All quiet on the western front?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: All quiet on the western front?

Post by Jandamurra » 18 Jul 2017, 3:14 pm

Unfortunately, there'll always be some story or other about someone handing in a dozen guns in a nationwide amnesty that the anti's can hype up.
It's not all doom and gloom though.
I'd like to know is if a person, LAFO or not, hands in guns, how do we they still don't have one or two off the books? The number of firearms handed in in 1997 was very low relative to the government's own data,
This is an article from the SSAA- uncharacteristically hard-hitting and relevant from them- https://www.foaa.com.au/buy-back-statis ... d-in-1998/ .
I hope this amnesty is the failure the buyback was.
IMHO there's every reason to expect so.
If most guns weren't surrendered or registered back then, with all the hype and hysteria, how can the politicians and police hope to make a big dent in unregistered gun numbers now?
Getting in one more quick thing in this post, I don't believe they'll relax any gun laws after an amnesty if they consider it a success. Far from it.
If enough guns are handed in that the police and government have something to gloat about-I doubt it but if-then they'll introduce much tougher laws for the unregistered possession of guns and ammo.
Instead of a $700 fine or whatever it is, expect a few years in prison for keeping your pop's old duck gun and at least a few months for keeping ammo.
If the amnesty is a failure, which I am fortunately quite sure will be the case, they won't dare do this.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Firearms related media and politics