Even the SSAA clubs are sick of how SSAA represents us :-)

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Even the SSAA clubs are sick of how SSAA represents us :

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Aug 2017, 11:04 pm

Here is one for you ''Putting a bullet in the chamber after reloading it to test for faults ,can be classed as a saftey check'' and saftey will stand up in court
providing you weren't waving it around in public

What would the be chances of anybody being charged for running a few bullets through the chamber after reloading
The police do have other things to do rather than spy on people for such things
Use your common sense with not splitting hairs because wave it about with a bullet in the chamber and you will pay the price
I have never seen anywhere about not being able to check your bullets in your own home post reloading, prehunting

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 22 Aug 2017, 11:20 pm

with you GB
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 12:37 am

grandadbushy wrote:Here is one for you ''Putting a bullet in the chamber after reloading it to test for faults ,can be classed as a saftey check'' and saftey will stand up in court
providing you weren't waving it around in public

What would the be chances of anybody being charged for running a few bullets through the chamber after reloading
The police do have other things to do rather than spy on people for such things
Use your common sense with not splitting hairs because wave it about with a bullet in the chamber and you will pay the price
I have never seen anywhere about not being able to check your bullets in your own home post reloading, prehunting

Cheers

Spot on people these days are completely devoid of commonsense sadly - the country is in trouble with such stupid people breeding.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 23 Aug 2017, 8:03 am

this was bought up about magazine and chamber function fit at a range,
now doesn't it sound more stupid not to be able to test your reloads at the range where you can safely and legally shoot the rifle?
the information is FYI, what you do with it is up to you
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 03 Sep 2017, 9:08 pm

Hi, new to the sport and was thinking about joining local SSAA but after reading the posts on this topic, I'm not sure. What would experienced shooters recommend for someone who just wants to learn to shoot a rifle (22lr) for the purpose down the track of getting a centerfire to hunt deer (mostly state Forrest)
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2017, 9:10 pm

Plinker wrote:Hi, new to the sport and was thinking about joining local SSAA but after reading the posts on this topic, I'm not sure. What would experienced shooters recommend for someone who just wants to learn to shoot a rifle (22lr) for the purpose down the track of getting a centerfire to hunt deer (mostly state Forrest)

Probably just attend your nearest rifle range. That's the only place an unlicenced person can handle firearms in Victoria.
For getting your licence you only need an Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land, you don't need to join any clubs or organisations.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 03 Sep 2017, 9:28 pm

I should have been clearer, I have my a&b license and have submitted a permit to acquire (close to buying). I have access to a property 2hrs away but would be nice to have a range/club to sight in and learn to shoot groups. (I'm in the kilmore
area)
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2017, 9:34 pm

Plinker wrote:I should have been clearer, I have my a&b license and have submitted a permit to acquire (close to buying). I have access to a property 2hrs away but would be nice to have a range/club to sight in and learn to shoot groups. (I'm in the kilmore area)

If you have hunting on your licence rather than just target then you can shoot on private property.
Unfortunately you're a fair way from me or you could come down here (Gippsland), not that the weather is great just now :-)
You can even play with my rifles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 03 Sep 2017, 9:52 pm

Thanks mate, and yes I do have hunting on my license (deer are pretty hard to take with a bow). I rang up the local SSAA and the bloke seemed ok but they only shoot twice a month. Reading all these posts has made me think twice though. Australia is so different to the US (kind of stating the obvious). I've shot all sorts of firearms over there while on work trips and if you belong to the range, you can go there any day of the week (I'm pretty sure). I guess being more popular, they have more funds - still, twice a month here is better than nothing
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

Plinker wrote:Thanks mate, and yes I do have hunting on my license (deer are pretty hard to take with a bow). I rang up the local SSAA and the bloke seemed ok but they only shoot twice a month. Reading all these posts has made me think twice though. Australia is so different to the US (kind of stating the obvious). I've shot all sorts of firearms over there while on work trips and if you belong to the range, you can go there any day of the week (I'm pretty sure). I guess being more popular, they have more funds - still, twice a month here is better than nothing

I don't know your area, but there are dozens of gun clubs and ranges around me, but the nearest SSAA range is two-hours away. Might be worth looking for something non-SSAA in your area?

I'm a member at my local SSAA range, but being so far away I've never been there. It doesn't help that they also only shoot twice a month. When I was shooting IPSC in WA, my club was open to members all week except Wednesdays (that's when Police and military used the range). We each had keys and could shoot all day long, all on our lonesome, as long as we stopped at 1700hrs. It helped that I lived five-minutes away too :-) Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible at all anymore, at least not here in Victoria. The only rifle range I've visited here said that members can use the range during the week as long as they have an authorised RO with them, which would be fine if you and a mate were both RO's, you could RO each other and spend a nice day shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 03 Sep 2017, 10:36 pm

SSAA Represents people??? when did this happen?
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Sep 2017, 12:56 am

marksman wrote:
sungazer wrote:I think that me not be the reason. If you want to test your magazine simply remove the firing pin from the bolt. You can pretty safely test as much as you want that way.

with the firing pin removed you are still loading a firearm at home, still breaking the law

Might not be legal, but you can only come unstuck if a shot is accidently fired. If you remove the firing pin it can't happen. (stating the obvious I guess)
You would still be fulfilling the intent of the act.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2017, 1:03 am

Oldbloke wrote:Might not be legal, but you can only come unstuck if a shot is accidently fired. If you remove the firing pin it can't happen. (stating the obvious I guess)
You would still be fulfilling the intent of the act.

Or if some gun-fearing busy body notices or hears about you cycling ammo through your firearm.

I don't think anything in the Act declares a firearm without a firing pin/striker to no longer be a firearm, so putting ammo in it even if it can't fire still breaches the Act.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Sep 2017, 6:40 am

Sargent Shultz! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Sep 2017, 7:15 am

"Or if some gun-fearing busy body notices or hears about you cycling ammo through your firearm."

Actually, I don't normally do that on my front lawn. :?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Sep 2017, 10:16 am

Plinker wrote, "Hi, new to the sport and was thinking about joining local SSAA but after reading the posts on this topic, I'm not sure."

You don't have to be a member of SSAA to shoot at their ranges. They will usually just charge a higher "non-member" range fee for the day. Go to a range and ask. If you are in Kilmore, I really don't think it is too big a task to drive down to Little River for the day. Noiseydad, who's on this forum, shoots at Seymour. Perhaps a shout out to him?
There are plenty of SSAA haters on this forum and they have their reasons, :unknown:
I personally shoot in various competitions that they run and feel I get good use out of my membership.

Is the organisation perfect? NO.
Have I ever had issues with that? YES.
Have I been to various ranges and had problems with an over-zealous range officer? YES.
Can I just go hunting instead? YES

BUT: I always get over it. I enjoy my sport too much to get all twisted up inside over a couple of bad days or experiences. I can walk out my back door and be in the bush in about 200m, but, I'd rather drive 3-4hrs to spend the week-end at a competition shoot. I encourage you to attend a branch range that suits you and see what is on offer. Then, after attending a few times, make your own mind up. If as you say, you want to learn to shoot better, there is no better way than competition shooting to hone your skills and confidence. Everything you can learn will translate to you being a better shooter, be it at the range or hunting out in the bush.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Sep 2017, 10:34 am

Why don't all you people afraid of and being caught or breeching safety rules do what I have done for a few of my mates
Go to a scrap steel joint or try and get a piece of 6'' pipe 600mm-1m long with wall thickness not under 8mm fit and weld a piece of 25mm plate in the end
on the top weld a piece of 8mm plate with a hole cut in the middle 35-40mm diameter pour 100-150mm of sand into the pipe to stop side expansion of fragments
They can be painted up to look not out of place in the house also make a wood or steel stand to stabilize it while firing into it
We have fired up to 30-06 into it in the laundry we thought it would buck a bit so the first trial was done out in the open but surprised us greatly
And noise if you fired a 308 into it in the lounge room the neighbours would think you had dropped a small saucepan in the kitchen
Now I wouldn't go below the size and measurements as I have given above up to 30-06 and go thicker with wall and base plate for larger calibre
Maybe wall @12-16mm and base plate 30mm up
All this was made for less than $40, scrap pipe and plate
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Sep 2017, 11:10 am

Gamerancher is right I've got mates that go to SSAA shoots and some of them have really honed their skills with help from seasoned shooters
Don't be scared to have a go try it out, I myself am not a SSAA member but its not my thing i'm just a shooter of feral animals and game although down
the line I may have to join if forced by the powers to be
Mate don't worry about the should be, could be, would be worry about the is be of now
If you like your shooting you will find a way to make it work and by me knowing the type of some of the people that shoot SSAA shoots around here
I think you would have plenty of skill around you to learn from

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2017, 12:30 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Why don't all you people afraid of and being caught or breeching safety rules do what I have done for a few of my mates
Go to a scrap steel joint or try and get a piece of 6'' pipe 600mm-1m long with wall thickness not under 8mm fit and weld a piece of 25mm plate in the end
on the top weld a piece of 8mm plate with a hole cut in the middle 35-40mm diameter pour 100-150mm of sand into the pipe to stop side expansion of fragments
They can be painted up to look not out of place in the house also make a wood or steel stand to stabilize it while firing into it
We have fired up to 30-06 into it in the laundry we thought it would buck a bit so the first trial was done out in the open but surprised us greatly
And noise if you fired a 308 into it in the lounge room the neighbours would think you had dropped a small saucepan in the kitchen
Now I wouldn't go below the size and measurements as I have given above up to 30-06 and go thicker with wall and base plate for larger calibre
Maybe wall @12-16mm and base plate 30mm up
All this was made for less than $40, scrap pipe and plate

How does that address the legality of loading your firearm in a populous place though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 04 Sep 2017, 1:20 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Plinker wrote, "Hi, new to the sport and was thinking about joining local SSAA but after reading the posts on this topic, I'm not sure."

You don't have to be a member of SSAA to shoot at their ranges. They will usually just charge a higher "non-member" range fee for the day. Go to a range and ask. If you are in Kilmore, I really don't think it is too big a task to drive down to Little River for the day. Noiseydad, who's on this forum, shoots at Seymour. Perhaps a shout out to him?
There are plenty of SSAA haters on this forum and they have their reasons, :unknown:
I personally shoot in various competitions that they run and feel I get good use out of my membership.

Have I been to various ranges and had problems with an over-zealous range officer? YES.

BUT: I always get over it. I enjoy my sport too much to get all twisted up inside over a couple of bad days or experiences. I can walk out my back door and be in the bush in about 200m, but, I'd rather drive 3-4hrs to spend the week-end at a competition shoot. I encourage you to attend a branch range that suits you and see what is on offer. Then, after attending a few times, make your own mind up. If as you say, you want to learn to shoot better, there is no better way than competition shooting to hone your skills and confidence. Everything you can learn will translate to you being a better shooter, be it at the range or hunting out in the bush.

Thanks gamerancher, this is probably what I'll do. Try to build up some expertise at a SSAA branch/range and then funds permitting, move up to centerfire and get out into the state Forrest
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 04 Sep 2017, 1:23 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Plinker wrote, "Hi, new to the sport and was thinking about joining local SSAA but after reading the posts on this topic, I'm not sure."

Thanks gamerancher, this is probably what I'll do. Try to build up some expertise at a SSAA branch/range and then funds permitting, move up to centerfire and get out into the state Forrest
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Sep 2017, 10:48 pm

Sorry Bladeracer I forgot to explain further
Well it would be a safety device something extra to argue your case if at any time you were checked on by the powers to be
It doesn't make it any more legal or any less for that matter but it would let them know that you had no intension of discharging the rifle on purpose
It would only be there for accidental discharge and if you were unfortunate enough to have that happen then you would be safe and have minimum
noise to alert the whole neighbourhood and bring in the police
The reason we shot into them was to make sure that they could not harm a person in anyway what so ever also to see if they jumped excessively when fired into

As I said earlier lets not split hairs and I really think it would be to peoples advantage to have something like this to prove their argument if they were ever checked on
Most police are practical minded and if they saw that you had gone to some extent for testing ammo through your rifle at home ( other than firing it ) then I don't think there would be a problem
The problem is when they can be seen waving a rifle about by the public or passer by people, otherwise why would they come calling other than rifle and storage checks
So the whole ( legal not legal saga of putting bullets through your rifle to look for faults in them ) is turned into a safety issue ,which in most cases will stand up in
most courts
It would most curtain give you a case to argue

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2017, 7:13 am

Wouldn't it just be easier to remove the firing pin? In most cases anyway.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 05 Sep 2017, 7:17 am

Or not pull the trigger......
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2017, 8:19 am

Isn't this waaaay of topic?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Sep 2017, 8:39 am

Boys I didn't say you had to make one or have one it was just a suggestion
we're back splitting hairs remember every thing on this forum is optional nobody makes anybody do anything they don't wont to do
If you want to remove the firing pin do so each to his/her own and as far as don't pull the trigger there is a thing called accidents believe it
or not and people have been shot
Yes Oldbloke probably is off topic didn't mean to just thought i'd let people know a way to be safe at home whilst cycling ammo through their rifles
Best of luck

BYE
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Sep 2017, 9:32 am

grandadbushy wrote:Boys I didn't say you had to make one or have one it was just a suggestion
we're back splitting hairs remember every thing on this forum is optional nobody makes anybody do anything they don't wont to do
If you want to remove the firing pin do so each to his/her own and as far as don't pull the trigger there is a thing called accidents believe it
Yes Oldbloke probably is off topic didn't mean to just thought i'd let people know a way to be safe at home whilst cycling ammo through their rifles
Best of luck

BYE

If you had a Howa with 3 stage safety you wouldn't need to remove the firing pin, the bolt can be cycled with the safety on which is another great feature of the mighty Howa :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 05 Sep 2017, 9:43 am

bigfellascott wrote:
grandadbushy wrote:Boys I didn't say you had to make one or have one it was just a suggestion
Best of luck

BYE

If you had a Howa with 3 stage safety you wouldn't need to remove the firing pin, the bolt can be cycled with the safety on which is another great feature of the mighty Howa :D

Same for the mod 70.. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Sep 2017, 4:28 pm

sungazer wrote:Does it have a firing pin mechanical stop? Stopping the trigger being pulled is a good safety but if your cycling the bolt and hard and fast the pin can go off.

Mod 70 stops the pin. I don't have a howa so not sure. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2017, 9:45 pm

Best of luck

BYE

Not having a go. Good suggestion, just seems a lot of work when in most cases just remove the firing pin. But yes at a range great idea.

Higher numbers = higher risk.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics