Another anti-gun poll.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Another anti-gun poll.

Post by Gwion » 27 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

Then the revisitation of legislation should include compulsory action on the part of said authorities, with liability appointed to any department &/or individual that fails in its duty of care to both the perpetrator and the victims and US society as a whole.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 28 Feb 2018, 12:03 am

Is it possible not being able to buy M15 Auto rifles at the local hardware store over the counter might slow down the murder rate.As with our fishing management our firearm management in this country is well balanced and available to the public.I have 7 firearms all legit and I use them regularly.I used M16 and bren guns in the military as well as SLR in 7.62.There is no public use for these types of firearms they are for quick and effective killing of the enemy not to take to school.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 28 Feb 2018, 8:04 am

the firearm is not the problem it is just the tool used,
we have seen different tools used here in Australia that are not banned,
we know it would be ludicrous to try to ban them
we all know that the nut behind the butt is the cause of firearm incidences,
firearms do not have a mind of there own and cannot get up and kill people
Duncan I get yours and Gwion's perspective I do,
I just don't agree that making another rule because this ones not working
because someone didn't take things seriously enough and did not do there job is a good thing
especially when it penalises other law abiding people who do no wrong
nobody can legislate crime away, cannot, cant
it will only stop the law abiding people from doing or having what they had or did, we all know that here in oz
the people who do this type of thing don't care, they will find a tool to do the job
it does come down to someone did not do what they should have to stop this wacko from walking the streets let alone having a firearm

no different to the warnings that were not taken seriously regarding Martin Bryant

and we need to get a media service that tells the truth :violin:
yea that's going to happen :lol: :lol: :lol:

we also have hardware stores that sell firearms here in oz legally, why cant a hardware store sell firearms
my daughter who has lived in America 5 years, cannot buy a firearm till she is a resident, do not believe the crap you hear about buying guns in the US
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2018, 10:41 am

duncan61 wrote:Is it possible not being able to buy M15 Auto rifles at the local hardware store over the counter might slow down the murder rate.As with our fishing management our firearm management in this country is well balanced and available to the public.I have 7 firearms all legit and I use them regularly.I used M16 and bren guns in the military as well as SLR in 7.62.There is no public use for these types of firearms they are for quick and effective killing of the enemy not to take to school.

And how many times did you use those firearms to shoot up a school? I'm guessing none? Just like virtually all licenced gun owners.
The type of firearm does not matter. If you want to shoot up a school and can't legally buy an AR15, then you'll buy one illegally, or use something altogether different, fire is always good for mass murder and freely available to everybody, without a licence or background check. People without licences also use vehicles for mass murder, again freely available to everybody.

Can you think of anywhere in the world where increasing gun control lead to less violence?

Semi-auto rifles are indeed very good hunting rifles, and also provide plenty of recreational enjoyment. You have very quick follow up shots without changing your sight picture. They're particularly good for pest control - which is why they're still legal for that purpose. How many pigs and goats were taken in this country with AG42's, SKS's, L1A1's, AR15's, Mini14's and M1 Carbines before they were banned? How many rabbits and foxes were taken with Ruger 10/22's and Stirling Model 20's - in the hands of children? How many people were murdered with those same firearms?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Feb 2018, 11:49 am

duncan61 wrote:Is it possible not being able to buy M15 Auto rifles at the local hardware store over the counter might slow down the murder rate.As with our fishing management our firearm management in this country is well balanced and available to the public.I have 7 firearms all legit and I use them regularly.I used M16 and bren guns in the military as well as SLR in 7.62.There is no public use for these types of firearms they are for quick and effective killing of the enemy not to take to school.

I feel like I'm picking on you duncan so I apologise if you feel that I am, I really don't want to look that way

you do realise that before M16's and SLR's people did take there guns to school, the 303, a war gun made for the purpose of killing people
and nobody blinked an eye or got there feelings hurt about it
there are some schools that still have firearms as part of there curriculum in Australia
Geelong Grammer School - Timbertop being one of
kids at this school can get there firearm licence (junior permit) at the school
amazing hey, no armed guards or armed teachers
this country's firearm management is not at all balanced, it makes law abiding gun owners look like they are criminals and cannot be trusted
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 28 Feb 2018, 1:28 pm

Not suggesting any 'ban'. Just ensure that any reports of potential danger from individuals is taken seriously and has manditory action taken. If the 'authorities' are held responsible they will act.
Like here, in Aust, when health care workers suspect or have evidence of domestic violence they are legally bound to report it. Sure, it may result in some cases being investgated that end up being a dead end but isn't that better than the alternative?
Surely there is a reasonable way to keep weapons out of the hands of loonies with out penalising the average law abiding person.

Ok. The nutters 'could' choose another 'tool' and sometimes do but by and large they don't. They pick the easiest, most efficient and available means to their chosen end. And that, in the US, is a gun. Putting checks and balances in place to prevent easy access for nut jobs is not a bad thing because, as we all agree, it's the nut jobs that are the problem...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 05 Mar 2018, 1:49 pm

rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Mar 2018, 4:33 pm

rsj223 wrote:http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/5254261/if-you-are-not-sure-dont-shoot-duck-hunters-warned/?cs=80

Got two yes votes thru before it chuckled a wobbly!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2018, 4:36 pm

Come on fella's, it's at 50/50 at the moment, we're slipping.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 05 Mar 2018, 5:58 pm

I put in about 10 votes. looks like we are losing this one.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 05 Mar 2018, 6:33 pm

bentaz wrote:I voted no.

You believe duck hunting should no longer be legal?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Mar 2018, 7:16 am

The blokes that I know that go duck hunting do so to fill their freezer. Some shoot over crops for pest control. I don't have a problem with that.
If you are out there just to blast them out of the sky, take up Field and Game.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by pedro4977 » 27 Apr 2018, 12:39 am

If I was allowed to own a AR15 it would identify as a coffee machine of cultural significance
You can’t legislate against ignorance, stupidity or an opinion made up of both!
pedro4977
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics