2017 NFA is here - please read

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

2017 NFA is here - please read

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Feb 2017, 10:19 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: 2017 NFA is here - please read

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2017, 12:41 pm

15. Recreational shooters/hunters
(a) Recreational shooters/hunters must produce proof of permission from a landowner.
(b) Firearms permitted for acquisition, possession or use under this genuine reason are:
i. Category A
ii. Category B

So what about those people who shoot on public land ? Who's going to provide a letter of permission for that ... the Queen ?

And what if your letter of permission has expired and you don't plan on shooting for a while ?

Some of these "agreements'" raise more questions than answers.

I see lever action shotguns have been re-categorized to cat b
24. The following categories are to be used in the licensing of firearms.
25. Licence Category A
(a) Air rifles
(b) Rimfire rifles (excluding semi-automatic)
(c) Shotguns (other than semi-automatic, pump action or lever action)
(d) Rimfire rifle/shotgun combinations
26. Licence Category B
(a) Muzzle-loading firearms
(b) Single shot, double barrel and repeating centrefire rifles
(c) Centrefire rifle/shotgun combinations
(d) Lever action shotguns with a magazine capacity no greater than five rounds
27. Licence Category C
(a) Semi-automatic rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity no greater than 10 rounds
(b) Semi-automatic and pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity no greater
than five rounds
28. Licence Category D
(a) Semi-automatic centrefire rifles designed or adapted for military purposes or a
firearm which substantially duplicates those rifles in design, function or appearance
(b) Non-military style self-loading centrefire rifles

.... did you see the security requirements for 6 to 15 handguns :shock: That's one step away from hiring a full time security guard to stand at your front door.

I'm happy to see that there was no mention of restrictions on ammunition quantities. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BluEsky » 18 Feb 2017, 1:32 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News one- wheel :shock: but I read BS point #54 to be the start of Ammunition Prohibition! :x :crazy:
BluEsky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 18 Feb 2017, 2:02 pm

There trying to get rid of CAT C for farmers as well limits and restrictions galore
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2017, 2:03 pm

It is a good read and I have learned a lot.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm

Wow, so pistols other than .22 are out mostly. Interesting, interesting.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 2:41 pm

Scratch my earlier pistol comment.

Other than ammo limits and 28 day PTA and national registry I am not seeing anything unexpected.

28 does suck major balls. And ammo, that's s**t too, need to start hording components and .22 rounds.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 18 Feb 2017, 2:53 pm

Other than the lever action change, I am not seeing much change to the original NFA.. it had the 28 day wait for all PTA's.

Ammo restrictions is there, which I believe was also in the original NFA..

However time to start writing to the various members or parliaments, gun lobby and local politicians.

Maybe this wil snap the SFFP out of their greyhound and council merger campaign and start campaigning for shooters rights
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 2:57 pm

ROFL yeah SSFP, followed by SSAA. They will totally do something. LOL
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 18 Feb 2017, 3:09 pm

The SFFP is to concerned with greyhound racing and council mergers along with the headquarters of the RFS.

we need to drain our own swamp before we drain the political landscape.. Borsak and Bobby Brown needs to to be retired.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 18 Feb 2017, 3:29 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:15. Recreational shooters/hunters
(a) Recreational shooters/hunters must produce proof of permission from a landowner.
(b) Firearms permitted for acquisition, possession or use under this genuine reason are:
i. Category A
ii. Category B

So what about those people who shoot on public land ? Who's going to provide a letter of permission for that ... the Queen ?:

I'll sign off on a rocket launcher for you. And, if they don't like that, I might show them how it works and see if that changes their mind.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Cryptic » 18 Feb 2017, 3:59 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
.... did you see the security requirements for 6 to 15 handguns :shock: That's one step away from hiring a full time security guard to stand at your front door.

I'm happy to see that there was no mention of restrictions on ammunition quantities. :thumbsup:

That's for the security industry not for personal storage.

49. Security industry storage
(a) Jurisdictions agree that the following minimum storage requirements represent an
appropriate standard for storage of firearms used in the security industry:
i. up to five handguns
1 metal safe to be securely fastened to solid floor or wall by
internal/hidden bolts and hidden within premises
2 individual disabling locks such as barrel or trigger locks to be fitted to
the firearm when stored
ii. six to fifteen handguns
1 safes to be a minimum weight of 150kg
2 safes to be secured to or within brick or concrete walls and floors
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Deacon » 18 Feb 2017, 4:35 pm

I don't know how I can go into things with such low expectations yet still be disappointed. Is this what freedom feels like?
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Ed9362 » 18 Feb 2017, 4:49 pm

Deacon wrote:Is this what freedom feels like?

lol, don't think so, better ask title11
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Feb 2017, 6:16 pm

So, is this a done deal now?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 18 Feb 2017, 6:18 pm

Nope.. this is just the federal wish list. The states need to implement..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Deacon » 18 Feb 2017, 6:23 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Nope.. this is just the federal wish list. The states need to implement..

That's pretty much the equivalent it seems. There is always a chance a couple of states are a little more sensible but here in the ACT we have pretty much all of this anyway. Apart from ammo restrictions which I hope to Jesus Buddha and all the other blokes won't be adopted.
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2017, 6:57 pm

bentaz wrote:There was restrictions on purchace amounts of ammo

Yes but I didn't see anything about restrictions on how much you can possess.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 18 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bentaz wrote:There was restrictions on purchace amounts of ammo

Yes but I didn't see anything about restrictions on how much you can possess.

Page 13 of 14 part 54.

54. Jurisdictions will legislate to allow the sale of ammunition only for those firearms for which
the purchaser is licenced, and impose limits on the quantity of ammunition that may be
purchased in a given period.

Not very specific on exact quantities or time frame.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

O.K.people the ammo restriction was always there but is very generous,Stop acting like its the end of the world.I have 300+ 7mm rem 400+ .243 300+ .222 1000+ 22LR and assorted shotgun ammo.I remember something like you could have 5000 LR and a 1000 each centrefire calibre If we bleat about the non essential stuff we wont be taken seriously on real issues.It is wise policy not to let an Individual person possibly living in a city or suburban area to have a massive arsenal and enough ammo to supply a small army.Public safety is paramount and I do not feel safe living in a country where anyone can have a concealable handgun that they bought at a corner store and catch public transport.I see enough drama on buses and trains without having to worry if they have a lethal weapon.I have never owned a handgun yet apart from military training I have shot blackpowder 45 and several different modern handguns at various ranges over the years.If you really wish to do the cowboy stuff and target shooting you go through the process cos you are serious and wish to do it then you are entrusted with the handguns you need/want and have a good understanding of the responsibility of owning a handgun.Feel free to comment this is a public forum and its only my opinion
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Pythonkeeper » 18 Feb 2017, 8:07 pm

I thought there was already a limit (I'm talking Qld) to the amount of ammo you can possess, from what I remember it is 10,000 rounds in total of any combination of rimfire or centre fire etc so long as it doesn't exceed that amount. If this is the case that's pretty fair I think.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 18 Feb 2017, 9:46 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:I thought there was already a limit (I'm talking Qld) to the amount of ammo you can possess, from what I remember it is 10,000 rounds in total of any combination of rimfire or centre fire etc so long as it doesn't exceed that amount. If this is the case that's pretty fair I think.

10000 then after that you need a certain hazard notice visible in a prescribed way for safety in case of fire or some such.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2017, 10:26 pm

just as I thought all for screwing us and not one thing in this s**t

to punish crims
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 10:30 pm

duncan61 wrote:Individual person possibly living in a city or suburban area to have a massive arsenal and enough ammo to supply a small army.Public safety is paramount

I live in a town house and I must say I agree, I am not even fully comfortable stock piling my crap... In case of fire and what not. I think that's what you meant? What does supplying a small army have to do with anything? E.g. if I had a rural property or free standing garage, yeah, why not, I it's for personal use and should not be anyones business, but mine.

duncan61 wrote:and I do not feel safe living in a country where anyone can have a concealable handgun that they bought at a corner store and catch public transport.I see enough drama on buses and trains without having to worry if they have a lethal weapon.

Mate, you haven't been to a bar or a nightclub in a busy district I am guessing in decades? Gun should be the least of your worries, a glass or a bottle being smashed over your face is however a real threat. A knife... Being punched, plenty of people died from that by smashing their head on concrete in a fall. You are being a drama queen. Same checks as anywhere else, chill. Personally, I would love a handgun for home defence and one in the car.

And... Do I dare ask how you feel about semi-auto?

duncan61 wrote:I have never owned a handgun yet apart from military training I have shot blackpowder 45 and several different modern handguns at various ranges over the years.If you really wish to do the cowboy stuff and target shooting you go through the process cos you are serious and wish to do it then you are entrusted with the handguns you need/want and have a good understanding of the responsibility of owning a handgun.

A very naive view, methinks. I would love to participate in all of those sports and I would! But I don't have the time considering my family commitments and attendance for shooting pistols commitments. I would gladly go to my local range and plink at stuff, why do I have to be serious to own something? I had this view too, but it's false sense of freedom. It is being legislated out of existence.

Oh and by the way, speaking of lethal weapons, do you drive a car, own a BBQ gas cylinder, knifes, have a medicine cabinet, feel up at a servo (where you can buy a lighter)? Honestly, I don't know how I feel about concealed carry, which you touch on. I think we have a different culture for that. But for home defence, I think it's time to do so. And while at it, start allowing people non-lethal weapons too for protection, taser, pepper spray, etc.

I agree with you on limits in built up areas, but purely from risk management in case of fire, everything else I think this is a naive view of things.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2017, 10:46 pm

I don't feel safe living in a country that won't let ME take care of my own defence . if I had the money

I would rather live and die in a country that gives me this basic right than live here .

I even seen a CA segment the other night where the cop stated that when being carjacked if you fight

back to tri and keep your own property you will be charged also .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Feb 2017, 10:51 pm

duncan61 wrote:O.K.people the ammo restriction was always there but is very generous,Stop acting like its the end of the world.I have 300+ 7mm rem 400+ .243 300+ .222 1000+ 22LR and assorted shotgun ammo.I remember something like you could have 5000 LR and a 1000 each centrefire calibre If we bleat about the non essential stuff we wont be taken seriously on real issues.It is wise policy not to let an Individual person possibly living in a city or suburban area to have a massive arsenal and enough ammo to supply a small army.Public safety is paramount and I do not feel safe living in a country where anyone can have a concealable handgun that they bought at a corner store and catch public transport.I see enough drama on buses and trains without having to worry if they have a lethal weapon.I have never owned a handgun yet apart from military training I have shot blackpowder 45 and several different modern handguns at various ranges over the years.If you really wish to do the cowboy stuff and target shooting you go through the process cos you are serious and wish to do it then you are entrusted with the handguns you need/want and have a good understanding of the responsibility of owning a handgun.Feel free to comment this is a public forum and its only my opinion

I hear what you are saying Duncan61. The main issue that i have is the constant erosion of our rights. As you say no one person should have a large amout of ammo lying around. Who cares if some halfwit comes in and steals it, its still obtained by nutters that dont have a licence does it mean the we enabled them to do something silly? 10 rounds or 2000 he can only shoot one at a time.

I do agree that public saftey is paramount and we all do our thing to abide by strict conditions that we as shooters have to abide by. In regards to your comments relating to handguns how does that have anything to do with licensed shooters? I recently asked my local fedral member the same question one that he wouldn't answer.

What further restrictions placed on licenced shooters do to stop criminals from getting thier hands on a gun? None just look at the Gold coast Ephrim Island the last drug raid they found a drum fed semi auto shotgun similar to a aa12, never been able to legally get one of them here, the police shut down a gang making pistols at Burleigh heads.

Where there is a will there is a way. There is little that government can do to stop the criminal networks until they actively target them and stop using the licenced shooters as a scapegoat for a easy headline.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2017, 11:51 pm

The small army comment was a reason given to me by a policeman why they get nervous when someone wishes to possess a lot of rifles in the same chambering.About 3 is O.K.For example you may have a dedicated target rifle in .243 and a lever scrub gun and the first bolt action you ever had but if you want another it starts to raise eyebrows as you could hand them out and everyone is armed in the same chambering.This is direct from the police I was dealing with at the time.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2017, 12:21 am

My hand gun point was even here in W.A.we have ranges you can go put a reasonable amount of money down less than a $100 and have a go with all sorts of handguns with a bit of safety training.My buddy in Thailand was banging away with a desert eagle recently for about $20 AUD.Lets be aware if you wish to get a handgun you can by following the steps required .The nightclub violence scenario is a bit like cars kill more people than sharks but being actively predated on in the water is not the same as being squashed in a metal box on the road.I have plagiarised that opinion as over here we have a lot of white pointer fatalities right where I live but the do gooders say we should not hurt the sharks and stay out the water.I say harvest the big bastards in the metro area and eat them.Even a 2000 lb white is edible as they are mainly in the south and do not build up the mercury the big sharks up north do.If we cull 20 big whites and it saves one person from being killed is it worth it????.There are still a gazillion of them in the bight.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2017, 12:51 am

Staying on subject I have completely read the NFA and feel it is fair from both sides.Whats 28 days in a life time it is purely a cooling off period.I recently licensed 3 firearms and it took longer than that . If the government declared that all firearms had to be handed in that would be outrageous.Dare I mention semi autos.I dont have all the data but all the roo shooters I have ever known use bolt actions.I am aware of 3 incidents of fatalities that would not of occurred if the firearm in question was not a semi auto.All when climbing fences and handing rifles over.If you lift the handle on a bolt action it can not fire.When pro shooting I never had the safety on always had the bolt up till ready and the rifle sits in mounts on the dash.It gets put out the window the bolt is closed and target acquired and dropped all in one smooth operation less than 3 seconds or it will probably hop off.I have owned a semi auto shotgun and a 22LR that sometimes fired 2 or more times on occasion.Hunting is all about stalking and taking down your quarry with a well placed humane shot with a suitable calibre.Again its only my opinion
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 19 Feb 2017, 1:55 am

duncan61 wrote:Staying on subject I have completely read the NFA and feel it is fair from both sides.Whats 28 days in a life time it is purely a cooling off period.I recently licensed 3 firearms and it took longer than that . If the government declared that all firearms had to be handed in that would be outrageous.Dare I mention semi autos.I dont have all the data but all the roo shooters I have ever known use bolt actions.I am aware of 3 incidents of fatalities that would not of occurred if the firearm in question was not a semi auto.All when climbing fences and handing rifles over.If you lift the handle on a bolt action it can not fire.When pro shooting I never had the safety on always had the bolt up till ready and the rifle sits in mounts on the dash.It gets put out the window the bolt is closed and target acquired and dropped all in one smooth operation less than 3 seconds or it will probably hop off.I have owned a semi auto shotgun and a 22LR that sometimes fired 2 or more times on occasion.Hunting is all about stalking and taking down your quarry with a well placed humane shot with a suitable calibre.Again its only my opinion

duncan61 don't take this to personally but the only time I need a cooling off period is when I read something like you post

the insinuation that I need a cooling off period for buying a fire arm is not only insulting it is down right disgusting .

the fact that they want you to wait even if you already have a fire arm is at best a joke as if a cooling off period was needed

well then they should come and take the others while you cool off .

and as for your semi comment's re fatalities this may sound harsh but who cares it is no different than some one choosing

to ride a motor bike you are 10 times more likely to die on one of them that a car it is all about the choice you make .

cheers D

EDIT there is nothing fair in that report what would be fair is they leave us alone and get after the pricks that neither have

a licence or the brains to live in a decent society .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics