More Vic LRD Garbage No more 3 of a kind.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

More Vic LRD Garbage No more 3 of a kind.

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Oct 2017, 6:11 pm

Latest refusal for a Permit from LRD arrived today, they want a letter of Genuine Need for my application for a 7.7 Jap on the basis of already owning a number of Cat B rifles. The fact I don't own a 7.7 does not come into it, only that I already own Cat B rifles even though they are all in other chamberings than what I have applied for. Is this the end of the long standing concept of allowing 3 of each chambering before requiring a letter of Genuine Need? Am I being paranoid in thinking this is a backdoor attempt at restricting the number of firearms shooters may posses? I can't help but smell (mouldy) Green in the background. I have sent a letter to SSAA about this latest political attack on our sport, I would urge all other Vic shooters to do the same, WE ARE UNDER COVERT ATTACK!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: More Vic LRD Garbage No more 3 of a kind.

Post by Daddybang » 25 Oct 2017, 6:23 pm

So ya can't own the same category firearms?!!! Ya right mate that sh#t stinks to high heaven!!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 25 Oct 2017, 9:39 pm

Not a backdoor mate, you’ve always needed a genuine reason. PTA are usually always granted unless your flagged.
If you want to buy heaps get a dealers license.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Oct 2017, 4:24 am

Off the mark a bit southeast varmiter, membership of an approved organization has always been a genuine reason. But with that, we have always been allowed to have up to 3 of any one chambering for Cat B firearms without question, after which a letter outlining why you need more than 3 is required. This still applied as recently as July when I bought a rifle, It does not apply now according to the latest letter. All competition shooters are entitled by long standing agreement to have a comp rifle, a spare rifle, and a back up rifle, as I shoot a large number of comps I have a number of rifles so why would I want to spend $2000+ in fees, plus massive security upgrades, plus Local Council hassles to get a Dealers Licence? A very unhelpful and FUDD comment.You must be one of those who believe only YOUR type of shooting is valid, perhaps? Have a good day.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Oct 2017, 6:28 am

That is crap. Ive never had a PTA knocked back but i guess that may change now :thumbsdown: i was looking at getting another rifle. Guess ill have to see if it would get approved before putting money down now.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 26 Oct 2017, 6:42 am

I just picked up my third .303B. PTA was sent ,no hassles. I hope this is not going to become an issue. Very troubling No.1, I hope you can get it sorted.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 26 Oct 2017, 6:57 am

Just send a cover letter with your PTA's.

Enfield #1 for pigs

Enfield #2 for big pigs

Enfield #3 for small deer

Enfield #4 for big deer

Enfield #5 For long range shooting

Enfield #6 for competition shooting

Enfield #7 Spare parts

Enfield #8 Colletors item

Enfield #9 Very rare collectors item

Enfield #10 Because #%^% you that's why
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 26 Oct 2017, 8:11 am

GTFO! Ive already got 3 x b, they better not knock back my next one.
Or maybe its collector license time?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Oct 2017, 3:50 pm

Part 3 / 23 Page 33 of The SA Firearms Act , "Permits to aquire firearms" covers the 2 pages of reasons that the Registrar may refuse a permit to acquire, mostly based on the Registrars opinion.
I'd bet that all states are the same here.

Here's an example

The Registrar may refuse an application if
"The register is not satisfied that the applicant has-
1) agenuine reason to acquire a firearm and

2) a genuine need to acquire a firearm that cannot be met by firearm already in the position of applicant"

It comes down to you supplying a cover letter with your PTA addressing the reasons why you need it and how it differs from something that you already have.

eg . I'm in need of a lightweight .223 rifle better suited to hiking long distances in the same caliber that I already own as to keep my ammunition standardized. My current .223 is not suited to hiking as it is a heavily constructed target shooting rifle.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Oct 2017, 7:10 pm

southwest shooter wrote:
45-70 govt , the only government I trust ..

Off subject, but I love that. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Oct 2017, 3:46 pm

the bastards just stung me on a permit to acquire,
so I have put in a submission to get the permit,
apparently if you own more than 10 centrefire firearms they want to know why you don't already have enough
tell me when is enough, it must be new rules to slow it all down I think, WTF
fingers crossed I already own the firearm, no fun at all :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Oct 2017, 4:43 pm

Marksman, out of interest, was this a send it in yourself PTA or online via a shop? I haven't had these issues (thankfully, yet). Recently I added a 3rd 308 to the family and another cenre fire. So I wonder if individual PTAs sent in by an individual rather than a shop get a different treatment.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Oct 2017, 6:16 pm

the application was sent in the post with 2 others that are a cat A, those permits were given but not the centrefire that is my 3rd 308
I rang LRD who said it is because I have more than 10 centrefire firearms, I did think because of the 3 x 308's but that's not the case so they say
the more than 10 centrefire's is a new one to me and I think is another way to delay or not grant the permit
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 Oct 2017, 6:54 pm

bentaz wrote:That's bullsh!t, I'm going to buy another centetfire rifle just because!

I'm not in vic but I'm gonna buy one out of sympathy!!!! :D :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 30 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

I still think this is a bit of a hit and miss, not a conspiracy...

Need to buy a few more guns to test the theory. However, apply through shop.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Oct 2017, 8:59 pm

I need another one in a week or so myself, will post if it's a problem.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

juststarting wrote:I still think this is a bit of a hit and miss, not a conspiracy...

Need to buy a few more guns to test the theory. However, apply through shop.

I know for a fact that vicpol are looking at ways to slow down gun ownership and I haven't heard of the 10 centrefire's rule before so I would say its something new and that makes me think it is a conspiracy, I have heard of the three of the same cal getting asked for a reason before but not the more than 10 centrefires
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 31 Oct 2017, 5:06 pm

I am not disagreeing. I am not agreeing either. Data point of 1 is just not something to start stirring the pot about, unless you're into conspiracies and all, of course.

Especially paper based crap that they physically have to process. For all you know, it could have been an excuse to get "you" of their back for moving too slow on paper, rather than saying they are too inefficient (not the government, lol). Like I said, 2 PTAs, online, two weeks ago, no issues with next day pickup (PTA filed by shop at 5pm Thursday, ready by Friday, one included 3rd 308).

Knowing for a fact, means you have something documented, right? Do you mind sharing, you can PM me and I can instruct how to do it anonymously. Perhaps you mean, you know through anecdotal accounts of someone. Which could still be true, but it is not "for a fact".

Also "looking at" implies analysis, not rollout of a solution, but it seems like it had been well and truly implemented if we were to go by current data. Too many ambiguities here, for me, personally, to call it.

Like I said, this needs to be tested a bit more, by those of us with many boomstick buying more :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2017, 6:00 pm

hmmmmmm

with all due respect juststarting talking to you is just like talking to my ex wife :lol: :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:

your theory is flawed mate, as I said in an earlier post I put 3 applications in by post and got 2 just not the one for centrefire
the reason, not in writing but told to me by LRD staff I have more than 10 firearms in centrefire, I know I know anecdotal, could be unreliable :lol:

the more than 10 centrefires reason is a new one to me, has anyone else heard of it?
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 31 Oct 2017, 6:12 pm

I think I need a new centrefire and a .22 for that matter (rugger American compact in green, if you're wondering). And maybe something lite and small in 300AAC just to errm something something theory. And a 300wm, I definitely want that and probably/definitely something in revolver action. Anyways, we'll work on your theory - right or wrong, more funs :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 01 Nov 2017, 3:37 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Off the mark a bit southeast varmiter, membership of an approved organization has always been a genuine reason. But with that, we have always been allowed to have up to 3 of any one chambering for Cat B firearms without question, after which a letter outlining why you need more than 3 is required. This still applied as recently as July when I bought a rifle, It does not apply now according to the latest letter. All competition shooters are entitled by long standing agreement to have a comp rifle, a spare rifle, and a back up rifle, as I shoot a large number of comps I have a number of rifles so why would I want to spend $2000+ in fees, plus massive security upgrades, plus Local Council hassles to get a Dealers Licence? A very unhelpful and FUDD comment.You must be one of those who believe only YOUR type of shooting is valid, perhaps? Have a good day.

Good to see your able to remain emotionally detached.
Not sure what your on about.
The absolute truth is that there is no limit as long as you can justify.
Also if you aquire more than 5 cat b in a year they will take a look at subsequent purchases more closely.
As a suggestion justification can be by specific match type or if for hunting can be ferals (dogs , goats), deer, varmit, long range pest control etc. you can easily get 20 cat b with setups for each type of scenario.
P.s. getting a dealers license is worth it and does not require councils if you don’t have a shop front. I have one and it’s great to aquire donor parts that can be transferred.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2017, 4:17 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:P.s. getting a dealers license is worth it and does not require councils if you don’t have a shop front. I have one and it’s great to aquire donor parts that can be transferred.

What is the cost of a Dealer Licence, do you have to send in reports and have regular inspections like dealers do, do you need security like dealers require? What donor parts can you not acquire without a dealer licence in Victoria?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 01 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
southeast varmiter wrote:P.s. getting a dealers license is worth it and does not require councils if you don’t have a shop front. I have one and it’s great to aquire donor parts that can be transferred.

What is the cost of a Dealer Licence, do you have to send in reports and have regular inspections like dealers do, do you need security like dealers require? What donor parts can you not acquire without a dealer licence in Victoria?

Yes more involved. But if you nominate it as a wholesale business and class 2. About $1200 for 3 years.
Also get the agent permit so you can act on behalf of another dealer.
The major consideration is not to trade as a retailer but wholesaler / agent.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Nov 2017, 1:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:I need another one in a week or so myself, will post if it's a problem.

Ordered a .223 just now and asked about this ten-centrefire limit thing. He hasn't had any knocked back PtA's and hasn't heard of any problems. Rifle should be here next week so I guess that's when I'll know for sure.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Nov 2017, 10:25 am

Alright, so put one in yesterday (cat A though), via a shop, SMS from shop this morning that it's been approved. So guessing it's been all done yesterday (i.e. normal Vic timeframes).
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Nov 2017, 10:32 am

True, but best to get all use case tested :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 Nov 2017, 1:37 pm

Don't tell me you got a bolt action .22 plinker JS. I thought such things were beneath you ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Nov 2017, 1:41 pm

Ok, first of all, shut the f*** up. Second, I got a pump action 22 plinker. Third, bolt 22 is next, so STFU! LOL. I take all my nay saying about 22s back. It never happened, let's move on :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Nov 2017, 5:22 pm

what I was told by the firearm registry JS was because I have more than 10 centerfire bolt actions they wanted more info and my submission worked, I have the 308 in my name ready to butcher and rebarrel just waiting for my new reamer,
I also said I put in 3 PTA's 2 for A classification that came through with no problems,
I am going to email them so I can get it in writing then it wont be seen as anecdotal :lol: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2017, 5:42 pm

marksman wrote:what I was told by the firearm registry JS was because I have more than 10 centerfire bolt actions they wanted more info and my submission worked, I have the 308 in my name ready to butcher and rebarrel just waiting for my new reamer,
I also said I put in 3 PTA's 2 for A classification that came through with no problems,
I am going to email them so I can get it in writing then it wont be seen as anecdotal :lol: :drinks:

I have more than ten centrefires and am still waiting for the .223 - hopefully tomorrow, and then I can tell you whether it got knocked back.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics