Armed robbery at gun shop

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Armed robbery at gun shop

Post by pete1 » 25 Jan 2017, 11:30 am

22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Armed robbery at gun shop

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Jan 2017, 11:56 am

I can only say, self defense laws ... we need them to be changed to allow the use of weapons for the purpose of self defense.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 25 Jan 2017, 12:01 pm

I'm all for self defence laws, and having been in that little shop it would have been all over before they knew what was happening, maybe if the owners had some sort of open/concealed carry and then actually had the right to defend themselves it could have been a more positive outcome
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

Well maybe not more "positive" for the robbers. :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 25 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

Here's what happened in Georgia, USA.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/12/ge ... spect.html
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Jan 2017, 12:11 pm

It has been said they were......"of colour" (the colour you leave after a 'motion')

Any confirmation??

Either way this has created a dangerous precedence:

EVEN in a gunshop. You wont be opposed. Welcome to VIC, the free-for-all-crims
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pete1 » 25 Jan 2017, 12:25 pm

Gotta have balls or be stupid to rob a gunshop, we have armed security guards guarding money but cant arm yourself to protect your on life, its messed up.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Jan 2017, 1:08 pm

pete1 wrote:Gotta have balls or be stupid to rob a gunshop, we have armed security guards guarding money but cant arm yourself to protect your on life, its messed up.

I'm betting on a combination of Nothin-to-lose / plain stupidity

We need a serious rethink in the handling of crims / self defence laws in vic.....

Crime wave, yet an old lady walking down the street with a pepper spray canister would be put in front of a magistrate. While these little CNUT, also the not so little, who steal cars, close down highway destroy property and inure people are walking through the revolving door of our INjustice system...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 25 Jan 2017, 2:09 pm

I think some gunshops may start cleaning and bore sighting a lot of handguns in the near future.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 25 Jan 2017, 2:24 pm

I thought gun dealers were one of the rare breed actually allow to carry for personal protection....???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by scotty87 » 26 Jan 2017, 8:32 am

Gwion wrote:I thought gun dealers were one of the rare breed actually allow to carry for personal protection....???

There is a certain firearm store in QLD that I'm sure no one would be silly enough to try and rob, IMO a gun dealer should be allowed to open carry given what threat stolen firearms pose to the public.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 9:06 am

GLS_1956 wrote:Here's what happened in Georgia, USA.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/12/ge ... spect.html

All gun shop employees open carry here. It's insane that people can be so stupid as to try and rob them. Then again, the people that rob gun stores have probably never been in one before since they are crims so they may not know unless one of their buddies died doing it :D

I went to sell some silver this week at a gold shop. I walk in and the guy has a counter wall to wall that completely separates the customer area from the much larger employee area. No glass shield or any ghetto stuff like that. But he had a giant German Shepard, must have been over 150 lbm and he did not like me. He was packing a .40 S&W. If you wanted over that counter, I guess you could try, but you better mean business because the guy is not giving it away and the dog certainly is not. He had the ****** holster I've ever seen though LOL.

If you will permit me to briefly go off topic, for some reason this reminded me of a funny story. A guy I know was in a rather bad part of town in the city he lives in. He was wearing a Glock hat. A "thug" came up to him and asked him for a few dollars and my friend (more of an acquaintance) said, "No."

Thug: "Then howsa bout you give me that watch, that's a nice watch."

Friend: "No."

Thug: "I bet if there weren't so many people around you'd give me that watch. I betchyou I get that watch anyway."

Thug #2: Walks up to Thug, grabs him, turns him around and starts dragging him off. "You gotta be the dumbest mothaf%^&ing nigga I evar saw. Dude is wearing a Glock hat and you gonna to try to take his s**t?"

:D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Jan 2017, 9:13 am

I was reading on another forum that the dead guy in the Georgia robbery copped 3 .45ACP hydra shock rounds to the chest and one in his eye.. this was from a LEO in Georgia.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 9:15 am

That'll buff right out :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 26 Jan 2017, 9:30 am

Considering some of the gun shop staff I've met through owning firearms I think arming them would be a stupid idea. The first thing the robber would do is shoot the hero behind the counter in the face, the same way they did in banks before the banks worked out not keeping large wads of cash was more a deterrent to robbery than armed guards.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by doc » 26 Jan 2017, 10:18 am

I'm all for store owners being armed with training!

We've seen a spate of armed robberies in jewelry stores. Now that crims (and the rest of the public) can see just how effective this can be - I'm sadly expecting to see more of these with firearm stores too.

Arming store owners doesn't necessarily mean it will lead to an armed conflict. Simply being armed will be more of a deterrent for most robbers.

At present a car full of gang members can jump out, with axes and base ball bats, get into a gun store, steal guns and ammo and be armed with far more deadly weapons within minutes...... with what to stop them?

I disagree that arming shop owners would lead to robbers simply shooting the person behind the counter. First they need to have a gun themselves. Second - there's a huge difference between armed robbery and murder as far as punishment is concerned. I suspect the same reason why we've seen video footage of some shop owners resisting armed robbers that haven't fired their guns. Even with robbers they know - it's one thing to intimidate and threaten someone's life - it's very different to actually take someone's life.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by happyhunter » 26 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

A lot of robbers use fake guns, that is why when challenged nobody is shot or they just aren't of the personality to resort to killing. Kids with axes and baseball bats are not what I am referring to. The crooks I'm thinking of are the psychopathic type with no qualms about using deadly violence when necessary to achieve the goal.

Arming a shop attendant will just get them killed in circumstances where the losses would have otherwise been material. Expecting retail service people to take in the role of action hero is pure Hollywood.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Jan 2017, 12:52 pm

I have a carry permit, good for either open or concealed carry. I never carry openly when out in public for the simple reason that to me it says "Shoot me first". For that reason if I were to work in a gun store I would not carry in the open. I'd carry, but it would be concealed.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 1:36 pm

Just my opinion (and the opinion of everybody in the business) but there are no secret squirrels in gun shops. You want that in action as fast as possible. And it may not dissuade some extremely rare crims hellbent on death, but it will make some inbred methhead think twice.

BTW, even the extremely rare crims don't run into the first gunshop they see and walk out with a .22 and a lever action BB gun. The dumbest among them send somebody in in advance to see what they got. And when they got 3, 4, 7 guys carrying guns they tend to move on.

If gun shop employees only carried concealed there would be a heck of a lot more attempted gun shop robberies. Nowadays they are rare, and people die when they happen, every once in a while one of the good guys :( . They would be much more common with concealed carry.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by pomemax » 26 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

Not All crims are smart the winner is
Darwin Award

We have a winner...!

The following mind-boggling attempt at a crime spree in Washington appeared to be the robber's first (and last), due to his lack of a previous record of violence, and his terminally stupid choices:

1. His target was H&J Leather & Firearms, a gun shop specializing in handguns.

2. The shop was full of customers - firearms customers.

3. To enter the shop, the robber had to step around a marked police car parked at the front door.

4. A uniformed officer was standing at the counter, having coffee before work.

Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up, and fired a few wild shots from a .22 target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, the police officer with a 9mm Glock 17, the clerk with a .50 Desert Eagle, assisted by several customers who also drew their guns, several of whom also fired.

The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons.

No one else was hurt in the exchange of fire.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 26 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

pomemax wrote:Not All crims are smart the winner is
Darwin Award

We have a winner...!

The following mind-boggling attempt at a crime spree in Washington appeared to be the robber's first (and last), due to his lack of a previous record of violence, and his terminally stupid choices:

1. His target was H&J Leather & Firearms, a gun shop specializing in handguns.

2. The shop was full of customers - firearms customers.

3. To enter the shop, the robber had to step around a marked police car parked at the front door.

4. A uniformed officer was standing at the counter, having coffee before work.

Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up, and fired a few wild shots from a .22 target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, the police officer with a 9mm Glock 17, the clerk with a .50 Desert Eagle, assisted by several customers who also drew their guns, several of whom also fired.

The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons.

No one else was hurt in the exchange of fire.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp

Holy crap! Oh, mate.

This kinda reminds me of one of my friends up north. He has a BBQ every summer and everybody also brings potluck (your favorite household dish). A few years ago I noticed he had an empty holster. I asked, "Where is your .45?"

He responded, "I have at least 50 friends here armed to the teeth so I left it in the kitchen as I don't need it"

:D

That's not a party you want to crash.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Firearms related media and politics