Fighting Anti Gun

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Fighting Anti Gun

Post by doc » 23 May 2017, 9:56 am

I'm no lawyer, but as I read that, it seems to me it's forbidding the state government from making (as in minting) any currency other than coins based on gold and silver. (Which I would assume would hold the value of the gold or silver itself). This makes sense, as it's the federal government that mints money.

I don't see it has anything to do with the states not being able to raise funds.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: Fighting Anti Gun

Post by Jandamurra » 24 May 2017, 4:39 pm

@ Bullzeye and Doc

Section 119 of the Constitution Act states:
A State shall not coin money, nor make anything but gold and silver coin a legal tender in payment of debts.

It would certainly prohibit States from minting currency other than from coins based on gold and silver, but it can't only be that.
The wording says they can't make anything but gold and silver a payment for debts. Whatever is done by the Federal Government, right or wrong, is not the only issue. It's whether the States themselves accept anything other that gold or silver coin.
Requiring people to pay for licences or anything else electronically is not on. They do it because of the abysmally low level of knowledge of our Constitution in the wider community.
BTW, I'm not saying Constitution, Constitution, ra ra ra. let's all be super patriotic. I come at it from a very pragmatic angle that if something is supposed to be a certain way and it isn't. then let's get it up them!
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics