Citizen kills man attacking a Florida police officer

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Citizen kills man attacking a Florida police officer

Post by Corn » 18 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadge ... 08846bdf77

This man has been hailed a hero.
I'd like to know your thoughts on this situation.

Cheers
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Citizen kills man attacking a Florida police officer

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

Sounds like he saved the police officers life and ol mate with the gun to the head of the officer was probably wanting to die I'd say! Got his wish by the looks of it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

in Aus?..... murder charges.... handcuffs, you name it.... human right of the perp and stuff...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by deye243 » 18 Mar 2017, 11:23 pm

over there yep he did right but here I would just look for cover and let the gubberment fix it
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 19 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

it has been reported the police officer was yelling for the good samatin to shoot the assailant. seems the shooter was just carrying out a lawful instruction from a police officer. wouldn't it be an offence not to.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 19 Mar 2017, 8:20 pm

what kill someone that a cop tells you too...... I don't think so .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 19 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

in this case, it was justified,

its not like he was being asked to assassinate someone for no reason. hence the "lawful instruction"
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 19 Mar 2017, 9:03 pm

Ed9362 wrote:it has been reported the police officer was yelling for the good samatin to shoot the assailant. seems the shooter was just carrying out a lawful instruction from a police officer. wouldn't it be an offence not to.

I'm not sure if it would be an offense not to,,,, But If you are, In my understanding following a lawful request to act,then as an untrained individual you are immune to prosecution for following such a request... I may well be wrong but, My understanding is that it is on the officers head to ensure such commands to be lawful and he surely is not expected to be able to know your compliant reaction (even if it would be generally considered excessive ) .. As I said I could be wrong ? Just my understanding ?

Happy to be corrected , and to not comply to such requests, should I be wrong :?:

:unknown:
Last edited by darwindingo on 20 Mar 2017, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 20 Mar 2017, 6:37 am

I'm sure the shooter is hailed a hero in the U.S.

Basic self defence premise in Aust (Tas & Vic for certain) is that lethal force can be used to defend yourself or another from lethal threat. The law is very clear on this.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 20 Mar 2017, 9:15 am

Gwion wrote:I'm sure the shooter is hailed a hero in the U.S.

Basic self defence premise in Aust (Tas & Vic for certain) is that lethal force can be used to defend yourself or another from lethal threat. The law is very clear on this.

I believe this is correct. .I think it comes under justifiable homicide
:thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 20 Mar 2017, 9:20 am

From what i saw of that vid is was eaither the cops life or the bloke on top smashing his skull in, depending on what state it was in it was perfectly justifiable by law, you don't mess with cops and get away with it over there, so much different to here
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Title_II » 20 Mar 2017, 9:21 am

A few years ago I drove by a dirt lot and there was an 18 wheeler parked and a cop car. And two really, really sketchy dudes with the top halves of their bodies inside the driver and passenger windows of the cop car. Oh no you don't!

I turned around and pulled in, stopped in front of the cop car. So I could see inside the windshield and shoot them without shooting the cop. I yelled at the cop if everything was OK. He actually seemed kind of annoyed when he responded. It seemed like he might have been showing them a map or something. Why they had to be up to their ass inside his windows I don't know, but I guess that's his business.

Reminds me of another story. I'm driving down the road and I see a man and a woman on the sidewalk on the other side of the road. The man is trying to pull the woman's purse away from her, then he punches her a few times and knocks her on the ground. Oh no you don't!

There is a median in the middle of the road so I have to drive a bit to turn around. By the time I get back they are kissing. Had I got back 30 seconds earlier and tried to intervene they no doubt both would have attacked me.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 20 Mar 2017, 9:27 am

And that concludes this installment of The Adventures of Title_II - The superhero that overreacts and sticks his nose in where it does not belong...
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Ed9362 » 20 Mar 2017, 3:04 pm

Title_II wrote:And that concludes this installment of The Adventures of Title_II - The superhero that overreacts and sticks his nose in where it does not belong...

Better than the douche bags that just whip out their phone and record the event, I believe the incident we are talking about there were 3 or 4 people recording yet no one thought to call 911. It's a sick world we live in These days
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 20 Mar 2017, 3:41 pm

When I got my carry permit years ago I was specifically told that the permit does not make me "John Law Jr.". The stated purpose of carrying a gun was to protect myself, close family members, friends, and co-workers from either deadly attack or threat from serious injury. Of course those are the stated reasons, but as in the case in Florida, and the earlier one in Arizona, there are times to go outside of the stated parameters.

However, I don't know what would happen to the "Armed Good Samaritan" in anti-gun States like New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and California. Or in cities that are controlled by anti-gun politicians.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 20 Mar 2017, 4:34 pm

I do the right thing. I'll be dead in a few decades anyway. If I am lucky. I've been blown apart and used 8 of my 9 lives, so I'm living on borrowed time. And no one will remember me in 100 years. I'm not going to watch someone be victimized without a fight. The sketchy part is going into a situation you don't understand. A cop with a gun to his head is pretty straight forward, not a lot of concern about a misunderstanding on that one..
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AusTac » 20 Mar 2017, 4:58 pm

Title_II wrote:And that concludes this installment of The Adventures of Title_II - The superhero that overreacts and sticks his nose in where it does not belong...

:lol: you don't want to live with the regret knowing you could have saved a life had you just thought twice or gone back, asked a question etc
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by doc » 23 Mar 2017, 4:58 pm

Corn wrote:http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/smartphone-footage-shows-a-hero-citizen-shooting-and-killing-a-man-attacking-a-police-officer/news-story/c18fa5d7d1b2a846b7f35008846bdf77

This man has been hailed a hero.
I'd like to know your thoughts on this situation.

Cheers

My thoughts are that I don't envy the man in this situation. The thought of taking someones life makes me sick - however if I was in the same situation and also CC'd - I would probably end up making the same choice.

I'm sure that many would point out (from the comfort of their living room with time to ponder) that there may have been other non-lethal options. Couldn't the good Samaritan have pulled him off the cop and then you'd have 2 vs 1, etc. Or grabbed the tire lever from the boot and whacked him with that a few times to get him off, or done a number of non-lethal options.

However the reality of it is that this person was getting the better of a cop, with intent to potentially kill him. No one had any idea if the guy on top may have had access to the police officers firearm, or had another weapon on him that was unknown. There was little time to act because each slam of the head into the road could be the fatal blow.

Mentally ill or not - innocent people come first in my mind - and I say what he did was fine and good.

The only thing I wonder about is whether the person needed to shoot 3 times - but in no way am I judging him. The position he was in, with no time to reflect, and potentially little to no training on the situation - I'm more than happy to hail him a hero, and I'd much rather my street full of people just like him living next to me as neighbors than a street full of people who care more about the dead perp.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Title_II » 23 Mar 2017, 5:05 pm

You shoot until there is no longer a threat. Pistols are not death rays. People can continue the fight after several hits, even dozens in some cases. Three shots is very reasonable. 15 is reasonable.

You are used to shooting animals with rifles, which is completely different than off-handing pistol rounds into somebody under severe stress with almost random distribution on the body.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 1:31 pm

The policeman was probably lucky the fellow could shoot, I'd be worried about someone shooting me instead of the bad-guy. Very easy to shoot badly with a handgun, especially under duress. ( Just ask the innocent bystanders at the Sydney shopping mall shot by stray bullets from the police. )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 24 Mar 2017, 3:55 pm

Anybody ever had an animal run after you hit it?

I bet it was standing still when you took the shot with the most accurate, deadly weapon that civilians normally use - The rifle.

Well, while it was running, it was the equivalent of somebody stabbing you or shooting back at you. If I shoot someone, and they die five minutes later, it doesn't matter to me while I'm pressing the trigger. What matters is whether or not they are shooting back at me during those five minutes. Whether or not they live or die matters later if I am still live.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Firearms related media and politics