Muzzle brakes banned (my local SSAA range QLD)

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Muzzle breaks banned

Post by brett1868 » 01 Oct 2017, 10:31 pm

I have several large caliber rifles fitted with brakes and have been the victim of the sheeple affect a few times. I go to the range, get right down the end right the f.. away where I'm not upsetting anyone only to have some FUDD setup next to me then whinge about the noise. FFS it's a shooting range, if you don't like noise then take up laser tag !!! I use plugs and muffs on the serious stuff cause I know they are noisy and I take responsibility for my own well being.

I will admit to pulling the trigger as the nobjocky in the bay next to me was patching his target....envision ticker tape parade :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 02 Oct 2017, 12:24 am

Its the future, always be some kent complaining :crazy: ... It kicks to hard, Its to loud, Its a gun (guns are bad) FFS. :wtf: . Spoon full of concrete is good advice!. :thumbsup:.

If this post offends you... :unknown:

Then I'm NOT sorry!!!..... :lol:

You should sell your guns and take up the violin !!!.... :violin: . Assuming you can handle the noise etc.. :lol: Gee wiz , if shooters of any discipline are really this soft?... :thumbsdown:

Then I may just hand my guns in so that I'm not seen to be the same (by way of association)... :oops: . FFS Surely we have bigger problems as LFO's than some bloke using a friggin brake ? .... :? :wtf: :unknown: :shock: :shock: :shock:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2017, 3:42 am

brett1868 wrote:I will admit to pulling the trigger as the nobjocky in the bay next to me was patching his target....envision ticker tape parade :)

Damn - did you remember to set up a GoPro beforehand!
I'd pay money to see that :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2017, 4:19 am

andreweden wrote: A bunch of them only use those behind the neck holders for plugs only. And then they complain about the rifle!?!

Pretty sure they are only class 2. Should be mandatory class 5 for ROs. And minimum Class 4 for all shooters. Very hard to police though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by drizo » 02 Oct 2017, 6:15 am

Well said Sam45
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 02 Oct 2017, 8:07 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Pretty sure they are only class 2. Should be mandatory class 5 for ROs. And minimum Class 4 for all shooters. Very hard to police though.

Easier to police than most stuff they carry on about.
It's written on the side!!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

grandadbushy wrote:Well I rest my case Oldbloke after reading your post as well as Sungazers they sound as though they can be slightly troublesome
And starting to shoot without warning would be slightly annoying so if the brakers can't get a system that respects non brakers space
then they might be on the right track by removing them all together after all why were brakes allowed in the first place if they're so loud?
Wouldn't it be more of a competition if the rifle was built or bought stock standard ? It would test the ability of the trigger man more so
After hearing all this I have no intention of joining a club or the SSAA just yet too many loose ends need tidying up

at the ssaa range I have spoken about the muzzle brakes are put up the other end well away from everyone else and as far as the noise level of brakes go when the ssaa little river were talking about banning the muzzle brakes and hit opposition they did noise level tests that I witnessed with a braked 338lap and general calibres at the range at the time, the results were that the 338lap was if I remember correctly 3 decibels higher than a 308 tikka lite, its the muzzle blast that you react to not the noise and its not the guy next to the brake who is in for it it is the guy 2 benches over who will cop it, the comp guys I spoke about who apparently complained probably didn't, the chief range officer at this range was the one who spread about the rumour that the comp guys wanted the muzzle brakes removed.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Oct 2017, 9:37 am

Oldbloke wrote:
andreweden wrote: A bunch of them only use those behind the neck holders for plugs only. And then they complain about the rifle!?!

you are dead right with this Oldbloke, just because its a club does not mean they can get away with not supplying proper hearing protection for there RO's some RO's don't even realise they are supposed to be supplied and must be class 5 as stated in OHS law,
this was an issue at little river until recently, apparently they supply the hearing protection now

also because of the noise levels and being ongoing the RO's are supposed to have breaks away from the noise but they don't,
they don't even get a lunch or smoko break eating there lunch on the run or leaving the range short handed to get food
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Oct 2017, 10:30 am

Geez Marksman it sounds like the Chief Range Officer needs a break himself permanent for starting rumors such as that
And if they are having trouble having breaks and eating on the run it sounds like there's not enough rangers couldn't they have
fill in or temporary ones for giving the other ones a break
As an outsider never shot on a range I can see argument for and against but as Darwindingo said in a round about way that it is a
noisy sport and always has been as far as I know
I myself have learnt a few things here and slightly realise that brakes will be used more and more as more people use more larger
calibers on the ranges and it sounds as though the people who run the ranges need to listen to the shooters more to try and iron out
these problems ( Christ haven't us shooters got enough problems with these gun laws of today ?)

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by KennyA » 02 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

Did anyone go to the SSAA Shot Show.
Did you notice just how many exhibitors were showing their latest and greatest weapons.
How many of them had threaded barrels,
How many are now supplied from the factory with a muzzle break.
How many custom rifle manufactures had muzzle breaks on all their large caliber rifles.

Does SSAA support and take money off these exhibitors..?

It's all about gearing up for a changing market.

But it's a lot easier to just stick your head in the sand.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2017, 12:01 pm

Yep, it's a range expect lots oF noise. It just needs to be managed. The simplest is to isolate the muzzle brakes to one area. Seems some ranges do that. But no reason why people should be exposed to unnecessary noise.

The impression I get is SSAA is much the same as many businesses & just does what it thinks it should or is told to do. Reactionary. They probably need a planned and systematic approach to their safety issues nationally.

I can recall phoning little river offering free OHS assistance after a significant news worthy incident. I was just told nicely to go away.

Looks like amatures trying to do what a professional should be doing.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 02 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

Maybe instead of trying to go far their own members they should be publically lobbying for suppressors? Or would that rock that precious little boat SSAA loves so much...
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 02 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

In my relatively short 10 year career in shooting at all kinds of ranges I've learned a few things.

1) the people who complain about the way ranger are run are the ones who use them the least.

2) most of the loudest anti SSAA voices come from people who do the least to help run, organise and staff these ranges

And 3) if you don't like the way things are run and the rules put in place do something about it. Sitting back whinging because when you take your rifle to a range 2-4 times a year to get your minimum attendances (usually in the month before reports are done) dont complain about the way rules that are put in place after the guys that are there week in and week out mentoring people and training kids get together and decide that guys with more money than shooting ability turn up with FFP 32 power scopes and chassis rifles with brakes on them but can't shoot to save themselves so want to shoot at 50-100m with all the rimfire guys can go jump in the creek :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Oct 2017, 7:15 pm

Well i agree brakes should most definately be accommodated for...!!! After all we all supposedly enjoy the same sport.

However I shoot at a casual club where you shoot what you want when you want...
And, i believe rightfully so, people get upset when someone rocks up with no 'respectful' notice to fellow shooters or RO's that he's about to unleash bedlam on others nervous systems by shooting a breaked 300wm or the likes.

One day a non club member (but ssaa member) stopped to shoot some rounds, plonked himself next to me--i never took any notice of what he was about to shoot....& didnt get any warning from this bloke which i think is just plain piggery...!

I sat down to shoot my .222, took up tension on the trigger...and...F**KN WALLOP...!!!
It blew the lid of my ammo box shut & my heart left my mouth at about 3000fps--left me flinchy for the next hour...
i tried to put up with it but 3 shots was all i could manage...so i had to move as naturally it was inconvenient for him to move to the empty end of the range...
I finally caught up with my skeletal system down the freeway half way home... :lol:

I have nothing againt brakes, but i have no respect for inconsiderate's with an over-inflated sense of self righteousnes who shoot them with no regard for other shooters.
I certainly wouldnt plonk myself in between a bunch of .22lr's shooting subs with my hot loaded 7-08 without first asking...

Sorry bout that rant :D ...its off my chest now...
Nothing against you respectful shooters with brakes...! :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2017, 8:23 pm

"338lap was if I remember correctly 3 decibels higher than a 308 tikka lite, its the muzzle blast "

3db is DOUBLE. It's a big increase. That's if they know how to correctly measure the sound!

I went to little river about 6 months ago. Haven't been for years. And your right ROs didn't get a lunch break. Pretty piss poor.

Brakes are here. They should IMHO, be separated from other shooters. Simple really. Just an area put aside with some signage.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 02 Oct 2017, 8:37 pm

Chronos wrote:In my relatively short 10 year career in shooting at all kinds of ranges I've learned a few things.

1) the people who complain about the way ranger are run are the ones who use them the least.

2) most of the loudest anti SSAA voices come from people who do the least to help run, organise and staff these ranges

And 3) if you don't like the way things are run and the rules put in place do something about it. Sitting back whinging because when you take your rifle to a range 2-4 times a year to get your minimum attendances (usually in the month before reports are done) dont complain about the way rules that are put in place after the guys that are there week in and week out mentoring people and training kids get together and decide that guys with more money than shooting ability turn up with FFP 32 power scopes and chassis rifles with brakes on them but can't shoot to save themselves so want to shoot at 50-100m with all the rimfire guys can go jump in the creek :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chronos

Totally agree, took the words out of my mouth lol, have been around a lot of ranges for the last 25 odd years and seen it all. If memory serves me muzzle brakes were not welcomed on any SSAA range, its only recently they have " tolerated " their use, personally see no need for them on a range as they are just plain obnoxious for everyone around and have no qualms in telling someone using one on a bench next to me where he can shove his muzzle brake especially if I am teaching one of my sons with a rimfire or air rifle :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

Gee sounds like this yes brake no brake saga is going to be here fore awhile '' Seeech ''
I don't have that problem at my club I've just got a large key ring with many keys on it and I just select a key
ring the owner let them know i'll be on their property close the gate behind me and lock it then start what I
came to do no arguments about brakes there
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2017, 8:55 pm

Are they generally speaking easily removed.?
Arn't they mostly just screwed on or use a grub screw?

Oops, just realised, the whimps who have them can't shoot them on the bench without the brake.. Just joking, so no point removing them.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 02 Oct 2017, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Oct 2017, 8:55 pm

drizo wrote:Sounds like Ripley to me, I’m pretty sure Belmont already have a brake ban

Nope, Belmont does not have a break ban but must use benches from about midway up. I was there last Wednesday and all was sweet.

AND SAM45, I reckon you're blowing hot air out of ya and yes, the last few weeks I've shot on the 1st 5 benches and there has been 2 young guys (223s), a 40ish (308), another (270) and 7mm Rem mag. sharing the other benches. If you want to gain a bit of knowledge ask a "old Dude", if you want to talk rubbish, well good luck but get your facts right... :lol:

AND at Belmont, as you enter the front door, have a look - there is a BIG sign re ear protection and also on the range proper!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Browning » 02 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

Stix wrote:Well i agree brakes should most definately be accommodated for...!!! After all we all supposedly enjoy the same sport.

And, i believe rightfully so, people get upset when someone rocks up with no 'respectful' notice to fellow shooters or RO's that he's about to unleash bedlam on others nervous systems by shooting a breaked 300wm or the likes.

One day a non club member (but ssaa member) stopped to shoot some rounds, plonked himself next to me--i never took any notice of what he was about to shoot....& didnt get any warning from this bloke which i think is just plain piggery...!

I sat down to shoot my .222, took up tension on the trigger...and...F**KN WALLOP...!!!
It blew the lid of my ammo box shut & my heart left my mouth at about 3000fps--left me flinchy for the next hour...
i tried to put up with it but 3 shots was all i could manage...so i had to move as naturally it was inconvenient for him to move to the empty end of the range...
I finally caught up with my skeletal system down the freeway half way home... :lol:

I have nothing againt brakes, but i have no respect for inconsiderate's with an over-inflated sense of self righteousnes who shoot them with no regard for other shooters.
I certainly wouldnt plonk myself in between a bunch of .22lr's shooting subs with my hot loaded 7-08 without first asking...

Could not agree more. Love the analogies and have had the same experiences. Thankfully I rarely need to hit the range these days and I’m glad the rest of my time is spent in the field.
Each to to their, but glad I don’t have to sit next MB’s any more.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Gee sounds like this yes brake no brake saga is going to be here fore awhile '' Seeech ''
I don't have that problem at my club I've just got a large key ring with many keys on it and I just select a key
ring the owner let them know i'll be on their property close the gate behind me and lock it then start what I
came to do no arguments about brakes there
Cheers

Yep something to be said to be lucky enough to not have to use a range :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 03 Oct 2017, 1:16 am

I think OB is on the money with ranges setting aside an area for those using brakes, It would accommodate both those that choose to use them and those that would rather not be anywhere near them... It would not effect those that do their best to be respectful of others at the range and would negate the negative impact of the less respectful individuals..

It goes without saying that our shooting sports can be loud, but a little respect and tolerance for each other certainly can't go astray... :friends:

I have a big issue with the concept of banning something when there are other ways to resolve the divide...

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2017, 6:04 am

Chronos wrote:In my relatively short 10 year career in shooting at all kinds of ranges I've learned a few things.

If I didn't enjoy my first few times at a range I wouldn't be going back unless I had to...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Muzzle brakes banned (my local SSAA range QLD)

Post by andreweden » 03 Oct 2017, 6:29 pm

My experience with my M98B in 308 with its muzzle brake is that I go to the far end of the range well away from people, after an hour someone comes along and plonks themselves next to me when there are plenty of other spare bays. After a few shots they make a face like someone has shat in their mouth and makes toddler like flouncy moves as they give up on shooting until the cease fire. They then announce that I should move because it is knocking them about too much.

I'm new at the range and move, but really!?!?!?? I was there down the end the RO asked me to go with my rifle and was there first. Today in the same situation I wouldn't move, I'd tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 03 Oct 2017, 6:30 pm

Or to quote a pirate, I would be disinclined to acquiesce to his request.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Oct 2017, 7:28 pm

andreweden wrote:My experience with my M98B in 308 with its muzzle brake is that I go to the far end of the range well away from people, after an hour someone comes along and plonks themselves next to me when there are plenty of other spare bays. After a few shots they make a face like someone has shat in their mouth and makes toddler like flouncy moves as they give up on shooting until the cease fire. They then announce that I should move because it is knocking them about too much.

I'm new at the range and move, but really!?!?!?? I was there down the end the RO asked me to go with my rifle and was there first. Today in the same situation I wouldn't move, I'd tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.

Well Andreweden...i rekon we get the dick you've described, & put him in a ceramic box with the guy i described in my earlier rant in this thread, & let the inconsiderate twats fight it out amogst themselves & we'll sit there laughing at them...!

As i said earlier, i hate shooting next to a brake but a little common sense & respect for fellow shooters goes a long way...

Unfortunately there are too many fwits that seem to think firearm ownership negates the need for common courtesy. ..especially as mentioned earlier by others--the d**kwits who dont frequent the range yet seem to think they're gods gift when they do...!

& just on that note, the twat i spoke about earlier in my rant said he was sighting his 300wm in for a long range deer hunt...he shot a 4.5" group @100m... (fair dinkum a right f**kn wa*k*r...!!!)..
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 03 Oct 2017, 7:38 pm

Browning wrote:
Stix wrote:Well i agree brakes should most definately be accommodated for...!!! After all we all supposedly enjoy the same sport.

Could not agree more. Love the analogies and have had the same experiences. Thankfully I rarely need to hit the range these days and I’m glad the rest of my time is spent in the field.
Each to to their, but glad I don’t have to sit next MB’s any more.

...:D ...

Well your lucky with little time at the range...hopefully ill get to that stage sooner than later...
But for me all available properties to hunt on are minimum 2hrs, 3hrs, 3.5hrs & 4hrs away...but the range is only an hour away...so the range it is for me when it comes to milking accuracy & trying out different components with a 5 rifles...
Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by andreweden » 03 Oct 2017, 7:38 pm

Bring on the ceramic box! :-)
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Oct 2017, 8:25 pm

a
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Oct 2017, 8:35 pm

Fair dinkim Stix he was setting up for long distance deer hunting with 41/2'' at 100 yds don't you just love these people
Sounds like he hadn't even worked up a load yet
Give him time a few bruises down the line he may be quiet a good shot providing he hasn't developed a flinch
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics