Citizen kills man attacking a Florida police officer

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Citizen kills man attacking a Florida police officer

Post by Title_II » 23 Mar 2017, 5:05 pm

You shoot until there is no longer a threat. Pistols are not death rays. People can continue the fight after several hits, even dozens in some cases. Three shots is very reasonable. 15 is reasonable.

You are used to shooting animals with rifles, which is completely different than off-handing pistol rounds into somebody under severe stress with almost random distribution on the body.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 1:31 pm

The policeman was probably lucky the fellow could shoot, I'd be worried about someone shooting me instead of the bad-guy. Very easy to shoot badly with a handgun, especially under duress. ( Just ask the innocent bystanders at the Sydney shopping mall shot by stray bullets from the police. )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 24 Mar 2017, 3:55 pm

Anybody ever had an animal run after you hit it?

I bet it was standing still when you took the shot with the most accurate, deadly weapon that civilians normally use - The rifle.

Well, while it was running, it was the equivalent of somebody stabbing you or shooting back at you. If I shoot someone, and they die five minutes later, it doesn't matter to me while I'm pressing the trigger. What matters is whether or not they are shooting back at me during those five minutes. Whether or not they live or die matters later if I am still live.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Firearms related media and politics