Interesting article regarding recent US school shooting

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Interesting article regarding recent US school shooting

Post by Baronvonrort » 25 Feb 2018, 10:52 am

Archie wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:
Archie wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:What I found interesting lately was the lack of reporting in Australian news about Wednesday's American high school stabbing rampage.

Didn't even rate a mention :unknown:

Got a link?

This is an older one, 21 stabbed in an American high school, the gun grabbers downplay it saying at least they weren't shot
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/22/us/pennsylvania-teen-high-school-stabbing-prison-sentence/index.html

Well, the bigger point from the media’s point of view is that in that attack, unlike the Florida shooting, no one died. But I’m still curious as to the one that occurred on Wendnesday?

I am curious about that one as well if anyone can find a link please post it.

This mass stabbing in a Texas college was 5 years ago he wounded 14 people- https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/09/lone-star-college-stabbing/2067449/

Perhaps I should ask if we should blame the knife, the availability of knives or the individuals for those attacks.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 25 Feb 2018, 1:44 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well I must be way off the mark then. Everyone in the US is as happy a pig in s**t. And law abiding citizens. Educated, healthy, wealthy and sane. Ooops and live very long lives.

Soooo, why are they shooting each other so bloody often? What is the root cause?

That is one big wide brush you wave around in generalizations. I can help educate you but like we say you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

The vast majority of the US is as safe as any place in the world. The only real places to worry are those with the strictest gun laws like Chicago or DC.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 25 Feb 2018, 1:50 pm

marksman wrote:I have to say that what wanneroo said about the US is what I have heard from my daughter and son in law who live in the US
and I have asked a heap of questions about especially what is reported from our media sources
we don't get the same perspective from the media here in Australia,
some of the things that I have asked about because that is what has been in our news has made them roll around laughing
our media is that full of s**t

Well one, it is always interesting to see and watch Australian media, especially left wing organizations like ABC, describe or discuss the United States and reason being most of the time it is totally detached from reality and facts to the point it's hysterical. Second it's always been fun to meet and talk to Australians and Kiwis who only know of the USA from Hollywood. Years ago when a company I worked for used to hire 150 Australians and Kiwis every ski season, some used to arrive expecting gun and knife fights breaking out all around them and then after a few weeks in the USA realized America isn't a Hollywood film set and that what is depicted on film has little to do with the real world.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Feb 2018, 2:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Soooo, why are they shooting each other so bloody often? What is the root cause?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Feb 2018, 3:02 pm

Well wanneroo that last statement rings fairly true to me ''The only real places to Worry about are the places with
the strictest gun laws '' it looks like the laws don't work there
My thinking is that people should be allowed to carry and have hand guns providing they go through the right channels
to aquire them such as finger prints ,ballistics on the firearm , training , background checks, medical check for mental
stability and probably a few more that I can't think of at the moment
In the end you are completely in charge of that gun and say for instance you have an argument and shoot and kill some
one then you do life imprisonment not manslaughter or a trade off its ''LIFE'' for murder
Now if you shoot and kill someone in self defence due course should be taken to prove that this is exactly what happened
and not be treated as a criminal until such times as it is or is not proven
This reason that the police give of they don't want everyone armed and taking things into their own hands is flawed
the crims do that now only the legal owners don't so doesn't that say something
And all the anti gun people wouldn't buy guns '' so they say '' then there is the ownership of the gun with the name of the owner
attached to the ballistics of that gun easy to find out who done what ''or a lot easier anyway'
The benefits would be that criminals would think twice before entering a dwelling with intent to commit a crime while knowing that the
occupant was armed
At the moment these mongrels are picking on the easy targets like old people and the less capable
Hand to hand training has merit but how do you get an eighty year old to kick the crap out of an eighteen year old offender for
defence
My question to the anti gun people is '' If the guns are so dangerous and have a mind of their own so as to shoot people then ban them
from law abiding peoples hands then why do police and security guards have them strapped to their sides and then why ban a gun on its
looks because it will frighten people when police and security guards have them in full view of these so easily frightened people''
It makes no sense and what don't make sense usually doesn't work proven fact
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2018, 3:04 pm

wanneroo wrote:
marksman wrote:I have to say that what wanneroo said about the US is what I have heard from my daughter and son in law who live in the US
and I have asked a heap of questions about especially what is reported from our media sources
we don't get the same perspective from the media here in Australia,
some of the things that I have asked about because that is what has been in our news has made them roll around laughing
our media is that full of s**t

Well one, it is always interesting to see and watch Australian media, especially left wing organizations like ABC, describe or discuss the United States and reason being most of the time it is totally detached from reality and facts to the point it's hysterical.

Don't worry wannaroo it's the same when they're discussing our own country as marksman said our media is full of sh@t!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 25 Feb 2018, 3:32 pm

The US has much harsher sentencing laws than we do. In some states the three strikes rule applies and they can be very minor crimes. A lot of banned for life from owning a gun again for some very minor stuff. In Australia you might be ineligible to hold a license for two years perhaps 5. Very hard to compare, I do think in the US they make more generalizations when it come to sentencing that are on the harsher side rather than having the mitigating circumstances that is so often used here. I do think that each case needs to be dealt with and decided individually though not a one size fits all.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

Archie wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:What I found interesting lately was the lack of reporting in Australian news about Wednesday's American high school stabbing rampage.

Didn't even rate a mention :unknown:

Got a link?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... tml?espv=1 ... shows link to an Aussie news page :lol: ... perhaps I should have said it barely rated a mention :thumbsup:

I also remember a certain Samurai attack that killed 29 people and injured 130 people at a train station ... that also didn't get the coverage you'd expect in Australia (choosing my words more carefully now ;) )
https://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/01/worl ... index.html
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Feb 2018, 8:57 pm

There are a large number of these "mass murders " And many other crime related murders, not just with firearms.

Yet the US is so safe! As safe as anywere in the world.

And yet they all need to carry hand guns for self defence? And now suggested teachers should carry. Some schools already have full time security, a rarity here.

Who is pulling who's leg?

Something is not right. What sort of society is this?

In my view, it's primarily social or cultural. And gun laws too at least to some degree. There has to be a reason (s) why people want murder lots of their fellow citizens so often. A lot of nuts or angry people on the US. More than most countries.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 26 Feb 2018, 7:53 am

Probably a more interesting article,
https://constitution.com/school-shootin ... lieve-set/
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 26 Feb 2018, 12:56 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Well wanneroo that last statement rings fairly true to me ''The only real places to Worry about are the places with
the strictest gun laws '' it looks like the laws don't work there
My thinking is that people should be allowed to carry and have hand guns providing they go through the right channels
to aquire them such as finger prints ,ballistics on the firearm , training , background checks, medical check for mental
stability and probably a few more that I can't think of at the moment
In the end you are completely in charge of that gun and say for instance you have an argument and shoot and kill some
one then you do life imprisonment not manslaughter or a trade off its ''LIFE'' for murder
Now if you shoot and kill someone in self defence due course should be taken to prove that this is exactly what happened
and not be treated as a criminal until such times as it is or is not proven
This reason that the police give of they don't want everyone armed and taking things into their own hands is flawed
the crims do that now only the legal owners don't so doesn't that say something
And all the anti gun people wouldn't buy guns '' so they say '' then there is the ownership of the gun with the name of the owner
attached to the ballistics of that gun easy to find out who done what ''or a lot easier anyway'
The benefits would be that criminals would think twice before entering a dwelling with intent to commit a crime while knowing that the
occupant was armed
At the moment these mongrels are picking on the easy targets like old people and the less capable
Hand to hand training has merit but how do you get an eighty year old to kick the crap out of an eighteen year old offender for
defence
My question to the anti gun people is '' If the guns are so dangerous and have a mind of their own so as to shoot people then ban them
from law abiding peoples hands then why do police and security guards have them strapped to their sides and then why ban a gun on its
looks because it will frighten people when police and security guards have them in full view of these so easily frightened people''
It makes no sense and what don't make sense usually doesn't work proven fact

We have sparse property crime and violent crime where I live because we all have guns and so it's almost a blessing for the crims if they get caught early otherwise they come down with fatal lead poisoning.

Understand in the USA that if you shoot someone in "self defense", first you have to take into account the local/state laws and how they apply to the situation. So the police are going to look at that and then the local district attorney and if that isn't definitive, then a grand jury will be empaneled to examine the evidence and to recommend charges or not.

We don't really need big government up our butt with all sorts of ballistics testing, fingerprints, etc. Not necessary. Stats show those licensed to carry firearms are non existent in the crime stats. In my state of 13 million, over 10% of the adult population is licensed to carry firearms and of those of us that keep up with the stats, we can only find one case of such an adult being charged with a homicide in recent years. Yes, 1 case. Your people that legally carry firearms are not your problem and never have been. If there is any problem in the USA it's states and localities with strict gun laws where gang bangers already banned from firearms ownership rule the streets and the public cannot carry to protect themselves.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 26 Feb 2018, 1:01 pm

sungazer wrote:The US has much harsher sentencing laws than we do. In some states the three strikes rule applies and they can be very minor crimes. A lot of banned for life from owning a gun again for some very minor stuff. In Australia you might be ineligible to hold a license for two years perhaps 5. Very hard to compare, I do think in the US they make more generalizations when it come to sentencing that are on the harsher side rather than having the mitigating circumstances that is so often used here. I do think that each case needs to be dealt with and decided individually though not a one size fits all.

A conviction for a felony is a ban for life.

A conviction for a misdemeanor with a jail sentence of 2 years or more is a ban for life, even if not given that penalty.

One night of involuntary commitment is a ban for life.

Sometimes decades later through tens of thousands of dollars and paperwork and court, pardons can be granted and such.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sungazer » 26 Feb 2018, 1:10 pm

What type of crime is a felony?
Would a shoplifter charged with theft? Someone that drives off without paying for gas? Smoking dope if not legal in your state? Prostitution either selling or buying? Any type of driving offense?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2018, 1:15 pm

No no NO.
It's not the guns, or the knives, or the laws, or even the stupid media and politicians, it's bloody people.
Here, there, and everywhere there has been a problem, there has been a person involved.
Simple, ban the bastards.
Isn't that the way the Gummint does things?

:mrgreen:
:lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 26 Feb 2018, 1:29 pm

sungazer wrote:What type of crime is a felony?
Would a shoplifter charged with theft? Someone that drives off without paying for gas? Smoking dope if not legal in your state? Prostitution either selling or buying? Any type of driving offense?

None of those things. That would all fall in the misdemeanor category.

Felonies are typically getting into significant violence that causes bodily injury or property theft or destruction.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2018, 11:50 am

An interesting article about Israel gun law.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Artic ... aspx/21714
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 27 Feb 2018, 12:03 pm

Thats a very good article with well chosen examples. it should do the rounds in Australian press.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Archie » 27 Feb 2018, 12:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:An interesting article about Israel gun law.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Artic ... aspx/21714

So basically sounds like:
- Israel has stopped mass shootings by giving everyone (at least basic - maybe not, as the article says, very advanced marksmanship) military training and allowing widespread access to guns. For what its worth I think the article underestimates the extent to which compulsory service instils a bit of discipline and self-awareness in people, over and above any shooting skills.
- Australia has stopped mass shootings by heavily restricting access to guns
- America has allowed ongoing mass shootings by allowing widespread access to guns and with seemingly ineffective filtration mechanism as to who can get them or their level of training.

And to be clear, I said ineffective, not-non existent, because either the laws aren't there, or they are not being enforced - because of poor work by FBI or local police. Regardless outcome is pretty much the same, the nutters still get their hands on close-to-military grade weaponry - and yes, I know an AR15 isn't really military grade because its semi- not full-auto, but then again, even an standard M4 isn't "full" full-auto in normal configuration so maybe that's a minor point. Speaking for myself, I don't think I'm going to care too much for the specific difference in effective rate of fire if one is being pointed at me. Or my kid.

Either way, solution to mass shootings seems simple enough.

Restrict the guns or bring back the draft.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Feb 2018, 7:55 am

Here's an interesting break down of the statistics on gun related deaths in the U.S that I received from a mate in Oklahoma this morning.
Read into it what you will.

Written by;
Robert Göltl
February 16 at 7:09am

There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. U.S. population 324,059,091 as of Wednesday, June 22, 2016. Do the math: 0.000000925% of the population dies from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant! What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:

• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws
• 15% are by (alleged) law enforcement
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – gun violence
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths

So technically, "gun violence" is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Well, first, how are those deaths spanned across the nation?
• 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
• 344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
• 333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
• 119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)

So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.

This basically leaves 3,825 for the entire rest of the nation. California had 1,169 and Alabama had 1.

Now, who has the strictest gun laws by far? California, of course , so understand, it is not "guns" causing this. It is the number of criminal persons residing in those cities and states.

Are 5,100 deaths per year horrific? How about in comparison to other deaths? All death is sad and especially so when it is in the commission of a crime, but that is the nature of crime. Robbery, death, rape, assault all is done by criminals. Thinking that criminals will obey laws is ludicrous.

What about other causes of death each year?
• 40,000+ die from a drug overdose
• 36,000 die per year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths
• 34,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities (exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide)
• 200,000+ people die each year from preventable medical errors. You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!
• 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. If Obama and the anti-gun movement focused their attention on heart disease, even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.). A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides... Simple, easily preventable 10% reductions!

So you have to ask yourself, in the grand scheme of things, why the focus on guns? It's pretty simple: Taking away guns gives control to governments.

The founders of this nation knew that regardless of the form of government, those in power will become corrupt and seek to rule as the British did by trying to disarm the populace of the colonies. It is not difficult to understand that a disarmed populace is a controlled populace.

Thus, the second amendment was proudly and boldly included in the U.S. Constitution. It must be preserved at all costs.

So the next time someone tries to tell you that gun control is about saving lives, look at these facts and remember these words from Noah Webster: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force at the command of Congress can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power."

Remember, when it comes to "gun control," the important word is government “control, " not “gun."
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 28 Feb 2018, 9:43 am

Gamerancher wrote:Here's an interesting break down of the statistics on gun related deaths in the U.S that I received from a mate in Oklahoma this morning.
Read into it what you will.

Written by;
Robert Göltl
February 16 at 7:09am

There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. U.S. population 324,059,091 as of Wednesday, June 22, 2016. Do the math: 0.000000925% of the population dies from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant! What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:

• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws
• 15% are by (alleged) law enforcement
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – gun violence
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths

So technically, "gun violence" is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Well, first, how are those deaths spanned across the nation?
• 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
• 344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
• 333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
• 119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)

So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.

This basically leaves 3,825 for the entire rest of the nation. California had 1,169 and Alabama had 1.

Now, who has the strictest gun laws by far? California, of course , so understand, it is not "guns" causing this. It is the number of criminal persons residing in those cities and states.

Are 5,100 deaths per year horrific? How about in comparison to other deaths? All death is sad and especially so when it is in the commission of a crime, but that is the nature of crime. Robbery, death, rape, assault all is done by criminals. Thinking that criminals will obey laws is ludicrous.

What about other causes of death each year?
• 40,000+ die from a drug overdose
• 36,000 die per year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths
• 34,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities (exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide)
• 200,000+ people die each year from preventable medical errors. You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!
• 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. If Obama and the anti-gun movement focused their attention on heart disease, even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.). A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides... Simple, easily preventable 10% reductions!

So you have to ask yourself, in the grand scheme of things, why the focus on guns? It's pretty simple: Taking away guns gives control to governments.

The founders of this nation knew that regardless of the form of government, those in power will become corrupt and seek to rule as the British did by trying to disarm the populace of the colonies. It is not difficult to understand that a disarmed populace is a controlled populace.

Thus, the second amendment was proudly and boldly included in the U.S. Constitution. It must be preserved at all costs.

So the next time someone tries to tell you that gun control is about saving lives, look at these facts and remember these words from Noah Webster: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force at the command of Congress can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power."

Remember, when it comes to "gun control," the important word is government “control, " not “gun."

Very interesting GR.
Thanks for posting! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2018, 5:54 pm

Yes interesting. Certainly not simple.
What constantly perplexes me is why do people want to carry out mass murder on fellow citizens and especially children?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Feb 2018, 6:03 pm

A feeling of power. In there daily life a lot of these guys are loners, shy, depressed sometimes oppressed by others so they strike out to get that feeling of revenge and power. Mental Health awareness and treatment would go a long way to avoiding some of these from happening.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 28 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yes interesting. Certainly not simple.
What constantly perplexes me is why do people want to carry out mass murder on fellow citizens and especially children?

I guess in a way it's a good thing we don't understand them. I'd hate to think how my mind would have to work to be able to. (If that makes sense) :crazy:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm

" I guess in a way it's a good thing we don't understand them. I'd hate to think how my mind would have to work to be able to. (If that makes sense) :crazy:"

In a, strange way I think your a wise man. Confused but wise. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics