4 corners, illegal glocks...... Tonight!

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: 4 corners, illegal glocks...... Tonight!

Post by Gwion » 15 May 2017, 9:07 am

Will be interesting to see what their take on it all is.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2017, 9:36 am

I can see it now,

Guns are bad
These guns came from licensed shooters on the gray market
Port arthur, port arthur
Guns are bad
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 15 May 2017, 10:14 am

I hoping not. With any luck a few facts are thrown about that help the public perception of firearms owners.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 15 May 2017, 10:18 am

It would be nice if that happens Gwion, but we are talking about the Australian media here. "Don't let the facts get in the way" is their SOP.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 15 May 2017, 10:18 am

Gwion wrote:I hoping not. With any luck a few facts are thrown about that help the public perception of firearms owners.

Has the ABC changed and no one told us?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 May 2017, 10:37 am

There have been a couple of (ok, i won't say positive) neutral stories on the ABC re: shooting in the last couple of years. One about farmer assist and controlling feral dogs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52rfS6RgcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHrIpQlbIIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqxMznwbhI
Last edited by Gwion on 15 May 2017, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 15 May 2017, 10:43 am

The one about foxes has a bit of distorted info about the introduction of foxes (they say, 'introduced by hunters' when in fact it was an introduction sanctioned by the government of the day through the 'Victorian Acclimatisation Society') but in general they are pretty neutral and go to show the importance of shooters in rural areas.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 May 2017, 10:56 am

AusTac wrote:I can see it now,

Guns are bad
These guns came from licensed shooters on the gray market
Port arthur, port arthur
Guns are bad

Yes I'd imagine it will be something along those lines and no one needs handguns or firearms in general etc etc, the usual wank from the GayBC
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2017, 11:42 am

Seems to be all about the illegal importation then an attack on legitimate sporting shooters.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2017/05/15/4667550.htm
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 May 2017, 11:48 am

Just as i hoped. Good to hear. Will have to watch it.

Might actually shift some fence sitters in our direction re: controlling/targeting the criminal activity and not just harassing legal & responsible gun owners.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by WatchyShooter » 15 May 2017, 11:58 am

bentaz wrote:They were talking about illegal import, crime syndicates and stuff

Yeah looks like there going to go the correct route and actually report the facts. But be careful
Remember
On 19 June 2014, the Senate referred the following matter to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report by 2 October 2014:
The ability of Australian law enforcement authorities to eliminate gun- related violence in the community, with reference to:
(a) the estimated number, distribution and lethality of illegal guns, including both outlawed and stolen guns, in Australia;
(b) the operation and consequences of the illicit firearms trade, including both outlawed and stolen guns within Australia;
(c) the adequacy of current laws and resourcing to enable law enforcement authorities to respond to technological advances in gun technology, including firearms made from parts which have been imported separately or covertly to avoid detection, and firearms made with the use of 3D printers;
(d) the extent to which the number and types of guns stolen each year in Australia increase the risk posed to the safety of police and the community, including the proportion of gun-related crime involving legal firearms which are illegally held;
(e) the effect banning semi-automatic handguns would have on the number of illegally held firearms in Australia;

That last one is important, as if it comes up tonight, the government already has an answer from there own report

Banning semi-automatic handguns
1.188 No evidence was received that banning semi-automatic handguns would have a material effect on the number of illegally held firearms in Australia or the level of gun violence. The relatively small number of handguns stolen each year, of which only a portion are semi-automatics, suggests a complete ban would make no difference to gun violence. Evidence was received that a ban on semi-automatic handguns would have a significant effect on sporting shooters including Olympic and Commonwealth Games participants.175

Here's the full report http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus ... Report/d01

That's one of the many recommendations that was made
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 May 2017, 12:19 pm

I won't be watching it - can't stand the dramatisation of everything these days when it comes to firearms ownership/use/abuse etc, it's all been said a million times over now so can't imagine anything new and meaningful will come out of this show either.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 May 2017, 2:13 pm

I wonder if Sylvania post office will get a mention for illegally importing over 200 Glocks.

Not many models of Glock meet the minimum barrel length requirement to be sold here for Cat H target shooting.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 15 May 2017, 2:52 pm

Already heard on ABC radio about 130 Glocks were illegally imported. Only about 25 have ever been recovered and police acknowledge that most of the drive byes and firearm killings are a result of these firearms.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2017, 3:10 pm

Illegally imported by who? I want one! ( jokes )
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 May 2017, 3:16 pm

colinbentley wrote:Already heard on ABC radio about 130 Glocks were illegally imported.

Does anyone expect the media to get their story straight on how many Glocks Sylvania post office brought in?

The Police said 220 here I guess they will try to reduce that number anyway they can.

www.smh.com.au/nsw/post-office-smugglin ... 1uz1j.html
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sebrule » 15 May 2017, 3:42 pm

Police and abc do a firearm story with truth and facts. I'll like to see that. I'll bet that it has a quick mention of either port Arthur or the uni shooting. Will dribble a bit about illegal importing. Then a quick "firearm expert" saying we don't need handguns in Australia.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 May 2017, 5:14 pm

They might mention Sylvania tonight perhaps porcine animals have become aerodynamic.

Could be worth recording and uploading to YouTube, I cant do that I will be out tonight.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-15/f ... wn/8526592
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by WatchyShooter » 15 May 2017, 5:48 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:They might mention Sylvania tonight perhaps porcine animals have become aerodynamic.

Could be worth recording and uploading to YouTube, I cant do that I will be out tonight.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-15/f ... wn/8526592

It'll be uploaded on their site, but from the read of this article for tonight it seems like there sticking to the real issue, ILLEGAL firearms, and making a good distinction, just have to watch to see if like some say they try and slip something anti-all-guns I. It
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by albat » 15 May 2017, 6:01 pm

The preview clip i saw was a copper stating a a glock was the quote " ferrari of handguns" at that point in time i deduced that clearly it was a big waffle
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2017, 9:23 pm

The bits i pretty much took away from that are, therez heaps of guns, of all flavours, we have no idea how many there is or where they are only when they've been used in a crime, and we're trying but its not our fault it's " X's " fault, but jesus bloody christ theres some crazy s**t on the streets, did you happen to catch that fella at the end? Loved the way he was handling a live firearm :shock:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by WatchyShooter » 15 May 2017, 9:58 pm

AusTac wrote:The bits i pretty much took away from that are, therez heaps of guns, of all flavours, we have no idea how many there is or where they are only when they've been used in a crime, and we're trying but its not our fault it's " X's " fault, but jesus bloody christ theres some crazy s**t on the streets, did you happen to catch that fella at the end? Loved the way he was handling a live firearm :shock:

That slide release :P
But I'll admit, it was better then I thought, didn't inch close to the semi ban and stuck to the facts, that border force and police need more resources and better technology to combat the illegal firearms, some of that might come from relaxing laws to focus on the real criminals but that's for another episode I think ;)
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2017, 10:02 pm

I hate how political i've become! :( i used to just like shooin' guns and now i'm all like fkn greens, lefty tards n' sh$t, i think i need to go for a shoot this weekend lol
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by WatchyShooter » 15 May 2017, 10:12 pm

AusTac wrote:I hate how political i've become! :( i used to just like shooin' guns and now i'm all like fkn greens, lefty tards n' sh$t, i think i need to go for a shoot this weekend lol

In this day and age, young or old we gotta stick our heads up, pay attention and make sure our voices are herd, otherwise we end up having nothing on the weekends and after getting all political :D
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 16 May 2017, 8:40 am

glock a ferrari more like a pick up a ugly gun that works and if any one has one they are fine i just am not a big fan of them i never have been.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 16 May 2017, 10:01 am

Well. I just watched it and, aside from a brief portion with some reporter looking scared of a cop practicing at an indoor range, it was all focused on the illegal import of firearms feeding a growing "gangstar" culture. They even went to efforts to point out how ineffectual and basically inept the customs/boarder force and policing system are in Australia. The German dealer that some of these Glocks came from actually contacted AUS authorities due to being suspicious of the importers and was given such a run around that he stopped trying to verify the legitimacy of the imports.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 16 May 2017, 10:13 am

Similarly, says a licensed gun dealer, there was little publicity about a consignment of Glock semi-automatic pistols that went missing in transit in Sydney a few years ago. Ordered for the NSW police, they had ''NSW'' stamped on the butt - which was why dealers and police nation-wide were asked to quietly check for the prefix on any Glocks they saw.

How many? ''It was hush-hush. I have heard figures as high as 1000, but it was probably more than 200,'' says the dealer.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/where-ar ... -ecy3.html
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by coroboreeboy » 16 May 2017, 11:58 am

"Ferrari of Pistols"? : cheap, reliable, simple: not how you would normally describe a Ferrari. More like the "vw beetle of pistols" or possibly the "Toyota ute of pistols"
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 16 May 2017, 1:34 pm

The Toyota Camry of pistols....

I think he is meaning that all the young gangstars want one... kind'a like a Ferrari.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 16 May 2017, 6:45 pm

I actually thought (except for the ominous music every time they showed a pistol) that it wasn't a bad show really. Made it pretty clear that the issue was 100% to do with actual genuine criminals, not firearms owners generally. This one is a pretty straight story - criminal does something blatantly illegal and sells the guns to other criminals, who use them in serious crimes. Ordinary shooters didn't really get a mention (as should be the case because it's nothing to do with us).

They did point out that statistic you hear from time to time that there are more guns in Australia now than there were before the buyback, but, one, that's basically a straight out fact and more importantly, unlike is usually the case when people quote that, they didn't point it out in a really negative way.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics