Firearms Owners United Now a not-for-profit organisation.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Firearms Owners United Now a not-for-profit organisation.

Post by WatchyShooter » 30 Jul 2017, 3:41 pm

Really good to see, the guys at FOU have made amazing strides in their short time, from already having recommendations accepted by various committees and making various recommendations when able to.

They’ve been featured in the media, papers and their online presence is undeniably massive.

http://www.firearmownersunited.com/membership/

I highly suggest you show your support if possible, even just a like on the Facebook page goes a long way, the more they can advocate for all shooters the more weight they will carry.
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Firearms Owners United Now a not-for-profit organisation

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 4:22 pm

WatchyShooter wrote:Really good to see, the guys at FOU have made amazing strides in their short time, from already having recommendations accepted by various committees and making various recommendations when able to.

They’ve been featured in the media, papers and their online presence is undeniably massive.

http://www.firearmownersunited.com/membership/

I highly suggest you show your support if possible, even just a like on the Facebook page goes a long way, the more they can advocate for all shooters the more weight they will carry.

I signed up as soon as the message hit my FB feed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9line » 02 Aug 2017, 1:29 pm

Very solid, no-nonsense website these blokes have. I'm a fan.

I was looking for an excuse to drop the SSAA too...
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 15 Aug 2017, 2:46 pm

It seems like there has been a bit of an exodus from the SSAA over the last year or 2, judging my comments I have seen around the net and on Facebook etc.

Just my own observations here so hardly fact, but I'd be curious to know how their membership numbers have gone over the last couple of years.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 9line » 15 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm

They're not doing themselves many favours with implementing bizarre rules like single load firing only at their ranges.
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimmyS » 15 Aug 2017, 7:53 pm

9line wrote:They're not doing themselves many favours with implementing bizarre rules like single load firing only at their ranges.

I was about to sign up, but your telling me they have rules like this?
Do you know if this is actually the case or just rumor? I can't understand why any range would want a rule and stupid as that.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2017, 7:59 pm

JimmyS wrote:
9line wrote:They're not doing themselves many favours with implementing bizarre rules like single load firing only at their ranges.

I was about to sign up, but your telling me they have rules like this?
Do you know if this is actually the case or just rumor? I can't understand why any range would want a rule and stupid as that.

I think it's a rule at some ranges (SSAA and otherwise), not a general SSAA range rule.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9line » 15 Aug 2017, 8:13 pm

There's threads here about it. I know Belmont and Ipswich are this way as well as two ranges in Sydney.
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Aug 2017, 10:38 pm

9line wrote:There's threads here about it. I know Belmont and Ipswich are this way as well as two ranges in Sydney.

Yeap. Ripley has it and no one can explain it. I reckon some twat that is a 'good bloke' had an issue and rather than dealing with his failure with him, they made it an issue of a rule and punished everyone rather than old mate.

if you can't safely use a rifle with a magazine on the range, you shouldn't be on the range. Making everyone single load doesn't deal with the problem.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 15 Aug 2017, 11:50 pm

Been to Ripley up the pistol yard luckily. That would s**t me to no end having to single feed the revolver or slide load a semi.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 16 Aug 2017, 5:20 am

Definitely not every SSAA range single loads.

My local doesnt, and its the dumbest crap I've evee heard
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Aug 2017, 8:42 am

The single load rule is applied at some ranges due to the fact that it is a lot easier to call a cease-fire and clear the line. "fire off your last shot", is a common range call just before a cease-fire. It allows the range officer to clear the line a lot quicker. "Hang on, I've still got x-rounds in the mag", just creates problems for the range officer.
If you require loading a magazine for testing purposes, i.e, making sure your u-beaut reload will actually cycle from the mag, a quick word with the range officer before-hand will usually result in permission being given. This usually only applies to long-arms. I've never heard of pistol ranges enforcing a one-shot rule.
The "one shot" rule does't apply if you are shooting in a competition that requires multiple shots or magazine loading.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by 9line » 16 Aug 2017, 11:14 am

Gamerancher wrote:The single load rule is applied at some ranges due to the fact that it is a lot easier to call a cease-fire and clear the line. "fire off your last shot", is a common range call just before a cease-fire. It allows the range officer to clear the line a lot quicker. "Hang on, I've still got x-rounds in the mag", just creates problems for the range officer.
If you require loading a magazine for testing purposes, i.e, making sure your u-beaut reload will actually cycle from the mag, a quick word with the range officer before-hand will usually result in permission being given. This usually only applies to long-arms. I've never heard of pistol ranges enforcing a one-shot rule.
The "one shot" rule does't apply if you are shooting in a competition that requires multiple shots or magazine loading.

Removing a mag from a rifle has been the first step of every clearance drill since they were invented.

It's an absurd, unnecessary rule that only serves to punish members.
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Aug 2017, 11:20 am

Not all mags are removable. Think lever-gun, blind-box, etc. Try running a range and you'll change your mind.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 16 Aug 2017, 11:31 am

Gamerancher wrote:Not all mags are removable. Think lever-gun, blind-box, etc. Try running a range and you'll change your mind.

I do and i disagree with you.

We tell when there is 5min to go. As they finish we check it. All must be checked by RO before being removed from the line and racked. Really not hard
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Aug 2017, 11:33 am

Just simply stating why some ranges do it mate, nothing more.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by 9line » 16 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Not all mags are removable. Think lever-gun, blind-box, etc. Try running a range and you'll change your mind.

Granted, I've only RO'ed military ranges. Perhaps I'm blind to the rigors and hardship of walking down a line of civilians and checking their breach.

If the NRMA said that in order to utilize their services you must wear a helmet while driving, would you?
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2017, 1:14 pm

9line wrote:If the NRMA said that in order to utilize their services you must wear a helmet while driving, would you?

I would. I think all road users should require helmets. Having spent a lifetime wearing them though it's not a big leap for me ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9line » 16 Aug 2017, 1:20 pm

Mate I don't even own a car. I have to borrow the missus' when I need to transport something that can't be balanced on a fuel tank, but watching Krystal in her Barina try to do her makeup through a visor on the way to work would be well worth it.
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics