Remington files for Bankrupcy

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Remington files for Bankrupcy

Post by sungazer » 16 Feb 2018, 9:10 am

I dont know if I got lucky as I sent off my Remington 700 to a top gunsmith that really does deal in the pointy end of accuracy. It was for fitting a new match grade barrel and we discussed having a look at the action and doing some work if it needed it. Well it turned out even after checking the action carefully that there were no surfaces that needed squaring up or changing even the bolt checked out. I think that "accurized" or accurizing of the action may be a oversell on everyone's part. Gunsmiths certainly want to do a bit more to pad out the bill the customers are happy to be able to put that in the add when they sell a gun whether it has been done or not.

Anyway I am just as guilty as I did replace the trigger the original wasn't that bad but I really like the new one. Not for everyone as it is a two stage but I like the what some call creep. I don't consider it as that as it is a totally different weight of pull. then you quite clearly get to the wall or break point from there it is nearly an unconscious movement. If I am in a competition with a wind coach I can be on target with the first stage taken up and wait for as long as it takes until he gives the go ahead and then its just gone. Or if you are making the call you can easily just let the trigger out again.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 17 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

Gamerancher wrote:My point exactly. The good old 700 action. The "plumbers" rifle.
Really good once you throw away all of the factory parts, get the action "accurized", then spend a bunch of money on aftermarket parts.
Why not just buy a better rifle to start with that just works straight out of the box? :unknown:

very very true :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Feb 2018, 7:40 pm

Yeh Marksman sako , expensive but good enough not to have to spend money on it after buying it
I looked into all that before buying sako's and whilst buying them not knocking other brands , sako has slipped since Berretta
took over but I think sako's are still worth buying at their prices and have the edge on other brands for not having to buy
after market bits
And in saying that I think they could do better with their stocks , very slap happy job on them
Remington used to be a good brand years ago almost on a par with sako so I hope Berretta don't go the same way as Remington
although I think it's already started
I know some others will disagree with my thinking as they may have had a good run with other brands but this thread is only my opinion
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 17 Feb 2018, 8:07 pm

I have to say I expected a bit more flash in the wood on my Sako I expected the bolt to glide like it was on ball bearing rollers ect. Its a nicer gun than a lot of other but not head and shoulders better I think. I have seen some pretty flash ones on this site. I find it does get hard to put a price on a gun now for me though. Howa put out a pretty good gun other than the stock so think of it as buying a barrelled action and adding a stock. I know to much hassel for some but they are a good solid performer for such a good price. If I wanted a good solid and accurate gun I would go custom and get a Barnard action a match grade barrel and either build a stock or buy a GRS stock for it. Thats going to be near the 4 grand mark. However on abused guns this morning I saw a Remington 700 police that had been tricked out that was trying to be sold for 8 grand they guy recons it cost him 9 I just cant see how that could be in the realm of possible.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Feb 2018, 9:10 am

Someone in a gun shop saw a sucker and fleeced him for all he could.
Bit like aftermarket 4x4 stuff, salesman will keep telling you that you can't do without it, and just keep going until you run out of cash/credit limit.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 19 Feb 2018, 9:52 am

i have a 700 older model the action is very nice and the triger is nice in the 80s they started makeing them with what we call lawyer trigers most guys have them adjusted or replaced you can hold the guns up with the thing and it wont snap.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by marksman » 20 Feb 2018, 8:21 am

this is the type of thing remington did and I think would have to do with them not doing as well as they should have, money first :thumbsdown:
www.cnbc.com/2014/12/05/remington-to-re ... ggers.html
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics