Even the SSAA clubs are sick of how SSAA represents us :-)

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Even the SSAA clubs are sick of how SSAA represents us :

Post by duncan61 » 10 Aug 2017, 10:21 pm

Thanks for not taking it personal.You have made good points
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Archie » 11 Aug 2017, 11:08 am

For what its worth I've usually found the Sydney branch ranges generally pretty good and safety-conscious. Different branch and different state of course.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 11 Aug 2017, 1:40 pm

duncan61 wrote:Thanks for not taking it personal.You have made good points

no worries duncan, there was nothing you said that would be taken personal
we all have our way of looking at things
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 11 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

I go to eagle park every now and then only ever had good times . Check the zeros , shoot paper and the gongs then check all the rifles on the line .
I'm only a ssaa member because I like the magazine to be truthful !
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Aug 2017, 8:01 pm

Archie wrote:For what its worth I've usually found the Sydney branch ranges generally pretty good and safety-conscious. Different branch and different state of course.

Yes they have good ranges but nothing spoils a day at the range more than an over zealous range officer.
Shooting for about 40 years now and love getting treated like a f $$kg 5 year old especially at the St Mary's indoor range.
"Open the lever of the gun".
But it is.(3/4)
"No open it fully"
WTF. Little Gestapo pricks.
:|
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 15 Aug 2017, 5:12 pm

southwest shooter wrote:I go to eagle park every now and then only ever had good times . Check the zeros , shoot paper and the gongs then check all the rifles on the line .
I'm only a ssaa member because I like the magazine to be truthful !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 15 Aug 2017, 9:29 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
Archie wrote:For what its worth I've usually found the Sydney branch ranges generally pretty good and safety-conscious. Different branch and different state of course.

Yes they have good ranges but nothing spoils a day at the range more than an over zealous range officer.
Shooting for about 40 years now and love getting treated like a f $$kg 5 year old especially at the St Mary's indoor range.
"Open the lever of the gun".
But it is.(3/4)
"No open it fully"
WTF. Little Gestapo pricks.
:|

Ripley has a 'single shot rule' on the rifle range which no one can explain why when you have a pistol range 20m away where they have semi autos with 10 round mags, but using a bolt action with your magazine......oh nooooooooooooo. Rifles out of cases in the car park, no bags or cases! Pistols much remain cased until you are on the line. Shotgun range it appears anything goes. Nothing highlights dumb rules like inconsistency.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2017, 11:47 pm

I think that single round only comes from Target shooting where single feed seems to be the norm. As has been pointed out it's stupid when other forms of shooting can use fully loaded mags, anyway glad I don't have to worry about any of that crap anymore.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Smiley » 18 Aug 2017, 7:32 am

Having skimmed through this thread, I think I must belong to one of the best SSAA branches. We are a relatively small club in a rural area and don't have the political bs of larger branches.
We accommodate pistol, shotgun and rifle shooters (generally on different days), members pay $8 range fees and non members $16. You can stay there all day if you wish. We have many people who turn up just to muck around with thier own gear and nothing else.
We allow the use of magazines and muzzle brakes and you can shoot any calibre which fits in with our safety template. Paper targets are free, as is the use of our steel targets and loan of our front rests and rear bags. Once a month we have junior traning days, where we supply the kids with 50rds of ammo and tution for free. We are all volunteers.
We are Saturdays only though, some Sundays with prior arrangement with the land owner.
It's no wonder people keep coming back.

I do, however, have a reserved opinion of the state excutive on some topics.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Smiley wrote:Having skimmed through this thread, I think I must belong to one of the best SSAA branches. We are a relatively small club in a rural area and don't have the political bs of larger branches.
We accommodate pistol, shotgun and rifle shooters (generally on different days), members pay $8 range fees and non members $16. You can stay there all day if you wish. We have many people who turn up just to muck around with thier own gear and nothing else.
We allow the use of magazines and muzzle brakes and you can shoot any calibre which fits in with our safety template. Paper targets are free, as is the use of our steel targets and loan of our front rests and rear bags. Once a month we have junior traning days, where we supply the kids with 50rds of ammo and tution for free. We are all volunteers.
We are Saturdays only though, some Sundays with prior arrangement with the land owner.
It's no wonder people keep coming back.

I do, however, have a reserved opinion of the state excutive on some topics.

Sounds like Rocksberg - it would be the only SSAA Club I would join. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 18 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm

the single shot rule stops reloaders from function testing there magazines and firearms with the magazines that can lead to hazardous unlawful practices such as checking fit and function of reloaded ammunition at home,
ssaa little river were thinking of using single shot rule as there was an incident in the USA apparently where a customer opened fire on other customers before knocking himself, that is why they have the no magazines on benches during the cease fire rule, because you cant be trusted to not flip out, why do we need the anti's?
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 19 Aug 2017, 8:02 am

marksman wrote:the single shot rule stops reloaders from function testing there magazines and firearms with the magazines that can lead to hazardous unlawful practices such as checking fit and function of reloaded ammunition at home,
ssaa little river were thinking of using single shot rule as there was an incident in the USA apparently where a customer opened fire on other customers before knocking himself, that is why they have the no magazines on benches during the cease fire rule, because you cant be trusted to not flip out, why do we need the anti's?

At Ripley you just need to ask the RO if you want to do any mag testing.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

sungazer wrote:I think that me not be the reason. If you want to test your magazine simply remove the firing pin from the bolt. You can pretty safely test as much as you want that way.

with the firing pin removed you are still loading a firearm at home, still breaking the law
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2017, 9:13 pm

marksman wrote:
sungazer wrote:I think that me not be the reason. If you want to test your magazine simply remove the firing pin from the bolt. You can pretty safely test as much as you want that way.

with the firing pin removed you are still loading a firearm at home, still breaking the law

What if you own a farm and it's ya home. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 20 Aug 2017, 10:21 am

I get what you are saying LOL
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

"with the firing pin removed you are still loading a firearm at home, still breaking the law«

Mmmmm,, never really thought of that. Is that right?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2017, 12:53 pm

Got any links to where it is mentioned in the Regs that you can't load a firearm at home?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 20 Aug 2017, 2:12 pm

sorry I don't and to be truthful could not be buggered looking but rule number 8 in the vic firearm safety rules states "never have loaded firearms in the Home, car or camp"
I'm sure all vic licence holders know that LOL
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Archie » 20 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

marksman wrote:sorry I don't and to be truthful could not be buggered looking but rule number 8 in the vic firearm safety rules states "never have loaded firearms in the Home, car or camp"
I'm sure all vic licence holders know that LOL

Yeah but thats not the same thing. You can legally load a firearm at home (of course, depending on where you live, you maybe shouldn't); what you can't do is leave a gun loaded when is not in use, for example when it's in the safe.

But there's nothing to say that you can't load it to check the magazine and then unload it before putting it away. Although personally if I lived in a non-rural area I probably wouldn't but thats a safety thing.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 20 Aug 2017, 5:50 pm

take a look at S.130(1) of the vic firearms act and make up your own mind

the act does not actually say you cant check the fit and function of ammunition at home
but it does say you cannot carry or use a loaded firearm in a town or populous place, there are people exempt eg: police, security guards ect

IMO if you are loading the mag and checking function fit of ammo in your rifle you have a loaded firearm
this is something I would not push I think having a loaded firearm at home even to check your ammo is irresponsible
but to be certain I will ask the dfo in my area for the proper answer and get back to you about it as I would not want someone to think it was ok, rural or not
I will be seeing him on thursday
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Aug 2017, 6:01 pm

Well, most re-loading manuals say after completing the reloading to check the ammo feed out of the magazine and chambers ok. Personally if I load 20 or 40 I would select say 3 or 4 at random and check them before boxing them.

What are we meant to do? Drive an hour to the range to check them?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

marksman wrote:take a look at S.130(1) of the vic firearms act and make up your own mind

the act does not actually say you cant check the fit and function of ammunition at home
but it does say you cannot carry or use a loaded firearm in a town or populous place, there are people exempt eg: police, security guards ect

IMO if you are loading the mag and checking function fit of ammo in your rifle you have a loaded firearm
this is something I would not push I think having a loaded firearm at home even to check your ammo is irresponsible
but to be certain I will ask the dfo in my area for the proper answer and get back to you about it as I would not want someone to think it was ok, rural or not

Make sure he gives you the actual regulation, not just his opinion.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2017, 7:11 pm

marksman wrote:take a look at S.130(1) of the vic firearms act and make up your own mind

Maybe you should ring them up and ask permission before you do it hey? :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2017, 9:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I think that single round only comes from Target shooting where single feed seems to be the norm. As has been pointed out it's stupid when other forms of shooting can use fully loaded mags, anyway glad I don't have to worry about any of that crap anymore.

This is where in Sydney is rediculous -
At the St Mary's indoor range 50m I can fully load a rifle magazine and even stand at the bench and shoot.But at silverdale 25m- 200m bench outdoors you have to load 1 bullet at a time even if it's a tube feed .22.F@@kg stupid if you ask me. :roll:
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2017, 9:33 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I think that single round only comes from Target shooting where single feed seems to be the norm. As has been pointed out it's stupid when other forms of shooting can use fully loaded mags, anyway glad I don't have to worry about any of that crap anymore.

This is where in Sydney is rediculous -
At the St Mary's indoor range 50m I can fully load a rifle magazine and even stand at the bench and shoot.But at silverdale 25m- 200m bench outdoors you have to load 1 bullet at a time even if it's a tube feed .22.F@@kg stupid if you ask me. :roll:

Yep it's a stupid rule and is up to the range as to whether they implement it (it's not a requirement by law as far as I am aware) just something they decided was a good idea. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Aug 2017, 10:34 pm

When it comes to safety, how long is a piece of string? At what cost?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Aug 2017, 12:13 am

Oldbloke has hit the nail on the head safety is parramount anywhere
I have not joined a gun club ever namely because i like to do things my way most of the time and saftey is one of those
I carry ammo in my mag but not in the breach when i'm hunting mainly because you may have to take a quick shot at the animal
But why would you worry about not being able to load your gun with more than one bullet whilst shooting at targets ? Their not going to run away
When i'm out plinking i load one at a time because i don't need to take that quick shot and its safer

My uncle was shot dead with a rifle with a full mag,he shot at a target left the bolt open and lent the rifle against the shed and went to check
the target whilst he was away his younger brother '' who also shot rifles'' picked the rifle up without thinking and closed the bolt when my uncle returned he said lets
go so his brother grabbed the rifle and started putting it into the ute as he did he must have pulled the trigger or hooked it on something and it discharged killing my uncle
Thats a classic why guns shouldn't be carried around clubs with ammo in the mag,Only when your about to shoot
Rules are there for safety we may not always agree with some but that doesn't mean their wrong
If there are rules that do upset a lot of people then maybe its time to have a general meeting and have the rules changed to something more practical
There is always a way around things if you go about it the right way

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Archie » 21 Aug 2017, 8:21 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yep it's a stupid rule and is up to the range as to whether they implement it (it's not a requirement by law as far as I am aware) just something they decided was a good idea. :unknown:

I asked about this at Silverdale not so long ago... here's what I was told. Don't hold me to it as to accuracy, but story was as follows:

1/ The original range permit for Silverdale was as a target club. The rules at the time of the target club didn't allow loaded magazines. Approval for the range is tied to the safety rules of the club at the time. Which meant they became the rules of the range.

2/ They could have changed that by now. The reason they haven't is that, as a practical matter, it takes either more time and more staff or both, to check and clear the range if rifles have loaded magazines, and even as is you only get 45 minutes of shooting per hour with all the time it takes for changeover. Not a lot more time of course, but if you have 20-30 shooters it adds up.

3/ But they are going to change it even so. They are installing a light system so that as rifles are cleared by range officers the bench is marked so people down the line can see that its cleared which should speed things up a bit. At which time they'll go to loaded mags.

Personally I like Malabar because you can load your mags, shoot prone, off-hand etc. But there's less targets and its only open a few hours on the weekend.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 21 Aug 2017, 10:55 pm

Archie wrote:Personally I like Malabar because you can load your mags, shoot prone, off-hand etc. But there's less targets and its only open a few hours on the weekend.

I agree IMO it's the best range in Sydney. Biggest downside is opening hours and the club doesn't go to the 500-800m range. If they did I'm sure many more would attend.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 22 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm

ok I didn't wait till thursday and asked by email, what he advises is quoted exactly how he wrote it FYI

"as with most things in the firearms act, it depends on the circumstances. however this is a general guide

checking fit and function of the magazine only would be fine.

in nearly all circumstances, placing a round into the chamber means you have "loaded" the firearm. depending on where you live this could put you in breach of section 130 (1) of the firearms act-carry a loaded firearm in a town or populous place. for example, at your place this would be an offence. however, if you live on a farm you would not have a loaded firearm in a populous place and would be committing no offence."

so there it is, I have always thought it to be a definite no-no and some thing I would not do
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics