What was it like before 1996?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

What was it like before 1996?

Post by JimmyS » 11 Aug 2017, 6:51 pm

I think this will be a good question so other younger gentleman (such as myself) can get a bit of insight of the goings on in the firearms community before it all went to s**t.

Questions like;
1. Did people really travel on the bus in suburban areas with rifles, or was that more of a country thing?
2. Were ranges open all hours? Did we have the rules and operational procedures that we have today?
3. Were there a lot more semi - autos on the range back in the days?
4. Were people are scared of rifles and sidearms as they are now?
5. Do you think it'll ever get back to how it was?

I find it hard to believe that many Australians didn't have this modern concept of s**ting themselves as soon as they saw any type of firearm.

Did people really pull a 180 and go from enjoying firearms as a whole to a majority not caring / having a strong dislike?

Really goddamn keen to hear how it used to be, as I've hard a hard time finding anything on the net about it.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: What was it like before 1996?

Post by Heckler303 » 11 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

Pre 1996:

Post 1996:

If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

Pre 1996 everything that was considered normal was taken for granted.

I can't speak about gun ranges because it's not something I've ever done but I can say that pulling out a skk (or two) and unloading hundreds apon hundreds of ex military ammo into anything and everything wasn't a big deal.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by p3seven » 11 Aug 2017, 9:07 pm

In the 60's ln when down in Cairns when l wss 12. I would sling the single shot 22 and ride the bike out to Edge Hill (now the Botanic Gardens) and hunt for scrub hens. 2 years later, ride home from range or take the bus after cadets with 303 to clean for homework. Bolt in pocket. The school had no handy source of boiling water for cleaning somwe used the kettle at home. The croc shooters would walk from the wharf to Tom Cowles gunshop, through the main shopping area, with their rifles slung. We had a small calibre range at school, at the back of the playground, for after school shoots and cadet training with 22 barelled 303 wooded actions. You could hear Crocodiles barking at night in the mangrove swamp where the airport is now.

The papers reported the results of local and regional shooting matches. Half page spreads on the Queens Shoot at Bisley. How the Crocidile season was progressing and which shooter was bringing in the best skins.

This was 15 years after WW2 when people were used to seeing thousands of armed soldiers passing through or training close by.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cflake » 11 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

My family weren't really into guns, but my dad did come home once when I was about 13/14 and gave me an air rifle, then told me to sit in the backyard and shoot all the birds that went near his fruit trees. I lived in Hobart and this would have been the very late 80's. I kept the air rifle and pellets under my bed (next to each other!) and used to take it into "the bush" which backed onto our house and shoot coke cans. No gun bag, just carried it over my shoulder.

He had no license, neither did I. No safety course. I don't think he had even held a gun before buying it. He showed me how to load it, then said don't point it at anybody then left me to my own devices.

I also had a friend that maybe a year or so later arrived at my place with a .22 & scope (my air rifle had open sights) and we went into "the bush" and shot some cans. I don't remember working the bolt between shots so I guess it was a semi auto. We weren't old enough to drive, so I can only guess he caught the bus (or walked). He did have a gun bag though.

I also had a friend in year 10 tell me his dad was selling a mossberg pump action 12 gauge for $650 and if I wanted to buy it. I would have been 15 and I would have bought it if I had the money - I was working at woolworths but wasn't a great saver!

I also vaguely remember rifles being sold at k-mart, because I stopped to browse through them. This would have been the mid-early 80's because by the time I could drive and owned a car (1993) they were gone.

So no centrefire semi-auto stories, but certainly a different time..
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 11 Aug 2017, 10:12 pm

Like a few guys have mentioned, we used to run around the streets as young fellas with air rifles and 22's and no one batted an eyelid and no one got hurt, nor did we even think about hurting anyone or doing stupid s**t we had common sense and respect back then, same go's for carrying pocket knives etc, we all had them, the thought never crossed our minds to do harm to another human being, they were tools, not weapons,
When you needed ammo etc you could just go down to the local newsagents and buy air rifle pellets and I think they stocked 22 ammo also (not certain of that)
I got my gun licence when I was 17, this was 1993, I didn't own a car and lived on the same main drag my LGS but around 5 or so K's away, when I'd buy a new firearm I used to ride my pushy to the shop purchase the firearm and ride home down a busy main road with it (bagged) across my handlebars, cops would drive past and if anything they'd be more concerned about me not wearing a helmet than the fact I was carrying a pump/semi auto 12 guage (I had a Franchi spas12) on my handle bars and probably a few boxes of shells in my back pack.
We used to be able to go down to the local bush, pretty much anywhere and fire off a few shots and do a bit of target practice, I remember one day, a trail bike cop came through while we were doing so and he just said 'g'day guys, keeping out of trouble?'...we replied politely and he was off on his merry way, no licence or ID checks etc.
When I turned 18 I again lived on the same street except it was a side st ( shop was on a corner) and I was only 500 metres away, I also worked directly across the street so would drop in almost daily so the owner got to know me quite well, every Friday afternoon at closing time the owner would shut the doors and he'd put on a few beers (inside the store) for his staff and well known customers, they were good times...
Do any of the above now days and you'd be surrounded by swat within minutes and spending a little time in a small barred room sleeping next to Leeroy who thinks you got a pretty mouth......;)
Last edited by Pythonkeeper on 11 Aug 2017, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2017, 10:55 pm

It was Utopia! :D Licenses were about $2, you could own whatever you wanted for the most part, no PTA crap and basically common sense was the go, now of course we are all mass murderers in the waiting and apparently laws can prevent this from happening? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 11 Aug 2017, 11:02 pm

Pre '96 I walked into my LGS with my crappy, world champion jamming Franchi 500 semi auto 12G and traded it in on a Mossberg pump. Three years later I went in again and traded the Mossberg on Remington 870 SPS synthetic camo pump. You know what I heard each time? Crickets chirping! No PTA's, no Cat D's - nuthin!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 11 Aug 2017, 11:07 pm

I remember traveling through outback SA and seeing racks in the back of unlocked utes full of rifles, mates having a 22 or 12g leaned up behind the backdoor ready for any fox that came for the chooks, cockys in the NT open carrying revolvers in Tennant Creek and Katherine, cheap readily available semi auto .22s everywhere even Kmart, racks of guns you could handle on Gun-shop showroom floors, Full autos readily available in Tasmania.
I do remember going to Springvale range around 1991 around noon on a weekday to sight in a rifle (although I think it wasn't officially open -there was only me and one staff member there). I remember not only carrying an air rifle on a school bus to High School, but doing a science project on ballistics with it (involving lots of test shots- in a classroom) that ended up winning a prize presented by the Premier.

I also remember some not so good things, some decidedly dodgy people with Guns, Mates having uninvited shooters on their property (Much worse than today), many more shot signs, nights of gunshots around the suburbs I was living in, being shot at by spotlighters from the road once and of course the various mass shootings. Even though they were anomalies in a still declining firearm homicide crime-rate events such as Hoddle St do tend to stick in your mind, particularly as I went through there 30 minutes before he started shooting.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 11 Aug 2017, 11:14 pm

Yep good old days bigfella......I'm glad the law has sorted it out now though cos I wouldn't of been able to live with myself if I became a psychotic mass murderer......;)

I had me one of them there Mossberg pumps too Noisy, Maverick combo 20" and 28" barrels, black synthetic stock, was a great gun.
My Franchi used to jam with certain shells but was good for the most part.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 11 Aug 2017, 11:31 pm

Back in the late 60 I lived in CONCORD /SYDNEY often as kids we would be shooting birds in the garden with a .177 air rifle.
Or on a Saturday afternoon we would get on the bikes with ,22 semi auto over shoulder ride down Parrammatta road to Homebush where the Olympics were held there used to be a real big Abattoir there pigs used to be slaughtered on Friday when the runners were not rounded up and escaped to the mangrove on Saturday we would get the odd one or just shoot the .22 at targets .
Later on I got on a train at Blacktown with a .22 semi auto just purchased from Kmart $63.50 and 2 boxes of winnes if I remember right they were $1.25 a box I had a job after school to save up to buy that one first new one I ever bought ,went to my destination only person that said anything about the fact I had a rifle on me was the ticket collector at my stop said" I bought same one couple weeks ago "

On a different note from Central station to circular quay there used to be 28 Gun shops in Sydney alone , you could buy firearms in many Pawn shops/ disposal even Walton's or Kmart.
There were not as many ranges then WE DIDN'T NEED THERE TO BE you just went shooting .
Were people scared of guns then I don,t think so most houses had at least 1 in them that I knew of .
When the licence for long arms came in 1968 I think it was (you always needed for pistol from 1947 I think ) thought i would go in to police station across from school and get on $2 and desk cop said give you the Drum son don,t come and get yer next one in school uniform before that i was not 15 did not need one
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2017, 11:43 pm

I remember taking a CF to tafe before taking it to the gun shop to get it bedded, also took it on the train to get there. Also remember walking through a small country town with rabbits and ducks hanging off me whilst carrying a shotgun and CF and people talking to me asking how I went etc.

Life was normal back then - now everyone is suspicious of everyone and fearful of everything!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by cflake » 12 Aug 2017, 12:04 am

Wombat wrote:I also remember some not so good things, some decidedly dodgy people with Guns, Mates having uninvited shooters on their property (Much worse than today), many more shot signs, nights of gunshots around the suburbs I was living in, being shot at by spotlighters from the road once and of course the various mass shootings. Even though they were anomalies in a still declining firearm homicide crime-rate events such as Hoddle St do tend to stick in your mind, particularly as I went through there 30 minutes before he started shooting.

That reminds me being driven from Hobart to Launceston as a kid and seeing every single road sign between cities full of bullet holes.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2017, 6:30 am

JimmyS wrote:I think this will be a good question so other younger gentleman (such as myself) can get a bit of insight of the goings on in the firearms community before it all went to s**t.

Questions like;
1. Did people really travel on the bus in suburban areas with rifles, or was that more of a country thing?
2. Were ranges open all hours? Did we have the rules and operational procedures that we have today?
3. Were there a lot more semi - autos on the range back in the days?
4. Were people are scared of rifles and sidearms as they are now?
5. Do you think it'll ever get back to how it was?

I find it hard to believe that many Australians didn't have this modern concept of s**ting themselves as soon as they saw any type of firearm.

Did people really pull a 180 and go from enjoying firearms as a whole to a majority not caring / having a strong dislike?

Really goddamn keen to hear how it used to be, as I've hard a hard time finding anything on the net about it.

1. Before my time it was not uncommon.
2. No idea about ranges, never been to one.
3. Everybody I knew had semi-auto .22's and most also had shotguns - I preferred the pump shotguns. A lot also had semi-auto centrefires but they were expensive to run, mostly milsurp.
4. I tend to think there is more fear than there used to be. I did know people that were afraid of firearms back them but most didn't think much about them either way.
5. I think it's possible if we can get Lib/Lab out of office. Both are fully aligned with the UN intention to disarm all civilian populations.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 12 Aug 2017, 9:34 am

bentaz wrote:

I don't think that the majority of people these days hate guns or are terrified by them.
There is, i believe a loud minority that hate guns and a large section of the community that are to stupid not to suck up the bulls**t and dribble they're fed on the mainstream "news" and facebook, but i find that most of these people when presented with the actual facts go back to not really caring about guns one way or the other.

As for pre 96:
As a kid my brothers and i ran around the suburbs with air rifles and bb guns and no one cared.
Franchi spas was cool as f***.

In 1996 as 13yearold my mother bought me a desert eagle 1911, it had some pop and would realy welted my mates up, all my friends had bb guns we would cruise around on our bikes blasting each other, then they got banned we could only use them in the confines of my backyard or the bush sorrounding the airport (could you imagine doing that now).

Another thing a kid that was hanging around us was abit of dick he walked into the corner store carrying his bb gun in hand, The shop keeper pulled a shotgun on him from under the counter and forced him to leave.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 12 Aug 2017, 11:20 am

I did a firearm safety course and got my junior permit through school (country high school). Even went pistol shooting and shotgun clay target shooting of a Thursday afternoon as part of the program.
I shot pistol as a junior. Next door neighbour was a member of the pistol club so all I had to pay for the ammo and I used one of the club guns.

I also did Army Cadets. The unit had rifles. Probably did about four shots in the first year as a cadet. The unit even bought some new lever action .22s (for the left handers I think) but then the 1996 stuff started. Think the insurance was the main issue. But didn't get to use the rifles after that.

If you didn't have to jump through so many hoops I have a Cat C and get a semi auto .22 and get my Cat H and do some pistol shooting.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Ten » 12 Aug 2017, 2:50 pm

From the age of 14 until I could drive in 1962, I would make the weekly journey by train to the local rifle range carrying my uncovered .303. No-one took a second look at me walking through the shopping centre or passing the police station. I kept the bolt in the rifle as I was not breaking any law.

I don't think the average person took any particular view of firearms in those days, not until politicians told them to be fearful.

There was one range in Sydney's Baulkham Hills that was open each day. Range fee was paid to a nearby neighbour who also provided targets. I sometimes shot there with no-one else on the range.
Ten.
Ten
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 12 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

1) yes, you were not considered a criminal or murderer taking your 303 on the bus to go to cadets, the 303 was given to you by the cadets, so my father told me
2) no ranges were not open all hours, the ssaa were about bankrupt before the steal back, the ssaa's money came good when deals were made with the government to include being a member of a club for a genuine reason to hold a shooters licence, the reason a lot of people are members of clubs but are not involved with the club, at that time a big crowd at little river was 20 and you were considered a good shot if you could hit the big rock at 500, sometimes there was no RO just a person at the gate taking entry fees so the shooters would appoint someone to RO and the club was really full on about it's sub clubs
3) yes of course, most serious hunters had them although a lot of shotgun ranges did not like self loaders because they could not be broken to show clear
4) people were at that time IMO just as fearful of recklessness involving firearms just did not have the media and anti's hate
5) no I don't, to many people involved not looking at the big picture and looking after themselves
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 13 Aug 2017, 9:51 am

I grew up in the 80's and while not old enough(just) to own a firearm at the time of "the great banning" I still remember what it was like!
Shooting air rifles in the street was a common thing that nobody batted an eye lid at, older kid in thew street had a .177 that he used to let me shoot.
Often shot pigeons (with an air rifle that lived in the shed for this job) in a work shop my father worked at.
Used to play cow boys and indians with old (unloaded off-course) cap and ball revolvers,get arrested or shot doing that these days!
Plenty of great cap guns available, used to love my cap guns!
I remember going to my mates house whose father was a hunter,guns just kept in cupboard.Mags and ammo separate but still not a good idea! We knew never to touch them unsupervised but to everyone's kids as well disciplined as us.
Never got to shoot a semi auto or went to a range in this time.

The only improvement IMHO that has come out of the whole sh!tfight is the storage of firearms, i am a firm believer that nobody needs to have unsecured firearms in the home, it is just inviting the wrong people to play with them.Not saying its a problem for everyone,as i said we had responsible parents who disciplined us properly so would never dream of touching a firearm.But what about other children or if somebody broke into house?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2017, 10:08 am

Dunxy wrote:The only improvement IMHO that has come out of the whole sh!tfight is the storage of firearms, i am a firm believer that nobody needs to have unsecured firearms in the home, it is just inviting the wrong people to play with them.Not saying its a problem for everyone,as i said we had responsible parents who disciplined us properly so would never dream of touching a firearm.But what about other children or if somebody broke into house?

I agree that owners need to be responsible for securing their firearms, but what we have currently goes way over the top in my opinion. With $20K or $30K worth of firearms then a safe is a really sensible idea. But the farmer that has a $100 single-shot .22 is forced to comply with the same law as an enthusiast. As for other people breaking into your property and stealing your property, you're saying they're the victims instead of you that have been violated illegally? Once somebody takes illegal possession of your firearm I reckon they also take the responsibility that goes with it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 13 Aug 2017, 11:11 am

bladeracer wrote:
I agree that owners need to be responsible for securing their firearms, but what we have currently goes way over the top in my opinion. With $20K or $30K worth of firearms then a safe is a really sensible idea. But the farmer that has a $100 single-shot .22 is forced to comply with the same law as an enthusiast. As for other people breaking into your property and stealing your property, you're saying they're the victims instead of you that have been violated illegally? Once somebody takes illegal possession of your firearm I reckon they also take the responsibility that goes with it.

I know its a bit overboard in regards to storage of a single cheap .22 and or shotgun, but it doesn't have to be a full on safe, just decent storage.Safes arent as big a deal as they once were, ive seen really good safes for a couple of hundred bucks used.Sure its more than a cheap firearm is worth, but i see it as a small price to pay.The small safe i got for my ammo storage for instance cost me $10.No its not chinese junk, its a proper fireproof safe.

No im not saying they are victims at all! Just we as responsible firearm owners should not be making it easy for them to get a firearm,like it was in the past when people kept them under the bed in cupboard etc. Junky breaks into house looking for easy cash isn't going to go moving/breaking into safes or decent storage but a firearm just sitting there is going to get taken.

When I was younger i thought the storage laws were silly, now i think they actually make sense.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Aug 2017, 8:31 pm

If I recall correctly the original ( J Howard) reason for firearm security was to stop kids from accessing them. That's why a locked wooden cubard or work locker was acceptable.

Now it's safes and alarms to stop theft. (just saying)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Aug 2017, 3:39 pm

Ten wrote:From the age of 14 until I could drive in 1962, I would make the weekly journey by train to the local rifle range carrying my uncovered .303. No-one took a second look at me walking through the shopping centre or passing the police station. I kept the bolt in the rifle as I was not breaking any law.

I don't think the average person took any particular view of firearms in those days, not until politicians told them to be fearful.

There was one range in Sydney's Baulkham Hills that was open each day. Range fee was paid to a nearby neighbour who also provided targets. I sometimes shot there with no-one else on the range.
Ten.

I am originally from Dubbo and in the late 70s when I was 14 my parents bought me a BSA mercury .22 air rifle with a nikko sterling scope for xmas.That xmas was spent in town shooting cicardas in the tree in the backyard.Had a competition with my father on who got the most.Must have shot 2000 slugs that xmas.Neighbours didn't care.
My Grandfather used to tell me that him and the local police Sargent years earlier after a few drinks at the Castlereagh hotel would go out the back of the pub and shoot starlings with his revolver.
How times have changed. :)
Member-Deleted

Post by lee_enfield223 » 14 Aug 2017, 8:09 pm

I still live in Sydney and shoot with the military rifle club at malabar and we used to get about 150 shooters each and every sunday, and semi auto military rifles outnumbered bolt actions by 4 to1 and I used to borrow AR15's and owned quite a few including an M14 winchester,a leader in 223, and a mini 14., but mainly I was and still am a bolt action man
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by thebear » 14 Aug 2017, 8:52 pm

I remember being in the cadets in the 60's and if you were going on a camp you would walk home with a 303 and no one would turn a hair. You could buy 22 ammunition at the local milk bar. In the 70's I had all my firearms on a rack on the wall and it was quite legal. I bought three firearms from Mick Simmons in the city, no permits and no licenses then.
Shooting was a recognised as a good pastime and a way to add to the table. Marksmanship was something to be proud of then. Now with our urbanised population and the insipid paranoia that has developed in part of the population we have to put up with so many rules and regulations.
thebear
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 15 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

Pre 1985 was Golden. Department and hardware stores sold guns and ammo, Toyworld stocked BB guns and you could buy pellets for your air rifle from the local news agent. Gun paranoia was at a low. SLRs were cheap!
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Aug 2017, 9:47 pm

Were things a little more relaxed before '96?
In 1981 I bought a Sportco Model 80 12g shotgun from K-Mart.
Decided when I saw it the day before that I had to have it, but didn't have the $40.
I walked in with $65, and 10 minutes later, walked out with the shotgun, a pile of ammo and a big grin. And change.
It's still the best shotty I've used and the chrome lining in the bore is still bright as new.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2017, 9:16 am

Yep I used to buy 22 ammo and pellets from the local Newsagent in the day and my Sako 222 was purchased from a Chemist Shop! How things have changed!! :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 16 Aug 2017, 5:52 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Pre 1996:

Post 1996:

Lies! We all know that the second photo is of post 2077 :) - at least all of us who have played Fallout 3. :drinks:
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by doc » 16 Aug 2017, 6:08 pm

bentaz wrote:I don't think that the majority of people these days hate guns or are terrified by them.

Actually - I think there's a growing trend. I've sat down with more than one reasonable logical person who's gone on about firearm concerns. However, when they've heard me out and I've put it into perspective most to their credit often reconsider their view point and realise that they've had a number of misconceptions about them.

I think we can thank the media for the current 'default reaction' regarding firearms. Thankfully there's still many logical people around willing to listen / have a debate over an issue / respect someone elses opinion for us to be able to set the record straight, but the media, and left wing are bent on getting their message across and stopping this.

Indeed - probably more concerning is the reaction now of the left when it comes to silencing anyone who dare opposes their ideologies. Debates are out of the question and they can't stomach the thought of someone else actually getting a message across that disagrees with them (or more correctly exposes their false claims).
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics