Cannabis.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Cannabis.

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Jan 2018, 1:20 pm

I heard a news report today on the local radio that persons on Medicinal Cannabis won't be able to "own a gun" (in the U.S).

Fair enough but why is a person with an alcohol or drug problem or mental health issue, able to hold a Driver's Licence and operate a motor vehicle?

I can't imagine the local druggies rushing to hand in weapons or cancelling their drivers licence.

Also, newspapers report that solicitors are claiming that their clients involved in vehicle crashes involving multiple victims, may have suddenly suffered a "psychotic episode"

The crashes over the last few months show that it's long overdue for politicians, police ministers, both state and Federal started calling for the cancellation of driver's licences of people with dismal driving records, after all, we're told that a licence is a privilege and not a right.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Cannabis.

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

I wonder if they will also stop people on pharmaceutical prescription drugs such as codeine from having them? :unknown:
Personally I'd rather have someone taking med cannabis holding a rifle than someone on oxy as the medical cannabis oil is not the same as sitting down and smoking a doobie! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 16 Jan 2018, 10:23 am

cannabis is not legal here some states just choose to handle it there own way the federal gov is starting crack down on the states and the funny thing is its the states that issue the cards are takeing the guns.
they will take your guns over driveing drunk but after 3 times becouse you are fellon and if you are drunk and have a gun you will go to jail and loose you guns.
i work on trucks i have a lic to drive them i am suject randum drug test and cannabis is one of the things i get tested for and if a fail i loose my job its the law.
if you get pulled over and you are on a prescription drug at the time they will treat you like you were drunk driveing there are warning labels on them not to drive
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jan 2018, 8:56 pm

Daddybang wrote:I wonder if they will also stop people on pharmaceutical prescription drugs such as codeine from having them? :unknown:
Personally I'd rather have someone taking med cannabis holding a rifle than someone on oxy as the medical cannabis oil is not the same as sitting down and smoking a doobie! :thumbsup: :drinks:

I'll bet that that's just because of the dosage rate. Most prescription drugs are taken in very small doses, the party only starts when people take well above the prescribed dosage.

I just find it amusing that the government are happy to allow it when theres tax to be had.

When it becomes "medical" suddenly, just like magic its all good :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

Ya right OOW the only reason they're allowing it now is because they can tax it!
Although contrary to what the poliscum tell us it's still almost impossible to get unless you're a young child or terminally ill at least here in qld don't know about the other states. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 18 Jan 2018, 10:53 am

RoginaJack wrote:I heard a news report today on the local radio that persons on Medicinal Cannabis won't be able to "own a gun" (in the U.S).

Fair enough but...

Is it? Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

I would say fair enough no one should operate a firearm under the influence of anything, and if that's law that makes perfect sense,.

Why should anyone with a medical prescription be prohibited from ever owning or using a firearm, even when not on their medication?
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I heard a news report today on the local radio that persons on Medicinal Cannabis won't be able to "own a gun" (in the U.S).

The crashes over the last few months show that it's long overdue for politicians, police ministers, both state and Federal started calling for the cancellation of driver's licences of people with dismal driving records, after all, we're told that a licence is a privilege and not a right.

I don't think it would be a problem in the states that have legalised cannabis for recreational use.
Legal pot is now a $10 billion a year industry in the US we should legalise and tax it here.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/legal-weed-market-to-hit-10-billion-in-sales-report-says-2017-12?utm_content=bufferc7ad8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-science&r=US&IR=T

On my recent trip to the US I was offered a toke of a joint in Harvard square Massachusetts, as the saying goes when in Rome do as the Romans do. We rode our pushbikes home while stoned without helmets.

In the US over 30,000 people a year are killed in motor vehicle accidents, the 4th amendment means they cannot have RBT or MDT like we have here. Nobody suggests violating the 4th to save lives.
The police make you stand on one leg ,walk in a straight line etc to see if you're drunk when they pull you over, nice to be able to have 2 beers (imported) and drive home without worrying.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jan 2018, 7:54 pm

Washington, DC police chief on marijuana: "All those arrests do is make people hate us"

Washington, DC Police Chief Cathy Lanier seems fairly enthusiastic about marijuana legalizationin the District, even decrying the past system of prohibition and how it tarnished community relations with police.

Lanier told the American News Women's Club last Wednesday, according to the Daily Beast, "All those [marijuana] arrests do is make people hate us." She added, "Marijuana smokers are not going to attack and kill a cop. They just want to get a bag of chips and relax. Alcohol is a much bigger problem."

The police chief clarified her comments to emphasize that she believes marijuana isn't healthy. "But I'm not policing the city as a mom," she said. "I'm policing it as the police chief — and 70 percent of the public supported this."

"Marijuana smokers are not going to attack and kill a cop"

Lanier is making a nuanced but firmly supportive legalization argument. She said that marijuana isn't always healthy for users. But she also acknowledged that it's a relatively benign drug in terms of public safety, and its use is so widespread and accepted that arresting people for pot can actually do more harm than good by hurting police relations with the community.

https://www.vox.com/2015/3/3/8143371/cathy-lanier-marijuana

The same Police chief on terror attacks-
Lanier, others urge civilians to sometimes confront active shooters

D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier is urging that civilians confronted by an active shooter in some cases try to stop the gunman before law enforcement authorities arrive, saying quick action could save lives.

The chief, appearing on the Sunday “60 Minutes” CBS news show, noted that in many multiple shootings, most victims are killed within the first 10 minutes — at the Navy Yard shootings in 2013, 10 of the 12 victims were dead in fewer than six minutes. Lanier told correspondent Anderson Cooper that police simply can’t get to the scene in time to stop the initial and deadliest onslaught.

“Your options are run, hide or fight,” Lanier said on the nationally broadcast show. “I always say if you can get out, getting out’s your first option, your best option. If you’re in a position to try and take the gunman down, to take the gunman out, it’s the best option for saving lives before police can get there.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/lanier-others-urge-civilians-to-sometimes-confront-active-shooters/2015/11/23/8757001e-91e4-11e5-a2d6-f57908580b1f_story.html

Bit of a difference between police in the US compared to Australia
Attachments
dc.jpg
dc.jpg (65.81 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Jan 2018, 8:49 pm

Bentaz....no seriously, that's what the news reader said...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 20 Jan 2018, 9:21 am

bentaz wrote:
Blackened wrote:

Fair enough but...

Is it? Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

I would say fair enough no one should operate a firearm under the influence of anything, and if that's law that makes perfect sense,.

Why should anyone with a medical prescription be prohibited from ever owning or using a firearm, even when not on their medication?

:thumbsup: some of the prescription drugs the doctors give me are much worse than than even non medical weed.
I was given anti epileptic drugs, one of the side effects was"psychotic episodes". Wtf?

well that sucks,have a fit and run over little johnny, take your meds and still run over little johnny :cry:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 20 Jan 2018, 11:24 am

I would be absolutely outraged if they ever decided that someone on prescription drugs could not hold a firearm license. A doctor can give you or the TAC a heads up that your not fit to drive, In this case I would accept a temporary suspension just like you would have for your drivers license. However other than that how many people are on prescription drugs and pain killers so they can perform normal tasks. Its also going to get worse when they make any medication containing codeine a prescription drug. I can foresee a blow out in prescriptions. There are so many people living with ailments that they either endure or are considered not bad enough for surgery and the only other option is medication.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rikta » 21 Jan 2018, 2:01 am

personally they have a 2nd amendment, any law limiting the ability of a USA citizen owning a firearm should be 100% unconstitutional, the FUDDS will disagree with me Im sure but meh...

If someone is so dangerous that they shouldnt have a gun, what are they doing mixing with the public?
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jan 2018, 9:48 am

:o but you see, that is the problem or difference between a driver licence and a firearms licence. I can't see where a firearm licence may be suspended, just cancelled! :shock:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lawyer Daggett » 31 Jan 2018, 9:49 am

It is quite understandable. Cannabis sedates, and gives one a 'no worries' attitude. A person effected heavily with Cannabis, if asked for the key to their gun safe may well oblige! additionally some people can hallucinate on cannabis and become psychotic. So, guns and cannabis don't mix.
Lawyer Daggett
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 10:45 am

But raging alcoholics are fine.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wrenchman » 31 Jan 2018, 11:25 am

driveing impaired is treated the same way it could be cough syrup or pain meds or alcohol the very states that issue medical cards are the same ones takeing there guns away becouse pot is a controlled substance.
becouse cannabis is not legal the federal government will not treat it as a second amendment issue its a fifth amendment issue they took a medical card out to brake the law so they let the states do what they want.
in most states were its not legal as long as you dont have a lot on you or driveing or handling a gun its just a fine and you keep all your rights you dont loose your right till you get a felony
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2018, 12:25 pm

Lawyer Daggett wrote:It is quite understandable. Cannabis sedates, and gives one a 'no worries' attitude. A person effected heavily with Cannabis, if asked for the key to their gun safe may well oblige! additionally some people can hallucinate on cannabis and become psychotic. So, guns and cannabis don't mix.

I smoked hooter from the time I was twelve til my early thirties. I have never and I have never seen anyone else get psychotic or hallucinate when only smoking weed I've also never seen any one so stoned that they would just hand over the keys to their safe(gun or otherwise). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 31 Jan 2018, 12:39 pm

I have a sister-in-law that has become quite psychotic and paranoid due to smoking dope. She's violent and in reality needs locking up. She is a total mess. Her own daughter is sh!t scared of her. I've had a couple of good mates also fry their brains and become useless basket cases due to excessive dope smoking. Tell me again how "harmless" it is. Like all drugs, it is people with addictive susceptibility that suffer the most.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2018, 1:28 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I have a sister-in-law that has become quite psychotic and paranoid due to smoking dope. She's violent and in reality needs locking up. She is a total mess. Her own daughter is sh!t scared of her. I've had a couple of good mates also fry their brains and become useless basket cases due to excessive dope smoking. Tell me again how "harmless" it is. Like all drugs, it is people with addictive susceptibility that suffer the most.

at no time did I say it was harmless like any substance if abused it can have side effects. What I said was in twenty years of being a smoker I never saw it so to me it only affects a small percentage in that way. As you said its those with an under lying issue ie an addictive susceptibility. As ya also said ya mates were smoking "excessive amounts"
I simply don't agree that someone that has a medical use for cannabis should be banned from owning a firearm :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2018, 5:22 pm

Like a lot of chemicals the effects of dope, long or short term will be all about two things
1, The dosage. The more often or the greater the amount the higher the risk. Particularly if it is acute. (lots in 1 big hit)
2, DNA/Genetics, this you have no control over. Its just a numbers game and who was rooting who & you popped out.

Some is luck some you have control over.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 31 Jan 2018, 5:38 pm

I only see the push for "medicinal" weed as a push to further normalize it for recreational use. There really isn't any other reason its pushed that hard. Soooo in short what is toted as some amazing cure for xyz (cough bulls**t cough cough) will be nothing more than thousands more emphysema cases and lung/tongue/mouth/throat cancer and the likes.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2018, 5:58 pm

Rikta wrote:I only see the push for "medicinal" weed as a push to further normalize it for recreational use. There really isn't any other reason its pushed that hard. Soooo in short what is toted as some amazing cure for xyz (cough bulls**t cough cough) will be nothing more than thousands more emphysema cases and lung/tongue/mouth/throat cancer and the likes.

You've never seen the difference it can make to a suffer of severe epilepsy I take it. ? Or the pain it can relieve for terminal cancer patients. ? :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics