More oppression of firearms owners.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

More oppression of firearms owners.

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2017, 1:47 pm

http://www.communitynews.com.au/wanneroo-times/news/nowergup-antique-gun-collectors-arsenal-to-go-under-the-hammer/

"IT is a sad day for antique gun collector Leo Laden of Nowergup.

More than 300 lots of his military collection go under the hammer at McKenzies Auctioneers in Claremont at 6pm.

“Do you know how that is making me feel after collecting for all these years?” the 79-year-old said.

“I was 14 when I got my first dagger, a 100-year-old Kukri, with my own pocket money.

The former psychiatrist and RAF medical officer has been forced to sell 100 of his 200 guns after police said he would have to increase his security at his Nowergup property where he has run his Antique Arms and Armour Museum of WA.

“Those I’m selling you don’t need a licence for,” he said.

“They’re muzzle loaders, the ones you stick gun powder down the barrel.”

Dr Laden’s troubles started in April this year when he received a police inspection, the fifth in 40 years as a militaria dealer.

“They told me my security wasn’t good enough,” he said.

“I had a 400-year-old English Civil War musket* – a monster of a thing – I got from a castle in England.

“They said ‘you can’t have it on the wall; you might frighten someone’.

“I would have had to spend tens of thousands of dollars of security if I continued as a dealer.

“Up till this year’s inspection, there was no problem at all.”

The “very next day” he and his late wife Daphne received news that she had terminal cancer.

They had just returned from the national muzzle loading championships in Adelaide.

They had also over the years been part of world championships, Dr Laden talking part in nine of them.

He said in previous years when he was pictured in the Wanneroo Times, parents would bring their youngsters to his museum and he would take them through the history pertaining to pieces in the collection.

Now there is a sadness that it will not be happening again.

“I would let them feel the guns,” he said.

“Now you’re not allowed to let someone touch a gun they haven’t got a licence for.”

* Dr Laden’s English Civil War gun won’t be in tonight’s auction. He sold it to a fellow dealer and friend for $20,000.”
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: More oppression of firearms owners.

Post by AusTac » 09 Sep 2017, 2:19 pm

Poor fella, it just doesn't stop, doesn't sound like his ever put a foot wrong, and now due to the opinion of one officer his lifes passion work and a great collection is being dismantled peice by peice :(
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2017, 2:36 pm

Bloody Sad indeed, the world is run by stupid people these days with no commonsense evident in any of them! Farktards the lot of em!!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 09 Sep 2017, 2:43 pm

If you think this is not part of a coordinated agenda nation wide......
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Sep 2017, 2:56 pm

This is FU@KED!!!!! Where's duncan61 to tell us how great W.A laws are? :thumbsdown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2017, 3:07 pm

Daddybang wrote:This is FU@KED!!!!! Where's duncan61 to tell us how great W.A laws are? :thumbsdown:

Would a go-fund-me page help maybe? Never been involved with something like that, but he only needs ten grand to sort the problem.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Sep 2017, 3:17 pm

Mate I'm not sure how it works I don't have much to do with that type of thing either..but I'd be happy to help him out unfortunately it sounds like a done deal with it going to auction.
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 Sep 2017, 3:38 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:If you think this is not part of a coordinated agenda nation wide......

this
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Sep 2017, 1:23 am

Not even collectors are safe now what a sad day for that poor man and his wife
Old rifle hanging the wall has to be removed in case it frightens someone jesus has the world gone mad police and security hang them on their belts
every day I doubt they worry who they scare
I'm not religious but god bless this man for trying to save some of the history of the old diggers and the military
I think it would have meant a lot to those men that didn't come home

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by doc » 11 Sep 2017, 11:47 am

Nothing's changed, but this time around he was found not to be compliant? Is there a bit of creap occuring here?

Man I feel for this bloke. Served his country, lived a respectful life, and ends up being treated like this. Just crap!
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Daddybang » 11 Sep 2017, 11:55 am

doc wrote:Nothing's changed, but this time around he was found not to be compliant? Is there a bit of creap occuring here?

Man I feel for this bloke. Served his country, lived a respectful life, and ends up being treated like this. Just crap!

This^^^^ 100 percent correct :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by doc » 11 Sep 2017, 12:07 pm

Daddybang wrote:This^^^^ 100 percent correct :thumbsup:

Erk... except for the spelling. Maybe it's supposed to be 'creep' ;)
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Daddybang » 11 Sep 2017, 3:10 pm

doc wrote:
Daddybang wrote:This^^^^ 100 percent correct :thumbsup:

Erk... except for the spelling. Maybe it's supposed to be 'creep' ;)

That's OK I'm no grammar nazi :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by gazza » 11 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

Rough.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 11 Sep 2017, 11:29 pm

No fairness at all. With the money he gets from the auction, he should take the police to court. Don't know how it would work out, and he'd probably want to spend the money on his wife for cancer treatment, but its certainly not fair for the police to get away with a thing like this. We have to take every obstacle they throw at us and see it through to the end, even if it means going to court to try to appeal decisions like this.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 03 Oct 2017, 9:24 am

bladeracer wrote:“I had a 400-year-old English Civil War musket* – a monster of a thing – I got from a castle in England.

“They said ‘you can’t have it on the wall; you might frighten someone’.

Who? A random passer by trespasses onto your property and stares in the window? :roll:

Anyone who's realistically going to be in a position to see it is going to be there by invitation of the owner, knowing they'd be fine.

What BS.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by jmr22 » 04 Oct 2017, 9:47 am

Morning.

If anyone was listening to RN this morning they would have heard the absolute drivel coming from the mouth of a greens senator for NSW.

He was trying to link the shootings in the US to the ownership of sporting handguns in Australia as well as making claims that security guards etc should not be using automatics and instead should be using revolvers.

If you are going to all the trouble of getting your cat H there is a good chance you want to be legit.

This well and truly spells out the disgusting lies spread by the Greens after every tragedy involving d**kheads and guns.

I would consider myself slightly left leaning with regards to workers rights etc but as far as I'm concerned the former working mans parties in this country have lost me completely.

Rant over!

cheers.
.177 auto pellet gun
.22lr Marlin box
.22lr Marlin tube mag
.243 Sterling
.30-06 Argentinian
12ga Armed o/u
12ga straight pull STP
jmr22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by doc » 04 Oct 2017, 10:44 am

Drivel for sure. And if the host didn't answer questions to make him back up his reasons - the host is just as culpable.

I'll admit for self defense as a security guard (if I was one) my preference would probably be for a revolver over an auto (at least with my limited knowledge of these firearms) - because as I understand it, Revolvers don't jam, and if the first shot doesn't go bang, you just pull the trigger again - not having to worry about clearing jams, etc in a nasty situation.

But that preference is based on redundancy concerns and needing less training, not unicorns and fairy's that using a revolver instead of a pistol will stop someone from being evil.

I mean seriously - what difference does it matter if a security guard uses which type? Either they're safe and responsible to carry them - or they're not. Having one type isn't going to make 2 iota's of difference,

As for fast reloading and pistols being faster... I love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Firearms related media and politics