Muzzle brakes banned (my local SSAA range QLD)

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Muzzle brakes banned (my local SSAA range QLD)

Post by KennyA » 01 Oct 2017, 6:59 am

Shock horror.
My local SSAA range (Qld) last week put a blanket ban on any rifle with a muzzle brake.
Prior to this, they would allow them so long as no one put in a complaint.
Shooters with muzzle brakes were normally placed at the far end of the shooting stations.

Apparently this ban is a result of a member sueing SSAA for hearing loss. Or that's what I was told by the range officer.

Far out, SSAA should support any forms of legal firearms and or their accessories.
SSAA should look at ways of accomodating shooters using muzzle brake.
Taking the stance on banning is the easy political out. Like all our politicians do.

I also hear many negative comments from the range officers re any modern chassis rifles.
It's clear to me that SSAA is not geared to a modern changing market in firearms. And younger shooting taking up the sport.

SSAA, not every new shooter wants to shoot 22lr, lever action or black powder and that is what I see at our local range.
Last edited by Blackened on 03 Oct 2017, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Breaks to brakes
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Muzzle breaks banned

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 7:07 am

Frightened of having to make a withdrawal out of the slush fund that is our fees.
Surely nobody can win that sort of case though? Hearing loss while shooting at a range, despite all the rules requiring hearing protection.
Last edited by bladeracer on 01 Oct 2017, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 01 Oct 2017, 8:56 am

I wonder if the tosser did actually win would it set a precedent for suing the government for not allowing moderators? :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 01 Oct 2017, 10:00 am

My SSAA has already got signs about hearing protection, however has to put up the Blue PPE signs etc and all RO's have been advised to make sure all people are wearing hearing protection for the same reason.

Unfortunately some people will not accept responsibility for their own actions.

Reharding chassis set-ups etc, everyone is entitled to an opinion obviously, but yes some people overly bag them. Also remember though not all young people are into that same chassis style. Im young and i hate them for instance. As i say, to each his own, as long as the owner is happy that is all that matters, and we should all be one big happy family
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 10:13 am

Mitch wrote:Regarding chassis set-ups etc, everyone is entitled to an opinion obviously, but yes some people overly bag them. Also remember though not all young people are into that same chassis style. Im young and i hate them for instance. As i say, to each his own, as long as the owner is happy that is all that matters, and we should all be one big happy family

I get annoyed by people that equate "modern" with "military". Using modern designs, materials and manufacturing processes to build firearms is just common sense, nothing to do with being "military".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Oct 2017, 10:13 am

"My SSAA has already got signs about hearing protection, however has to put up the Blue PPE signs etc and all RO's have been advised to make sure all people are wearing hearing protection for the same reason."

Should have already be in place yonks ago. Those signs are an industry/Australian Standard. Required at any noisy workplace. A short warning I would think too.
e.g. "Shooting to commence in one minute" Safety Glasses signage to if they are a requirement.

Pretty darn basic if you ask me.

Perhaps thay need some OHS Advice? SSAA can PM me anytime. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Oct 2017, 2:14 pm

Won't be long before you won't be able to get a gun licence unless you are a member of the SSAA they will do
a deal with the gov like trade offs banning of certain guns and stocks for 100% membership for SSAA
Don't take my word for it just watch and weep when it does happen then the gov will have the upper hand and goodness knows
what will happen then because the SSAA would have lost face with the shooters and squabbles will begin to happen
'' Divide and conquer ''
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 01 Oct 2017, 3:20 pm

I'm getting started again :lol:
ssaa little river tried banning muzzle brakes a few years ago just before they had a change in chief executive officer and so called facility's manager
the muzzle brake users got together and put in a petition against and threatening to sue the club, I remember one bloke a really good guy who had 6 firearms with muzzle brakes that said "my firearms are worth more than 60 + k I will donate 10 k to fight this" he did not hunt and his hobby was to go there and shoot once a week, I kept stirring him up a bit calling him an endangered species, its the only time I've ever seen him angry

the reason they wanted to ban the muzzle brakes was because the sub clubs who shot on the main public range thought the muzzle brakes were to noisy and put them off there shooting, the muzzle brakes have always had there area that did not include the muzzle brakes on the comp rifles who shot with muzzle brakes where ever they wanted, of coarse they were ok

the answer to why not the comp rifles was that it is there club :crazy:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Oct 2017, 3:36 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Won't be long before you won't be able to get a gun licence unless you are a member of the SSAA they will do
a deal with the gov like trade offs banning of certain guns and stocks for 100% membership for SSAA
Don't take my word for it just watch and weep when it does happen then the gov will have the upper hand and goodness knows
what will happen then because the SSAA would have lost face with the shooters and squabbles will begin to happen
'' Divide and conquer ''

I know this to be fact and they already have
the ssaa said at the stealback to the members to just go along with what little flack jacket Johnny proposed as it was going to happen anyway,
that saved there arses and put money back into there pockets stopping them from going bankrupt as long as you were a member for a genuine reason
it was explained to me long ago when I had an interest in the ssaa that the ssaa is run on memberships not ranges and that's why more than 95% of members do not go to ranges but use the membership for a genuine reason for getting there licience or insurance, they are not for you but for themselves
try posting negatively on there facebook, it wont be there long if at all
they can suck my a-hole out
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Oct 2017, 5:00 pm

It sounds like there is a big divide already between non braked and braked rifle people
It's like after buying a house beside an airport what possess them to complain after knowing that it was there
years before they bought the house
Why don't they just use some common sense and use appropriate ( PPE ) Personal Protective Equipment as required by
Work Place Health and Safety if they had that it beats me how the brake would be too loud
All else failing have different days for braked and non braked shooting probably a little inconvenient but may solve the problem

Maybe put a bag of cement at the entry to the range, open it and put 2 teaspoons in it so non brake people can take a spoonful
on entry so as to harden up a little
You never know the Taliban might complain about our forces using them to too loud while trying to shoot
YEP! that's how silly it sounds ( Too loud while trying to take a shot ) GEEEEEZUS
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Oct 2017, 6:56 pm

I agree. Although to be certain measurements would need to be taken normal PPE is unlikely to provide sufficient protection to ensure no hearing loss if exposed regularly. Even perhaps once off. They certainly are very loud.

I rarely go to ranges but last trip I noticed there was no warning. So the RO just announce commence firing, about 2 second later bang, bang. If you were near the shot you copped it full on. As not enough time to put on PPE
Last edited by Oldbloke on 02 Oct 2017, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ben78 » 01 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

My local range has these steel baffle plates so you can aim above the back stop, almost fully encloses the benches. When I shoot my non braked 308 there I get a headache. I started wearing ear muffs over the top of my in ear plugs and no longer have an issue. Apparently I should have petitioned the SSAA to just ban anything larger than 223 based cases!
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by andreweden » 01 Oct 2017, 8:02 pm

Was it Ripley?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by drizo » 01 Oct 2017, 8:34 pm

Sounds like Ripley to me, I’m pretty sure Belmont already have a brake ban
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 01 Oct 2017, 8:41 pm

Hope not. If the RO was actually wearing new class 5 hearing protection I might have some sympathy, but I am sure they are not. A bunch of them only use those behind the neck holders for plugs only. And then they complain about the rifle!?!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 01 Oct 2017, 8:42 pm

Hope not. If the RO was actually wearing new class 5 hearing protection I might have some sympathy, but I am sure they are not. A bunch of them only use those behind the neck holders for plugs only. And then they complain about the rifle!?!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 01 Oct 2017, 9:57 pm

drizo wrote:Sounds like Ripley to me, I’m pretty sure Belmont already have a brake ban

It's not Ripley, seen brakes used there before. Must be Belmont, as recently as 6 weeks ago I was there and folks were using brakes... I could be wrong though. It's absolute BS. I have made a few complaints on the SSAA QLD branch FB page, was banned, blocked and deleted. Same as Southport SSAA pistol club, made a complaint on their FB page, same thing. Funny as, I'm a paying member. Any negative post they don't like it. Not renewing my membership. They can go EAD! They are parasites....

You go to Belmont and it's an absolute joke. Benches not fully utilised, all the old boys on the first 5 benches...doing fark all, maybe a few shots, then talk some sh@t, few more shots then leave.

They need to go by the way of the DODO and we get a decent organisation that is dead set for the shooter, whatever your style :thumbsup:

End rant :drinks:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Oct 2017, 9:58 pm

Well I rest my case Oldbloke after reading your post as well as Sungazers they sound as though they can be slightly troublesome
And starting to shoot without warning would be slightly annoying so if the brakers can't get a system that respects non brakers space
then they might be on the right track by removing them all together after all why were brakes allowed in the first place if they're so loud?
Wouldn't it be more of a competition if the rifle was built or bought stock standard ? It would test the ability of the trigger man more so
After hearing all this I have no intention of joining a club or the SSAA just yet too many loose ends need tidying up
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 01 Oct 2017, 10:31 pm

I have several large caliber rifles fitted with brakes and have been the victim of the sheeple affect a few times. I go to the range, get right down the end right the f.. away where I'm not upsetting anyone only to have some FUDD setup next to me then whinge about the noise. FFS it's a shooting range, if you don't like noise then take up laser tag !!! I use plugs and muffs on the serious stuff cause I know they are noisy and I take responsibility for my own well being.

I will admit to pulling the trigger as the nobjocky in the bay next to me was patching his target....envision ticker tape parade :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 02 Oct 2017, 12:24 am

Its the future, always be some kent complaining :crazy: ... It kicks to hard, Its to loud, Its a gun (guns are bad) FFS. :wtf: . Spoon full of concrete is good advice!. :thumbsup:.

If this post offends you... :unknown:

Then I'm NOT sorry!!!..... :lol:

You should sell your guns and take up the violin !!!.... :violin: . Assuming you can handle the noise etc.. :lol: Gee wiz , if shooters of any discipline are really this soft?... :thumbsdown:

Then I may just hand my guns in so that I'm not seen to be the same (by way of association)... :oops: . FFS Surely we have bigger problems as LFO's than some bloke using a friggin brake ? .... :? :wtf: :unknown: :shock: :shock: :shock:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2017, 3:42 am

brett1868 wrote:I will admit to pulling the trigger as the nobjocky in the bay next to me was patching his target....envision ticker tape parade :)

Damn - did you remember to set up a GoPro beforehand!
I'd pay money to see that :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2017, 4:19 am

andreweden wrote: A bunch of them only use those behind the neck holders for plugs only. And then they complain about the rifle!?!

Pretty sure they are only class 2. Should be mandatory class 5 for ROs. And minimum Class 4 for all shooters. Very hard to police though.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by drizo » 02 Oct 2017, 6:15 am

Well said Sam45
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 02 Oct 2017, 8:07 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Pretty sure they are only class 2. Should be mandatory class 5 for ROs. And minimum Class 4 for all shooters. Very hard to police though.

Easier to police than most stuff they carry on about.
It's written on the side!!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

grandadbushy wrote:Well I rest my case Oldbloke after reading your post as well as Sungazers they sound as though they can be slightly troublesome
And starting to shoot without warning would be slightly annoying so if the brakers can't get a system that respects non brakers space
then they might be on the right track by removing them all together after all why were brakes allowed in the first place if they're so loud?
Wouldn't it be more of a competition if the rifle was built or bought stock standard ? It would test the ability of the trigger man more so
After hearing all this I have no intention of joining a club or the SSAA just yet too many loose ends need tidying up

at the ssaa range I have spoken about the muzzle brakes are put up the other end well away from everyone else and as far as the noise level of brakes go when the ssaa little river were talking about banning the muzzle brakes and hit opposition they did noise level tests that I witnessed with a braked 338lap and general calibres at the range at the time, the results were that the 338lap was if I remember correctly 3 decibels higher than a 308 tikka lite, its the muzzle blast that you react to not the noise and its not the guy next to the brake who is in for it it is the guy 2 benches over who will cop it, the comp guys I spoke about who apparently complained probably didn't, the chief range officer at this range was the one who spread about the rumour that the comp guys wanted the muzzle brakes removed.
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Oct 2017, 9:37 am

Oldbloke wrote:
andreweden wrote: A bunch of them only use those behind the neck holders for plugs only. And then they complain about the rifle!?!

you are dead right with this Oldbloke, just because its a club does not mean they can get away with not supplying proper hearing protection for there RO's some RO's don't even realise they are supposed to be supplied and must be class 5 as stated in OHS law,
this was an issue at little river until recently, apparently they supply the hearing protection now

also because of the noise levels and being ongoing the RO's are supposed to have breaks away from the noise but they don't,
they don't even get a lunch or smoko break eating there lunch on the run or leaving the range short handed to get food
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Oct 2017, 10:30 am

Geez Marksman it sounds like the Chief Range Officer needs a break himself permanent for starting rumors such as that
And if they are having trouble having breaks and eating on the run it sounds like there's not enough rangers couldn't they have
fill in or temporary ones for giving the other ones a break
As an outsider never shot on a range I can see argument for and against but as Darwindingo said in a round about way that it is a
noisy sport and always has been as far as I know
I myself have learnt a few things here and slightly realise that brakes will be used more and more as more people use more larger
calibers on the ranges and it sounds as though the people who run the ranges need to listen to the shooters more to try and iron out
these problems ( Christ haven't us shooters got enough problems with these gun laws of today ?)

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by KennyA » 02 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

Did anyone go to the SSAA Shot Show.
Did you notice just how many exhibitors were showing their latest and greatest weapons.
How many of them had threaded barrels,
How many are now supplied from the factory with a muzzle break.
How many custom rifle manufactures had muzzle breaks on all their large caliber rifles.

Does SSAA support and take money off these exhibitors..?

It's all about gearing up for a changing market.

But it's a lot easier to just stick your head in the sand.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2017, 12:01 pm

Yep, it's a range expect lots oF noise. It just needs to be managed. The simplest is to isolate the muzzle brakes to one area. Seems some ranges do that. But no reason why people should be exposed to unnecessary noise.

The impression I get is SSAA is much the same as many businesses & just does what it thinks it should or is told to do. Reactionary. They probably need a planned and systematic approach to their safety issues nationally.

I can recall phoning little river offering free OHS assistance after a significant news worthy incident. I was just told nicely to go away.

Looks like amatures trying to do what a professional should be doing.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 02 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

Maybe instead of trying to go far their own members they should be publically lobbying for suppressors? Or would that rock that precious little boat SSAA loves so much...
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics