Michael Diamond - 10 year ban

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Michael Diamond - 10 year ban

Post by Supaduke » 06 May 2017, 7:59 am

Would this debate be happening if it was some unknown bogan and not an Olympic shooter. Sportsmen (doesn't seem to occur with sportswomen) get enough free passes in this country as it is.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 May 2017, 8:19 am

Nobody's perfect. Perhaps he'll move to the land of the free and continue shooting like a champ.
That shotgun probably lived in his car, there shouldn't be a law against that. After all there's already a law to stop people from stealing.

This whole saga has been a massive over reaction to what was a non-event.
If he had used his gun in the domestic I could understand.

He has fallen victim to our over the top FA laws.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 06 May 2017, 12:46 pm

In 2 minds about this. OK, Diamond apparently has a drinking problem and needs to clean it up but this licence cancelled (not suspended) stops him from earning a income etc.
I've read where many motor vehicle drivers have been caught driving pissed, convicted and disqualified from driving for x period of time. They have then applied to the courts for a "work Licence" to permit them to drive to and from work and continue earning a living. Naturally, this licences come with certain conditions.
Is there provision under the firearms acts for such a licence and if not, why not?

This cancellation of licence not only applies to the above but what about R licences holders, Pest Controllers etc.

QUOTE _ "Barrister Daniel McMahon asked for the magistrate to proceed without a conviction under section 10 following the guilty verdict.

He said his client would “effectively be without his professional career” and “without a capacity to earn a livelihood” because he had left school at the age of 12 to pursue professional shooting......etc

Read more at http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/la ... offence....

Cheers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 May 2017, 5:16 pm

Title. You have no idea of Australian syntax:
"You mates..." Is incorrect Australian English and signing off with "G'day" is just plain wrong. For future reference, "you blokes" is acceptable.

Should he lose his licence for 10 years? Maybe not.
Was he doing the wrong thing? Too bloody right he was!
Do we know if the firearm made an appearance in the 'domestic'? No, we don't.

And by the way, yes you have been brainwashed.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 06 May 2017, 6:54 pm

But signing off with "Hooroo" is good Australian English,

So Too-da-loo, see ya later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 06 May 2017, 9:11 pm

Gwion wrote:Title. You have no idea of Australian syntax:
"You mates..." Is incorrect Australian English and signing off with "G'day" is just plain wrong. For future reference, "you blokes" is acceptable.

Should he lose his licence for 10 years? Maybe not.
Was he doing the wrong thing? Too bloody right he was!
Do we know if the firearm made an appearance in the 'domestic'? No, we don't.

And by the way, yes you have been brainwashed.

In case you didn't notice, I bowed out so you could conduct your business within the confines (confinement?) of your own culture. So I consider this in bad taste.

If Liberty has brainwashed me, then what does that make you? Enlightened by totalitarianism, perhaps?

But I see you are from Tassy LOL. I do thank you for the tips on the syntax, it's pretty obvious I'm winging it :) I will certainly bow out at this point, you can say whatever you want about me but I don't want to overstay my welcome. Have no fear, I will be back in other threads to tick you off ;) j/k

G'Day

LOLOLOLOL
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 06 May 2017, 9:28 pm

Well, mate; I find it in poor taste to make sweeping statements about how our culture operates and then 'bow out' expecting that means what ever you have said to be accepted without comment.

You say we are all brainwashed but fail to see your own cultural indoctrination.

That will be all.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tiger650 » 06 May 2017, 11:17 pm

Title_II

Your comments were justified and most welcome, we appear to have indoctrinated fellow travelers [of plants] aboard who would disagree.

Michael Diamond did stupid but appearing before our "justice" system he was on a hiding to nothing, white male, prominent shooter etc, his behaviour had nothing to do with firearms or any threat of violence but his career has been ruined.

We have a serious crime wave with violent home invasions and carjackings etc, I invite the privates to dispute that.

We would have to cut the hands off the young recidivist offenders to end their careers, certainly our "justice" system appears incapable, the Magistracy is universally left wing and the Police beaten into politically correct compliance.

Then the bastards get their gums [they have no teeth] into a political undesirable like Diamond and a DUI charge finishes his career !

Check this out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-01/i ... ds/8485004

The above creature will not go to jail and will probably end up in a Public Service job, she is of a preferred gender and race and religion, to be protected at any cost.

The d**khead public servants who gave her the $400K should be demoted to cleaning staff but there is no accountability there, no need when money is free.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 07 May 2017, 12:55 am

Tiger650 wrote:Check this out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-01/i ... ds/8485004

The above creature will not go to jail and will probably end up in a Public Service job, she is of a preferred gender and race and religion, to be protected at any cost.

The d**khead public servants who gave her the $400K should be demoted to cleaning staff but there is no accountability there, no need when money is free.

Ya just know we're being fleeced by the 'language' of the 'media' when they come up with this from that article;..."rorted hundreds of thousands of dollars of government money..."

The Gov'nt don't have any $$...it was TAXPAYERS money fgds.... :evil:
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sebrule » 07 May 2017, 3:50 pm

The police found the firearm in his car and charged for handling a firearm while drunk. Come on really? This feeds the anti's and police. We don't know the full story was he with his brother and an argument happened. He grabbed his stuff through it into his car and drove home? He cant leave his guns at another house without himself.

I think it's just an agro cop. Didn't help he refused a breath test.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 07 May 2017, 4:06 pm

Refusing a breath test is the worst thing you can do. It is essentially an admission of guilt and you are charged the same as a high range reading.

Therefore you are , from a legal standpoint, wasted and driving around with a firearm and ammo.

This demonstrates contempt for the laws of the land. The LA part of LAFO is law abiding. I'm sorry Mick Diamond but you f@@ked up badly.

His punishment is well deserved. The circumstances of why he ended up behind the wheel is not relevant.

As an ambassador of the sport who has made money and gained fame from it , he should know better.

Some 'social commentator' making stupid remarks on Anzac Day has no bearing or relevance to this case.

Micheal Diamond broke the law in several ways, he was caught and he was punished.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 May 2017, 4:54 pm

The key point is that he is an ambassador for the shooting sports in general. Perhaps a 10 year cancellation is a bit over the top but he has certainly done us all a huge dis-service with his actions.
As above, he knows the laws and flaunted them. There is no excuse. Disagreeing with laws and working to change them is all well and good. Ignoring them when you are one of the most prominent proponents of a related sport is just plain stupid and sets a very bad example. Kind'a like Craig Lowndes doing circle work in some back street with no seat belt and a dozen beers in him.

You might say i'm feeding the antis and police by making these statements but i will turn it right back on you and say that you are feeding the anti gun lobby by publicly supporting and excusing illegal and irresponsible behaviour. You don't change laws by breaking them and then complaining about the consequences; you change them by abiding by them and putting forward reasonable and real arguments for why they are unjust, putting forward workable alternatives and building public support.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sebrule » 08 May 2017, 10:24 am

Even if you "agree" that he did the wrong thing. If you crash while drunk and kill someone most of the time the manslaughter conversation will get you 3-7 years then you are free again.

If he was a politician he would have got nothing more then a go to aa and a very small drivers license suspension.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 08 May 2017, 12:50 pm

1. I wonder what it would be if it was a uncased cricket bat on the back seat and a few balls rolling around the floor?
2. Can he lodge an appeal over the severity of the sentence?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by doc » 10 May 2017, 1:16 pm

Title - I admit that your comment here was a bit of a wake up call for me. Initially I was in one mind on what has happened here, but after considering your thoughts - I now have two minds about the matter.

As a LAFO - we struggle enough against the anti's, grabbers and media as it is - we don't need foolish acts like this undermining what we still have available to us.

From a selfish point of view - I can say that in some ways I was glad he's out of the picture for 10 years. Not from a justice point of view (as I believe it's over the top after reconsidering your post) but moreso because he has reflected poorly on the rest of us multiple times in what is a hostile environment against the average law abiding firearm owner. The rest of us don't need this set as an example, nor the publicity. Knowing that we are a target, stuff like this only gives the 'other side' more fuel to attack us with, which is not appreciated. In many ways I hate this - but it's conditioning of a situation that we have found ourselves in.

On the other side - as you (and others) have indicated - this has been blown out of proportions and likewise, the punishment is well out of proportions. It's not justice - it's an attack against firearm owners, and I didn't even see the effects it had on my opnions until reading your post from a different point of view - so thanks. :drinks:

Just look on this and be thankful for the freedom's and liberties that you still have there in the States!
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 May 2017, 4:25 pm

I Know its bad,
But there is always an excuse,"the devil made me do it"."God made me do it","Drinking made me do it".
s**t if you ask my Dr he will probably say I got a drinking problem and probably half of Australia's working class has a
drinking problem,but that doesn't mean I jump in my car when I am drunk and drive it around with a gun in the back.
People have to start taking responsibility for their actions.

Problem is these high profile Sports people think they can get away with it,probably because they see these NRL
nutbags getting away with it.But the truth is Michael should have known better than anyone the consequences
of his actions.Especially the second time around.If you want to be stupid do it to yourself don't drag the sport down.
Because all these F&&king do gooders need is just one bad example they can stretch out forever.

F&&k I would have given the idiot a 20 year ban just for the damage he has now done to the sport for everyone. :|
Member-Deleted

Post by Fionn » 07 Jan 2024, 8:22 pm

Shooting gold medallist Michael Diamond's gun ban upheld, dashing hopes for 2024 Paris Olympic qualifiers.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-07/ ... /103291458
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics