4 corners, illegal glocks...... Tonight!

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: 4 corners, illegal glocks...... Tonight!

Post by WatchyShooter » 15 May 2017, 5:48 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:They might mention Sylvania tonight perhaps porcine animals have become aerodynamic.

Could be worth recording and uploading to YouTube, I cant do that I will be out tonight.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-15/f ... wn/8526592

It'll be uploaded on their site, but from the read of this article for tonight it seems like there sticking to the real issue, ILLEGAL firearms, and making a good distinction, just have to watch to see if like some say they try and slip something anti-all-guns I. It
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by albat » 15 May 2017, 6:01 pm

The preview clip i saw was a copper stating a a glock was the quote " ferrari of handguns" at that point in time i deduced that clearly it was a big waffle
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2017, 9:23 pm

The bits i pretty much took away from that are, therez heaps of guns, of all flavours, we have no idea how many there is or where they are only when they've been used in a crime, and we're trying but its not our fault it's " X's " fault, but jesus bloody christ theres some crazy s**t on the streets, did you happen to catch that fella at the end? Loved the way he was handling a live firearm :shock:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by WatchyShooter » 15 May 2017, 9:58 pm

AusTac wrote:The bits i pretty much took away from that are, therez heaps of guns, of all flavours, we have no idea how many there is or where they are only when they've been used in a crime, and we're trying but its not our fault it's " X's " fault, but jesus bloody christ theres some crazy s**t on the streets, did you happen to catch that fella at the end? Loved the way he was handling a live firearm :shock:

That slide release :P
But I'll admit, it was better then I thought, didn't inch close to the semi ban and stuck to the facts, that border force and police need more resources and better technology to combat the illegal firearms, some of that might come from relaxing laws to focus on the real criminals but that's for another episode I think ;)
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2017, 10:02 pm

I hate how political i've become! :( i used to just like shooin' guns and now i'm all like fkn greens, lefty tards n' sh$t, i think i need to go for a shoot this weekend lol
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by WatchyShooter » 15 May 2017, 10:12 pm

AusTac wrote:I hate how political i've become! :( i used to just like shooin' guns and now i'm all like fkn greens, lefty tards n' sh$t, i think i need to go for a shoot this weekend lol

In this day and age, young or old we gotta stick our heads up, pay attention and make sure our voices are herd, otherwise we end up having nothing on the weekends and after getting all political :D
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 16 May 2017, 8:40 am

glock a ferrari more like a pick up a ugly gun that works and if any one has one they are fine i just am not a big fan of them i never have been.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 16 May 2017, 10:01 am

Well. I just watched it and, aside from a brief portion with some reporter looking scared of a cop practicing at an indoor range, it was all focused on the illegal import of firearms feeding a growing "gangstar" culture. They even went to efforts to point out how ineffectual and basically inept the customs/boarder force and policing system are in Australia. The German dealer that some of these Glocks came from actually contacted AUS authorities due to being suspicious of the importers and was given such a run around that he stopped trying to verify the legitimacy of the imports.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 16 May 2017, 10:13 am

Similarly, says a licensed gun dealer, there was little publicity about a consignment of Glock semi-automatic pistols that went missing in transit in Sydney a few years ago. Ordered for the NSW police, they had ''NSW'' stamped on the butt - which was why dealers and police nation-wide were asked to quietly check for the prefix on any Glocks they saw.

How many? ''It was hush-hush. I have heard figures as high as 1000, but it was probably more than 200,'' says the dealer.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/where-ar ... -ecy3.html
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by coroboreeboy » 16 May 2017, 11:58 am

"Ferrari of Pistols"? : cheap, reliable, simple: not how you would normally describe a Ferrari. More like the "vw beetle of pistols" or possibly the "Toyota ute of pistols"
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 16 May 2017, 1:34 pm

The Toyota Camry of pistols....

I think he is meaning that all the young gangstars want one... kind'a like a Ferrari.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 16 May 2017, 6:45 pm

I actually thought (except for the ominous music every time they showed a pistol) that it wasn't a bad show really. Made it pretty clear that the issue was 100% to do with actual genuine criminals, not firearms owners generally. This one is a pretty straight story - criminal does something blatantly illegal and sells the guns to other criminals, who use them in serious crimes. Ordinary shooters didn't really get a mention (as should be the case because it's nothing to do with us).

They did point out that statistic you hear from time to time that there are more guns in Australia now than there were before the buyback, but, one, that's basically a straight out fact and more importantly, unlike is usually the case when people quote that, they didn't point it out in a really negative way.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 16 May 2017, 9:46 pm

I laughed when they referred to the cops Glock 40 as extremely high powered, they only got the 40 cause they couldn't handle the 10mm.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 17 May 2017, 8:32 am

bentaz wrote:Not being a pistol guy i went and googled .40 vs 10mm and found this, lol!
images (1).jpg

Awesome, pretty well sums it up, the Glock 40 MOS 10mm is one of my favourites to shoot.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jandamurra » 18 May 2017, 4:35 pm

bentaz wrote:They were talking about illegal import, crime syndicates and stuff

Yes but will they spin it to include LAFO's as far as possible?
@ Gwion too-Sorry, mate, but if they succeed at converting any fence sitters it will only be by going so overboard they provoke sympathy for gun owners.
This is "our" ABC we're talking about.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Jandamurra » 18 May 2017, 4:41 pm

Gwion wrote:There have been a couple of (ok, i won't say positive) neutral stories on the ABC re: shooting in the last couple of years. One about farmer assist and controlling feral dogs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52rfS6RgcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHrIpQlbIIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqxMznwbhI

This amazing comment first beneath this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqxMznwbhI -
you guys should have 24/7 access to your national parks. It works in NZ, why not aussie?[
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 19 May 2017, 7:57 am

Jandamurra wrote:

@ Gwion too-Sorry, mate, but if they succeed at converting any fence sitters it will only be by going so overboard they provoke sympathy for gun owners.

Err. No. Wrong on both counts. Watch the article on iview.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bullzeye » 19 May 2017, 2:20 pm

Was an interesting story, but no real bagging of lawful firearms owners. The culture is slowly changing?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 20 May 2017, 6:36 pm

Glock 18 1200rpm looked like a blast hope the crims are'nt rockin those bad boys
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jandamurra » 24 May 2017, 4:03 pm

Gwion wrote:
Jandamurra wrote:

At the time I wrote this, we only had access to the trailer, not the report itself which had yet to be broadcast at the time this thread was started. That was my understanding.
If they didn't do this in the report itself, then that's good.
I haven't seen the story itself, but the thread started with the trailer, so it was a fair guess on my part that they'd drag honest shooters through the mud.
I'm quite glad to be proven wrong on this.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 24 May 2017, 5:17 pm

Jandamurra wrote:
Gwion wrote:
Jandamurra wrote:

At the time I wrote this, we only had access to the trailer, not the report itself which had yet to be broadcast at the time this thread was started. That was my understanding.
If they didn't do this in the report itself, then that's good.
I haven't seen the story itself, but the thread started with the trailer, so it was a fair guess on my part that they'd drag honest shooters through the mud.
I'm quite glad to be proven wrong on this.

At the time you wrote this I had already watched the whole article on I-view.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 25 May 2017, 9:31 am

Watched it this morning in iview. Typical 4corners dramatization, complete with spooky music. Nothing new in that report. Big shame was including Philip Alpers and presenting his unfounded claims as if he was some type of expert.

From what the customs were saying I'd have to guess real number of smuggled guns is far greater than the official estimate.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 25 May 2017, 12:54 pm

Then with drugs come the associated drug/gang land wars which is why Melbourne is seemingly getting shot to peices every night and day
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by LurchUSA » 09 Jun 2017, 4:57 am

AusTac wrote:I can see it now,

Guns are bad
These guns came from licensed shooters on the gray market
Port arthur, port arthur
Guns are bad

I find it laughable that the main stream media keeps going to their old stand-by argument... "Port Arthur"... that was like 20 years ago?

I am surprised there are any journalists still working, that were around when Port Arthur happened. Then again... they will NEVER let us forget!

Hundreds of years in the future, in a dystopian post apocalyptic world, Savannah Nix tells the story of the past to her tribe...

"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members... Port Authur!"
LurchUSA
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics