotgun wads at dogs, maybe I missed that day ;)

Without a blank adapter, things get more sketchy. But the fact that your weapon sounds loud and is not cycling should be a clue. Throw in a cleaning rod and you can get your gear back from a monkey :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Walt68 » 03 Feb 2017, 4:54 pm

Civilians have poor training and think blanks are safe, they would probably not have used a BFA, the idiot in Rockhampton thought it would be safe as there was no projectile, his very limited understanding of firearms did not include the knowledge about wads.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Title_II » 03 Feb 2017, 5:51 pm

There is absolutely no doubt, you are 100% correct, of course. And it does NOT go without saying, it needs to be said. Not sure about OZ, but at least around these parts we have plenty of idiots. Well, everybody is ignorant until they learn, so that expands the problem.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Firearms related media and politics