Muzzle brakes banned (my local SSAA range QLD)

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Muzzle breaks banned

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Oct 2017, 8:55 pm

drizo wrote:Sounds like Ripley to me, I’m pretty sure Belmont already have a brake ban

Nope, Belmont does not have a break ban but must use benches from about midway up. I was there last Wednesday and all was sweet.

AND SAM45, I reckon you're blowing hot air out of ya and yes, the last few weeks I've shot on the 1st 5 benches and there has been 2 young guys (223s), a 40ish (308), another (270) and 7mm Rem mag. sharing the other benches. If you want to gain a bit of knowledge ask a "old Dude", if you want to talk rubbish, well good luck but get your facts right... :lol:

AND at Belmont, as you enter the front door, have a look - there is a BIG sign re ear protection and also on the range proper!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Browning » 02 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

Stix wrote:Well i agree brakes should most definately be accommodated for...!!! After all we all supposedly enjoy the same sport.

However I shoot at a casual club where you shoot what you want when you want...
And, i believe rightfully so, people get upset when someone rocks up with no 'respectful' notice to fellow shooters or RO's that he's about to unleash bedlam on others nervous systems by shooting a breaked 300wm or the likes.

One day a non club member (but ssaa member) stopped to shoot some rounds, plonked himself next to me--i never took any notice of what he was about to shoot....& didnt get any warning from this bloke which i think is just plain piggery...!

I sat down to shoot my .222, took up tension on the trigger...and...F**KN WALLOP...!!!
It blew the lid of my ammo box shut & my heart left my mouth at about 3000fps--left me flinchy for the next hour...
i tried to put up with it but 3 shots was all i could manage...so i had to move as naturally it was inconvenient for him to move to the empty end of the range...
I finally caught up with my skeletal system down the freeway half way home... :lol:

I have nothing againt brakes, but i have no respect for inconsiderate's with an over-inflated sense of self righteousnes who shoot them with no regard for other shooters.
I certainly wouldnt plonk myself in between a bunch of .22lr's shooting subs with my hot loaded 7-08 without first asking...

Sorry bout that rant :D ...its off my chest now...
Nothing against you respectful shooters with brakes...! :D

Could not agree more. Love the analogies and have had the same experiences. Thankfully I rarely need to hit the range these days and I’m glad the rest of my time is spent in the field.
Each to to their, but glad I don’t have to sit next MB’s any more.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Gee sounds like this yes brake no brake saga is going to be here fore awhile '' Seeech ''
I don't have that problem at my club I've just got a large key ring with many keys on it and I just select a key
ring the owner let them know i'll be on their property close the gate behind me and lock it then start what I
came to do no arguments about brakes there
Cheers

Yep something to be said to be lucky enough to not have to use a range :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 03 Oct 2017, 1:16 am

I think OB is on the money with ranges setting aside an area for those using brakes, It would accommodate both those that choose to use them and those that would rather not be anywhere near them... It would not effect those that do their best to be respectful of others at the range and would negate the negative impact of the less respectful individuals..

It goes without saying that our shooting sports can be loud, but a little respect and tolerance for each other certainly can't go astray... :friends:

I have a big issue with the concept of banning something when there are other ways to resolve the divide...

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2017, 6:04 am

Chronos wrote:In my relatively short 10 year career in shooting at all kinds of ranges I've learned a few things.

1) the people who complain about the way ranger are run are the ones who use them the least.

If I didn't enjoy my first few times at a range I wouldn't be going back unless I had to...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Muzzle brakes banned (my local SSAA range QLD)

Post by andreweden » 03 Oct 2017, 6:29 pm

My experience with my M98B in 308 with its muzzle brake is that I go to the far end of the range well away from people, after an hour someone comes along and plonks themselves next to me when there are plenty of other spare bays. After a few shots they make a face like someone has shat in their mouth and makes toddler like flouncy moves as they give up on shooting until the cease fire. They then announce that I should move because it is knocking them about too much.

I'm new at the range and move, but really!?!?!?? I was there down the end the RO asked me to go with my rifle and was there first. Today in the same situation I wouldn't move, I'd tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 03 Oct 2017, 6:30 pm

Or to quote a pirate, I would be disinclined to acquiesce to his request.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Oct 2017, 7:28 pm

andreweden wrote:My experience with my M98B in 308 with its muzzle brake is that I go to the far end of the range well away from people, after an hour someone comes along and plonks themselves next to me when there are plenty of other spare bays. After a few shots they make a face like someone has shat in their mouth and makes toddler like flouncy moves as they give up on shooting until the cease fire. They then announce that I should move because it is knocking them about too much.

I'm new at the range and move, but really!?!?!?? I was there down the end the RO asked me to go with my rifle and was there first. Today in the same situation I wouldn't move, I'd tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.

Well Andreweden...i rekon we get the dick you've described, & put him in a ceramic box with the guy i described in my earlier rant in this thread, & let the inconsiderate twats fight it out amogst themselves & we'll sit there laughing at them...!

As i said earlier, i hate shooting next to a brake but a little common sense & respect for fellow shooters goes a long way...

Unfortunately there are too many fwits that seem to think firearm ownership negates the need for common courtesy. ..especially as mentioned earlier by others--the d**kwits who dont frequent the range yet seem to think they're gods gift when they do...!

& just on that note, the twat i spoke about earlier in my rant said he was sighting his 300wm in for a long range deer hunt...he shot a 4.5" group @100m... (fair dinkum a right f**kn wa*k*r...!!!)..
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 03 Oct 2017, 7:38 pm

Browning wrote:
Stix wrote:Well i agree brakes should most definately be accommodated for...!!! After all we all supposedly enjoy the same sport.

However I shoot at a casual club where you shoot what you want when you want...
And, i believe rightfully so, people get upset when someone rocks up with no 'respectful' notice to fellow shooters or RO's that he's about to unleash bedlam on others nervous systems by shooting a breaked 300wm or the likes.

One day a non club member (but ssaa member) stopped to shoot some rounds, plonked himself next to me--i never took any notice of what he was about to shoot....& didnt get any warning from this bloke which i think is just plain piggery...!

I sat down to shoot my .222, took up tension on the trigger...and...F**KN WALLOP...!!!
It blew the lid of my ammo box shut & my heart left my mouth at about 3000fps--left me flinchy for the next hour...
i tried to put up with it but 3 shots was all i could manage...so i had to move as naturally it was inconvenient for him to move to the empty end of the range...
I finally caught up with my skeletal system down the freeway half way home... :lol:

I have nothing againt brakes, but i have no respect for inconsiderate's with an over-inflated sense of self righteousnes who shoot them with no regard for other shooters.
I certainly wouldnt plonk myself in between a bunch of .22lr's shooting subs with my hot loaded 7-08 without first asking...

Sorry bout that rant :D ...its off my chest now...
Nothing against you respectful shooters with brakes...! :D

Could not agree more. Love the analogies and have had the same experiences. Thankfully I rarely need to hit the range these days and I’m glad the rest of my time is spent in the field.
Each to to their, but glad I don’t have to sit next MB’s any more.

...:D ...

Well your lucky with little time at the range...hopefully ill get to that stage sooner than later...
But for me all available properties to hunt on are minimum 2hrs, 3hrs, 3.5hrs & 4hrs away...but the range is only an hour away...so the range it is for me when it comes to milking accuracy & trying out different components with a 5 rifles...
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by andreweden » 03 Oct 2017, 7:38 pm

Bring on the ceramic box! :-)
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Oct 2017, 8:25 pm

a
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Oct 2017, 8:35 pm

Fair dinkim Stix he was setting up for long distance deer hunting with 41/2'' at 100 yds don't you just love these people
Sounds like he hadn't even worked up a load yet
Give him time a few bruises down the line he may be quiet a good shot providing he hasn't developed a flinch
Member-Deleted

Post by KennyA » 04 Oct 2017, 1:55 pm

Surely it's more about commom sense and accommodation at your local range.
The thought of a SSAA branch putting in a 'ban' is beyond beleaf and very short sited.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2017, 2:06 pm

KennyA wrote:Surely it's more about commom sense and accommodation at your local range.
The thought of a SSAA branch putting in a 'ban' is beyond beleaf and very short sited.

Is each club free to make up its own rules or does it have to follow an official stance from the State or National office?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 04 Oct 2017, 2:41 pm

andreweden wrote:My experience with my M98B in 308 with its muzzle brake is that I go to the far end of the range well away from people, after an hour someone comes along and plonks themselves next to me when there are plenty of other spare bays. After a few shots they make a face like someone has shat in their mouth and makes toddler like flouncy moves as they give up on shooting until the cease fire. They then announce that I should move because it is knocking them about too much.

That was the same situation that happened to me except that I unleashed the a-hole within and deliberately shredded his target when he reeled it in to patch. A .375 Cheytac at St Marys indoor range is probably the loudest you'll encounter and it makes the noise insulation on the roof rain down like volcanic ash. I was in bay 8 and 1-7 were free so why he just had to pick bench 7 I don't understand and then the hide of the tool to then complain about the noise...

If you like brakes and noise then go to the FCSA World Titles in the U.S during the last few minutes of practise....50+ braked 50 BMG's all shooting at the same time... :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 04 Oct 2017, 2:57 pm

it's not the noise, it's the muzzle blast
the 50's are really intimidating to watch them I have had to stand at least 10 benches away or risk doing my back but its ok if you are directly behind :allegedly:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Fair dinkim Stix he was setting up for long distance deer hunting with 41/2'' at 100 yds don't you just love these people
Sounds like he hadn't even worked up a load yet
Give him time a few bruises down the line he may be quiet a good shot providing he hasn't developed a flinch

Yup...
Prob too smart to have the need to work up a load...
Too stupid to recognise a flinch i dare say...
Or too big an ego to admit he had one...
Or all of the above...
I didnt hang around to watch him, after 3 shots i moved.
All i remember was how switched on & professional he appeared with his umpteen thousand dollar chassied 300wm o/fit, & also vaguely remember him giving me the 'dumb down' look with my useless tikka 7-08 i was struggling to keep consistant .75" groups with, next to my .222 single shot i had there.

Next target change was wen he mentioned sighting in for LR deer hunt.
Thats when the truth came out--i grabbed my targets off the frame, then looked at his target, looked back at him & asked what he calls long range--i got no reply so walked away with a grin.

Effn monkey lover with microscopic genitals...!

Im there every shoot & havnt seen him since...hopefully the fwit is too embarrassed to ever return.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 3:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:
KennyA wrote:Surely it's more about commom sense and accommodation at your local range.

Is each club free to make up its own rules or does it have to follow an official stance from the State or National office?

I cant be entirely sure blade, but im pretty sure the 2 ssaa clubs im in can make their own rules...it just has to go thru the committee & hierarchy approval process.
Cant speak for other clubs though...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sam45 » 04 Oct 2017, 3:46 pm

RoginaJack wrote:
drizo wrote:Sounds like Ripley to me, I’m pretty sure Belmont already have a brake ban

Nope, Belmont does not have a break ban but must use benches from about midway up. I was there last Wednesday and all was sweet.

AND SAM45, I reckon you're blowing hot air out of ya and yes, the last few weeks I've shot on the 1st 5 benches and there has been 2 young guys (223s), a 40ish (308), another (270) and 7mm Rem mag. sharing the other benches. If you want to gain a bit of knowledge ask a "old Dude", if you want to talk rubbish, well good luck but get your facts right... :lol:

AND at Belmont, as you enter the front door, have a look - there is a BIG sign re ear protection and also on the range proper!

Hot air out of my ass :lol: :lol: :lol: ..I have been going there a fair bit.. Thanks for the gainful insight to YOUR experince at Belmont. I gave mine, from what I have experienced over the last 2 years. Also I know the rules at Belmont, again thanks for the critique :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KennyA » 05 Oct 2017, 6:18 am

bladeracer wrote:

Is each club free to make up its own rules or does it have to follow an official stance from the State or National office?[/quot

That's a question that I'm trying to get clarified from ssaa.
So far the ssaa national has referred me to the ssaa state office.
Three days later and still no reply from ssaa qld.
More frustration.....
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2017, 9:18 am

sungazer wrote:There will be a set of SSR Standing Shooting Rules for the Range which you and every club must comply with. Then if you are a member of a club you could be further subjected to the rules and procedures of the club. Club rules cannot override the range rules which some part of will be signed off by the State or Territory Police

I understand that. I'm asking more along the lines of can the club invent its own rules based on nothing more than the whim of its managers with no recourse to the larger organisation. Like not opening on Sunday because it's the lord's day or not allowing left-handers in.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Oct 2017, 9:29 am

Sam45 wrote:Hot air out of my ass :lol: :lol: :lol: ..I have been going there a fair bit.. Thanks for the gainful insight to YOUR experince at Belmont. I gave mine, from what I have experienced over the last 2 years. Also I know the rules at Belmont, again thanks for the critique :thumbsup:

You'r welcome and I look forward to your next burst of verbal diarrhea.. :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics