What was it like before 1996?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: What was it like before 1996?

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Aug 2017, 10:35 pm

According to GCA everyone had a gun safe that looked like this.
images (30).jpg
images (30).jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 3767 times

This was how people sorted out arguments.
images (31).jpg
images (31).jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 3766 times

And this is what our children did when we weren't home.
images (32).jpg
images (32).jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 3766 times

Thank god for 1996 :roll:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 11:00 am

Right now is the best time to be alive,
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

I still think it's funny that so many of you blokes still go on about 'the left' when it was Auatralia's most right wing govt that enacted these laws.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2017, 1:04 pm

Gwion wrote:I still think it's funny that so many of you blokes still go on about 'the left' when it was Auatralia's most right wing govt that enacted these laws.

I don't consider Lib or Lab to be left or right, they're the same, both have the same agenda about taking our firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 2:01 pm

Exactly. The whole left/right thing is BS (IMO). But if you buy into it then the reality is that both 'sides' of politics are equally motivated to reduce firearms in the community as any faction bent on political dominance views civilian firearms as an obstacle to ultimate control.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 17 Aug 2017, 2:11 pm

My defining memory of how the restrictive Australian laws really affected my way of life around 1996 was that prior to then, I couldn't - despite being a law abiding citizen with no criminal history - purchase beer. But after 1996 I was 18.

I do reckon there must have been a big change in culture re firearms way before then though, like in the 80s... I don't think I ever saw a firearm other than my uncle's old 22 at his farm. Definitely never saw a gun in Kmart, although I lived in the burbs so maybe that's why.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 2:29 pm

Yep.
Things started to change mid-late 80s or even earlier. 84/85 we could still get slugs (pellets) for my mate's air rifles (slug guns) at the local Kmart in rural Vic. We were allowed to get about with the sluggies but not powder burners (parant's rules). My folks didn't allow us guns but didn't object to us shooting with mates. My brother even had a regular clay shoot with the shotgun team at his school. Still, people didn't just wander around willy nilly with guns, although I don't recall anyone really being anti-gun. A lot if my mates had their own guns under a bed or in a draw when we were young teenagers and most kids parant's had firearms.

My sister was going out with a cop in 96 and I recall have a heated debate about the laws coming in with me pointing out that I could randomly do quite a bit of damage with things other than a gun.

All in all I think the storage imposed and the restricting of gun sales to vetted individuals is probably for the best but much of the rest of the laws are pretty ill thought out and pointless.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 17 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gwion wrote:I still think it's funny that so many of you blokes still go on about 'the left' when it was Auatralia's most right wing govt that enacted these laws.

I don't consider Lib or Lab to be left or right, they're the same, both have the same agenda about taking our firearms.

Yep hawke started it johnny "finished" it off.
The only difference between the two sides of politics these days are the party logos :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics